FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the chances?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sohrab Sandhu
What are the chances?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:06:44 pm

What are the chances that third party developers like Boris, Fxfactory, AJA etc. got on board after the 'sneak peek'. After all they would have approached apple after it became clear that new FCP was coming.

Maybe these guys have been working with Apple secretly eversince.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: What are the chances?
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:29:22 pm

In the past, manufacturers such as AJA, Matrox, and Blackmagic have most often, but not always, waited for the "release versions" of the new software before writing and releasing their own new drivers.

This is most likely because they don't want to do the job more than once. If they wait for a release version, they know they'll have to update their drivers many times as bugs get ironed out, but at least they'll be starting with the real software, and they know their version-1 drivers will be starting with something close. Often, when they jump the gun and create drivers based on beta software they are working with software that actually bears little resemblance to the finished product, so they are forced to rewrite from scratch.

It's possible that this time things are different, but most likely you'll be encountering a delay of days or weeks before working drivers will be released. Keep in mind, with both OS X Lion and FCP X coming out about the same time, this may serve to complicate the matter. On the other hand, if the new code for both pieces of software is radically modern and clean, it might make the job for developers easier. In fact, this has been rumored. So, it's another wait and see...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:39:28 pm

Manufacturers of cards have had the software for some time - don't forget there have been post-houses testing FCP X for months, it was mentioned in the sneak peek as far as I remember, and talked about by other industry bods as well.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't drivers at launch for X. Seriously.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:47:53 pm

[Ben Holmes] "I'd be very surprised if there aren't drivers at launch for X."

Don't be surprised if you're wrong, because as I stated above, it hasn't worked that way in the past.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:50:13 pm

I'll have an imaginary $10 on that...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:53:24 pm

You probably have some inside info someone leaked to you, so I'll save my imaginary $$$.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 10, 2011 at 7:48:10 pm

I think Ben is correct as well this time. I'm very good at reading body language when I talk to certain device makers.

If a developer doesn't have a poker face, does that violate the NDA? ;-)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2011 at 8:15:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think Ben is correct as well this time. I'm very good at reading body language when I talk to certain device makers. "

Just one more of those many times when I hope I'm wrong...

I was wrong once. I remember it well. It was back in the 80's as I recall.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 10, 2011 at 11:16:41 pm

At least at NAB time, Noise Industries (FxFactory) and Boris FX had no advanced info or copies of FCP X to test.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 11, 2011 at 12:11:23 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu] "Maybe these guys have been working with Apple secretly eversince."

I can't speak for Apple, but we (Adobe) work hand in hand with our hardware i/o partners and provide as much information as we possibly can as early as we can. If you take Apple's penchant for secrecy out of the equation, I'm sure they're working with their partners.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 11, 2011 at 4:22:43 pm

Historically AJA and Apple have worked very very closely together on any advance of Final Cut Pro and the Mac OS. There's been speculation in the past that the AJA Io HD was actually an Apple idea but they didn't want to build the hardware so they brought the idea to AJA to execute. The fact that AJA introduced it at an Apple FCP launch a few NABs ago lends credibility to that idea.

AJA always have their drivers ready to go the day the new FCP is launched, but they usually hold them for a day to a week just to ensure that the final release is the same as the last build they tested.

Plug-in developers from what I'm told rarely see the software until it's released, particularly when it's a brand new version like what's happening now. Maybe a few of the bigger ones like Boris and Red Giant might get an advance copy, but for the most part, they don't see the working software until you and I do.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]