FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intel’s Ivy Bridge mobile CPU lineup revealed, coming April/May

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:53:40 pm

http://9to5mac.com/2011/12/06/intels-ivy-bridge-mobile-cpu-lineup-revealed-...

So we can scry Apple's road map and certainly better Windows laptops too.

I'd love to see the details on Xeon schedule roadmap for those who need desktop power. Too many delays and that's impacting us for sure for those of us anticipating what may come of/to the MacPro line.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Intel’s Ivy Bridge mobile CPU lineup revealed, coming April/May
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:00:28 pm

On the plus side it will help elongate the endless speculation about what Apple may or may not do with it's Pro line

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:28:03 pm

Of course those who decided not to buy MacPros for those end of year tax deductions are looking at those MBPs and now saying, "they'll be eclipsed in May."

There are always speed bumps but with rumors of complete redesigns for the entire Mac line, people can get gun shy. I still grumble over the timing of my last Nubus Mac purchase.
The only "complete redesigns" I can see for MBP is dropping optical drives as well as going to an SSD system disk as standard with a spinning plater HD as well for files. Express port might go away entirely (on 17" currently). Would Apple be daring enough to drop Firewire?

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:48:59 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Would Apple be daring enough to drop Firewire?"

I think so, forcing the procurement of a Thunderbolt display or hub. It will save space inside a laptop.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:41:46 pm

I got the usual year-end flyer from Apple reminding me that I can get my end-of-the-year write off, but this year, instead of Mac Pros and MBPs, they suggest iPads and MBAirs for my business deduction, instead of the usual trucks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:02:27 pm

I'm not sure if they ever marketed MacPro or MBPs in their end of year tax write off emails. They're looking for broadest reach sales.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:44:40 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'm not sure if they ever marketed MacPro or MBPs in their end of year tax write off emails. They're looking for broadest reach sales.
"

For business? For write-offs? I just went back and looked a bit. This is the first year in the last five without a featured MBP, and the second without FCP.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:13:44 am

[Craig Seeman] " Would Apple be daring enough to drop Firewire?"

Boy that's piss off a lot of people. Everybody I know uses FW drives. Of course they also have USB, ESATA ports etc. but we all use the FW800 ports.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:53:28 am

not too mention all the audio peeps still depend on firewire for a lot of the interfaces on the market.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:10:09 pm

I thought the general consensus on the forum (with a few exceptions) is that Apple's objective was to piss off professionals.

Currently Firewire drives are more cost effective than Thunderbolt for a large portion of the media work most of us do. The most demanding professionals in broadcast and feature film production might find Thunderbolt more useful in the long run. Hmm, so if Apple is intent on alienating professionals they'd drop Thunderbolt?

For the time being I'd prefer the next round of Apple computers have both.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:24:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I thought the general consensus on the forum (with a few exceptions) is that Apple's objective was to piss off professionals."

Craig, ... you're trying pretty hard there. Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:25:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I thought the general consensus on the forum (with a few exceptions) is that Apple's objective was to piss off professionals."

I'd say that Apple is designing products that professionals can use, but they are no longer designing products specifically for professional use.

Like you've said, the objective is broader reach. Upsetting people in the niches Apple used to cater to is just a side effect.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Dec 7, 2011 at 7:19:49 pm

I wonder how many devices Thunderbolt can really hold.

thunderbolt display
1. 3 usb ports
2. firewire 800 port
3. ethernet

4. thunderbolt port
a. magma ExpressBox 3T
I. 3 pci cards
II. "Daisy chain up to 6 Thunderbolt devices" (Magma's claim)

thunderbolt overload? this is where apple wants to put pro systems? on an imac or laptop? from one port?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:15:24 pm

Top iMac has two ports and I strongly believe whatever replaces the MacPro will have at least 3. Each supposedly can sustain 6 TB devices without speed issues. If you put a "slow" device on the chain it must be last though but it shouldn't have impact from what I've read if last.

Thunderbolt is 2 bidirectional channels of 10Gbps.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/thunderb...
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:30:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Top iMac has two ports..."

But only one controller:

"A single Thunderbolt port is capable of 20Gbps of bandwidth (10Gbps in each direction), so that works out well (if you don't use any of the other PCIe devices in the system at the same time). While the 21.5-inch iMac has a single Thunderbolt port, the 27-inch model has two. That's a total of up to 40Gbps of bandwidth to Thunderbolt devices, but only 20Gbps to the controller itself. Don't be fooled by the presence of two Thunderbolt ports on the 27-inch iMac, you don't get any more bandwidth than you would on the 21.5-inch model - you can just hook up more displays."

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:57:25 pm

Ugh! Time for Apple to do a re design which would up the price so something closer to a MacPro.
I guess the lack of peripherals has meant that there hasn't been a large number of complaint as a result of lots of things hanging off of each port.

I wonder what typical config might bottleneck this. RAID, Video i/o, Thunderbolt display . . . what else would someone throw on there? PCIe extender box by Magma or Sonnet with three cards in it, but would you be using them at the same time? Basically at what point would a config result in a problem?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Intel�s Ivy Bridge mobile CPU lineup revealed, coming April/May
on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:42:17 pm

MacWorld article relevant to the impact of Thunderbolt Daisy-chaining.
http://www.macworld.com/article/163773/2011/12/thunderbolt_how_devices_affe...

They did a test on iMac with two Thunderbolt ports and putting monitors on the separate ports improved throughput compared to both on a single port.

we attached the second Thunderbolt Display to the iMac’s second Thunderbolt port and found performance to come back to the level of a setup with just one Thunderbolt Display attached.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:22:20 am

[Craig Seeman] "'d love to see the details on Xeon schedule roadmap for those who need desktop power."

Q1 2012 for the E5-2600 likely to be used in a new Mac Pro, assuming they employ a similar architecture to today. A benchmark of an engineering sample has surfaced as well. Dig that bandwidth- 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0 per chip. Dang....

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]