FORUMS: list search recent posts

From Apple Insider today...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
From Apple Insider today...
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:23:18 am

Apple Insider just posted an interesting piece on Apple VP of worldwide iOS product marketing Greg Joswiak.

He talked about four of Apple's "defining traits" - among them...

Joswiak also mentioned courage as one of Apple's defining traits. The Cupertino, Calif., company has in part built a name for itself for its bold business decisions, such as adopting new unproven technologies abandoning older ones ahead of its competitors.

”Courage drives a lot of decisions in business," he said. "Don’t hang on to ideas from the past even if they have been successful for you.” ...

______

I'll duck down behind my desk now while you guys get your knives out...

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: From Apple Insider today...
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:35:22 am

You forgot one:
Be the best

The fourth and final guiding principle that Joswiak shared was Apple's commitment to only enter markets that it believes it can be the best in. Each of the three products currently under the executive's watch -- the iPod, iPhone and iPad, has arguably become the best in its industry.

”If you can’t enter the market and try and be the best in it, don’t enter it. You need that differentiation. At Apple if we can’t be the best then we are not interested in it,” Joswiak said.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 20, 2011 at 6:38:06 am

[David Lawrence] "has arguably become the best in its industry."

Well, there's the rub.

Is "the industry" - limited to the needs of the top pro facilities editors?
Or does apple see it as the wider world of ALL those who need to edit video at a level higher than iMovie can accommodate?

Does the editor working on the video for the local car dealership, the municipal water district, or the university sports team deserve to have their wants and needs prioritized right alongside those of the feature film or the episodic TV editor?

I don't know the answer to that, btw.

I just know that the question reminds me of the classic conundrum of prayer in public schools. Like everyone else, I'm all for them - just as long as *I* get to decide which ones. Its when somebody else gets to set the prayer agenda, that we tend to bristle.

And so it goes.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 2:58:36 pm

"just know that the question reminds me of the classic conundrum of prayer in public schools. Like everyone else, I'm all for them - just as long as *I* get to decide which ones. Its when somebody else gets to set the prayer agenda, that we tend to bristle."

But I thought I count as an "everyone" and I'm opposed to the idea of any type of prayer in a public school. Not trying to make this a political thread, just pointing out that you often argue from a point of view that intimates that your personal experience is universal, when it isn't.

I think it's quite clear what Apple means by "best" - being the market leader and trend setter. Time will tell if that applies to FCPX. It never did for Motion, which was also written from scratch by these same Apple geniuses to revolutionize compositing. Hardly. And if X turns out to be merely a good program that serves it users but doesn't go on to become market leader - what then?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:24:52 pm

[Herb Sevush] "leader and trend setter. Time will tell if that applies to FCPX."

hah. I'm sitting here with my macbook pro, mac pro, and an iphone beside me... but even I cannot buy this one.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:49:52 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But I thought I count as an "everyone" and I'm opposed to the idea of any type of prayer in a public school. Not trying to make this a political thread, just pointing out that you often argue from a point of view that intimates that your personal experience is universal, when it isn't."

Herb,

You're correct. Actually, I pushed the rhetorical point too far. And so publicly apologize to any agnostics, ignostics, or just plain folks who don't want this distracting diversion. And I acknowledge that I'm prone to falling into the very same trap I often argue against — thinking that my experiences should be relevant to all.

I must say that if you look over my writing here overall, I'm more often part of the minority than the majority. So in that sense, I believe my views help present a bit of "check and balance" to some running trends and that may contribute to a broader picture for the lurkers - but I also freely admit that balance is in the eye of the beholder. So your point stands.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 20, 2011 at 6:29:20 pm

[Bill Davis] "I must say that if you look over my writing here overall, I'm more often part of the minority than the majority. So in that sense, I believe my views help present a bit of "check and balance" to some running trends and that may contribute to a broader picture for the lurkers"

Huh? It's the opposite. Your view is very extreme towards FCPX. The majority - aka, the greater number of people who edit video in a professional setting, give YOUR agressive forum proselytizing a more balanced picture. "Running trends" ? Oh c'mon, stop trying to win some kind of imaginary information war here. The majority of us are going to use whatever gets the job done in order to make a living. If we don't use it... well, there's probably a very good reason why - not because we're involved in some kind of secretive pact to make Apple lose the NLE market. We really don't care what logo flashes for 5 seconds before the program loads up.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:22:13 am

[Daniel Frome] "The majority - aka, the greater number of people who edit video in a professional setting, give YOUR agressive forum proselytizing a more balanced picture."

Well then thanks, I guess.

I didn't think I was anywhere nearly that influential. (and suspect I'm actually not.) but if you feel it takes the collective group to counteract my individual opinions in the minds of those who read these discussions, I'm honored to be even taken that seriously.

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:52:11 pm

just because Motion isnt after effects is hardly a reason to diss it

In my opinion it is much much better for specific tasks and those tasks seem to be the ones asked for the majority of the time e.g. design, basic 3D, GPU accelarated graphics.

If you need high end compositing After Effects fits a few needs but its a shame it still feels like Photoshop with keyframes, its such an inefficient use of screen estate in a software of today that it is frankly laughable.

I chose to move off from After Effects many years ago as a consequnce of the time spent moving between tabbed windows that never worked. Combustion (and by that I would probably suggest Smoke) are good for nodal compositing and those needs as is Nuke. If this is what you need, then the software exists to do those tasks, its just not made by Apple (Shake never was going to fit in it was old code and Apple wasnt making lots of cash of it).

I would love apple to build all my software but if it retains an open XML output then it is still as valid as when FCP4 launched those features, that these are out within a 3 month period of launch says a lot

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 6:04:13 pm

"just because Motion isnt after effects is hardly a reason to diss it"

I'm not "dissing" Motion. I use it all the time. But the facts are that while it was totally written from scratch by Apple it is neither the market leader nor the trend setter in compositing. I see no reason to believe that just because Apple wrote FCPX from scratch it will achieve either of those states either. It might, but then again it might not. Apple's track record in this area, application software, is not nearly as strong as their track record in consumer gadgets.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:36:14 pm

Excuse me if I don't base my business on marketing motherhood statements. Like Apple, I am prepared to boldly dump FCP for something new even though it has been successful for me in the past.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 9:58:22 pm

"Excuse me if I don't base my business on marketing motherhood statements,"

I have no idea what this refers to.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 20, 2011 at 10:50:30 pm

Herb, from Apple VP of worldwide iOS product marketing Greg Joswiak in the original post came this motherhood statement - ”Courage drives a lot of decisions in business," he said. "Don’t hang on to ideas from the past even if they have been successful for you.” ...

My point was that I could just as easily apply that back at Apple by saying I should not hang on to their ideas even though I have had past success with their products. However, I do not base my business decisions on such broad brush market speak. I know Bill is keen as mustard on the new paradigm and is looking for reassurance from within Apple that the new world order of editing is the golden path endorsed from the Apple priesthood.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 10:59:28 pm

Gotcha. I was just sidetracked because your post came attached to mine, but yeah, that was an amazing load of crap. I always am deeply impressed when someone tells me how courageous they are. It's safe to say that one of Apple's core traits isn't humility. In many ways their corporate identity reminds me of the WWF, another bold market leader that isn't afraid of changing it's identity and killing off it's old favorites to make way for the new -- unless they need Hulk Hogan for a quick ratings boost.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 20, 2011 at 11:23:11 pm

Apple to me is the geek who was bullied becoming the cool kid with attendant bullies of their own.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Nov 21, 2011 at 3:59:11 am

The one related most to FCPX would be the second key: Simplicity

"Simplicity

The second key to Apple's success is the process of making a complex thing simple, Joswiak noted. According to him, the company's products begin simple, become increasingly simple as they are built, and then are brought back to simplicity.

"A lot of people think it means take something simple and leave it at its core essence. But it isn’t that. When you start to build something, it quickly becomes really complex. But that is when a lot of people stop. If you really know your product and the problems, then you can take something that is complex and then make it simple.
"

Especially those words in bold. They know all the stuff that made editing with FCP7 a pain, so they removed all of them and replaced it with lots of new advanced solutions.

Everyone pretty much agrees with FCPXs superior, organization tools, rough cut speed and fresh interface. Its the new and improved timeline that's getting most worked up. But like everything else thats new, you just got to learn it. Its very powerful once you get to know it.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:37:06 am

[Gerald Baria] "But like everything else thats new, you just got to learn it. Its very powerful once you get to know it."

If experienced editors need to learn it, that suggests it isn't simple or intuitive. Simplicity is also something that is almost always limiting to power users. I have been involved in software development with DAWs for decades and elegance and adaptable is what we aimed for, not simplicity.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Nov 21, 2011 at 1:04:36 pm

So what are you saying, that "experienced" editors ate shpposed to NOT learn anything new anymore cause the're...uhmmm...experienced already.

The exact point of simplofication is take outall the redundant stuff and just make the primary purpose REALLY,REALLY good. Complocated software does not make it more pro, its just a testament to its lazy, unimaginative developer.

That's what makes Apple differrent, they take the extra mile to break the rules..mix power and simplicity.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:15:38 am

(frequent reader, rare poster)

It is SO nice to see this issue stated so clearly: Elegance, not Simplicity. THAT is the mark of truly excellent software that is both powerful and a joy to use. Thank you! FCP classic hit the sweet spot on that, whereas it's why I can't use FCPX (too simple), and get frustrated by Avid (inelegant).

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:42:56 pm

You have a very valid point there. But if I have to choose the lesser of the two evils it certainly won't be simplicity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]