FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is This Logic?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Is This Logic?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:15:20 am

Logic Pro has been added to the App Store - price is dropped to 200.00 and the Express version has been scrapped, along with the whole idea of a "suite" (and Soundtrack Pro).

This is still version 9; "X" nowhere in sight.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-pro/id459578486?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Inexplicably, the software still uses tracks.

Some perspective:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/12/logic-9-and-updated-mainstage-on-app-...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Is This Logic?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:27:02 am

Also info here:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/12/08/logic-pro-mainstage-released-on-the-m...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:35:15 am

It's a minor update and apparently still no XML from FCPX (that's a shame)
But I'm reading this from Apple, were Clip Connections included before?

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/specs/

"Clip Connections keep secondary material in place while trimming and moving the Primary Storyline.
Choose to hide or display Clip Connections in the timeline."

So, one can turn it on and off? (that would be good for FCPX)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:49:07 am

Christian,

Interesting ... clip connections in a traditional track environment?

What other heresy might follow?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:05:55 am

Yup, they seem to enjoy this "Storyline" concept...that's worrying.
Hopefully, that and "Clip Connections" will both be optional, but I don't know...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:08:30 am

[Christian Schumacher] "Yup, they seem to enjoy this "Storyline" concept...that's worrying."

Or maybe they'll figure out how to do it right and keep tracks. That way they can show the video guys how to fix their mess.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:47:32 am

[Christian Schumacher] "Yup, they seem to enjoy this "Storyline" concept...that's worrying."

[Oliver Peters] Or maybe they'll figure out how to do it right and keep tracks. That way they can show the video guys how to fix their mess."

Or maybe it's just a copy and paste error on the web site.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:05:21 am

[David Lawrence] "Or maybe it's just a copy and paste error on the web site."

That's because they couldn't disable the portions they didn't want to copy. It overwrote the what they had previously written there.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:24:28 am

Whilst I've certainly had my moneys worth out of Logic Pro it is galling to see it being sold for such a low price.

Great news for the first time buyer though.

I'm just wondering how one gets the App store to acknowledge the existing version I've got to allow me to
easily download any future updates.

I'm currently upgrading to 9.1.6 via software updtate and look forward to reading the upgrade documentation.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:23:54 am

Seems kind of like a blow to Logic if I'm seeing this right. Logic at $500 was a great deal as it was a good DAW, competitive with Pro Tools that came with more extras than anything else out there. Presets, loops, SFX etc. The Apple site says the whole package is 400MB or so which has to be much less than what you got in the packaged version on several DVDs. Is it just me or is Apple making a mockery out of their formerly, legitimate "pro apps". Or is this just a cheaper version with the disc version still available?

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:00:07 am

'Seems to me Apple is in the process of dumbdowning Logic Pro. Perhaps the rumors of GarageBand Pro are correct. My synopsis is 1) Logic Pro reached its pinnacle several years ago when it was almost as good as Pro Tools, and 2) the reaction from the audio industry to GBPro won't be a violent as FCPX, since most people use Pro Tools, many have never touched Logic, and those who touched Logic likely know other DAWs, especially Pro Tools, Pro Tools 11 will again cement its reign, and whatever is #2 will have a large gap.

Apple, take Logic Pro and shove it up your aiff.......

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:22:30 am

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/specs/:
"(19GB of optional content available via in-app download)"

"Clip Connections keep secondary material in place while trimming and moving the Primary Storyline. Choose to hide or display Clip Connections in the timeline."

I can't see no clip connections or a primary storyline, so maybe we see here LogicProX plan B.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:59:47 pm

My bad

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Mark Bein
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:16:19 pm

Pssst - You get 19 GB additional Content with the Purchase of "Mainstage" ($30)

But lets rile everyone up first ;-)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:38:08 pm

Mark,

There seems to be some discussion of this in the comments to the linked articles.

I believe the way it will work is continued updates via "Software Update" for current installs; App Store updates for new purchases.

Or this might be the "end of support" for the version you have and you only get updates if you upgrade (ie purchase new).

Franz.

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:31:19 am

hiding clip connections doesnt turn them off

it hides the little line that represents the connection

and that great feature is in the pop up window for project view down bottom right of FCPX timeline

good to know the software your criticizing

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:40:00 am

:=) please read title: Logic Pro, not FinalCutProX :=)

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:48:25 am

[Ben Scott] " good to know the software your criticizing"

I was talking about Logic and inferred that was a feature somewhat different.
BTW, I don't own FCPX but I had worked on it, is that allowed here?
Gregor has confirmed that there's no such a feature in Logic. Yet.
Would that make it from FCPX? Can we even discuss it?

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Is This Logic? ... or a Typical Apple Application?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20:28 pm

I thought that the following comment, from user "apoclypse" at ars technica was particularly germane:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/logic-pro-coming-to-mac-app-store...

Logic's UI was overhauled for version 8 and the ground work was laid out for 64-bit support but the core of the application is still stuck in the 90's. Logic has bugs in it that have been there for years that haven't gotten addressed. The way Logic handles the audio buffer is old-school at best and there is need of some serious revisiting of the AU implementation to support or match what is going on in the VST3/Cubase world at the moment. Not to mention that Logic still isn't using the more modern apis that Apple introduced over the last few years like Grand Central (clearly since not all things in Logic use all cores and Logic multi-core performance is generally shoddy at best), or opencl. FCPX on the other hand has been rebuilt from the ground up to use these new apis and technologies and it is the better for it.

Right now Logic still has to reload the engine when switching between multiple open projects, the same for when you change the buffer settings. Every other DAW I use (Reason, Live, Studio One, REAPER), can change the buffer size at will without having to wait until the tracks reload their plugins. Logic in general is pretty crashtastic, the AU-bridge crashes consistently. logic still relies too heavily on the environment for simple things like adding an arpeggiator to a track. Why the hell is the pitch and time machine still a post process? I love Logic, I have been using it since version 5, but I'm tired of having to deal with the crashes and and silly bugs that haven't been addressed in years. Especially when you have the other DAW makers actually stepping up their game. Studio One is awesome and has features that we have yet to see in Logic. Cubase has some really great features that I would love to see in Logic, Even AVID is getting their head in the game (though they are extremely late).

What makes Logic popular is price. Frankly, Logic is the best bang for buck DAW on the market, at $200 its a not brainer for Mac musicians. That still doesn't make it great, its just okay at what it does. Apple seems to be fine with middle of the raod feature implementations (Flex while cool as a UI concept has crappy timestretch algo's imo, tends to breakup faster than Live's implementation, imo).

Those observations ring true (in both their appreciation and frustration) - anyone who has used any of Apple's pro apps through the years can, I'm sure, recognize certain themes.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:08:33 pm

I'd guess that Logic is getting a ground up rewrite. I suspect Apple moved the current version of Logic to the App Store because the new X version is taking longer. They may have learned from FCPX not to pull an existing product for a replacement until it's ready. In the meantime they didn't want to holdup the shift to App Store distribution.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:47:07 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'd guess that Logic is getting a ground up rewrite."

Craig,

I suspect they're trying to get rid of those difficult, inflexible "tracks" as well as re-branding the concept of "busses" as "roles". That kind of work can take longer than expected.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:29:45 pm

thye better leave logic alone. Id rather no more devlopment than change it all together. Id hate to have to use pro tools.

its currently 64 bit, what more do we need.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 9, 2011 at 9:27:01 pm

I don't do mixes as my primary gig but I do them from time to time. I started looking a round a couple of years ago as I wanted to move into 5.1. I had pro tools with a M-Box and was looking at serious $$$ to get into PT 5.1. I tried logic since it wasn't too expensive and would work with my hardware which is a big deal. I was disappointed to find logic wouldn't read the x-dissolves from an FCP OMF. WTF? I like to use FCP to do a lot of the audio editing since it's quite good for laying stuff out, and I'm big on cross fades to smooth everything out. I would have thought being an Apple product it would be all over an FCP OMF. I also found the program pretty rigid and wanted something kind of like Soundtrack where it used NLE style key commands.

Then I tried Nuendo and haven't looked back. One of my favorite programs ever. I can set up the hot keys to act like FCP, not exactly but close. It reads the OMFs perfectly with all x-fades, and has some of the most logical editing tools I've ever seen. Like gaining a track is as simple as holding your mouse over it and turning the mouse wheel for one our as many tracks as you like. You can also add fades and tweak fades to as many tracks as you like all at the same time.

Being mostly an editor who didn't want to learn a whole new set of key commands for basic editing I've found this a great app. It's also 32bit float, which gives it a huge amount of internal dynamic range.

But it will be interesting to see how things evolve for Apple. It seems there are companies that specialize in this stuff that are putting major effort into making really good software and who's live depend on it. If pro apps turn into just a hobby for Apple they'll get passed by pretty quick. Not that they seem to care.

Robert Brown

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]