FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts so far on MC6 from a FCP7 user

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Jones
Thoughts so far on MC6 from a FCP7 user
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:18:21 pm

So I've been on the quest to find the replacement for Final Cut Pro 7. I've dabbled with Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and now Media Composer 6. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I used Media Composer 10 years ago before switching to Final Cut Pro and I'll start off by saying that Avid seems to have come a long way since those days. I'm not familiar with the Avid terminology so please forgive me if I sound a little like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I downloaded the MC6 trial a few days ago and just installed the Kona 3 drivers yesterday. I'm working on an old 8 core Mac 2,1 Computer with 8 GB of ram. The first thing I noticed was that it seems to be really peppy. Moving the clips around, insert editing, output to broadcast monitor, etc. I have Premiere Pro on this same computer and it has a really hard time keeping up. Premiere Pro seems very clunky and output to Kona works sometimes and sometimes not. Avid worked with my Kona 3 card as soon as I installed the drivers.

It's taken me a little bit getting used the Avid way of editing again. With Final Cut Pro 7 and Premiere Pro you can grab clips, throw them on the timeline anywhere you want, drag in and out points, etc. Avid you have to be in certain modes, even though they have an 'auto mode'(Forgive me for lack of terminology) that seems to do a pretty good job.

The new avid interface is very good. It fills the computer screen nicely. Having source/program monitors are very nice. It seems to be very easy to find commands, etc.

I'm going to try it out for another 30 days, and I'll report back then. I'm very excited about what's going on in the post world right now. The prices have come way down since the old days and for the most part, the software has gotten a lot better.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]