FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone take the FCPX certification exam?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jacek
Anyone take the FCPX certification exam?
on Nov 26, 2011 at 1:41:27 pm

I'm preparing to "re-certify" on Final Cut Pro, despite the fact that just about nothing from my many years as an FCP trainer will help me. Has anyone taken the new T3 exam, or even the end-user exam? If so, how difficult is it compared to previous exams? To me, it seems like an incredibly short time to become skilled in a "ground up" application, but if you don't get it done be Dec 9, you're a bit screwed. Another fine mess that Apple's gotten us into.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Anyone take the FCPX certification exam?
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:39:43 pm

This is the most difficult T3 exam I've ever taken, which I suppose isn't wholly surprising as everything is new in the application.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:01:11 pm

passed the trainer exam

yes its tricky

especially getting content in, there are lots of tricky questions to ask.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:20:02 pm

ditto here,

first Apple exam that really made me sweat! But then I had quite a few years of experience before I did the T3 on FCP7.

I'd suggest to edit "for real" for a while besides going through the whole book. The difficulties are in the details.

best of luck.

Patrice

PS: Considering the software was launched end of june, I don't think they did not leave us enough time.

Return to posts index

Josh Davis
on Dec 3, 2011 at 1:51:29 am

What would you recommend for studying? Are the Ripple Training videos helpful as they were on the FCP6-7 T3's?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 3, 2011 at 3:09:39 pm

The Ripple training videos are helpful to learn the application. The certification test is based entirely on the Peachpit book, which is based on 10.0. Nothing in the updates or changes are in the test.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:15:49 pm

I found the last 2 questions puzzling.

Is Apple a great company or the greatest?
And
Do you accept Jobs as your lord and personal savior?

Too soon?

Regarding the date, maybe a major update is forthcoming? Tea leaves!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Dec 3, 2011 at 7:24:23 pm

It is never too soon for a good cup of tea.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:15:29 pm

I wasn't sure myself, so I decided to take the Trial FCP X Exam.

I should point out that I have a very specific workflow for taking exams. Apparently the new FCP X Exam now uses something called Magnetic Paper. Every time I spread the questions out, they just snapped right back together, leaving me no additional time in between questions. Sometimes I need a gap between questions.

Worse, I have to provide all my answers in multiple languages, so I need to keep each language in a separate row. As hard as I tried to keep all the languages separated, they kept magnetically attaching themselves to the answer in whatever way they wanted to. I suppose that would work, but it's not the way I'm used to taking an exam.

Then I discovered there was no multi-pen support. How am I supposed to synchronize my blue and black pen?

Don't get me started on no broadcast quality paper support. How am I supposed I to confirm my answers were accurate?

While I was taking the exam, I noticed other people around me complained about a spinning beach ball that kept getting in their way, making it impossible to do anything. Thankfully, I didn't have that issue.

As I worked my way through the exam, I found myself slowing down to the point where I was almost useless. Apparently, the FCP X exam was consuming all my available brain capacity, making it virtually impossible to control any other functions. I could get to the point where I figured out the answer, but I couldn't get myself to write it down. The instructor suggested I take a break and then restart the exam process. While this seemed to help, it was only a matter of time before I found myself bogged down all over again.

Eventually, when I thought I was all done, I went back to check my work. I was astonished to find many of the questions were no longer connected to my answers. The questions were there. My answers were there. But they weren't connected. The last time I took an FCP exam, I could simply reconnect my answers to the questions. Apparently you can no longer do this with the FCP X exam.

When I finally got up and left, I noticed that the people in the other room were taking the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.1 Exam. They were flying through the exam. No spinning beach balls. No magnetic paper. In fact, they could even bring in all their work from their previous exams. Even work they did on FCP 7 and prior exams. Incredible.

I would love to talk to the person who wrote the FCP X Exam. Clearly it is not written for people who pass exams for a living.

I decided that I'm not going to take this exam until they resolve all these issues.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 1:23:14 pm

That was funny!

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 27, 2011 at 2:04:31 pm

[Tony Brittan] "That was funny!"

Thank you.

Finally, after all my lame attempts at humor, I wrote something funny.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 27, 2011 at 2:25:03 pm

Mad, brilliant and hysterically funny. Thanks!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Nov 27, 2011 at 7:53:48 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I wasn't sure myself, so I decided to take the Trial FCP X Exam. "

Where did you get the practice exam from? I've tried to find a place to buy it, but was told that you can only buy it from the FCP X Exam Store. I have a redemption code, but they make me enter my personal credit information anyway, even though I have no plans to buy another exam. Then I had to be careful not to accidentally get charged for the FCPX Trial Exam, when I already have a redemption code. And then, there is nobody at the FCPX Exam store who will talk to you about your billing problem, so you have to send in a form and wait 24 hours.

Seriously, though. I HATE that I need to pay and take the exam now, in the hopes that MAYBE someday it will become a relevant application for me to teach. And I disagree that this is PLENTY of time, just because this crappy software was released in June. The official book was not released until late September, leaving just over two months to study the material and get used to it. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be okay with not being certified on this current version of FCP X, but if you let your certification lapse, then you are stuck flying to NY or LA, and paying $1000+ to take the classes, just for the privilege of being able to pay to take the same exam.

In this "Do As We Say" era of Apple, I guess we just need to take, and stay in the game at least until "The Turn". Frankly, though, I feel like I'm betting on pocket deuces, or worse.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:39:27 pm

[Chris Jacek] "Where did you get the practice exam from?"

I'm hoping that you either didn't read my entire post, or that you are expanding on my parody of FCP X issues.

If not, I'm sorry to have led you to believe that I actually took a "trial" (my words) FCP X exam. I have no idea if there is in fact a trial exam, I haven't bothered to look.

I have a tenancy to post things I feel are humorous, even though I know not everyone finds humor in what I post.

Sorry for the confusion. (which I created)

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:21:18 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "I'm hoping that you either didn't read my entire post, or that you are expanding on my parody of FCP X issues. "

Man, I had hoped the rest of my post made it apparent that I was continuing the joke.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]