FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Vedholm
Workflow
on Oct 30, 2011 at 9:10:41 am

FCP7/FCS3 was a great tool. Too bad Apple thouhgt otherwise. It had the whole package and it was accepted as an industry standard. Haven't tried FCPX yet. Working as a freelancer I prefer to improve my skills using software to be found at larger production houses not just on my own workstation. One day FCPX might fulfill that.

For now I bought Avid MC and Adobe Production Premium, but which is better, when most of the time you need to finish your projects yourself and deliver your work as a file? Avid is indeed an industry standard, but if you take your project to other software e.g. AE, you kind of left Avid. Premiere is very integrated with AE and Photoshop, but it seems that Premiere is still considered a toy in the industry, even though AE and Photoshop are both looked upon as professional software.

Any thoughts on which workflow is the better replacement for FCS3, considering the thoughts about industry standards?

Rgds

Brian
Freelance editor, Denmark

Return to posts index

tony west
Re: Workflow
on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:08:28 am

What do the places have that you Freelance at?

Seems like that might factor in on the decision.

" Premiere is still considered a toy in the industry,"

Isn't that what people are saying about FCP X?

Tony West

Return to posts index

Brian Vedholm
on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:38:48 am

What do the places have that you Freelance at?

In Denmark everything is Avid or FCP7.

Isn't that what people are saying about FCP X?

Yes, that is what I hear people say. But that is also how I have heard Premiere described up until now (except for graphic designers who use Premiere together with AE).

But things are changing, I believe. Is Adobe taking over Apple's position as a professionel editing software? I would like to see that happen, since their Premium package semms so simular to FCS3. Or can Avid replace FCS3. If so, what software can be used together with Avid. And how about integration both ways. The way I know Avid, it is more of a stand alone system with a few plug-ins and more important for larger production houses - a server solution for multiple users.

I was hoping to hear your thoughts on a future workflow. Just trying to figure out the best replacement for FCS3 when being involved in the entire workflow yourself...

Brian

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:56:55 am

I would expect the higher end FCP houses to go back to Avid, medium level and independents should see more PPro uptake. Adobe are trying very hard, but there are much bigger pools of Avid editors out there than there are PPro editors.

Good time to be an Avid editor though!

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 30, 2011 at 4:36:43 pm

[Brian Vedholm] "I prefer to improve my skills using software to be found at larger production houses not just on my own workstation."

You just answered your own question. It's Avid. It's too early to tell how much of the post house industry Adobe might be able to ensnare because most the places depending on FCP are not switching right away. FCP7 has a couple more years of relevance on it (more for some, less for others). Those that need to update soon are most likely to go with Avid more out of sense of familiarity. Some places are even holding off to see what comes in the next update of FCPX (since Apple actively said that multicam and video out are to be included).

You can TRY to predict the future of post, but if you want to futureproof yourself, I'd learn both Premiere and FCPX and Avid. There's not a lot of difference between Avid, and Premiere if you come from an FCP background, so FCPX is the only one that might take a little getting used to.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]