Part1

Part2

Part3

Part4

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Larry Jordan speaks about FCPX
on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:42:36 pm

The big news story (from the start of part 3) is the one headlined by those great guys at fcp.co, to quote:

FCPX 1.0 "It will not be ready for professional use" says Larry Jordan

Now that's what I call a "jawdropper"!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:02:19 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The big news story (from the start of part 3) is the one headlined by those great guys at fcp.co, to quote:

"

Sounds like an extremely measured comment, designed to temper expectations. As he says, Apple have a terrible track record with 1.0 releases, which this is. It doesn't mean issues and missing features won't be resolved in the next 12 months - it means Apple think it's time to get this out there.

Any one planning major jobs this year (as I am currently, including equipment and FCP purchases) should NOT be considering FCPX for those jobs.

I will happily, however, purchase Final Cut Studio licenses from eager FCPX adopters who want to cut the cord on day one...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:16:01 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Sounds like an extremely measured comment"

I'd have said this was more of an educated guess rather than a "revelation" (and it's not going to change my opinion either way TBH), but it's likely to stir up a fair amount of comment given the circumstances. Expect feathers to fly!

I take your point about not diving in straight away, but it will only be by trying it out on real jobs (albeit not mission critical ones!) that we'll get to know its strengths and weaknesses - you can play around all you like but it's only the real world situations that give you the feedback you really need.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Blayne Gorum
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:31:39 pm

I don't think Larry was meaning this as a deprecation of Apple or FCP X. Instead, I think it is more of a note of caution based on Apple's past tendency to use earlier adopters as beta testers. Features will probably be missing and bugs will still be present.

And then version x.25 comes along and the sun will shine again for the early adopters.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:17:02 pm

I can see Avid's and Adobe's grin from here.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:18:16 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I take your point about not diving in straight away, but it will only be by trying it out on real jobs (albeit not mission critical ones!) that we'll get to know its strengths and weaknesses - you can play around all you like but it's only the real world situations that give you the feedback you really need."

Well, I don't really do any work that isn't critical to my clients, but I think that's a bit of a simplification. Once we've had time to play with it and learn the interface (which I'll do at home) and done technical tests on compatibility with third-party hardware, software and networks (following the release of drivers for all of these) THEN I'll use it, IF it does everything I need (XML importing, multiple audio outputs etc.) - but I know I'm a long way from that.

Not to worry - as I'm also happy with FCP7. And he's the nice thing: If you're a camera owner/operator, many clients want you to use the latest toy, best model ("have you seen that new F3/Epic/Alexa?"). If you're an editor NO ONE CARES what you use, as long as you get the job done in a timely manner to a high standard. And ultimately they're paying for YOU, not the edit suite.

So relax - and watch the future of post slowly unfold.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:27:26 pm

By the way - this thread should probably be called "Larry Jordan DOESN'T speak about FCPX". I think he said less than you could glean from the sneak peek videos. I think I'd have been a bit bored if I'd gone to the meeting just to hear that..

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47:04 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Larry Jordan DOESN'T speak about FCPX"

I wonder what part of NDA the LAFCPUG audience didn't quite get!?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:30:32 pm

[Ben Holmes] "If you're an editor NO ONE CARES what you use"

Mostly this is true - though I have to say in my business there is still quite a bit of snobbery attached to using Media Composer as against FCP.

And I was very amused to speak to one client only a couple of days after the SuperMeet who'd already heard that "the new FCP is a bit of a dud".

Also I think we might find the iMovie "stigma" takes a while to shake off among those many clients who "sort of know a bit about editing" - and I'm sure we've all met our share of those.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:38:06 pm

You're probably right, I was overstating this a bit, but it's fair to say no one cares WHAT VERSION of FCP you are on, and many production staff don't even notice whether they're in an FCP or AVID suite in the places I work - really!

Clients love to engage in a bit of industry banter about this stuff - but all they really care about are results. If they're happy now, they'll be happy in 3 months if you're still using FCP7. That's all I'm sayin' really...

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:24:49 pm

Yes, clients will also be happy later if you are still on FCP 7, but eventually with the ever changing camera formats it will be un-productive as an editor to continue with FCP7 on projects that require hours of transcoding to ProRes. Although I will use 7 well after the release of X, its the transcoding of material that will decide for me when to move on to X or another.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:24:48 pm

[Ben Holmes] "FCPX 1.0 "It will not be ready for professional use" says Larry Jordan

"

Sounds like an extremely measured comment, designed to temper expectations. As he says, Apple have a terrible track record with 1.0 releases"

Is it me, or is Pro IN the name of the software?! We'll see what happens, but I feel like it's a bit of a tease to announce a major release, one that may or may not force us to relearn how to understand and design entirely new workflow, just to have the actual release be a feature-limited preview version of what's to come when the software is actually ready in 6-12 months. And if that's the case, what's the point of all the secrecy? The software will be released, the secrets revealed to customers and competitors alike, and the balloon deflated because we can't use what we now know is supposed to be there.

I'm also a little bit uncomfortable about the talk of this being a 1.0 release. I would have expected it to be a 10.0 release, and worry that if FC?X is really so dramatically different from FCP 7 to warrant a 1.0 definition, then FC?X is really a new package entirely (which I guess is what was announced at the Supermeet, but I at least imagined that Apple wouldn't want users to learn a new release from scratch). That would be unfortunately for industry pros that have spent years learning to work with FCP extremely efficiently. If I was forced to learn a new editing package as FCP 7 disappears, I'd rather go AVID and still be able to work while FC?X still figures out what it really wants to be.

Of course... here's to hoping it's amazing!

B

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:36:39 pm

All of which confirms my point of view that for the moment this isn't meant to replace FCP, but rather Final Cut Express.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:10:04 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "All of which confirms my point of view that for the moment this isn't meant to replace FCP, but rather Final Cut Express."

You're simply wrong about that Clayton. However, if you're among the small percentage of FCP users working in Hollywood on movies and TV shows you're most likely not in Apple's wheelhouse any longer.

What is it that you cut?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:26:53 pm

I don't mean that it is Final Cut Express in a literal way, I mean it from the point of view of the expanded demographic that they are hoping to cater to.

Their intention seems to be to make it a one stop shop and sweep up what would be the profile of a Final Cut Express type buyer with it. It's clear to me that round tripping from an application like Color is too complicated for that kind of user experience. What people want is an express way to have it all.

Finally, let's be honest here, apple is not going to make a profit by having Pro buyers pay less, they are going to make more by having amateurs/semi-pro's take a step up in quality and pay a little more. $199 hence becomes $299. That is the bottom line.

This is not to say that it won't be more powerful in a lot of ways, that is the force of advancing technology, but this is an application designed to function as an express lane rather than an editing suite.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:43:11 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "It's clear to me that round tripping from an application like Color is too complicated for that kind of user experience."

Color is not nearly as seamless as it should be or needs to be now Clayton, and rather than fix an old horse that's getting ready to die Apple is making it better.

FCP X may not be right on day one, and it may never be right for everyone, but it will do most of the day to day things you're doing now in far better ways than whatever you're using today.

You really should sluff off all that anxiety and relax a little. Things will reveal themselves soon enough. And, don't expect perfection on day one, this is version 1 of an entirely new and very sophisticated NLE.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:56:51 pm

Hang on a second. Just because I have a point of view and choose to express it, doesn't mean that I happen to have any anxiety or stress around it. What would I have stress about? I can always continue using FCP 3 Suite. Please don't confuse me with someone else on these boards.
I do use Apple Color EVERY day with a control surface and it is hard to see how this a step forward for serious grading. I will reserve judgement until I see it for real though.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:45:02 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "Just because I have a point of view and choose to express it, doesn't mean that I happen to have any anxiety or stress around it. What would I have stress about?"

Clayton,

From my perch at the top of this forum I see everything that comes across this board, and I can easily spot "Chicken Little syndrome," i.e. a completely speculative, constant, and very negative series of posts, which I believe is caused by the pent-up, pre-release frustration and anxiety brought about by Apple's blackout on reliable information.

You are the just latest, and you're entirely welcome to say whatever you wish, and to post any point of view you desire, but don't expect that an "open mic" means no heckling from the audience.

Many before you have vented their frustration and then become quite calm after myself and others give them shit. It seems to be good therapy and I hope it works for you as well. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:17:15 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Clayton,

From my perch at the top of this forum I see everything that comes across this board, and I can easily spot "Chicken Little syndrome," i.e. a completely speculative, constant, and very negative series of posts, which I believe is caused by the pent-up, pre-release frustration and anxiety brought about by Apple's blackout on reliable information.

You are the just latest, and you're entirely welcome to say whatever you wish, and to post any point of view you desire, but don't expect that an "open mic" means no heckling from the audience.

Many before you have vented their frustration and then become quite calm after myself and others give them shit. It seems to be good therapy and I hope it works for you as well. :)"

David,

You clearly have mistaken me for someone else.

As a moderator for the last couple of years over at another well known site in the image-making industry I am quite capable of making the distinction between a troll and a participating member's viewpoint.

At no point have I said that the sky was falling. Nor am I chicken little. Even if you assumed that I would naturally go in that direction.

I do not feel any particular anxiety, stress or "pent-up frustration" around this whole story. I am merely a contributing member of this forum, like so many others here. I do not "give other people shit", try to consider their viewpoint in a non-judgemental way and ask for the same respect in return.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:32:38 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Many before you have vented their frustration and then become quite calm after myself and others give them shit."

I am sure you could have put it better David.

I hope you know people look up to you, here on this forum.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:06:24 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] "I am sure you could have put it better David. "

They call that humor where I come from Sohrab. I guess I didn't put enough :) happy, smiley faces in my post? How many is the right number anyway?

Clayton may not know me well enough yet to get that, but you've become quite the comedian since I poked a little fun at you a few times.

Personally, I find humor in almost everything, and that makes me happy. I'm perfectly willing to accept that it may not please everyone else all the time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:21:56 am

And I thought only British had dry humor! Maybe thats why i could not sense any. And it has not helped that we lost the stanley cup finals to Boston last night.

But yes, you are right. In this high pressure profession life would be very difficult without a dose of laugh. I am willing to accept all even if it means poking fun at myself. ;-)

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 7:58:59 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "it will do most of the day to day things you're doing now in far better ways than whatever you're using today"

With respect, how can you possibly know that?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:28:15 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "With respect, how can you possibly know that?
"

Because I was at the LAFCPUG meeting just last night as a "guest guru," where I saw Phil Hodgetts completely dissect and digest just about every single known aspect of the new software, and because I later discussed much of it with him, and then had dinner with him and where we further discussed it all.

Phil has been acknowledged by those on the Apple development team as being "scary right" about most things he's ferreted out in his extensive sleuthing of FCP X, which he's actually been doing for the last 2 to 3 years as it's been on Apple's proverbial workbench.

The underlying core of the new software is something he pointed out first, and it's been verified by Apple. And, it's not Quicktime, and it's quite superior. See the YouTube video below for a taste.

Here's a shot of Phil from last night:

And, here's just a small taste of what he divulged last night, he went well beyond this however, having had more info and additional months to do his detective work:

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Gregory Butner
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:37:35 pm

I was also at the meeting. I sat in the back and laughed at people that seemed to be having a breakdown when they discovered that certain features were likely not part of FCPX. In a way I can understand their frustration though. Yes FCP7 works fine right now, but someday in the future it won't be supported by new Apple hardware and people will possibly have to find a completely new workflow. Change isn't always easy.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:00:32 pm

DRW: Because I was at the LAFCPUG meeting just last night as a "guest guru,"

Then I'm going to defer to your insider knowledge.

Though I have to say I don't understand, and the clip of Phil's you link to is a case in point, why we are meant to be getting excited all over again by features that have already been in iMovie for quite a while?

In fact, it's very little exaggeration to say that everything mentioned in that clip is already there in iMovie and appears to work in exactly the same way. The metadata implementation and the Event library structure appear to me to be in all practical senses identical, not merely similar or related. The title tool, transition, effects and generator menus all appear identical (which is not to say they mightn't differ in some particulars in the final product. Stabilization and shot content detection are also right there in iMovie on import as well as post-import (though not color balancing.) Not to mention the famous Magnetic timeline and the Precision Editor ... All great stuff!

Don't get me wrong, I think iMovie is great and welcome seeing it as the basis for the new FCP - it could well be the new paradigm we're all hoping for. But let's just acknowledge for one second that that is indeed what we're talking about, not some unimaginably new creation. For goodness sake iMovie's been around for enough years in its current form!

Unless of course you are party to secrets that radically change this picture ...

By all means, let's get excited about FCPX, but why do we have to pretend that it's appeared ex nihilo, like Athena emerging from the head of Zeus?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:15:02 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "iMovie is great and welcome seeing it as the basis for the new FCP - it could well be the new paradigm we're all hoping for. But let's just acknowledge for one second that that is indeed what we're talking about, not some unimaginably new creation."
Hi
You're missing the elephant in the room:
the replacement of i) QuickTime (including QT X) with AV Foundation, and
ii) the old XML Project format.

The only version of iMovie remotely similar (beyond the GUI) is the iPad version of iMovie.
And nothing hitherto in the video world has relied on CoreData for its database engine - or handled metadata in such a powerful way.

Philip Hodgetts has spent many many months explaining that this isn't 'unimaginable' because quite a lot of the detail is already out there :-)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:24:28 pm

[Paul Dickin] "You're missing the elephant in the room"

No, absolutely, I take your point and that's deeply important (though I'm not sure quite what you point is about XML as with the best will in the world surely there are one or two unresolved question marks there?). But my point is that I'm a bit over having people painstakingly talk me through features that are meant to be brand new and invented just for FCPX and indicators of the radical new editing paradigm - but have been around for quite a while for all the world to see.

Even Phil, enormously though I respect him, does the exact same thing in the clip that David linked to. And even more to the point, we had Randy himself do it back in April! What's the story there?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:38:32 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "What's the story there?"
Hi
The story - as Randy showed it - is that some of the concepts in FCP X's GUI, and some of the basic functionality, has been tried and tested (in iMovie as it happens) - but it goes far far beyond that...

The story as Phil tells it is that now all this preliminary work is coming to fruition in a new application built on a new 'engine' which will be radically different from what we have known so far, and will have huge potential for the future.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:47:10 pm

[Paul Dickin] "some of the concepts in FCP X's GUI, and some of the basic functionality"

I'd have to question the use of the word "some" there. Putting the issues of the new engine aside, as an editing tool FCPX shares more than "some" of the features of iMovie, and there really doesn't seem to be any argument about that if you look at the details (see my response to DRW above).

I sense a real anxiety among the fraternity in coming to terms with this. Why is that? I really don't see it as anything to be worried about!

There's a lot of big talk about welcoming the new paradigm but underlying that is a desperate hope that it's not actually going to look like it appears to look (not like iMovie, perish the thought) but rather much more like the good old familiar editing paradigm we've become used to (of course, there'll still be 3-point editing) where the Magnetic timeline can remain a bad dream of what the future might have looked like because we'll be able to switch it off and forget it ever existed.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:52:35 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Even Phil, enormously though I respect him, does the exact same thing in the clip that David linked to. And even more to the point, we had Randy himself do it back in April! What's the story there?"

As I said Simon, last night Phil went into much more detail than he did in that older video. LAFCPG will post video of last night's performance soon, I'm sure.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:29:32 pm

[David Roth Weiss] " if you're among the small percentage of FCP users working in Hollywood on movies and TV shows you're most likely not in Apple's wheelhouse any longer."

Why is this an assumption when so many TV series a in Hollywood are cutting on FCP? Features too.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:44:31 pm

I work on mostly short-form stuff and I keep full backups of all original media. Surely the worst that could happen is that I lose a couple of days work.

Given that FCPX might save me a couple of days just in the first month (rendering time, efficiency of not having to round trip through color and STP for a start) then maybe it's worth a gamble.

Or is there something I haven't thought of? Will it steal my car and run off with my woman?

And have I now made disaster a certainty by stupidly asking the question "What's the worst that could happen?"

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Jun 17, 2011 at 1:42:27 am

[andy lewis] "Will it steal my car and run off with my woman?"

Wouldn't matter. You do have backups, right?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:46:09 pm

Wow, I can't believe some of the reaction to this. He simply said it's a dot zero release, everything is rewritten from the ground up and because of that, it might take a while to get all the features in.

On day 1, it might not be ready to go out and edit a feature. Was FCP 1.0 ready? Not by a long shot.

He says repeatedly that he "doesn't know enough" about the software to make any long term judgements.

About 6 and a half minutes in to video 1, Larry asked the director of Pro Apps Marketing (Richard Townhill) at a separate Apple event about how this is not iMovie on steroids. Townhill said that they wouldn't have given the sneak peek at NAB to that crowd, in that way if all they wanted to do was present a new version of iMovie. I am paraphrasing, you can watch the movies to see the details.

Let's all take another breath. It's going to be fine. It's brand new software, there's going to be some growing pains.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:53:53 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The big news story (from the start of part 3) is the one headlined by those great guys at fcp.co, to quote:

Now that's what I call a "jawdropper"!"

There's a huge difference between "Hey, it's probably not a great idea to move critical production workflows to brand new 1.0 software" (what Jordan appears to be saying) and "Apple is deliberately abandoning professional users because they're more interested in shiny toys" (the line the trolls are pushing).

The former isn't a "jawdropper". It's common sense. Had Jordan clearly said the latter that would have indeed been significant, but that's not the impression I got.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:03:27 pm

[Chris Kenny] "There's a huge difference between "Hey, it's probably not a great idea to move critical production workflows to brand new 1.0 software" (what Jordan appears to be saying) and "Apple is deliberately abandoning professional users because they're more interested in shiny toys" (the line the trolls are pushing)."

Hey, you know, lighten up a little maybe? It was meant to be a light-hearted reference to what has become Larry's signature phrase since he first coined it.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:53:46 pm

One of the genuinely interesting moments for me (apart from the "it's not going to be ready for professional use" one!) was what happened when Larry was asked whether or not you could set In/Out points on the fly ...

Seriously long pregnant pause followed by a very vague answer where he was clearly struggling with the limits of his NDA.

This may or may not constitute unwelcome news for those who have been holding out for traditional 3-point editing ... though I might well be trying to read too much into too little (but I wouldn't the the first around here to do that). That being said, there does seem on first principles a world of different that separates the event skimming model from the way most of us have got used to working, and I find it difficult to imagine where they might comfortably meet. For better or worse, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't a price we will have to pay to enjoy the "new paradigm".

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:06:41 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "One of the genuinely interesting moments for me (apart from the "it's not going to be ready for professional use" one!) was what happened when Larry was asked whether or not you could set In/Out points on the fly ...

Seriously long pregnant pause followed by a very vague answer where he was clearly struggling with the limits of his NDA. "

This goes to show how pointless this appearance was - I read that reaction completely the other way to you, that he clearly wanted to say "yes, of course you can, chill out", but he realised it hadn't been shown, and he therefore couldn't confirm (or deny it). You could see him trying out the headlines any comment he made would cause, and wondering if Apple would ever speak to him again.

With the release so close, this kind of speculation seems increasingly pointless. Hell - there's an entire app out there (Motion 5) that Apple haven't even acknowledged exists yet. I'd be surprised if there's not others.

And yes - this is a 1.0 release, albeit built upon code (whisper it) clearly debuted in iMovie. I'd still be surprised to see too much missing in functionality - just compatibility issues to be resolved.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:30:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "One of the genuinely interesting moments for me (apart from the "it's not going to be ready for professional use" one!) was what happened when Larry was asked whether or not you could set In/Out points on the fly ...

Seriously long pregnant pause followed by a very vague answer where he was clearly struggling with the limits of his NDA. "

You're being ridiculously silly (again) Simon. I'll bet you $100 right now that setting in and out points on the fly will not be gone in FCP X.

Come on, put your $$$ where your mouth is.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:23:27 pm

Larry responds to the "headline" you are all having fun with. You all ought to read it. http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:13:32 pm

And, as he always has to date in my admittedly meager experience, Larry once again keeps a cool head, stays with a topic, weighs the data and readjusts his thinking and his public stance when presented with new evidence or gets a new answer to a question. I often suspect Larry may be the all-too-rare type of guy who wonders why more people aren't like that.

Was good to see you out in public playing Guru at LAFCPUG last night, David. Michael Horton indicated it was a first for you. I hope it won't be a last. Had I not been in a hurry to get back to OC and bed (There doesn't seem to be much of an OCFCPUG to speak of. Besides, how would you pronounce it; "Ock-Fussy-Pug"? "Ock-Fick-Pug"?), I'd have stayed and said hello. I hope you'll come back and sit in again.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:49:52 pm

[Brian Wells] "Michael Horton indicated it was a first for you. I hope it won't be a last. "

Thanks for the acknowledgment Brian. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you. I had a great time last night, and yes it was my first-ever live guru gig. I've already told Michael that I'll come back any time. I'm coming back for more Kool Aid when the wraps are taken off of "X," so I'll look for you then.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Blayne Gorum
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:19:17 am

In his current blog post, Larry adds some much needed clarification to that unfortunate statement:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1498

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]