FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does FCPX crash so often?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sorensen
Why does FCPX crash so often?
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:28:55 pm

Can anybody help me here?

I just sold my old MacPro and bought a brand new iMac 27" 3,4Ghz, 16RAM, 2GB videoram, with a flash disk for software and 2Tb disk for files. Enough power to work smooth with FCPX.

But it keeps crashing, again and again.

I can work with it, but during one day of editing it crashes 20-30 times. Not good for my nerves!

Any serious advice would be extremely apreciated!

Also: some things in my timeline just CHANGE, after the project has been saved...

The order changes (images that were on top, are suddenly below other items), text dissapears, fonts change, etc. Weird things. I have never been so mad at a program, that I actually like a lot.

By the way: I work on Lion.

Thanks in advance!
David

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Why does FCPX crash so often?
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:23:30 pm

I'm on OSX 10.6.8. When I first installed FCPX, it crashed quite often. Oddly, after a while it stopped crashing... and that didn't seem to correspond with the FCPX update either. It doesn't crash at all any more. Sorry, this isn't very helpful... just my experience.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:47:35 pm

[David Sorensen] "I just sold my old MacPro and bought a brand new iMac 27" 3,4Ghz, 16RAM, 2GB videoram, with a flash disk for software and 2Tb disk for files. Enough power to work smooth with FCPX."

So you're putting your media on the main system drive? That's a no-no for any non-linear editing tool. Media should always be on its own drive or array.

Running the Operating System, the software and accessing media all from the same drive is always asking for a world of hurt with any video editing software.

[David Sorensen] "But it keeps crashing, again and again.
"

As with any Non-Linear editing system it usually comes down to system configuration on why anything crashes.

Have you updated everything on your Mac first and foremost? Run Software Update, after it completes whatever it does, run it again, and repeat until nothing else is needed to update. Some updates will not run unless earlier updates are installed, hence the need to repeat sometimes.

What format(s) are you using?

Are you mixing formats and framerates in the same timeline?

Are you doing the same thing each time it crashes?

Are you running any other software in the background while using FCP X?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:45:02 pm

Walter, I think by flash he meant an SSD for the OS/program files and a 2Tb internal drive for media. A Thunderbolt RAID is obviously better (and more secure for media).

David, I think the reality is FCPX is kind of a beta program. Give it another year of updates and maybe it won't crash so much.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:51:23 pm

FWIW, been running X on an i7 10.6.8 for weeks of heavy 14 hour days and it hasn't crashed once.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:47:40 pm

I've had a terrible day with FCPX today. Crashes, compound clips not opening (got round that by opening in timeline - copying - opening up in new project) and my old friend cmd z not workin - and to compound issues stabilisation has disappeared - so having trashed prefs countless times I'm now going to trash the app and re-install it from app store.

So I have a lot of sympathy for anyone else running into similar problems.

Mark Dobson
Producer and Director
Alembic TV
http://www.alembic.tv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:05:44 pm

[David Sorensen] "The order changes (images that were on top, are suddenly below other items), text dissapears, fonts change, etc. Weird things."

What version are you working on? The 10.0.2 update was supposed to fix these sort of things.

I'm still on 10.6.8, too.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:41:42 pm

I'm still on 10.6.8 as well....working 8 hours a day, I get maybe 2 crashes per day, 3 tops. Out of a dozen or so days, I had one crash that lost 15 minutes of work. Otherwise, all crashes recovered with no work lost. Media coming off a raid, app on the SSD, and native Canon 5D footage.

David, you might try trashing preferences for X or reinstalling it...ie, delete the app and then go back to the App Store and download it again. What you describe is not normal.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 28, 2011 at 8:55:25 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I'm still on 10.6.8 as well....working 8 hours a day, I get maybe 2 crashes per day, 3 tops."

See, this is what I miss about Mac OS 9. It crashed just the right amount: not so frequently that you couldn't get anything done, but not so rarely that you missed out on good reboot coffee breaks.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:49:04 pm

I agree Walter. And who wants a NLE that doesn't require some rendering. Just when are you supposed to go to the bathroom?!?! :)

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
4Gg RAM
KONA 2
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:10:24 pm

Oh, you guys are funny.

All I'm saying is that 20+ crashes a day is not normal for FCP X, there's something else wrong, besides the application simply being buggy.

P.S. I have to say that Final Cut 7 crashed maybe once a day, which is better than FCP X, but the crashes in 7 usually lost a few minutes of work.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:14:54 am

Now that you mention it, my daily crashing has stopped too.

However, I have found a few things that can crash it for sure:

- a corrupt font
- a really large PSD (this only happened on one file but is reproducible)
- Camera Raw files on certain machines (My MacBook Pro for example crashes on a camera raw, the MacPro has no problem with it)
- Low Memory. Well I don't know if it really crashed or I just became impatient.

However, with that said I would call Apple. They should be able to help.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:50:18 am

Just to add another voice...

I started with no crashes at all. Probably my first 2 weeks. That was with relatively "low stress" projects. DV footage, no complex fonts, and I was keystroking moderately since I was "feeling out" the software.

Then I migrated to more complex projects. At one point, I started getting crashes. For a short period, I had 3-4 a day when I was working on some DSLR projects with more complex timelines including relatively large imported photos.

I haven't had a program with a large number of big photos lately, but I did notice than after the two subsequent FCP-X updates, my timelines, my footage, and the speed of my use of the program have all increased significantly - and I haven't had a crash in weeks.

It's really hard to diagnose other people's machines, software, and setups. In the past I've seen too many posts where someone was having a horrible time - only to find that in a week or so they discovered some "individually specific" cause - perhaps a RAM chip gone bad, a bad font, a behind the scenes program (remember how evil INITS used to screw things up in the old days!) or some other issue specific to that particular editors system that did not effect the general editor.

This is a hassle and I feel for the OP. Because I've been there when it was MY machine that wasn't working right when everyone else's was.

But I've got to report that X and Lion are working fine together on my MacBook Pro. (I just ordered a new Open CL compatible graphics card so I can also start cutting on my MacPro system - but I'm so happy with my laptop performance that I'm not sure I'm going to migrate even when I can.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:38:08 am

I have perhaps one crash a year with FC7 and I've been using FCPX.1.0 for 4 months without any crash.
Does anybody around run something like DiskWarrior or TechTools in a regular basis?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rob Mackintosh
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:33:06 pm

Since upgrading to 16GB of RAM I've had no crashes. Things still get sluggish with multiple layers of titles.

Motion 5, however, crashes repeatedly when editing an effect or title and FCPX is open.
Seems to happen more on Rigs and when you have an instance of the effect applied to a clip in the FCPX timeline.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:29:11 pm

[Walter Soyka] "See, this is what I miss about Mac OS 9. It crashed just the right amount: not so frequently that you couldn't get anything done, but not so rarely that you missed out on good reboot coffee breaks."

And with a solid state system drive, a full reboot only takes about 50 seconds... It's a good thing I don't drink coffee, because I wouldn't have the time!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:46:00 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "And with a solid state system drive, a full reboot only takes about 50 seconds... It's a good thing I don't drink coffee, because I wouldn't have the time!"

I helped a colleague setup a brand new 12core MacPro a few weeks back with an SSD boot drive. I thought something was wrong it boot so fast, and this was a cloned copy of a Snow Leopard install from the old system.

Craziness.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]