FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview with Greg Estes of NVDIA

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Interview with Greg Estes of NVDIA
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:43:56 pm

Here's an interview with Greg Estes, NVIDIA's Industry Executive for Media and Entertainment. It's a 7 minute interview that basically covers why you want to buy a Quadro 4000 for your Mac. The answer, if you have apps that can use CUDA technology. (is it just me, or did that seem obvious?)

He has 7 minutes of Greg's time and doesn't bother to ask what NVDIA's plans are for future support of Mac products.

Is the 4000 the last NVDIA product for Macs?
Will there be other NVDIA products coming for Macs?
Why hasn't NVDIA provided Mac versions of other existing Quadro products?
What about the rumor that Apple may be adding back NVDIA options to their product line?

I realize that Greg might not want to discus future plans, but shouldn't you at least ask? If he doesn't want to answer any of the those questions, you probably got your answer. If however NVDIA is working on more Mac support, I would assume he'd want Mac users to know.

http://www.macvideo.tv/editing/interviews/?articleId=3321499&pagType=sameca...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Interview with Greg Estes of NVDIA
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:05:41 pm

fxguide did an interview with Jeff Brown of NVIDIA [link] when the Quadro 4000 for Mac was announced. When John Montgomery asked about bringing the 5000 or 6000 to the Mac platform, Brown said "Not for now." He said "it was more important to hit a more affordable price point" and that the 4000 "hits the sweet spot." He added that Mac users should let NVIDIA know if they were interested in other models, but his reasoning seemed to be that Mac users were more interested in affordability than performance.

I agree with you that the Quadro 4000 was a bit of a disappointment -- it doesn't show the real-world improvement we hoped for over the Quadro FX4800 or GTX 285.

The rocky relationship between Apple and NVIDIA has been one of my largest concerns in the whole "pro" platform debate. I sincerely hope that this improves soon.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:28:16 pm

I read on Tech ARP that a Quadro is pretty much the same as a normal GeForce card, with extra drivers to support 3D applications like 3D Studio Max, which are what make the card "professional" - and expensive.

It seems likely that anyone who is working as an individual and doesn't mind a bit of an experiment could probably install a GeForce CUDA card and make it work, getting a card a year newer and much cheaper.

B

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:02:08 pm

I've come across several discussions on the topic of GTX vs. Quadro.

Here's one person's opinion.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3721504/difference-with-cuda-hardware-qu...

I also recall reading a comparison test on some of the new Quadro cards with Premiere Pro, on a PC. The tester commented that the Quadro cards are built to be "more reliable" than their GTX counter parts. I don't recall if that was by design, or the actual components used. But his point was that Quadro cards are "built" to last. They can be used all day every day, while GTX cards will give out sooner under these kinds of conditions. NVDIA makes the lower cost (similar performance) GTX cards for gamers, who typically care about a great deal about price and usually have no issue overclocking and dealing with the consequences.

Either way, it would have been nice if the guy asked some questions we don't have the answers for already. I guess if Greg Estes wanted to let Apple users know more was coming, he would have taken the opportunity to do so. Which he didn't.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:10:33 pm

"But his point was that Quadro cards are "built" to last. They can be used all day every day, while GTX cards will give out sooner under these kinds of conditions."

Well, I have two GeForce cards. One of them runs from 0700 to 2330 every day of every week. It shows no signs of giving up in any way. I rather think that salesmen in search of a bigger profit will tell the gullible punter anything. I'm surprised we don't have "professional" dics drives - or maybe we do.

B

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:08:42 pm

Aside from the software differences, there are some real hardware differences between the Quadro/Tesla series and the GeForce series: the "pro" line offers ECC memory, more RAM, and a slower clock speed (for improved reliability and reduced errors).

You don't need a Quadro to get CUDA, if you are willing to use an unsupported card. There are quite a few Resolve users running re-flashed PC GTX 470 cards in their Mac Pros for amazing CUDA performance.

In my mind, that shows the tragedy here: NVIDIA and Apple's relationship got rocky just as CUDA was taking off with apps like Resolve and Premiere Pro. If you want CUDA on a new, supported card for a Mac today, you have to get the Quadro 4000 -- which is three times as expensive, but a little slower than the GTX 285 from two and a half years ago.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:37:31 pm

The rumor mill is filled with the possibility of Apple returning to nVidia. It's just rumors and a lot of it centers around MacBookPros (not desktops).

Return to posts index

Greg Estes
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:48:49 pm

Obviously we can't discuss futures, and so even if he would have asked me about that, I wouldn't have been able to answer. And one shouldn't read anything into a non-answer - no public company can comment one way or another on futures.

In terms of some of the other comments or questions:
- We are very interested in hearing from COW users on what you would like to see in future NVIDIA products (for Mac or PC). You can ping me directly at GregEstesME@nvidia.com. (Don't expect comments back on future products ;-)
- The reason to buy Quadro vs. a GeForce is always a hotly debated topic on forums. I won't debate it here, but it comes down to Quadro is built, tuned and tested by NVIDIA for professional use by professionals in workstations. GeForce is built by a number of manufacturers and tuned for consumers doing gaming. There are ramifications to each approach and the net is that we - and our software partners with whom we work very closely to tune performance - recommend Quadro for professional use.
- We just launched a new newsletter yesterday specifically for the media and entertainment community. You can expect us to publish GPU-acceleration-related information from our partners like Adobe, Avid, Autodesk and many others going forward. Our goal is to have it be useful and not be a bunch of marketing BS about how wonderful we think we are. I am sure you will tell me if we meet that goal or not. If that's interesting to you here is a link http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1320921041194.html

- Greg E.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]