FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatic Duck is FREEEEE!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
Automatic Duck is FREEEEE!!!
on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:23:30 pm

Big news from my friend Doug Blush in LA:
Yo, FCP brethren, behold the freeness that is now AutoDuck...I guess Adobe bought them out, so grab it while it's good!

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/download/index.html

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Automatic Duck is FREEEEE!!!
on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:43:34 pm

Get it while it's hot indeed.

From their email today:

"We are unable to provide support at the same level as we have over the years, but we didn't want these plug-ins to go away while they remain useful. So if you can make use of these plug-ins in your projects, enjoy!"

From the looks of it, Adobe did not buy Automatic Duck the company. They just bought (hired) Wes which effectively ends the company.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2011 at 11:52:37 pm

Just got the very email.

Craziness!

Free OMF export for fcpx.

Get it while it's hot, get it while it's buttered!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:04:53 pm

Hmm, does this mean we can go through and delete all the posts about how one has to spend more than the cost of the app for OMF?

My own hunch is that such "translator" apps (what I like to call them) days are numbered and it may well be why the Plates are part of Adobe now. I don't doubt we'll see "translations" built into the major apps. I suspect the Plates will be building the into/out off for all the Adobe apps. I think Adobe's goal is to have a meant to get anything into and out of any Adobe app to any other app (including FCPX).

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:39:54 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Hmm, does this mean we can go through and delete all the posts about how one has to spend more than the cost of the app for OMF?"

Craig,

You should probably take that up with the people who paid for Auto Duck between June and now.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:34:34 pm

Franz, many people get burned by moves like this. It's not exclusive to Automatic Duck. That is people buy something only to find a short time later the price drops or, more rarely, a paid product becomes free. In this case it's free probably because it's also EOL as I believe some have posted not to expect any further development.

Basically we have free OMF export of what I suspect is an EOL product . . . which I'm going to guess is going to be supplanted Apple's built in support or some other third party developer coming to the fore.

While one can't predict the future but I'm still thinking the Plates went to Adobe because Duck's long term viability in the market was looking less secure.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:54:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Franz, many people get burned by moves like this. It's not exclusive to Automatic Duck. That is people buy something only to find a short time later the price drops or, more rarely, a paid product becomes free."

Agreed. Agreed. And agreed.

What does this have to do with deleting previous discussion?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:01:09 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "What does this have to do with deleting previous discussion?"

Just a tongue in cheek comment. The real point is things change quickly in this industry. One day people bemoan a $500 solution that people feel Apple should have included. Next some people bemoan that the feature is a free download (especially those who paid for the $500 solution).

Problems get solved. New problems arise. In either case, OMF export is free for the time being.

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:17:42 pm

I haven't read any angry responses here from people who paid $500 for AD. Perhaps they are all getting s**tfaced at a local pub! It's disgusting what AD did, but c'est la vie for those who needed OMF in June.

For the next 30 days I will test drive FCPX for free and export to Pro Tools, courtesy of AD. This is what I've wanted to do since June, but lurked in the wings. Patience has its virtues.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 29, 2011 at 8:30:53 pm

[Lemur Hayop] " It's disgusting what AD did"

Huh? Apple asked them to do the software and gave them a private deal. They sold it at their usual plug-in price. Nothing out of line. Adobe made them an attractive offer and now they are offering that same application for free because of their new commitments to Adobe. How is that in any way disgusting?

Also remember that now they have new expertise with FCP X, which might benefit users who want to go between FCP X and AE and potentially Iridas down the road.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Oct 30, 2011 at 12:26:13 am

It's disgusting because AD should offer a rebate to people who paid big for PEFCP since June. Maybe the company is just waiting for the uprising. Then again, maybe nobody will complain.

Like I say...patience in this industry. Patience that things will turn around and come to fruition. Otherwise, have the company pay into obsolescence.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2011 at 5:16:35 am

Free OMF export is one down on my list. However if it gets broken on the next version of FCPX with no Duck support......

So on my list we still have output via proper card (Kona3 in my case).

I would still like a way to XML to Color but that will be solved by moving to daVinci 8.1 soonish.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:06:38 am

If only Apple had given away Shake after they EOL'd it... sigh... :-P

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:14:24 am

wow.. been wanting this to go from avid to color and both avid and fcp7 to AE for forever, stoked.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:25:52 am

More info:

Automatic Duck is now free! Go here to pick up the plug-ins: http://74.220.215.54/~automay5/

From Wes and Harry:

October 28, 2011

If you missed our mail last month you should check it out as it got a lot of people talking. Today we have a follow-up.

Our web site has relaunched* and while the overall look of the site is similar there is a dramatic difference in how we are distributing our plug-ins.

Starting today Pro Import AE, Pro Import FCP and Pro Export FCP (both versions, for FCP7 and FCPX) are available at no charge. You read this right. Free.

We are unable to provide support at the same level as we have over the years, but we didn't want these plug-ins to go away while they remain useful. So if you can make use of these plug-ins in your projects, enjoy!

Thank you to all of our users, working with you for the last 10 1/2 years was a truly wonderful experience.

- Wes and Harry

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Oct 29, 2011 at 3:32:24 am

YES YES YES! I will give FCPX a try! YES YES YES!!!! Pro Tools!!!

pity those who bought PEFCP for $500.....

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 29, 2011 at 3:46:59 am

Don't know if I'll use those plugins or not, but I love those guys.
That's really "thinking green".
My gratitude.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:07:52 am

Very welcome and unexpected news!

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:40:18 am

Will this very generous download allow me to export the audio from a project and import it into Logic Pro
via AAF or OMF?

Has anybody tried this yet?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 29, 2011 at 10:37:24 am

The good folks at Boris FX aren't going to appreciate this -- and I was just about to purchase Boris Transfer because I could no longer get Automatic Duck - this is a nice surprise

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:46:56 pm

'[Andy Field] " and I was just about to purchase Boris Transfer "

Just to be clear, these two competing plug-ins do not work identically and each has its own pros and cons. Aside from matching BCC parameters in Boris or Colorista parameters in AD, there are also differences in how files are linked. One difference is with RED files, where AD can relink to the R3D files. Another is going between FCP and Avid, where Boris seems to have an advantage in AMA workflows. It's great to have the Duck plug-ins free, but that doesn't necessarily mean you still won't want to buy others. Just an observation.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:05:11 pm

Actually I've gotten Auto Duck to work and reconnect complex XDCAM sequences in AVID -- (with a client's Autoduck license) have yet to be able to do that with the trial version of Boris Transfer - it will go as far as connecting AMA clips in a bin - but can not get it to connect to the sequence without reimporting all the material again - Autoduck didn't have that issue

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:33:00 pm

Yeah Auto Duck is a sweet idea, just wondered if there is a troubleshooting guide. Basically my OMF exports makes a mess of my audio clips positions. All audio goes to 1st frame of the video although the soundtrack (music) remains intact. No way I can get it mixed. Anyone having issues?

I have striped down my audio files from fx or equalization in will to make the omf as light as possible.

Let me know if you guys are having similar issues.

http://www.pedrodelafuente.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 31, 2011 at 5:50:32 pm

[Pedro de la Fuente] "Basically my OMF exports makes a mess of my audio clips positions. All audio goes to 1st frame of the video although the soundtrack (music) remains intact. No way I can get it mixed. Anyone having issues?"

I haven't yet had much of a chance to work out all the issues with PEFCP 5.0 but it does seem that it's not altogether reliable.

I haven't had your problem of clips being misplaced but I have noticed that detaching audio results in translation errors, and also that multi-track audio doesn't seem to get handled accurately either.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Automatic Duck is FREEEEE!!! But also a bit bust for FCPX ...
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:12:52 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I haven't had your problem of clips being misplaced but I have noticed that detaching audio results in translation errors, and also that multi-track audio doesn't seem to get handled accurately either."

Looking at this a bit more it does appear that detaching the audio will mess up the clip's source reference. Non-detached audio does appear to be fine, but detaching audio seems to make a complete mess of things - clip in and out durations and sequence position are correct but the source audio is from another place altogether.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been using AD successfully with FCPX - and what if any are the workarounds one needs to be aware of.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:33:10 pm

Ok, I have dedicated good part of my day trying to work around this issue. Auto duck was failing to place the audio clips correctly when I was exporting my project. Thing is, my project has many detached audio files as it is a Voice Over lead piece (meaning the audio is not contained in a video file). Also I have quite a few sound fx and a music bed. I tried to optimize my project by stripping all the audio adjustments and equalization I have done and left my project "naked" of any adjustments. Didnt work. Then I tried to replace all my video by gaps as I had some color correction and thought this could be the cause of my problems. Still no success. I tried using Project X27 to get the project into FCP7 as a work around. That way I could export an OMF...
It didnt work at first but by speaking to the guys that developed X27 (by the way they were incredibly helpful) we found out that if I lifted all my clips from all the secondary storylines I could then open the xml in FCP7. Thats not ideal as by doing that you loose all your cross fades but I have someone mixing the audio and that person would recreate the cross fades anyway.

Gregory (the guy at X27) said that the bug is on the way FCPX creates the xml. This is a bit worrying (although not confirmed) as one would expect that Apple new XML support would be ready to go.

I have tried to export an OMF using Auto Duck using the same (free from secondary storylines) project and by the html report document it seems to have worked (at least not all the clips start at 00:00:00). I cant confirm Auto Duck worked as I dont have an OMF compatible software such as Pro Tools on my machine.

Situation is not ideal but at least I have managed to create an OMF by which my sound team can work from.

I know this is a long email but perhaps it will be useful to people having the same issues I did.

All the best,
P

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:38:37 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences - it doesn't look as though many people have yet worked through the issues with Automatic Duck, at least from what I have read.

I would beware of trusting what the HTML file tells you about the export as it didn't seem to correlate very closely to what had actually happened in the few cases I have run.

For the record I have been using AAF rather than OMF but I will try afew more test cases to see if there are any advantages (fewer drawbacks) to one over the other.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:41:14 pm

Just wondering, what is the source of your files. Do they have tc?

Was AutoDuck updated to support 10.0.1 before moving to Adobe? Roles did change a few things as did the event and project structure.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:46:43 pm

I have ended up using Project X27 xml translator to open my project in FCP7 and then export an OMF. Just seemed more reliable this way. I find that Auto Duck might work with very simple projects. Like I said I couldnt confirm if it works as I went the FCP7 route.

What do you mean by source of the files?

You can create an XML from FCPX or an AAF/OMF using Auto Duck. TC would be the same as your project.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:51:24 pm

[Pedro de la Fuente] "What do you mean by source of the files?"

What was your video/audio source, ie, what'd you shoot it on?

Just curious.

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:55:57 pm

Shot on Canon 5d mk2 and audio recorded on Tascam Dr100. Working with the H264.

25fps
Audio 48khz/16bit

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:57:37 pm

[Pedro de la Fuente] "Shot on Canon 5d mk2 and audio recorded on Tascam Dr100. Working with the H264."

Yep, interesting. So those clips literally have no tc track, which is why AD might be chokeing on them.

I'll have to do some testing.

Simon? Do you have tc?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 31, 2011 at 7:59:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Simon? Do you have tc?"

Yes, the material is was testing with all has TC. I am finding that detaching any audio creates havoc with the AAF export - I'll be doing some tests with OMF to see if there's a difference.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:00:58 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Yes, the material is was testing with all has TC. I am finding that detaching any audio creates havoc with the AAF export - I'll be doing some tests with OMF to see if there's a difference."

Cool. Thanks for that.

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:08:15 pm

Hmmm, interesting and very useful finding. Would like to know how to overcome that since my main workflow involves Hdslr and external recorders.

Interesting fact is that all the sound fx and music don't slip, do they have tc?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:11:33 pm

[Pedro de la Fuente] "Interesting fact is that all the sound fx and music don't slip, do they have tc?"

BWF can carry tc.

h264 movies from DSLR are literally absent of a tc track. I use a tool from Video Tool Shed that will add tc for the THM files called QT Change: http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

I can only use this in programs outside of FCP7 though as if I did this with FCP7, it broke log and transfer.

But it doesn't sound like this is the issue after Simon wrote back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Automatic Duck is FREEEEE!!! But has issues ....
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:23:05 pm

Some points I think I have discovered about Automatic Duck PEFCP 5.0, exprting from FCPX and importing into ProTools:

1) An H.264 source clip with embedded audio (but no TC) behaved exactly as it should, even with detached audio.

2) A ProRes (4444) source clip with 8 audio tracks (all from an HDCamSR master, not synced separately, and obviously with TC) shows up the issue with detaching audio - the non-detached clips behae OK (but see below), the detached clips come up with a completely incorrect result.

3) This same ProRes clip shows up other issues as well. In the Inspector I deselected all the audio apart from the stereo mix on tracks 1+2 and used this to edit with. Despite this 5 (mono) tracks of audio come through on the export.

4) On the other hand, the detached audio clips (using the same editing method) come through as one single mono audio clip.

5) A further non-TC audio source behaved differently again - clips that were edited into the primary storyline came through as expected, but those that were only connected didn't come through at all (unlike item 4).

6) I can see no difference between OMF and AAF so the problem doesn't seem to reside there.

I know it sounds like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here but it looks as though a lot more careful experimentation is needed before using AD under real conditions.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:41:51 pm

Great to know. Thanks, Simon.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:49:16 pm

Yes, great info Simon. Hopefully it will only get better for FCPX.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:51:17 am

[Pedro de la Fuente] "Yes, great info Simon. Hopefully it will only get better for FCPX."

Not to rain on this parade, I think it's awesome that AD is free. But if it's having problems with FCPX now, I doubt it will get any better in the future. It's EOL at this point:
Because we are so busy with these new projects we cannot provide the same level of support for our plug-ins that we used to, therefore we can't in good conscience charge money for them. But we don't want our popular tools to go unused if they are still useful to people. Therefore we have decided to make them available at no charge. Enjoy!

Thank you for the memories, we'll see you around.

- Wes Plate & Harry Plate, co-founders of Automatic Duck

Kudos to the Plates for their generosity, but don't count on it getting better. Someone else will need to pick up the ball moving forward.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]