FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have You Told Apple You Want A New Generation Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Have You Told Apple You Want A New Generation Mac Pro?
on Nov 4, 2011 at 2:53:21 pm

Perhaps everyone already has ... but, if you haven't ...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html

And if you have, well, tell them again.

Tell everyone you know (who cares) to tell them.

Now this post sounds like one of those, forward this on to everyone you know and good things will happen to you.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Have You Told Apple You Want A New Generation Mac Pro?
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:25:11 pm

Somehow I think Apple measures with dollars rather than feedback for decisions like this.

Unfortunately we don't know if Apple is considering an alternative to the MacPro but Apple tends to create new things based on where they understand the market to be going. If that's what they're doing they may be well on their way to the decision at this point. Either the new box is well under way or there's no new box at all.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:59:57 pm

If a new Mac Pro comes out, I'd give serious consideration to getting one.

If not, I'll just upgrade my desktop to some serious specs for native H.264 editing under Premiere CS5.5 (and CS6 whenever it comes out) under Windows 7x64.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:15:47 pm

are we allowed to say the words hackintosh?

I'd never buy one, and one person I don't know doesn't have a Hackintosh working rock solid for a year as a Smoke Nuke Adobe FCP station at home.

Rock Solid. You do have to know what you're doing at the outset apparently.

The bang for buck is mind bending though.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:27:30 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "are we allowed to say the words hackintosh?

I'd never buy one, and one person I don't know doesn't have a Hackintosh working rock solid for a year as a Smoke Nuke Adobe FCP station at home.

Rock Solid. You do have to know what you're doing at the outset apparently.

The bang for buck is mind bending though."

In this corner of earth I think I'm one of the few editor running FCP in a Mac.
30% cheaper than Macs and no problems to update software they say.
And apparently not set it difficult to set it up.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:43:07 pm

yeah - thats the thing - once its installed, if you've specced the hardware components correctly, its installed.
It updates directly as a native machine.

you man has been applying the software updates transparently.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:58:01 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Either the new box is well under way or there's no new box at all."

You are correct.

But my point is, if you are a Mac Pro user and you would like Apple to keep designing, building and supporting them, then perhaps you should let them know.

I did.

[Craig Seeman] "Apple measures with dollars rather than feedback"

Now you're speculating. Although, I think one could argue that you are probably more correct than not, given Apple's recent track record.

My guess is that if Apple was going to kill off the Mac Pro line they would have either done so already, or they are going to introduce something they feel will replace it. (emphasis on they) I think there is less of a chance that one day it simply disappears.

They ended the MacBook line with the introduction of the latest Air. I think you can say that MacBook users didn't loose features or performance. (or did they?)

There are rumors (as always) of new, redesigns coming next year. The iMac is one, the Mac Pro is not. (at least the last rumor I saw) Perhaps they intend to offer some higher end iMac that they feel will replace the Mac Pro?

Although it seems to me people (graphic artists and video editors) use a Mac Pro for; lots of cores, lots of memory, lots of storage (and storage choices), graphics card choices, and specialty I/O cards. All but cores being user upgradable. I'm not certain this need is going away any time soon. Whether you are a Mac or Windows user. In the computer industry, power and speed go up and costs come down. Yet we can't get enough.

So, it appears to me, reading what so many Mac Pro users are saying on so many forums, that they want more.

And of you do too, tell Apple.

It takes less time than reading my post, which is probably uninformative and misguided. (I'm sure someone else will do a better job describing my post that I just did)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:12:54 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "But my point is, if you are a Mac Pro user and you would like Apple to keep designing, building and supporting them, then perhaps you should let them know.

I did. "

So did I. I sent them what I'd expect in a base model. I don't expect it to look like a MacPro but it has to have a PCIe GPU slot for 16 lane card (possibly two) and up to at least 12 cores. If they cut back on PCIe slots it would have to have at least 3 maybe 4 Thunderbolt ports.

[Kevin Patrick] "Now you're speculating. Although, I think one could argue that you are probably more correct than not, given Apple's recent track record. "

I can't help but think that sales figures weigh heavily. Even that may not be enough. After all FCP Studio certainly sold well. Apple itself seems to be built on a speculative model although I don't doubt there's lots of research behind it.

[Kevin Patrick] "My guess is that if Apple was going to kill off the Mac Pro line they would have either done so already, or they are going to introduce something they feel will replace it."

I think so as well. It seems they're internal development may involve multiple prototypes and that's where we might have influence. If they're looking at a few variations and they see requests coming in that more closely match one variation over another it may impact their decision.

We know Apple's not adverse to pulling the plug on hardware so the fact that they haven't may mean they're looking at where to go and haven't decided. I don't doubt their relationship with Intel is playing a big role (for better or worse for either partner). Do we know anything about motherboards with both Thunderbolt and Xeon chips for example?

[Kevin Patrick] "Although it seems to me people (graphic artists and video editors) use a Mac Pro for; lots of cores, lots of memory, lots of storage (and storage choices), graphics card choices, and specialty I/O cards. All but cores being user upgradable. I'm not certain this need is going away any time soon."

Keep in mind that MacPros don't sell well compared to other Macs. That's why I think they're going to try to come up with a way to make a commodity item that retains power. I think Cores and GPU are critical. Thunderbolt can take care of a lot of the rest. I think since Apple is moving for more GPU dependency (like everyone else) there's going to be a strong GPU box but everything else is up in the air, my guess.

[Kevin Patrick] "So, it appears to me, reading what so many Mac Pro users are saying on so many forums, that they want more. "

We at COW and other higher end video sites are in a circle of MacPro users (and many in those circles don't even use it) so we may be "colored" by that. Sales of MacPros aren't that strong. Another issue is that we endusers often update them less frequently so repeat buys are less frequent then with laptops for example.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 5, 2011 at 1:27:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "MacPros don't sell well compared to other Macs"

I think this is another reason why I think they may not kill the Mac Pro.

It hasn't been updated since 2010?
Sales are probably the lowest, both in units and revenue.
There are many sources of rumors and speculation discussing the Mac Pro's demise.
Apple has been painfully pulling out of the pro video market.

If they killed the Mac Pro now, everyone would simply say, "See, I told you they'd do it." Right now would probably be the best time to simply kill it. (I can't believe I'm sitting here on my Mac Pro typing this)

Mac Pro users are like the fish in the blender. "Well, are you gonna push the button or not? You've turned on all the other blenders. What are you waiting for?"

Okay, that's too gruesome. How about this instead?

It's like knowing your team has not been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Then, when they finally are, you're not happy, but not surprised. It was fun while it lasted, time to move on.

Well, I don't want to move on.

Apple, please unplug our blender. (yuck)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:29:53 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "It hasn't been updated since 2010?
Sales are probably the lowest, both in units and revenue. "

MacPro sales don't get much of a sales boost when updated. The problem is the updates are usually just speed bumps.

Many people who go back to MacPro 2006 are still using them without a compelling reason to update. The turnover is low.

Growth is low because many will opt for the top iMac with two thunderbolt ports.

Thunderbolt is not a compelling reason to update because many MacPro users are using PCIe to connect to comparable peripherals.

Apple likes compelling people to buy new computers (which is good business sense). FCPX didn't do it to the extent they wanted (I believe). People who could, just upgraded their GPUs even though Apple didn't officially support the new GPU in the older box.

I do think the MacPro will be replaced though. A box with powerful CPU/GPU and Thunderbolt only would move people over time to keep compatible with Thunderbolt peripherals bought for their other Macs.

Thunderbolt has been compelling for the rest of the Mac line because MacMini, MacBookAir, MacBookPro, iMac are all now expandable with either one or two ports equal to PCIe 4X (and daisy chain so not limited to one device). That's a major improvement so people even with 2009/2010 Macs (not Mac Pros) may consider upgrading to 2011 versions get expandability.

A speed bumped MacPro may not be compelling. A new Thunderbolt Pro might be (MacThunderPro).

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:38:08 pm

I had sent emails to Cook, Ive and Schiller, and now sent the same thing to your link, thanks.

I think there's definitely need in the world for a Mac Pro, and think at least some of its sales decline is due to apple's lack of imagination and effort in upgrading it.

My hope is that Apple at least releases a new one with Thunderbolt.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:00:22 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "I had sent emails to Cook, Ive and Schiller"

I was just considering sending one to Cook. I didn't think of Ive and Schiller. Good idea.

It's got to be better than not doing it.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Nov 6, 2011 at 4:39:45 pm

"are we allowed to say the words hackintosh?

I'd never buy one, and one person I don't know doesn't have a Hackintosh working rock solid for a year as a Smoke Nuke Adobe FCP station at home."

I definitely don't have a Hackintosh humming away next to me - 'cos it's switched off at the moment. If you follow the tonymac86 iBoot Multibeast tutorial, they're easy to build, and run all the software. I usually load all the updates, but they now seem to be all about preparing me to move to Lion, which I don't plan to do.

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]