<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
For Herb Sevush (and other 5D users)
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:37:40 pm

http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=456

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: For Herb Sevush (and other 5D users)
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:49:36 pm

We GH2 owners need no such silly devices (he said snobbily).

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Nov 16, 2011 at 6:21:05 pm

You can still see quite a lot on the first test ? Kind of had to tell with the vid compression and all.

It is pretty good though

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:04:02 pm

Very cool. I hope this becomes widely adopted so I stop seeing badly moiréd clips crossing my desk.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:36:25 pm

Thanks Jeremy, very nice, though I'm hardly the most serious 5D user out there. Generally when I'm using the 5D it's to take a close up of a roast chicken with gravy, or a pasta primavera, so I don't run into that many moire problems.

Also, wouldn't it have been nice for Canon to solve this problem for their users - oh I forgot, their too busy getting into the pro video game at 20K. Don't get me started.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:39:40 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Also, wouldn't it have been nice for Canon to solve this problem for their users - oh I forgot, their too busy getting into the pro video game at 20K. Don't get me started"

Ha!

I guess third party support isn't that bad after all if it helps solve problems, eh?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:51:53 pm

It looks interesting and I hope they'll make one for the 7D and 60D as well. But there are some drawbacks. I mentioned it to a DP I work with and he said this was a deal breaker for him:

from the Mosaic Engineering website:
"Zoom lenses can be used, but do not track focus while zooming. Another result is that, while zoom lenses can be used with the filter, they must be considered “variable prime lenses”, since focus tracking while zooming is not possible when the VAF-5D2 filter is installed."

Still, I think it has a lot of potential.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:23:15 pm

It will be interesting to see how Canon handles the moire issue in the new "still with video" camera they pre-announced alongside the 300. I think I recall them noting that they're incorporating some of the technology from the 300 into that.

We'll see.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Nov 18, 2011 at 8:10:00 pm

Thanks for posting the link to our blog post, Jeremy. I'm in no way a paid endorser of this product (I paid for it full up with 2-day shipping!), but I cannot stress the value of how well it works.

I hear often (like in one of the posts in this thread) that a certain limitation of its use (like keeping focus on a zoom-through) is a "deal breaker" to some. I like to think of the VAF-5D2 as an optical filter you'd put at the end of your lens. Just because you can't use a circular polarizer on every shot, does that make it's a deal breaker? Or an ND grad filter? That a deal breaker too? I've got many Panavision-sized mattebox filters that do one specific task that cost as much or more as the VAF-5D2, and are hardly used on a production-to-production basis. The VAF-5D2 takes seconds to remove, and even quicker to install. So why not just use it on the shots that are best suited for it? Personally, I'll see using this device with about 90% of my shooting. Quite honestly, I can't see owning a 5D Mk II without one. It's now as much a part of my rigging as my Singh Ray Vari ND (not always used, but wouldn't leave home without it).

To the one comment on possibly still seeing some aliasing on the second test, I can't stress enough to view it at full 1080 HD. And I have to say, on our CRT/LED monitors at ProRes encoding, the image is clean. I dare say any traditional video camera at 1080 HD be any cleaner at that alias test stress level?

Thanks!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 18, 2011 at 8:16:59 pm

[Marco Solorio] "(I paid for it full up with 2-day shipping!)"

Heh heh. Love it.

[Marco Solorio] " I dare say any traditional video camera at 1080 HD be any cleaner at that alias test stress level?"

DO you have any idea if they are planning one for the 7D? We surely could have used one yesterday.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Nov 18, 2011 at 8:24:50 pm

LOL, I thought the 2-day shipping was a good proof-of-point!

Unfortunately I'm not in the know with this particular product. So I don't know what the road map is with the 7D. We'd love one for our 7D as well! They'd make a killing on that. I can't imagine R&D would be anything huge since the groundwork has been made on the larger sized 5D product. My guess? Maybe a couple of months or so? But only a guess. They'd be fools to not release a 7D version... easy money!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]