FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: interesting info from new Kona driver release notes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
OT: interesting info from new Kona driver release notes
on Nov 8, 2011 at 5:08:25 am

"KONA and Io Express drivers are now "Thunderbolt-aware." This means that these AJA products may be hosted in a PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter chassis or an ExpressCard/34 to Thunderbolt adapter. Note: Since PCIe and ExpressCard/34 to Thunderbolt adapters are new to the market, AJA cannot guarantee compatibility with all 3rd-party adapters or products."

That is all.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: OT: interesting info from new Kona driver release notes
on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:07:38 pm

I wonder what's different about being in a PCIe box on Thunderbolt than being in a PCIe slot that the drivers must accommodate for? I had been under the impression that this would be plug and play.

Regardless, Thunderbolt scores another point for Smoke on an iMac.

Thanks for posting this, Jeremy.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:49:52 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I wonder what's different about being in a PCIe box on Thunderbolt than being in a PCIe slot that the drivers must accommodate for? I had been under the impression that this would be plug and play."

I can't imagine it would be that easy!!! If only it were that easy...

I'm sure there's some "protocol" translation issues, as well as bus speed.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:27:03 pm

So does this mean that we can see Thunderbolt cards to install in mac pros soon? If it can work with Express cards, I can't imagine that would be too far away.
We're getting our first imac/Thunderbolt edit system Friday. Kind of excited to put it through its paces.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:42:04 pm

[John Davidson] "So does this mean that we can see Thunderbolt cards to install in mac pros soon?"

No, this means you would take something like this for Express card:

http://sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

or something like this for PCIe (Sonnet has one coming, too):

http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp

and add those solutions to your thunderbolt equipped Mac.

Basically, it allows you to add Express/34 or PCIe cards to Thunderbolt enabled macs. A Kona can theoretically run on your iMac, for example. I have not seen any news about a Thunderbolt PCIe card anywhere, unfortunately. Something tells me there's a new Mac for that. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:17:38 pm

When we read about Apple's using Color Sync to control the calibration of color on computer monitors, one wonders if they plan to rely solely on this for their promise of broadcast monitoring in the next update. Is it paranoid to think they might not support third-party PCIe cards?'

Does this TB to PCIe driver development by AJA give us some assurance that the early 2012 update to FCPX will include support of third-party cards like the Kona 3?

- Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2011 at 8:26:32 pm

[Larry Asbell] " Is it paranoid to think they might not support third-party PCIe cards?'"

Paranoid? I don't know, take a look around, everyone is paranoid about the future becuase of the uncertainties of the present.

[Larry Asbell] "Does this TB to PCIe driver development by AJA give us some assurance that the early 2012 update to FCPX will include support of third-party cards like the Kona 3?"

If X goes a Thunderbolt only route (which I have no idea if it is or not) then yes, supposedly this would allow X to PCIe support. There's also the ioXT and similar devices that are Thunderbolt connected.

This next FCPX release will really tell us a whole lot, I believe.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]