FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where are all the third party apps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Where are all the third party apps?
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:34:02 pm

As I recall from months ago the argument was that many of the missing FCPX features would be fixed by third party apps.

I'm assuming that some of these apps, like tape capture and play out, are awaiting the next major upgrade in 2012, but what about all the translator programs that were supposed to be proliferating by now.

Where is the EDL converter and the cheap alternative to Automatic Duck? It's been 3 months since the XML was released and yet I have heard nothing about all those apps that were supposed to be filled by the world of third party vendors.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Where are all the third party apps?
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:50:09 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Where is the EDL converter and the cheap alternative to Automatic Duck? It's been 3 months since the XML was released and yet I have heard nothing about all those apps that were supposed to be filled by the world of third party vendors."

In my opinion, FCPXML isn't quite ready yet. Look at Andreas Kiel's posts on the matter.

Automatic Duck is no longer.

X27 seems to be getting there.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:05:07 pm

Jeremy Garchow is right FCPXML is not there yet.

Magic Bullet looks 2 will not be released until it has been updated.

I haven't tried X27 as I have no need to take a one way trip back into the past but Event Manager X and Preference Manager are daily companions of mine.

I am also using Crumplepop's Shrink RayX which works really well in FCPX as does Magic Bullet Mojo.

FCPX is still full of holes and unless the 2012 update fixes things in a substantial way many present users might well reconsider their commitment to this fledgling, shows promise, software.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:13:15 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I haven't tried X27 as I have no need to take a one way trip back into the past "

While this may be true, X27 gives you a Send To path to FCP7 or out to XML. From these two options (plus free Duck) you can go to an EDL or to Color, STP, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Smoke, Media Composer, Pro Tools and Audition. This also means output to things like Baselight or Quantel iQ. As well as media management using FCP or AD Media Copy (no longer available) and timeline printing (Final Print).

DaVinci Resolve will roundtrip in any direction between FCP 7 and FCP X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:48:03 am

Oliver you are quite right.

But seriously I wouldn't use FCPX to start a project, as a cutting bench, if I couldn't complete the work on the the software by bringing it back in.

This facility, X27, could well be useful for those wanting to share their work with someone working on a different NLE, or as you say, wanting access Color, STP, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Smoke, Media Composer, Pro Tools and Audition.

I'm booked up for a training day with DaVinci Resolve next week so maybe I'll start using that to do my color correcting. Although for my purposes, non broadcast, I'm getting on pretty well with the built in scopes and tools in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2011 at 2:44:57 pm

[Mark Dobson] "FCPX is still full of holes and unless the 2012 update fixes things in a substantial way many present users might well reconsider their commitment to this fledgling, shows promise, software."

I hope it's a good one. It should tell us what we need to know, I think.

We've been waiting. Patiently.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:46:23 pm

It depends what you mean with third party app.
If you mean filters and effects, there are many new and updated ones.

If you talk about workflow tools there not that many.
Many if not most of these tools relied on the old XML versions of FCP which had been a very stable and mature version with the last release. Many of the developers helped Apple with sending bug reports, discussing feature request and so on. End the end of it's life FCP XML was close to perfect. And it took years to go there.

But now with the totally new kind of XML from FXPX it starts in my honest opinion below zero and makes it difficult for developers like me to make useful apps based upon the current XML implementation.

Sure you can create a simple EDL import/export for video - for audio it's a bit more complex because of the trackless nature of FCPX but can be done using roles. Roles can be used for video in this case as well.

It get more complicated when it comes to workflow apps which exchange metadata - it's because new XML is less complicated then the old XML. Less complicated means there are no metadata, no nothing rather then name, role, timing, relations and references.
Some of the people here on the list know that I've done several apps which used metadata exchange or adding/editing metadata. At the moment it's impossible to do something like that.
Jeremy was using one app of mine for handling P2 which allowed to handle P2 metadata upfront.
Other people just used the old L&T to import P2 and complained they couldn't see the metadata (which are in the P2 files) in the FCP UI. They were right - on the other hand there where utilities which allowed to extract all metadata from the legacy XML as FCP stored nearly all of them and in many cases wrote them into the QT movie.
I had a custom project which was bit similar to Philip Hodgetts 'Sync and Link' though a bit more complex. It allowed to merge and sync video and external audio into a QT wrapper with scene/take/note written to the QT metadata. FCP reads those metadata, FCPX ignores them since it's not based upon the old QT stuff.

Another example for an XML based app I did is my pretty successful TitleExchange, it allowed to extract quite a lot of generator settings and transfer them to other apps or the other way round. As there are no settings in the new XML any more this app doesn't make any sense for any FCPX user at the moment. But I invested some time for the FCPX users on this. You can download both a title exporter and importer for free from the below links.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/FCPXTitles.dmg
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/stl2FCPX.dmg
So there are 2 workflow tools more for FCPX:) But make sure to read the help files.

So anyway, I think that many developers just sit and wait for what will happen next year, Also sit and wait whether Apple will be bit better in documentation and response when it's not about effects - just my personal oppinion.

Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]