FORUMS: list search recent posts

stuck with deleted audio file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenni Brunetti
stuck with deleted audio file
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:26:41 pm

I just started with FCPX, but for the life of me cannot figure out why it randomly will not remove audio that I've deleted. the waveform disappears, but it merges with the new media that I try to replace it with. Has this happened to anybody, or am i just missing something?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: stuck with deleted audio file
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:50:30 pm

[Jenni Brunetti] "I just started with FCPX, but for the life of me cannot figure out why it randomly will not remove audio that I've deleted. the waveform disappears, but it merges with the new media that I try to replace it with. Has this happened to anybody, or am i just missing something?"

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. You mean you try and delete embedded audio and it won't let you? Or is this separate audio? How are you replacing it?

Return to posts index

s regian
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:40:00 pm

I had this exact same problem: deleted audio would still play as if it were still there. Took several restarts to finally correct.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Nov 30, 2011 at 2:13:19 pm

A strip of audio? Consider yourself to be a lucky person.
I know a bunch who are stuck with many "deleted products" from Apple.
:-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:18:57 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "A strip of audio? Consider yourself to be a lucky person.
I know a bunch who are stuck with many "deleted products" from Apple.
:-)
"

Just curious as to why this is such an Apple sin, when I, like most video professionals, have gobs of similarly "deleted" products from Sony, nVidia, Western Digital, Epson, Canon, Sennheiser, et al on my "retired gear" shelf.

I honestly think your brain is "stuck" in an "apple hate" loop, and you need to take a walk with your absolutely adorable son and seek some perspective.

Companies move on. They retire the old - in favor of the new.

And call me crazy, but for a company not to continue to do what they've been so richly rewarded for having done in the past - is what seems kinds nuts to me.

But what do I know.

My 2 cents anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:38:15 pm

It was just a joke, Bill. Not spewing hate here. But let me take this opportunity and ask you one thing:

Take "Color" and "Final Cut Server" as examples, both were terminated at an early 1.5 age in Apple's hands.
Could you name another successful set of products (that are or not on your shelves) that met this same brief destiny? I don't think you can. So, I'm not sure if your criticism on me is as fair as my joke was on Apple.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:38:00 pm

Hi, I have a few:

edit*

commotion

Stitcher express

and surely more...

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:55:48 pm

Have they been discontinued at their 1.5 versions?
No, not at all. They went much farther than that.

Edit went as far as 6. Commotion was kept going until 4.
The others you've mentioned... Well, I've never heard of them.
My point was successful products, for that matter.

Better try to bring out some more. Tough, isn't it?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:04:37 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "Take "Color" and "Final Cut Server" as examples, both were terminated at an early 1.5 age in Apple's hands.
Could you name another successful set of products (that are or not on your shelves) that met this same brief destiny?"

Christian,

I've actually seen LOTS of software that was killed quicker. Heck, one of my great historical examples was an early "killer database" app called Wingz - that was essentially stilborn - in that the company promoting it put HUGE assets into promoting it for years - with giant display booths at MacWorld - before killing it outright prior to launch.

The point is that all software has a huge hill to climb to reach viability. And what they sponsoring company considers to be "viability" is often different from their customers. Do a search on "discontinued candy" or "discontinued motorcycles" or "discontinued cologne" and you'll find plenty of examples of products that were developed, had success (even very significant success) but didn't last because the manufacturing company pulled the plug in the face of changing tastes, chaining company focus, or merely to spend their resources on something more profitable.

It's business as usual - whether we like it or not.

Peace.

So

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:12:47 pm

I see your point Bill, thanks for your business history class. What you don't see is, apparently there was a HUGE fiasco concernig Apple and a lot have been going on since then. Even a debating forum was set up at CC...Wait!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:12:23 am

[Christian Schumacher] "What you don't see is, apparently there was a HUGE fiasco concernig Apple and a lot have been going on since then."

Oh, I get it.

From your perception, the real world revolves around this HUGE fiasco... to use your own term.

The truth is, Christian that probably fewer than a couple of thousand souls on the entire planet really gives a rat's patootie about this whole issue, and the other billion plus people who share our world haven't the faintest clue it's even happening.

Here's a test. Go to your local mall and ask the people walking by their opinion about FCP-X. Let me know how many of them have a clue what you're talking about. Or go to any Apple store and ask everyone there about how this "huge fiasco" is damaging their business.

This is obsessed professionals talking to other obsessed professionals. (And I admit I'm in the class as firmly as anyone!) But at least I can see that my angst is my own issue, not the entire worlds.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:44:34 am

Nobody is calling for the end of days here on Earth. I'm bluntly criticizing Apple for their acting, is that allowed?
This is a genuine and important discussion that determines where our markets are going, hence this forum. So, implying that I'm overstating my opinion is just wrong. If I call it a HUGE (caps borrowed) fiasco, it may be well based on pure reality that concerns our businesses (and only them). Everyone is entitled to criticize people here as well, but it's way more productive when they instead focus on issues that pertain to our industry.

Here's a hint for you.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:19:33 am

I've had problems with this "ghost audio".

Try this: first expand all of your audio. In the menu View/Expand Audio Video Clips/For All.

This will let you make sure there isn't some errant L-cut.

Then try solo-ing some clips around the problem area.

I was able to make my ghost audio go away by finding the errant clip and match-framing the first frame of the clip, then replacing the clip on the timeline with itself.

Let us know if you figure it out.

It'll be better in 10.0.3.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jenni Brunetti
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:50:55 pm

I tried this and it worked, although it took a while to get there. I do hope it's fixed in the new version! It happened a few times, and on simpler cuts I just ended up deleted the whole sequence and starting over, it was so frustrating! thanks all for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]