FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx day 1 vs MC 6 day 1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
FCPx day 1 vs MC 6 day 1
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:07:08 pm

I thought I would share some of my intial thoughts on Media Composer day 1 vs FCPx day one. Know this is not a comprensive review or anything like that (I am a Super Avid Beginner) but today feels a quite a bit different from FCPx day 1.
Downloaded the trial version of MC this morning installed it on a mac running Snow Leopard wam bam its up and running. Then I went to Black magic downloaded there latest driver for my Multibridge Io , and again WAM BAM my monitors were working, no needing to configure anything I didn’t even I to select which format the BM should be viewing (like in fcp7 with the drop down menu) even if I switch the resolution mid project the BM follows no problem. I like this a lot. Super simple. I also feel like the Multicamera editing is far easier to set up and use then the FCP7 version, and hey it works day one of the software I don’t have to wait for them to re-engineer it.  All in all I like the feeling of using this product. While I’m not Avid expert I feel like I can cut the video the way I want to not the way the NLE wants me to. This is a big deal. Maybe because of Avid being a bit more open about what MC 6 was going to be, but I have totally felt like I knew what I was getting.
Now contrast this with my confusing day 1 with FCPx granted I went to the NAB supermeet and I was following clostly what was happing, but when I open FCPx for the first time it was like how the heck I am going to do this or do that, or this doesn’t do that right. The whole new editing paradigm was throwing me for quite a loop and man was I frustrated. So far in MC6 its more like yep this is more what I want. Very little frustrations and by little I mean NONE.
Being a beginner at MC and being forced to be a beginner at FCP I knew I would have to learn something new. I am quite happy with my MC Choice and I think there will be many more like me out there. Now I know FCPx will continue to add features and get better and I will continue to keep my eye on the product. For an academic institution I feel like we have made the right choice.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Bryan Keith
Re: FCPx day 1 vs MC 6 day 1
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:25:32 pm

I switched recently too with no regrets.

Good to hear the upgrade is working well for you. How did you download the trial? I was just on the site and it said the 6.0 trial is not available. Only 5.5.

Bryan Keith
http://www.happylandstudio.com

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:30:39 pm

Just went to avid website went to MC 6 and clicked on the trial link. Had no problems

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Bryan Keith
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:56:23 pm

Must have been a cache memory thing. Cleared it out and then I was able to see it. Downloading now. Cool.

Bryan Keith
http://www.happylandstudio.com

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:50:13 pm

Yes I had a little giggle seeing everyone rush off to PRem Pro, and having come from that to FCP I didn't want to go back to that nightmare.
I researched and saw what was on the horizon with Avid and I KNOW they keep their promoses; seeing as they ONLY deal in post production solutions.
We have 5 FCP bays and one PC Prem Pro bay; all with Blackmagic Multibridges. Over the next few months they are ALL going Avid MC6.
One Mac is already up and running and what a pleasure it is.
My clients are saying "Avid? ... really, ... wow thats a big step forward!" But in reality, the pricepoint is pretty much the same isn't it? Just a 'better' name.
I see in six months most of the FCP > PPro convertee's will go > Avid.
So now what really is the future for FCP X

Not Sam Cole
(an 'ex' FCP user)
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:54:02 am

[Sam Cole] "I researched and saw what was on the horizon with Avid and I KNOW they keep their promoses; seeing as they ONLY deal in post production solutions."

If you hopped in a time machine and went back ten years or so to declare to a roomful of Avid editors that Avid keeps their promises, you would have been greeted with clenched jaws and icy stares.

To Avid's credit, they have recognized that they let their customers* down and worked very hard to make it right. I took advantage of the cross-grade offer, and I was really impressed by how Avid had improved since the last time I drove one (way back on Meridien hardware, followed by a brief dalliance on Xpress Pro). I am looking forward to upgrading to MC6.

* Here, I speak of Media Composer users. A lot of Symphony and DS editors are still less satisfied.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:26:20 am

[Walter Soyka] "If you hopped in a time machine and went back ten years or so to declare to a roomful of Avid editors that Avid keeps their promises, you would have been greeted with clenched jaws and icy stares."

Ain't that the truth!

[Walter Soyka] "I took advantage of the cross-grade offer, and I was really impressed by how Avid had improved since the last time I drove one "

And, of course, that's the truth, too. MC 3 was a major improvement, and then it just got better and better.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:06:14 am

Its future is on the iPad.....

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Luke Hale
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:51:36 pm

I am having the opposite experience with FCPX, I jumped in all the way and it seems like every day I am finding new things that it cant do. I keep telling myself that learning a new language is never easy. I look forward to finishing my internship and getting back to BYU-I to start into MC.

Luke Hale
Producer/Editor BYU-I and Department of Energy
opticalsmarts.com (Just for fun)

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:12:50 pm

with all that said, MC 6isfar from perfect as expected from .0 release. Ive already ran into a show stopping bug. The main difference is ive had diret conversation with tech support and theyve assured me the devs are working on it for a patch. Something youd never get from any apple product is the truth and a roadmap.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:56:56 am

[Mike Jeffs]"I feel like I can cut the video the way I want to not the way the NLE wants me to."

Of course you cut video the way MC wants you to. It's not like you can all of a sudden edit with a node-based paradigm inside MC6. It just so happens that the way you learned to edit (on FCP I presume) is the same basic method that MC6 employs which is why you find it comforting in comparison to FCPX.

I'm glad you like MC6. I haven't tried it yet, but Media Composer is a very good NLE in general. I've liked what I've seen in general from marketing materials and demos, but it does seem pretty buggy so I may wait a bit before trying out the trial. It crashed or reacted badly a couple of times in demos (one by an Avid employee).

BTW, I hope you realize that MC6 is NOT qualified to run on Snow Leopard. That's not to say you can't, but it may be far more unstable than running it on Lion.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:24:46 pm

Something very discomforting with MC6 is the messy and partially ugly UI. Aliaised text in 2011? How can they even accomplish that on MacOSX? Moving UI elements around is always quite laggy / stuttery. Why oh why…

Can one send bug-reports / feature requests somewhere to AVID?

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]