FCP X Colour Correction Pics?
on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:04:25 pm

Leaked pics?

I suppose you'd want to look quickly.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: FCP X Colour Correction Pics?
on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:50:36 pm

Looks like there's quite a bit of functionality there -- and it's very interesting to see that they are re-imagining the color correction interface as they have the editorial interface. That rectangular re-interpretation of color wheels might take a bit of getting used to. I'll be curious to see if they support control surfaces with this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:03:51 am

Sky's not falling so fast now.

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:41:15 am

The sky was never falling, it was simply being reset to a higher bar. What is falling are small pieces of FCP 7, Premiere and Avid DNA. From the look at the leaked photos those falling pieces may soon start to grow in size.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:23:47 am

A bit of getting used to yes. If one can continue to add points between what looks to be the Shadows, Midtones & Highlights markers. Like the Hue, Saturation & Luma Curves in Apple Color, this can be very powerful color tool inside FCP.
Thanks for the post. Looking forward to the release.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:47:51 am

[Victor Perez] "Like the Hue, Saturation & Luma Curves in Apple Color, this can be very powerful color tool inside FCP."

Agreed -- but this just looks to me like a new layout for standard color wheel controls. The secondary curves in Color are based on hue and controlled with splines, but I can't see anything here that suggests this is how the new controls work.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:41:08 am

Note that on the top bar it says Final Cut Pro so this must be built in to FCPX rather than a separate app.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/12/more-final-cut-pro-x-screenshots-leak-a...

It might be easier to see all the pics here until Apple ices the distributorl
http://twitpic.com/search#q=%23colorgraders&type=mixed&page=1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:04:34 am

Looking carefully at the top menu bar I see someone is running ScreenFlow recording. Someone was making tutorials apparently.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:53:43 am

[Craig Seeman] "Looking carefully at the top menu bar I see someone is running ScreenFlow recording. Someone was making tutorials apparently."

If you look very carefully, you'll see who.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:14:26 am

[Walter Soyka] "If you look very carefully, you'll see who."

Upper left in the Event Library there's an apparent drive labeled
Ripple Production

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:43:12 am

Here's another link, easy to scroll and compare:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/12/more_alleged_screenshots_of_f...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:40:03 am

Just dangling bacon in front of starving children. Argh! I can't way to start working with this, learning it's secrets, planning how to efficiently organize projects for it, etc. Want!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:44:00 am

Every few days a new leak is sprouted showing another key feature.
Does this mean Audio is next?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:50:02 am

Looks like the new color balnce tools will probably misbehave with traditional control surfaces, being a multi point curve (though 3-way can still exist as a filter).

However... This tool looks perfect for an iPad app control surface :)

So... Are we back to assume color is R.I.P?

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:17:12 am

I think this does mean that COlor is RIP.

They are showing primaries, secodaries, davinci style power windows and a slew of CC tools. It looks like FCP's COLOR room, within the application itself.

I did predict this a while back, that they would eliminate SEND TO commands and go with ROOM strcutures within the app itself.

I think there will be:

An editing room.
An Graphics room.
An Color Room
An Audio room

One set of media for everything.

They will keep the functionality of being able to (VIA XML) go to any app you want (including color) but with 64 bit processing and maybe (32 bit float in FCP, and unlimited secondaries), why would you want to go to Color. I hope they have built in a pretty wicked tracker into that color corrector.

They are responding to the increasing need for the 'editor" to be the "athour" of their work.

The next generation of editors will have an expanded skill set and this software will speak to the desire to do things from one application with one set of media, to eliminate or reduce the need for round tripping. .

I think this is all fantastic. Even the interface looks great. I don't care if it looks like imovie. I don't need it to be complex to be professional, I just need it to make the task of pulling images and media from various sources into a timeline which becomes a film. mY software is not the professional, I am. I'm not that attached to software tools, I just have preferences.

I think that Color and soundtrack will be EOL and the "ROOMS" structure within the one app will be FAR more powerful than the suite is now. Motion might stay as it's own app, but with better round tripping support.

People will still use AE, DAVINCI and a host of other specialized apps but Apple have obviously created a very powerful "MEDIA AUTHORING TOOL" not just a piece of editing only software.

I can't wait for this to arrive.

Apple invented the suite of apps and it took ten years for Adobe to catch up.
Now they have invented the next great idea in post.
There will be embracers and rejectors.
What type of person do you want to be?

David

Why not do it today?

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:06:13 am

I will definitely be an embracer.

I think there's not a lot to complain at this point. All the so called "Hi-end" pros that are complaining are just afraid of competition and afraid that the little man will now have the same tools. So the "hi-end" people will maybe switch to Avid (now that they can because Avid HAD to bring their prices down because of Apple) and try to spread rumors that FCP is no longer professional so they can differentiate themselves from the "little-man". They will spit on the same plate they ate not long ago when they couldn't afford Avid and FCP offered them an option even when all the Avid guys were saying FCP wasn't professional. Fear is a bitch.

But it will not last long. Once FCPX is out is will take the market by storm again and the naysayers will have to adjust and so will Avid and history will repeat itself.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:57:03 am

[Adam Claude Jones] "All the so called "Hi-end" pros that are complaining"

agreed...

there just isn't that much real high-end work done as people on these boards often suggest.

most of post production work done worldwide is either for web, private distribution or TV, its shot on XDCAM, P2, DSLR, AVCHD and for the luckier few, Prores (and probably a few other formats).
in most cases footage is shot 8 bits 4:2:0, or 8 bits 4:2:2, and in most cases compressed.

that is not high-end. and if FCPX takes good care of all of these formats... better, faster and smoother than FCP7 does today. we should all be very happy.

whoever think they do high-end using FCP7 are in most cases deluding themselves.
its not simple, neither cheep to run real high-end stuff on current FCP.
10 bits and higher, 4:4:4 or uncompressed are complicated to color manage, monitor, and keep color info intact within FCP
and that's before overall stability of system and software
(unless you work with Prores 4x4, but that will probably work in FCPX too)

there are other, better tools for the smaller percentage of high-end work. and especially there are operators, and professionals who know what to do, and how to do it with these tools.

FCP was never really a high-end tool... and its ok like that

just by being 64 bit, and having full color management FCPX is already more high-end than FCP7 ever was.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:31:57 am

[Hector berrebi] "10 bits and higher, 4:4:4 or uncompressed are complicated to color manage, monitor, and keep color info intact within FCP ... just by being 64 bit, and having full color management FCPX is already more high-end than FCP7 ever was."

I absolutely agree with this. Color management and floating-point processing have been long, long overdue. I'd add that these are finishing features, though, and all the high-end workflows you referred to start in offline, where FCP has been a contender.

FCP could never have been considered a proper finishing tool before. I'm very curious to see if FCPX's new feature set will change this. Hopefully Apple will also get color and gamma handling straightened out in QuickTime in future releases, too, so that QuickTime can be relied on across an entire pipeline.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:45:26 am

[Walter Soyka] " I'd add that these are finishing features, though, and all the high-end workflows you referred to start in offline, where FCP has been a contender."

If FCPX can't do proper offline it will be very bad... I don't even consider it a possibility... Not before I see it.
I was only referring to people's issues with "high end" :)

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:54:16 am

In order for FCP X to be really make an impact in editorial it needed a huge overhaul in trimming, where I always felt it was weak and forced a different style than editing with AVID (which was a very fast trimmer.

FCP is fast for breaking down the marble block but not as good at the detailed edits as AVID (was, and I mean was).

I think the magnetic timeline and the trimming features I saw in the demo are what makes it very exciting as an editing application.

If they have reinvented trimming the way I think they have, like being able to see either side of an edit, then we are talking about a VERY fast offline editorial tool.

To me, that is the kind of "new" i want to see.

Source/Record windows are dead to me, it represents linear thinking in a non linear spacious environment.

David

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:30:07 pm

Apple invented the suite of apps and it took ten years for Adobe to catch up.
Now they have invented the next great idea in post.

Source/Record windows are dead to me, it represents linear thinking in a non linear spacious environment.

Looks like more people should look at Autodesk Smoke. It has had integrated tools and a single viewer interface for years.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:49:16 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "Looks like more people should look at Autodesk Smoke. It has had integrated tools and a single viewer interface for years."

:) SMOKE has been my new escape plan for a while ...

I really like what it has become in past years, and it trully earns its "high-end" badge.
Price is still a turn-off so are requirements (at least when comparing to the others)

But I'm definitely looking in to it more and more

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:01:02 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "Looks like more people should look at Autodesk Smoke. It has had integrated tools and a single viewer interface for years."

Brian, are you suggesting Smoke for creative editorial as well as finishing?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:24:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "rian, are you suggesting Smoke for creative editorial as well as finishing?"

We have 2 Smokes at WTHR-TV. We do anything from :10 spots to 1 hr. shows. We edit everything from scratch on them. We do the ditorial and the finishing at the same time. And if a change is needed, it's easy, because it's all in the box.

Smoke is still a bit pricey... but it's a solid program, with unmatched quality.

Here is my latest reel, a bit graphic heavy.. but that's how our work and style has developed. All in Smoke, except for the 3D [13] logo.

Return to posts index

Jose Lomeña
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:19:19 pm

Do you mix audio into Smoke?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:16:18 pm

[Jose Lomeña] "Do you mix audio into Smoke?"
Yes... is it as great as a dedicated program? No.

Return to posts index

Jose Lomeña
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:38:38 pm

Brian, I don't know nothing about smoke, but can you use audio filters or control surface for audio mixing with smoke?. For me this is basic. FCP7 is fantastic for audio mixing if you know what you are doing. Maybe FCPX is better... with visual plugins...

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:29:54 pm

First, Smoke has Source/Record layout too if you want it.
Second, Insert/Overwrite is a mode in Smoke. Well it is a mode in almost every other editor but that's just shows how with all the fuss we make online we still would settle for mediocre and outright stupid interface.

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:19:28 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "First, Smoke has Source/Record layout too if you want it."
It was only recently added to help ease the transistion from FCP and Premiere and Avid users. I personally never use it.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:39:00 pm

[David Battistella] "
FCP is fast for breaking down the marble block but not as good at the detailed edits as AVID (was, and I mean was). "

In my opinion, the only true advantages Avid trim tools have over FCP are:
better play-loop options.
avid stops at left of cuts, and trims and sees the left side of the cut (I hope version X will finally learn this complex maneuver) .
and Avid behaves logically when trimming two sides that are not on the same track (FCP shows black on one side...).

There obviously are other differences, but I don't think they are crucial (like 4 screen display ...)

Beside these ,on current FCP, using a good keyboard layout and the trim tool, I am just as fast as I am on Avid. I even think apple added a few features to trim that Avid should look at adopting (multiple frame trim for one)

I am curious... What avid trim options do you lack in FCP?

hector

Hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:26:40 pm

Seems like a facility design based on FCP X, Resolve, Pro Tools (or Logic) and Smoke would be very good. FCP X for 80% of the work and all creative cutting. Smoke for the true finishing.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:21:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP X, Resolve, Pro Tools (or Logic) and Smoke would be very good. "

It's a pity Smoke has only three secondaries in the color corrector. Having to work Resolve into the workflow complicates it a bit.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:30:26 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Having to work Resolve into the workflow complicates it a bit."

You don't HAVE to. FCP X and Smoke can each do about 80-90% of the grading that most editors will want. But if you are a facility that seriously sells color grading with the talent to back it up, Resolve is the best option in this price tier. There are two caveats, though. 1. No Color X is released, and 2. the (eventual) Baselight plug-in for FCP X doesn't prove to be more powerful.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:44:25 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You don't HAVE to. FCP X and Smoke can each do about 80-90% of the grading that most editors will want. "

Fair, but you mentioned using FCPX, ProTools, Resolve, and Smoke together. Smoke's all-in-one value proposition is more compelling when it's the last tool in the chain.

If FCPX has unlimited secondaries and a good keyer, it could actually be a powerful grading option right out of the (digital) box. Maybe FCPX's compositing tools will also improve -- and given FCPX's floating-point linear processing, that may actually happen, though I think it would have a long, long way to go before it could match Smoke's compositing toolset.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:00:55 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Smoke's all-in-one value proposition is more compelling when it's the last tool in the chain.

Agreed. I was really thinking more about a multi-suite facility. In that case, a variety of special-purpose and general-purpose tools makes the most sense.

As far as FCP X as the primary grading tool - or even Smoke for that matter - the issue is the grading workflow. The actual toolset might be comparable to Color, but the workflow isn't. Not enough info to know yet, but that's why one might still want Resolve in the overall mix.

Same for Pro Tools. Plus you've got to remember marketing appeal. Pro Tools, Resolve and Smoke still bring a name recognition that FCP doesn't have and FCP X won't have either for many clients, no matter how good.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:17:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "It's a pity Smoke has only three secondaries in the color corrector. Having to work Resolve into the workflow complicates it a bit."

If you use the Modular Keyer, you can work with unlimited Secondaries.
You just have to know how.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:53:51 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "If you use the Modular Keyer, you can work with unlimited Secondaries. You just have to know how."

I stand corrected -- and thank you for clarifying. I'm still learning and I haven't even touched the Modular Keyer yet. I am excited to get into it now!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 1:44:26 pm

[Hector berrebi] "I am curious... What avid trim options do you lack in FCP?"

I have always found going in and out of trim mode in FCP a bit, well, Clunky.

I liked the four image trim in AVID, something FCP never really had.

I'm as fast in FCP and I prefer it now because it has SO many advantages and the image quality is better.

The scrubbing tool is better in AVID as well.

David

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 2:32:41 pm

[David Battistella] "
I have always found going in and out of trim mode in FCP a bit, well, Clunky.

I liked the four image trim in AVID, something FCP never really had.

I'm as fast in FCP and I prefer it now because it has SO many advantages and the image quality is better.

The scrubbing tool is better in AVID as well.
"

Double clicking a cut is ok... It's the way you easily lose the tool by clicking anywhere that aggravates...

:) people do like the 4 image display...

actually, the scrub tool in avid kind of got worse with recent versions... (except for the strange but useful multiple frame scrub) and if you saw the FCPX presentation, they showed AMAZING audio scrub that even got the crowd to cheer ...

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:46:48 pm

I edited on Media Composer from 1989 to 2001 and while I think FCP7 is my NLE of choice, MC in 2001 was better at trimming than FCP7 in 2011. Apple never got trimming right for reasons others have already mentioned.

While there may no longer be a viewer, I still want a "2-Up" so I can see both in and out points while I trim. In FCP7 it was poorly implemented in the timeline. The 2-Up was two small and only visible when you mouse trimmed (yuck!).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:42:13 pm

[David Battistella] "They are showing primaries, secodaries, davinci style power windows and a slew of CC tools. It looks like FCP's COLOR room, within the application itself. "

Just an unanswered question but Tracking is important in color grading so I'd hope that exists, rather than just key framing, in FCPX. While there's no indication it exists, it might so I'm hoping.

Also, for many, a control surface is a must for fast color correcting especially if that's the last stage in a long form production. That's usually color wheel based.

I love what I'm seeing but it looks more like Colorista II/Magic Bullet rather than a front end for control surface color grading.

Of course the FCPX method may avoid the whole roundtrip method.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:35:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Also, for many, a control surface is a must for fast color correcting especially if that's the last stage in a long form production. That's usually color wheel based."

The switch from the color wheel to the color pad (for lack of a better term) might make it more approachable for non-colorists: I just want to make it less blue -- what do you mean I should make it more yellow?

Or maybe this color interface was designed with multi-touch in mind? Apple sells iPads, not trackballs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:53:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Or maybe this color interface was designed with multi-touch in mind? Apple sells iPads, not trackballs."

And given Apple sells its own hardware it may open the door for color grading controls on iPad . . . but it's all about the speed of workflow though. Screen touch interfaces aren't the most tactile. On the other hand many old CMX style editors wanted that dial to shuttle tape and bought ShuttlePros. I wonder how many are using those now. On the other third hand, I don't want to have to look at the iPad to see if I'm hitting the right spot. I want to keep my eyes on the monitor and generally having a thing to grab is easier.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:15:10 pm

[Craig Seeman] "it's all about the speed of workflow though. Screen touch interfaces aren't the most tactile"

I agree. That's why I used Color and now Resolve with a panel.

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes people question whether Apple is targeting professionals with this release, though. With all these features in the NLE, it's not unreasonable to question if Color will continue to exist with as a separate app. With this new visual representation of the color manipulators, it's not unreasonable to question if a professional control surface will work. It would be a big step down to lose the use of a panel for grading with Final Cut.

Just a couple weeks at most until we find out...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:36:33 pm

Interesting but there's Gradiest in the App Store
http://www.actfocused.com/
$80 and works with FirstLight.
I believe they mention other support in the works. Perhaps for FCPX color grading. It does look like a "wheel" solution and it's still not the same as a tactile controller.

[Walter Soyka] "I agree. That's why I used Color and now Resolve with a panel."

It may be that Apple feels it can't compere with Resolve without a significantly unprofitable R&D. It may be the same reasoning behind Shake's demise as well.

All this doesn't make FCPX less "Pro." It may be an acknowledgment that many pros are more likely to use specialized apps and Apple has not financial reason to compete with those apps.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:43:09 pm

[Walter Soyka] "With this new visual representation of the color manipulators, it's not unreasonable to question if a professional control surface will work. It would be a big step down to lose the use of a panel for grading with Final Cut."

3 wheels style tools can still exist as filters or 3rd party plugins within FCPX, and they could probably support control panels... so as long as its safe to assume that there will still be 3rd party plug-ins (and a sleek in app purchase system for plug-ins).

Baselight's FCP tool for one... does it support control surfaces?

if there is a vacuum, someone will write software to fill it. if color dies great new tools will compete to take its place.

I still give a chance to a new approach that involves multi-touch...

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:54:53 pm

[Hector berrebi] "if there is a vacuum, someone will write software to fill it. if color dies great new tools will compete to take its place."

This is already happening -- the pace of development of color and finishing systems is absolutely staggering.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:29:56 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Also, for many, a control surface is a must for fast color correcting especially if that's the last stage in a long form production. That's usually color wheel based."

I want to see an iPAD be the control surface. The technology is already there and it would be easy to have a surface that you could gesture with instead of rolling balls around and touching nobs with your fingers.

The sleek flat glass surface of a touch panel or an iPAD would be a great control surface with a keyboard nearby.

Many people are using a tablet and pen for this so a touch surface would be nice too.

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:40:05 pm

See this as a possible direction.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/2090

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:56:35 pm

[Craig Seeman] "See this as a possible direction.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/2090"

damn.... 80$... way overpriced in my opinion

tangent device makes one for free that works with color

http://www.tangentdevices.co.uk/products_vwave.asp

its fun to use with a lap top, or on small short projects
and i show it to my classes to emphasis the benefits of a color control panel. the part in the lecture where i pass the iPad around and people grade what's on the projector using it always brings out the WOWs

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:25:11 pm

Check out Graeme Natress's new Chromagic Fx Plug and iPad app for FCP 7 (yes, I know this is the FCPX forum but its an interesting development)
http://www.nattress.com/Chromagic/Chromagic.htm

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:14:08 pm

[David Battistella] "Apple invented the suite of apps and it took ten years for Adobe to catch up."

I'm not quibbling with your premise, but just for sake of accuracy, the Adobe Creative Suite (version 1) was launched late 2003. Apple's Production Suite (before Studio) was NAB 2004.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:25:49 pm

Thanks Oliver. I could have said, made a suite of apps popular. But I stand corrected.

David

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:30:11 pm

Odd thing about all this is that it's been 20 plus hours and those pics are still available. The Motion pics were pulled quickly and the Twitter poster's account was closed in that case. You'd think Apple would have had Twitter pull those pics at this point.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 13, 2011 at 7:02:19 pm

I think they will release it on the summer solstice. June 21. this is pre hype.

They just need to get the servers ready.

David

Return to posts index

Juan Morales
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:45:52 pm

Someone on this forum wrote:

"These are 100% genuine. Not that I've seen them (cough) ... but they are from Apple's own official training videos, all 2.4 gigs of them. They have been floating around the net for several weeks along with the full PDF manual."

Where is this manual? Anyone seen it? Can we get it too? :)

Return to posts index

Juan Morales
on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:15:35 pm

New screen grabs: background tasks window and Share menu with "Export to Apple Devices" options window.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:46:08 pm

I see Send To Compressor and Use Compressor Settings so we know Compressor is still around.
I like CNN iReport for the ENG person in all of us.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:35:34 pm

That would imply that Compressor is a separate app. Not part of the $300 FCPX perhaps.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:43:45 am

so compressor still around... and exports to DVD or blu-ray too...

and imports of iMovie projects and event libraries? ...
no sign of XML imports/exports yet
its probably hiding somewhere...

and it looks like the pre/post-roll options are still buried in settings...
heres one thing that didn't change

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:22:51 pm

[Hector berrebi] "no sign of XML imports/exports yet"

It does look very much from the pics as though this will be missing, along with OMF, AAF and EDL, for both import and export. Quite a big deal for a lot of us!

But hey, at least we can import from iMovie, so that's all right then ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Stephan Walfridsson
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:27:11 pm

Why didn't they just call it iMovie Pro...

(Running to take shelter as the sky falls....)

;)

Stephan

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:08:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "It does look very much from the pics as though this will be missing, along with OMF, AAF and EDL, for both import and export. Quite a big deal for a lot of us! "

couldn't all that be done importing under the "File" selection?

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:12:51 pm

[Geoff Dills] "couldn't all that be done importing under the "File" selection?"

I'd be pretty confident that the File option applies only to Video, Sound or Still Image files, as per current practice in most apps.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:31:11 pm

Bearing in mind that the lack of FCP XML import/export support is really at this stage only an "apparent" lack of FCP XML import/export support ... still, its is a bit disturbing. At NAB just a year ago, Apple's best effort was a presentation at the LAFCPUG Supermeet talking up the amazing 3rd party developer support it had going for it - and a whole heck of a lot of that support was dependent on the FCP XML interchange format. Got to wonder how FCP X will pass timelines to Resolve 8 etc if FCP XML goes bye bye. Then again, its all just late night blathering to me at this stage.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:37:34 pm

[Andy Mees] "Got to wonder how FCP X will pass timelines to Resolve 8"

You could always pass it back through iMovie - XML just about works there. ;-)

And hey, what's wrong with "late night blathering" all of a sudden? Isn't that what this thread is all about!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:34:49 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Andy Mees] "Got to wonder how FCP X will pass timelines to Resolve 8"

You could always pass it back through iMovie - XML just about works there. ;-)
"

Simon, is this an option? Has anyone tried to use iMovie’11 XML export to import to DaVinci Resolve 8?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:53:53 pm

[Rick Lang] "Has anyone tried to use iMovie’11 XML export to import to DaVinci Resolve 8?"

I'm afraid this was a joke!

You can indeed export XML out of iMovie, at least an XML that will work with the old FCP, and it works reasonably well. But in another bitter irony you can't get from FCPX to iMovie, even though you can of course go the other way!

So what I suggested is not actually possible - though it ought to be ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Alex Gollner
Now with BluRay references
on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:39:47 pm

Looks like Mort is avoiding Ripple Training specific images at http://twitpic.com/photos/MortGoldman2 just interesting UI elements - including the new Share menu...

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: Now with BluRay references
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:03:55 am

If iMove has XML export you would think FCPX would have it also along with import. But what do I know.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:22:15 am

Show detailed trimming feedback. Things that make me go hmmm.
http://twitpic.com/5b7fch/full

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:34:33 am

They moved the transition length into the prefs. That's not good.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 14, 2011 at 11:11:09 am

Hi
Why would the Window Menu have Final Cut Pro - ticked at the bottom?
http://twitpic.com/5ap5ch/full
(in the Show Video Scopes screenshot on page 3).

This is where the project title sits in Motion, so presumably some sort of multi-app/multi-room window switching is selectable here?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:26:01 am

Any of these images show RED r3d file integration?

Have not seen any r3d media. Heard them say "up to 4k, but not RED specifically.

David

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:51:34 am

[David Battistella] "Have not seen any r3d media. Heard them say "up to 4k, but not RED specifically."

considering that most 4K that's shot these days is R3D,

and the high sex appeal RED has,

and the extensive (and quite wonderful) Avid support for R3D...

it is very difficult for me to believe that it wasn't addressed.

didn't see P2 anywhere also... :)

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Stephan Walfridsson
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:55:21 am

The new Epic camera can do 5k... And will FCPx be able to handle HDRx?

Stephan

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 14, 2011 at 9:04:47 am

I do not think that the EPIC camera generates QT Proxies so hopefully FCP X reads the r3d file directly.

There would have to be some on the fly scaling to 4K or an HD timeline which is very GPU intensive.

I'm also thinking about AJA decklink, existing hardware with FCP-X.

We'll see.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]