FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Path

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony west
Which Path
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:36:14 pm

At the time when many of us started using FCP, Avid was the standard in the industry for Film and Television.

Many of us chose FCP over Avid anyway, mostly because we liked the way it worked over Avid and for me it also seemed like you got more bang for the buck.
(BTW people laughed at me for buying a mac back in 1996, but they aren't laughing now)

I knew when I picked FCP there were more TV stations in my town with Avid but I simply didn't care.
I liked FC better and for my independent client work I new it was going to get the job done.
(I also was thinking stations would catch on and pick FC in the future)

No Country For Old Men was the first feature film to win best picture and be cut entirely on a mac but that wasn't until 2007. Just a mere 4 years ago.

We could point at that film and say, "see, FC is the real deal" but lets keep it real. Many were using it before that film came out and liking it.

Being the standard in feature film was not the reason I got to FCP in the first place, because it wasn't then and really still isn't the standard in Hollywood now. It's not the reason I'm going with FCP X either.

It's the same as before.

I like it, it helps me do my job faster and I think it's going to be around for while.

If you started using FCP years ago you were already thinking outside of the box.

I'm just staying out there : )

Tony West

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Which Path
on Oct 31, 2011 at 4:26:19 pm

So basically you're saying that you're using FCPX because you 'like it better' and do not care about whatever the 'standard' is?

You know what - I hear a lot of laughable arguments on here as to why people should be using FCPX ... but your writeup is simple, honest, and to the point. Kudos.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:04:55 pm

Personally I don't consider anyone's opinions to be laughable here (except for Aindreas and DRW, but they're doing it intentionally).

I never really considered that anyone was trying to make a case as to why "people should be using" anything. I just accept that people are sharing their honest opinions based on personal experience.

It was fully considering both sides of the spirited debate that helped me make a decision and move forward.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:18:11 pm

Actually there are two different considerations. Freelancers need to be mindful of what facilities are using if they are to be employable. Even that has two variants. One is facilities are using it so I need to know it and the other is few facilities are using it and this gives me a good niche specialty skill since few freelances know it.

Then theres those who are running their own businesses whether one person shop or facility. In that case it's whether it can meet the needs of our current and/or our future client base and our capital expenditures.

For me, I like its advantages, I can work around most of the shortcomings, I believe many of those shortcomings will be addressed within the year. FCP7 remains a viable fallback if there's something I know FCPX can't handle.

Also I have a measure of the "curse factor" (expletives per function attempt) that I went through when I used FCP 1 (1.25 I think for me) after 11 years on Avid Media Composer compared to FCPX after 10 years on FCP. I don't think the curse factor is that much different and I do think Apple's expeditious updates will drop that much faster this time around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]