FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:56:41 am

Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman spoke at MoPictive (Moving Pictures Collective formerly FCPUGNY) in addition to his usually FCPX demo he said that he'd been beta testing the next major release of FCPX coming next year. Obviously with the NDA guns pointed at his head all he could say is that he's very happy with the way Multicam is being implement, broadcast monitor is good, there's other good stuff coming and he'll be moving his facility to . . .

FCPX on that release.

He feels it'll be ready to take on their professional work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:08:39 am

The cat is back!

;-)

Put on your body armor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:20:31 am

And the claws have been sharpened. He admits he likes the catnip.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 17, 2011 at 3:26:23 am

Cool. Let the speculation on the "other good stuff" begin!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:23:42 am

[Walter Soyka] "Cool. Let the speculation on the "other good stuff" begin!"

Of course we all have our wish lists and fantasies but I'll play Kremlinology recalling possible clues.

Evan did mention the significance of Lion having server built in, when he made apparently tangential comments but later also mentioned that the separation between Events and Projects was important. It sounds like a clues about FCS like features returning maybe through Lion server as opposed to a separate product.

BTW there was some offhand comments about what might replace the MacPro but only expressed as a "wish." It sounded similar to my speculation about rack mountable two PCIe slots and SSD but with internal hard drive expansion (I'm guessing just one additional).

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:01:21 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Evan did mention the significance of Lion having server built in, when he made apparently tangential comments but later also mentioned that the separation between Events and Projects was important. It sounds like a clues about FCS like features returning maybe through Lion server as opposed to a separate product."

Another tea leaf to add to this line: Lion dropped prior OS X Server versions' included MySQL in favor of PostgreSQL, the database that underpinned FCSvr.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:22:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Of course we all have our wish lists and fantasies but I'll play Kremlinology recalling possible clues."

My first thought for a broadcast deliverables (after he mentioned monitoring) was some sort of EDL support or tape control.

Don't they run Smoke at Outpost Digital? That'd be another clue to EDL support (or they're running a beta of Smoke with FCPXML support). Either way, it's good for interchange.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:23:22 am

Like 123 months ago, I was all non-diclosured up and working on this project for the release of a Dean Kamen project that was code-named "Ginger." There was much Internet speculation about what Ginger was. People were thinking skateboard-shaped hovercrafts and all other kinds of wildness. I was looking at Ginger everyday--and it really was amazing; it turned out to be the Segway--but nowhere near as cool as a skateboard-shaped hovercraft. 9/11 intervened and put a kibosh on the release, so I don't really know how it would have done on its own, but it was definitely nowhere near as cool as a skateboard-shaped hovercraft. Man, that was only 123 months ago.

Here's wishing the next version of FCP X is as cool as a skateboard-shaped hovercraft

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:37:39 am

I don't know how your analogy holds. Evan is a beta tester as well as a facility owner/manager as well as CTO. He knows what the next version will have and knows what his facility (50 plus seats in NY) needs. He knows FCPX will meet that need. It has nothing to do with public perception. His a businessman who knows it'll work for his business.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:45:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] "He knows what the next version will have and knows what his facility (50 plus seats in NY) needs."

This is very interesting news, but what's more relevant is whether this will be the exclusive NLE he deploys or simply another option. And, will he also deploy Premiere Pro or Media Composer or Lightworks? Putting it in as an option for clients is a no-brainer. Committing to it exclusively is having real skin in the game.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

tony west
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:20:57 pm

In his video a while back I think he called PrP and other track based systems an "old way of editing"
and called this (X) awesome.
(I'm not saying I agree with him or disagree on the "old way" just pointing out what he said to show where he is most likely headed)

He just appears to be passionate about this "style" of editing.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't his main system.

I can see where he is coming from. I like this style also. People who like this style are just willing to work around what is missing, figuring stuff will be added later.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:59:13 pm

Craig, it wasn't an analogy. I wasn't arguing anything. I was simply responding--wistfully--to Walter saying "Cool. Let the speculation on the "other good stuff" begin!"

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:56:38 pm

Evan Schectman is the FCPX proselytizer that gave the demo espousing it's virtues at Tekserve in NY. The only thing at all surprising about this announcement is that I thought, based on his talk, that he had committed to X months ago. Since he was thrilled all to tears with X before, I think it prudent to actually wait and see what the new upgrades will be.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:12:45 pm

i feel bad for those 50 plus seats that have to use it besides him :p.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:25:51 pm

That's assuming he actually does it.

Talk is cheap.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:24:05 pm

Why Neil?

Didn't the guy from ABC Sports pop up here and say that the PROS working in the big network trucks initially were grumpy, but when they noticed how the database stuff could make their lives a LOT easier, they all started changing their tune and embracing what the new approach does really well?

Perhaps Outpost simple is having the same kind of experience.

Once they saw how the features fit in what they're doing - they stopped focusing on what's currently missing and found things that it DOES that helps them do their work?

That's a little bit similar to what happened with me.

I was struggling my first few weeks with it, then when it "clicked" the hassles started to drop away. Then when I had to go back and cut something on Legacy, I found myself DEEPLY missing a whole LOT of what I'd suddenly become accustomed to in X.

Different strokes, for sure. But why presume that because it's not working for you - that means it's going to disappoint everyone. Isn't that a bit short sighted?

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:08:44 pm

I say that only because hes the first person to say so, and yes - we dont know if he asked for any of his employees opinons on the matter. How would you liked to be forced into software you didnt want to use and or didnt work for you?

I say this also, cause every single editor ive talked to in person (not on forums like this), yes every single one scoffs at the idea of using it, and even where i work, when the mention of it comes up, when our creative directors try to plan budgets for next year, etc theey are met with groans and grumbles. Just explaining the general vibe out here in LA LA land. No one wants to use it, or is taking it eriously.

I would personally reccomend no one spend there money on it YET, seeing as theyve announced the plans for update next year, why not hold on to your money for 6 months and see if then it'll do what we need.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:39:21 pm

[Bill Davis] "Didn't the guy from ABC Sports pop up here and say that the PROS working in the big network trucks initially were grumpy, but when they noticed how the database stuff could make their lives a LOT easier, they all started changing their tune and embracing what the new approach does really well?"

The way FCP X has been re-imagined seems to dovetail with this post about Avid and the future of media (by this I mean all the stuff we shoot and edit and have to store somewhere).

Many of us will have access to so much media from so many projects that something had to change. 2011 has been a helluva year.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:48:00 pm

I hate to tell you, but however it was that wrote the "mediaball" article you pointed too is an illiterate dunce. If his understanding of media content is no better than his misunderstanding of "Moneyball" than I don't think his ideas should carry much weight.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 19, 2011 at 1:44:52 am

[Herb Sevush] "I hate to tell you, but however it was that wrote the "mediaball" article you pointed too is an illiterate dunce. If his understanding of media content is no better than his misunderstanding of "Moneyball" than I don't think his ideas should carry much weight.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions"

Herb,

I'm trying to understand your post.

But I can't find a reference to anyone mentioning "mediaball" or "moneyball" or anything similar in the posts above.

Am I missing something?

And who's the "dunce" involved?

Something has clearly angered you, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take your comment seriously, but without context I'm baffled.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:12:19 am

If you click on the word "post" in Martin's comments it takes you to this link:

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/6549/playing-mediaball

where someone is blathering on about changes in the world of media and trying to make an analogy with the book Moneyball, only he either never read it or is too thick to have understood it. As ornery as I can be on this forum , it is nothing to how tilted I can get when discussing baseball, where I don't suffer fools at all.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:24:41 am

[Herb Sevush] "If you click on the word "post" in Martin's comments it takes you to this link: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/6549/playing-mediaball where someone is blathering on about changes in the world of media and trying to make an analogy with the book Moneyball, only he either never read it or is too thick to have understood it."

Wow. I hadn't seen that post, either. Quite a stretch, eh?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 19, 2011 at 3:53:44 am

[Herb Sevush] "where someone is blathering on about changes in the world of media and trying to make an analogy with the book Moneyball, only he either never read it or is too thick to have understood it. As ornery as I can be on this forum , it is nothing to how tilted I can get when discussing baseball, where I don't suffer fools at all."

Here, go tell him:

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid/archive/2011/11/16/enterprise-media-ma...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 20, 2011 at 1:44:59 am

Okay, now I get the context.

Herb, I'm interested in how you see it.

This guy seems to be saying that in our industry, leveraging content for additional use (I guess kinda the equivalent of business metrics that focus on generating "incremental sales" in retailing.) is a big potential profit driver that should be taken very seriously.

Are you saying that this *isn't* the case in media production, that it "shouldn't" be - or maybe that a video asset is something essentially different from any other type of business asset?

This has clearly put a thorn in your side.

I'm honestly interested in your view.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 3:28:06 am

"This guy seems to be saying that in our industry, leveraging content for additional use (I guess kinda the equivalent of business metrics that focus on generating "incremental sales" in retailing.) is a big potential profit driver that should be taken very seriously.

Are you saying that this *isn't* the case in media production, that it "shouldn't" be - or maybe that a video asset is something essentially different from any other type of business asset?"

My rant had nothing to do with his opinion about media, it had to do with his bizarre analogy to the book Moneyball. Every last statement he made about the book is totally wrong, bizarrely so.

It seems to me if your going to try making analogies to a book it would help if you A) read it, and then B) understood it. If you can't be bothered with those two little items, then I don't think I'm going to care too much about your opinions on media.

I'm more than happy to point out his lapses on a line by line basis, but I figured you just wanted to understand what pissed me off. Stupidity mostly.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 20, 2011 at 5:03:31 am

Fair enough, Herb.

I haven't read the book so I'm not qualified to comment.

Did enjoy the movie, modestly. So that's my only reference point.

Thanks for the time to respond.

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Nov 20, 2011 at 1:35:14 pm

Well take his analogy out (it's baseball, so I sort of flew over that part of it). Does his post on the future of media make sense?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 20, 2011 at 2:45:38 pm

"Well take his analogy out (it's baseball, so I sort of flew over that part of it). Does his post on the future of media make sense?"

Because it was baseball I couldn't get past the analogy, I sort of flew over the rest of it.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:28:43 pm

This is like deja vu from FCPX's first round beta.

I think FCPX team ought to give their testers a healthy dose of beta blockers. Maybe they'll quiet down and get some work done this time around.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:35:03 pm

[Daniel Frome] "I think FCPX team ought to give their testers a healthy dose of beta blockers. Maybe they'll quiet down and get some work done this time around."

(I assume from your post that you understand the development process deeply enough to prescribe heart meds for them ; )

So what insights into software development can you provide us about why the X dev team is so "inefficient" about this?

Or would you prefer that the moment they get a feature "rough-coded", they should just distribute it to everyone and let the chips fall?

The one CLEAR message from this thread is that the "first quarter" update is firmly in its beta test cycle.

Good.

That''s what we all want, isn't it?

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:38:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "he's very happy with the way Multicam is being implement, broadcast monitor is good, there's other good stuff coming and he'll be moving his facility to . . .

FCPX on that release."

Thats great still doesn't change the fact the X-FCP was created for the ipad iOS am i the only one who sees were this is going? I mean cloud computing the whole interface was designed to work on the iPAD. I digress... Thats good news but ill wait until its really ready these add ons seems like a mundane effort to keep the 5% happy...I mean a year is a long time...did he say anything about AJA or Balckmagic compatibly?

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:46:52 pm

[Greg Burke] "did he say anything about AJA or Balckmagic compatibly?"

Someone from AJA was there although not presenting. I did button hook him though. Claimed AJA tape capture input to FCPX directly but I didn't have time to get more details from him.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]