FORUMS: list search recent posts

Those who have switched, how are you getting on?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Those who have switched, how are you getting on?
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:20:09 pm

I'd be interested in thoughts from those who have switched to other NLE's from FCS3, how has the changeover been and what good and bad things have you been discovering?

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Those who have switched, how are you getting on?
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:57:19 pm

I'm still sitting in my nappy screaming.
I haven't really done anything bar poke repeatedly at FCPX on my lappie or at the store while swallowing bile and - checking out PPro 5.5.

there are actually no toys left to throw out at this stage. I have thrown every toy out about five times by now.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:21:01 pm

It might be too early to really give conclusive answers as things are still in full swing. MC6 just came out, CS6 could be a major upgrade addressing several issues and wishlists so it will be a gradual transition from FCS3 to whatever one might pick in the end.

As we all knew, FCS3 could do a lot a lot quite well, very few things perfect and some stuff not at all.
Both Premiere and MC can do some stuff pretty perfect but are not really suitable for others. So, I will be using more than one program depending on the job.
I will also be evaluating Edius and Vegas in the weeks and months ahead.

The best thing I am taking away from the whole FCP-X story (the app itself , the way it was introduced and the weeks following the introduction) is that I do not want to rely on Apple any longer.
And I am calling this a "best thing" because it's been an eye opener for me in many ways. We got two HP z800s in and it is fantastic hardware with so many possibilities. I cannot put it any other way… it's been a relief looking on the other side of the fence and seeing what is out there. There are better things to do than worry about what other other innovative/destructive/disruptive surprises Apple has up its sleeve and there are apparently enough people around who happily play along so those who jump ship and don't look back won't cause enough havoc to change Apple's ways.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:28:16 pm

Well...mostly I haven't. FCP 7 still does 100% of what I need to do, so at least on the main job I have (my semi-staff position) we'll be using FCP 7 for at least another year...well, until it no longer does what we need. And I still do a few side projects on FCP 7 as well...per the clients needs.

For other work I have gone back to Avid Media Composer...mainly older versions, MC5.0.3 that is on a PC...but also the newest version on my own rig for one job. And that is old hat for me...going back to what I left. But it is better now, more responsive, easier to do what I need to do.

But really...still using FCP 7 because that is what the company I am working for uses, and it still works fine. Although when I go from Avid MC on a PC to FCP on a Mac, my keyboard combinations mess up my timelines a little, until I switch my muscle memory back.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:42:08 pm

I'm continuing to work with FCP 7, and see myself doing so for at least another year. I AM working Media Composer back into my workflow--right now I'm using it for Select Reels and rough edits to get my fingers back--while still finishing on FCP 7. With MC 6--and its enhanced ability to work with ProRes (the majority of projects I currently work on come to me in ProRes)--I'll probably take it further and begin finishing the odd project with it in late Winter or early Spring. This will give both me and the version a chance to work bugs out. My guess is that it will be about 3 years before FCS 3 is pretty much gone from the Hollywood scene, give or take.

I'm enjoying some of the new MC features (on 5.5; I'm downloading 6 as I type) and am happy to be back with a few of the old. I love the K/L, K/J key combos, for instance, and have never quite understood why FCP didn't incorporate that into its JKL setup. Other things still seem a little kludgy to me, but I expect I will just get use to that. And 6, on paper, looks like it will handle some of that.

I WILL miss the broad freedom of the FCP interface. Anywhere I go from there, frankly, isn't quite as nice.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:15:38 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I love the K/L, K/J key combos, for instance, and have never quite understood why FCP didn't incorporate that into its JKL setup."

Are you refering to slo-mo forward and reverse? Because those same combos work in FCP.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:52:29 pm

[Andy Neil] "[Chris Harlan] "I love the K/L, K/J key combos, for instance, and have never quite understood why FCP didn't incorporate that into its JKL setup."

Are you refering to slo-mo forward and reverse? Because those same combos work in FCP.

Andy
"

OMG, that is SO funny. I had no idea. And, I tried every version to see if it finally showed up! And would mutter to myself that it hadn't, and yet it was too small a deal to bitch about on a board like this. What a laugh. Turns out that if you start the move on FCP by pressing "K" first, which is what I generally do, there is a 3-4 second lag you have to hold for before it kicks into slow scan. On Avid, it goes immediately. So, every time I tried, I'd press the key combo and it wouldn't work. It never occurred to me to hold it down for a full 4 seconds. Of course, if you start with "L" and add "k" the change is immediate, but I never tried to do that because I didn't think the function was there. Dang. You learn something every day.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:34:55 pm

Yes, the flexibility is what drew me to FCP to begin with. I've been working with Avid for almost 20 years and you still can't have more than one timeline open at once. What the Hell is going on with that?

bigpine

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:45:14 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I've been working with Avid for almost 20 years and you still can't have more than one timeline open at once."

Can too. You can load one into the SOURCE side (The Viewer) and toggle back and forth.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:52:05 pm

You can actually open as many timelines as you want - you switch between them using the fast menu in the upper right of the source monitor. They just aren't tabbed like FCP.

If you want to cut between them or compare them do what Shane said.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matthew Celia
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:15:52 pm

I've been dabbling in Premiere and it's very familiar to me as a FCP 7 editor, but in the ways it isn't, I find it very annoying. AE round-tripping is fantastic. It feels very snappy, although since my machine isn't a CUDA one, it can't play back in real time nearly as well as FCPX.

I've been getting along with X quite well, aside from some bumps in the road. Now with free automatic duck, free davinci resolve lite, and foolcut, it does 95% of what I need it to do. Would love better effects round-tripping...

Haven't opened up FCP7 in a while actually.

Saw Avid MC6 demo'd recently and still thought it was clunky and unintuitive for me. I don't get why you have to press a button and use the patch bay to trim clips. I don't know, Avid to me has always seemed to get more in the way of storytelling rather than help it.

I hear what people are saying about moving towards PC and power to them, but I'd feel so lost having to learn how to troubleshoot and work in windows that I'd probably lose far more productivity than any speed I'd gain trying to have the latest and greatest - after all, everybody is leapfrogging each other in technology these days anyway. My advice is to pick something, be confident that it's for you, and master it.

----------------
FCP Guru
http://www.fcpguru.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:23:18 pm

[Matthew Celia] "I don't get why you have to press a button and use the patch bay to trim clips."

YOu don't. Hold down the OPT key (Alt on a PC) and drag a box (right to left) around the tracks you want to trim. BAM...trim mode. No matter what tracks are highlighted when you start.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:27:49 pm

I made the full switch. Not just switching from FCP to EDIUS but from Mac to PC as well. The total cost was about half what a Mac set up would have been and now I no longer have to render and have a system that will accept virtually any video format/frame rate/resolution etc on the same time line without a blip. I can't be believe people have been editing this way for years and no one told me. No spinning beach balls for me anymore.

The one thing I miss after switching is Motion. I should learn After Effects, and I've been making some half arsed moves in that direction, but I do just enjoy shuttling things around in Motion. It might have it's limitations but you could get great effects very quickly.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:52:37 pm

Amazing what you don't know even after working with something so long. Thanks for the tip.

bigpine

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:51:10 pm

Yes, and I do that. But that's not the same as actually being able to toggle back and forth between two timelines.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:17:03 am

Frank, has the switch to the z800 been pretty smooth?

I'm continuing to give FCP X a chance, but if I'm not happy with the next update, or Apple seems like it's too unreliable, I've been thinking about moving over from my 2009 Mac Pro to a Z800 and CS 5.5 and possibly Avid as well.

I love the Z800's expandability. I could add anything i want to that beast, including some nice graphics cards. But my last PC experiences 3-5 years ago on XP only reinforced my desire to keep as far away from Windows as possible. I know Windows 7 is supposed to be better/more reliable.

Thanks!

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:37:53 am

Hi Helmut,

I have been using Win7 on Bootcamp MacPros for quite a while and although it hasn't been my main day-in-day-out OS so far I always found it very stable, flexible and trouble free. I am actually looking forward to digging deeper into its bowels and spent more time with it. There is some stuff I like better in OSX but there are also elements that I find flat-out superior on Win7. Nothing out of the ordinary when moving from one OS to another - relearning, changing ones way of thinking, looking for helpful shareware to replace things one has gotten used to on the Mac side, some googling for tips and fine-tuning.
The z800s is the best workstation I ever had my hands on. Yes, its expandability is absolutely amazing, as is its horsepower in combination with Cuda.
All our add-on cards work smooth, no crashes, no blu-screens. So far the only issue has been the inability to encode to Prores on the Win side but DNX-HD looks like it can fill that spot just beautifully.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:56:53 am

Thanks very much, Frank, I appreciate the real-world report.

I'm going to give Apple until March to announce a new Mac Pro. If that happens and it has some Thunderbolt ports as well as its 4 PCIe ports, then I'll probably buy it. If there's no new Mac Pro, then I will strongly consider the Z800.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:20:52 pm

I switched from FCS3 to Avid MC5.5 (and now 6) about 6 months ago. The first month was a terrible swear-fest. It got better gradually. Our next TV show was one of those reality TV shows where footage was being shot up the wazoo ... so, despite the annoying quirks with Avid I learned to appreciate the media management and have been generally happy.

I still dislike how Avid handles graphics, and especially its layering system (filler... filler is black? lets stop pretending we're cutting film already...). For anything graphics-heavy I would choose Premiere Pro. For narrative film I would definitely use Avid.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Not going anywhere.
on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:58:09 pm

I downloaded the Avid trial last week. Yikes. Stupid things like dragging a clip up to create a new track don't exist. It reminded me of all the things I hated about Avid for years. After a few hours I deleted it. Oh, and it took 90 seconds to import a 30 second clip in prores. There's no way I'm going back to that.

We tried premiere and playback didn't work right on both a screen and external monitor using Kona 3. I hear about enough little glitches in premiere to where I don't have any desire to go further.

So we're staying on with FCP7 for now. Maybe it's a dead tech, but I'd rather hang out here and wait for X to get fixed next year than deal with any other NLE. Maybe CS6 will be better. Definitely not going to Avid though. I imagine if you're fluent in Avid it's an awesome thing, but it seems so unnecessarily complicated that I won't be leading us down that path. If anything, the others remind me of why I like FCP7 so much. I did try the alternatives with as much of an open mind as I could muster. My first edits ever were on Avid - I'd love to go back to them - but it's not right for us at this time. I feel handcuffed by it.

Maybe 2012 will a glorious year for NLE's.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
Re: Not going anywhere.
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:27:11 am

What makes you believe apple will "finish" x next year?

I'm not disputing it could happen, but I keep reading people talking about the future for Apple like they have access to internal Memos.

As far as I know now about Apple, they are not planning to "finish" anything They seem to have indicated they will add some features, but getting it up to FCP7 or beyond..... there is nothing I've read from anyone but users, who, after all are guessing, or praying, that says Apple's doing anything that will match Avid or Adobe or for that matter Edius.

I'm just interested in understanding why you and others believe something is happening contrary to the reality that is present today.

D

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:43:16 am

Apple said they'll add 3rd party support next year. That was my first clue.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/20/apple_updates_final_cut_pro_x...

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:15:59 am

[John Davidson] " Oh, and it took 90 seconds to import a 30 second clip in prores. There's no way I'm going back to that."

You don't import a ProRes Clip, you use AMA for that. It comes in near instantly. Took me a little while to figure that one out too.

[John Davidson] "We tried premiere and playback didn't work right on both a screen and external monitor using Kona 3. I hear about enough little glitches in premiere to where I don't have any desire to go further."

Need to be on an 8 core minimum machine to make ProRes work with AJA Kona board.

There are more "gotchas" in Premiere Pro than Avid, but it's pretty easy to pick up, especially if you use Richard Harrington's book.

In both cases, Avid / Adobe, workflows are much faster than cutting with FCP 7. Our clients have noticed because they no longer have time to have coffee, read emails and play games on the computer because Log and Transfer is gone. We are literally trimming hours off some edits just by not transcoding anything. So not sitting still on FCP 7 is already paying dividends for us and our clients.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:41:27 am

I've been wondering if promos translate as well compared to most edit styles on the cow. We don't do long string outs so renders aren't really an issue for us. It's completely possible that the other systems are better for longer form. That said, I also feel that X isn't really suited for promos either. All that metadata stuff is kind of irrelevant when all you're looking for is :30 to 2:00 of awesomeness.

I had heard that AMA was best for preview purposes. Is that wrong?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:52:10 am

AMA used to be just a way to access footage that you then convert. But with each update it gets better, and now Avid allows native editing of many formats via AMA.

I too cut promos, that is most of what I do lately. I still need separate track access and control (most of the time my mix is the final mix, and I have strict audio deliverable configs), external viewing (as I do the final color), and capture of non-FireWire formats.

Gobs of metadata is useless to me I watch the footage, make my notes, and cut. I tried FCX for one promo as a test and it was just all backwards for me. Heck, Avid is a bit much for what I do with Promos, and for a while didn't do a few things I needed (audio wise). FCP 7 is perfect for my spots

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:43:07 am

[Shane Ross] "FCP 7 is perfect for my spots
"

Here, here! Best promo machine ever.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:25:42 pm

[John Davidson] "I had heard that AMA was best for preview purposes. Is that wrong?"

As Shane said, that used to be the case, but now AMA is truly just about there for all formats. Just a few still need to be converted but for the most part you can just edit away using AMA. Heck you can now record to ProRes in Avid these days.

Read Shane's full review here for a very in depth look at what the new MC6 is all about.

http://lfhd.net/2011/11/03/the-more-open-avid-media-composer-6-0/

I also have an article here on the Cow about Avid keeping their promise with MC6.

http://library.creativecow.net/biscardi_walter/Avid-Media-Composer-6/1

Bottom line, all the tools play nicely with pretty much whatever hardware you now have in the shop so you're pretty free to choose whatever you want to use for whatever suits your style.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:25:03 pm

[walter biscardi]"As Shane said, that used to be the case, but now AMA is truly just about there for all formats. Just a few still need to be converted but for the most part you can just edit away using AMA."

Is it no longer buggy? When I last used AMA (or tried to) in a post house, it tended to crash the machine. But it was an earlier iteration of it. Just wondering what still needs to be converted as oppposed to native editing and how stable it is overall.

Also, you still have to conform your edit to an Avid codec at the end, right?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:24:57 am

I've done a couple large and numerous small projects in PPro over last several months. The best thing (by far) for my workflow is not having to transcode footage from my AF100. I've found in FCP that both Panny's AVCHD codec and the Clipwrap wrapper are both buggy as heck, more likely than not to crash FCP when used. So to use AF100 footy in FCP, need to L&T into ProRes, with something like a 10X blow up in filesize. (My HPX500 P2 media doesn't change size when imported, of course.) Using PPro, simply copy the card media over, and start editing. Nice. (Yeah, there is that "generating peak files nonsense, but a fast RAID helps.)

Basic editing.... hmmm.... think FCP uses a slightly more concise set of "rules" for targeting tracks, etc. Always seems I'm clicking one too many times in PPro. I prefer how Markers appear below the clip in the bin in FCP. Multicam in FCP is slightly better. FAR LESS mandatory rendering in PPro, but at the expense of watching crappy RT FX if you don't render. Give me clip audio mixing versus track mixing, thank you (nod to FCP). Title tool WAY better in PPro. FAR FEWER transition filters in PPro, native or 3rd party (yeah, I do a fair bit of corporate, and there's always a need to glow/shimmer/roll/shiny-trick-thing transition). Sure hope FxFactory comes to PPro.

Exporting for complex GFX, comps, etc - yeah baby! AFX is my old friend! While I do like Motion's Behaviors, After Effects is the shiznit for almost anything else. My god, there is so much you can do with AFX. I don't even know where the wall **is** in AFX, the program's so flexible.

Adobe's apps really can push your iron for all it's worth. Fun to watch all those cores bang away. But RAM is way more critical than in FCP. The 8GB I had wasn't doing it with PPro - but once I went to 32GB things flew.

Stability - not a problem so far.

Tried to think of more, but the pizza just arrived.....

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-AFX-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500/AF100

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:17:29 am

I made the switch to CS 5.5.2, but I also made the switch to the PC from the Mac.

I just finished my first major piece - an 8 minute corporate video with as many as 7 layers at a time. Now, take a seat, cause it was all realtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a number of Premiere to AE return trips, which was flaws. I also did a few Premiere to Audition (read sound booth) round trips, worked great. The encoding software is tons faster than compressor, and has more options. I've made a Blu-Ray disc, a better quality SD DVD, and sent some stuff to YouTube. All in record time.

The PC, which I built from scratch cost me less than $2K, has 13.5TB of storage, 16GB of RAM and 6 cores (It's an AMD - I'd like to move up to the Bulldozer 8 core this winter). For the first time in years, and I do mean years, I had fun editing again. You can experiment without waiting for 15 minutes to render, change things in a heart beat, and much more. When I did render my final video it took seconds, not hours.

I liked being an Apple guy, and I will use my 27inch quad core iMac and laptop for quite sometime for my internet stuff, email, etc. But the PC rules for editing.

It's cheaper to build, cheaper to upgrade, and it is almost as stable as the Mac. There are still some quirks about using a PC.

I can't but wonder how great CS6.0 will be as I know Adobe is keen to accept feature requests from their customers. They actually listen it seems. I can't remember when Apple listened to anyone.

Oh, and Craig. All this was possible without a Thunderbolt port. WOW!

DBK

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:58:08 pm

[Darren Kelly] "The PC, which I built from scratch cost me less than $2K, has 13.5TB of storage, 16GB of RAM and 6 cores (It's an AMD - I'd like to move up to the Bulldozer 8 core this winter)."

You might be better off with today's AMD chip, or so I read.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:10:28 am

Well first off, we're running Avid MC6, Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5.2 and FCP 7 all on the same machine, two machines actually, and we can even run them all at the same time. All with the AJA Kona 3 boards. So it's a GREAT time to be an editor. :)

Both Adobe and Avid are faster than FCP 7. By that I mean they are much more efficient with digital media formats not needing to be converted to a codec of choice just to edit. Get the footage on the system and go.

Both are easy to use, both can use all the FCP hardware from cards to storage devices. There are excellent training materials for both to make it a pretty easy transition for any FCP editor to move over.

Both are metadata rich.

Avid has much more solid tape controls than Adobe at this time.

We have completed broadcast projects with both Adobe and Avid. The end product doesn't look any different.

The DNxHD codecs are lighter on our systems than ProRes and we're really glad to see so many third party companies coming on with that codec as I now prefer it to ProRes. In testing we determined that to run ProRes with Adobe Premiere and the AJA Kona board, that requires an 8 core machine. However Avid Media Composer 6 can run ProRes on a 4 core machine. We're really not sure why. Same machine, same Kona board, but there you go.

There are things to flat out love about both Adobe and Avid. There are things to hate about Adobe and Avid. What those things are will depend on you and what you like and don't like about each.

For us, it's all be pretty good making the change. The fallout from FCP X really forced me to take a good long hard look at Adobe and Avid to see if there was an alternative. Myself and the editors at my shop have been pleasantly surprised at what we've found. We're really happy with the alternatives both from an editing standpoint and from a business standpoint. Going Adobe / Avid opens us up to a cross platform workflow so I'm not longer tied directly to Apple products and waiting for them to advance their computers. I can build three Windows edit workstations for the price of one top of the line Mac Pro. That's the same argument I used to make for buying FCP over Avid.

We know for sure we're going to support both Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer 6 in our shop. Being an independent post house, there's no reason not to. We'll make the decision shortly which will be our "primary" NLE, but whichever that one turns out to be, we'll also stay up to speed on the other.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:13:23 am

I've gone the Premiere Pro route. I've completed one project so far, and it went well, despite not having spent much time trying to learn the software. As to be expected, I found some things better than FCP, and sometimes wishing PPro had a feature available in FCP. The integration with After Effects and the minimal amount of rendering needed were my best surprises. On the other hand, I do miss some of the plugins/effects that were available to me in FCP. All in all, I'm satisfied, and think I made the right decision.

I don't ever see adopting FCP X, if for no other reason than not wanting to be vulnerable to another Apple debacle. I love their hardware and operating system, but their application software whims aren't going to bite me again.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:03:37 am

Still on FCP.7 and without any rush to change.
When I'll need to change I'll go PP but not sure about the platform.
The economy around here only has permitted people to shift to FCP during the last three years and FCP just became the industrial standard recently.
In Macs or Hackintosh, they will keep working with FC.7 for a few year whatever happen in the rest of the world and this will be like that in many countries.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]