FORUMS: list search recent posts

A new still from FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
A new still from FCP X
on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:30:43 pm

I am sure those of you who are on twitter, have already seen it. But those who have not, here is a grab.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: A new still from FCP X
on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:59:34 pm

Oh my!!! The sky is falling again!!! What are we to do, Sohrab's new still shows a grayed-out feature titled, I hesitate to say the word for fear some here may gag, "Transcode."

Heaven forbid! This must indicate a vast conspiracy in Cupertino, because the evil transcodes were heretofore proclaimed to have been sent the way of the dinosaurs.

On the other hand, maybe our good friend Sohrab has mashed-up this image so we'll all pull out just a few more of our feathers?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:09:10 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "On the other hand, maybe our good friend Sohrab has mashed-up this image so we'll all pull out just a few more of our feathers?"

nope... it was part of the last batch on twitter... i posted a screen grab of it earlier on the previous long pointless thread.

strangely, its the only pic that was taken off that tweet. i noticed it earlier but didn't pay too much attention to it.

but it does clean Sohrab :)

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:17:43 pm

[Hector berrebi] "strangely, its the only pic that was taken off that tweet."

Of course, once "they" realized that old eagle-eyes here had spotted the evil transcode word, the world ceased it's rotation round the sun and ceased to spin upon it's axis until that shot was yanked. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:41:20 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "the evil transcode word,"

actually, i think what got people ticked in that pic was not the grayed out "evil transcode" but the lack of XML in the import sub menu which looks like it became iMovie's best buddy...

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:56:07 pm

[Hector berrebi] "actually, i think what got people ticked in that pic was not the grayed out "evil transcode" but the lack of XML in the import sub menu which looks like it became iMovie's best buddy...
"

Of course FCP 7 can already import iMovie projects (iMovie can export FCP XML's), it just does so more obviously in X.

How do we know we even need to import XML files anymore? For all we know, the new project files ARE XML and you can just open XML files.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:10:52 pm

[John Pale] "How do we know we even need to import XML files anymore?"

Whether or not XML has been consigned to the dustbin (trashcan) of history, it is pretty obvious there is no EDL support, no OMF support and no AAF support. As yet.

Perhaps one of the more pertinent reasons to temper the giddy optimism that seems to be going the rounds right now.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:27:53 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "t is pretty obvious there is no EDL support, no OMF support and no AAF support. As yet. "

Is it that obvious? You might very well be right...but keep in mind, just because its not in the Export Dialog doesn't mean its not there. Its not in Avid's export dialog either. Again...I don't know jack until I actually launch the program, but neither do you.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:35:07 pm

[John Pale] "Its not in Avid's export dialog either"

Correcting myself... EDL isn't in Avid's export dialog...and you have to go further than just the menu to see OMF options...

Keep in mind also, that we have no idea what beta version these screen caps are from. Larry Jordan says he was told the beta version they used to demo at NAB was not the most current beta and much had been added .

Of course the whole thing could be a debacle...you may be right on every level.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:46:52 am

Actually, I think export options would be under the share menu. I am not sure if we have any leaked pictures of share menu. So untill we see it ourselves, can't say if export OMF has been killed or not.

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:15:57 pm

Hi
I like this one:
http://twitpic.com/5ap5ch/full

Second display options, and at the bottom where open projects were selectable/switchable, now its open app(s)...
A full suites worth?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:53:07 pm

And looky there..."Record Audio"

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:00:20 pm

I think that the GO TO COLOR BOARD is the key command here. That kinds shows that COlor has been folded in.

David

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:37:40 pm

Taking a cue from David's sarcasm...

[David Roth Weiss] "Oh my!!! The sky is falling again!!!"

Thats not fair David. Only I am allowed to say that on this forum. After all i have been ranting about it for almost 2 months and now you suddenly want to take over my position.I have had so much fun doing this that very soon I will be doing a series of webinars on ranting about FCP X.

[David Roth Weiss] "On the other hand, maybe our good friend Sohrab has mashed-up this image so we'll all pull out just a few more of our feathers?"

Oh no! My secret is out already. A few days ago Adobe & Avid guys called me(As they found out from my posts that I am a FCP X hater) & we sat down and devised this strategy of coming up with mashed up pics of FCP X.

But you see, they did not choose a very bright person because you have already figured this out!

Sohrab

FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:58:05 pm

Not sure why anyone would be concerned about the 'transcode' item - clearly there's a time and place to transcode footage, irrespective of 'mixed timeline' abilities of any software. Exporting would certainly be speeded up by it.

The import options however....

I'll admit a little pang of pain (if this is true - who the hell knows?) caused by not seeing 'import XML' on there, and two iMovie options, but let's face it - that's an emotional response born out of FCP pro-users disliking the 'iMovie Pro' tag.

Two thoughts:

1. XML import could very easily just be in the 'import file' option as a drop-down. After all - xml's are files. Apple love to simplify menus with sub-menus. It's a lot more likely than that they dropped the single most simple, interoperable file format for EDLs in the industry, isn't it? What would Apple possibly have to gain from dropping it? They'd lose my business and many others beside for sure, so I don't buy it. It's hardly difficult to implement.

2. If you wanted to wind up tenterhook-hanging FCP editors with anything - I think this would do it. So it's more likely to be fake than other shots I've seen. Although on balance, I think answer 1 is more likely - we just can't see it from the screenshot, but it's there.

And I KNOW - We'll find out very soon. If you don't like speculating and deducing a little from the tidbits we've been thrown, well - you're on the wrong forum at the moment....

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:29:49 pm

[Ben Holmes] "It's hardly difficult to implement."

Why do we think this is so? It could well be that the magnetic timeline represents all sorts of interesting challenges in respect of supporting traditional edit interchange formats which may be much harder to resolve than we think.

It's worth observing that the XML export from iMovie is very limited indeed for reasons that seem to me to be directly related to the magnetic timeline. (In particular L-cuts and J-cuts are completely ignored as well as pretty much anything other than the raw video edits along with their attached audio. Note these limitations are specifically described in the export dialogue.)

[Ben Holmes] " Apple love to simplify menus with sub-menus"

But then why isn't the iMovie option hidden in the import File menu as well?

But, hey, just playing devil's advocate here so don't shoot me!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:10:47 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] " It could well be that the magnetic timeline represents all sorts of interesting challenges in respect of supporting traditional edit interchange formats which may be much harder to resolve than we think. "

I don't think that's an issue for an XML import - the footage is imported in a particular shape. The magnetic timeline changes the mechanism by which it is altered, so as a snapshot of a timeline, I don't see an issue.

All I really mean here is that XML is simple data, widely used. I HOPE for these reasons alone, it's still included in FCP X - but hey, you could be right, and I have to flog FCP7 until it dies!

[Simon Ubsdell] "XML export from iMovie is very limited"

Yes, but that's iMovie, and this is FCP X! Haven't we moved on from that little nugget?

IF the menus are genuine, and iMovie integration has pride of place, I think that shows Apple is keen to promote this as an upsell product, like Aperture is to iPhoto (I've been banging on about this for over a year). That doesn't mean pro features aren't included (as with Aperture), but that the learning curve is less steep for prosumers. Good. Complaining otherwise is just Pro snobbery, as far as I can see....

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:46:41 pm

I haven't seen any comments on being able to use iMovie for assistants to ingest, organize, do the color, sound, audio and stabilizing during ingest functions as well as keyword footage and even assemble rough edits in preparation for an edit. Not aware of anything comparable in Adobe or Avid.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:06:21 pm

[Geoff Dills] "...use iMovie for assistants to ingest, organize, do the color, sound, audio and stabilizing during ingest functions as well as keyword footage and even assemble rough edits..."
Hi
We have no info on what a new version - non-QT-based - of iMovie might become.
Maybe it will include more elements from the 'First Cut' ingest application that has been mentioned somewhere in this forum as Ubilos' precursor to what became iMovie 8?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:49:26 pm

[Ben Holmes] "Yes, but that's iMovie, and this is FCP X!"

I think you're missing my point which is certainly not to have that old debate again (although to suggest that there are no useful parallels to be drawn is clearly flying in the face of the evidence IMO).

I was suggesting that the iMovie/XML model is instructive inasmuch as it shows that the magnetic timeline doesn't easily lend itself to edit interchange formats - which is kind of what one is led to suspect a priori. In other words iMovie's XML export isn't hamstrung because it's iMovie but because there are inherent issues arising from the implementation of the magnetic timeline. Note also that in pre-iMovie 08 you could get a fairly decent timeline out of iMovie and into FCP, again suggesting that the magnetic timeline was the sticking point.

Which is not to say that this won't all be resolved come release date and of course the screenshots might be worthless as evidence ...

[Ben Holmes] "Pro snobbery"

No pro snobbery from me - I think iMovie is amazingly good, in fact much too good for it's supposed consumer target market.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]