FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is FCPX really all that innovative?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Wardlow
Is FCPX really all that innovative?
on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:44:52 pm

This question was really brought to my mind as I played around with the free Adobe app Story. It is currently in beta, but its online potential seems more innovative in a useful way than FCPX's questionable magnetic timeline or whole sale rewriting of editing terminology.

Right now Final Draft (I currently use the free Celtx) is the industry standard of screenwriting software, but Story holds a lot of potential. And I think that comes in its ability for online collaboration (and that it integrates into Adobe On Location and Premiere Pro doesn't hurt).

Now call me crazy, but this makes think Adobe is currently innovative in ways that aid me as a filmmaker...where as I get the feeling that Apple and FCPX are not.

Maybe it is because I feel the Adobe Production Suite is taking over FCP's studio concept and really running with it. Where as I get the feeling that FCPX is positioning itself as an all-in-one proposition and leaving the heavy lifting to 2nd party developers.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
Re: Is FCPX really all that innovative?
on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:54:06 pm

I forgot to mention Movie Magic Screenwriter which is the other Hollywood standard for screenwriting. What I find interesting about Story is you can import both Final Draft and Movie Magic (along with Word or Celtx) formats in, work on them, and then import them back out in original format.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:28:24 pm

Hi Clint -

I worked and played with the early versions of Story, and, at the time, gave up on it temporarily because it wouldn't import Word documents in column form, which is how I write my scripts (most of my clients - industrials - work in Word as well).

I saw it to be extremely promising, and I should actually go back in and test it further. I use the CS5 suite, and see loads of potential there as a workgroup tool. Although I was never a FCP user, I've worked on both Apple and PC sides, and find either to be just a tool. What I like about Adobe, as opposed to Apple, is their openness to show you what's under the hood, and their sincere efforts to listen to their users, as well as how them what's coming down the road.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:49:33 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I worked and played with the early versions of Story, and, at the time, gave up on it temporarily because it wouldn't import Word documents in column form, which is how I write my scripts (most of my clients - industrials - work in Word as well)."

I am not sure how well it plays with Word as of yet. I also feel its scriptwriting tools are very basic currently (Final Draft is in no danger as of yet). However, I think its strongest potential is in its online capabilities and a strong set of tools that allow you to import from various formats and integrate into other Adobe Products.

Of course it is free until April 2011--then once your hooked they will zing you with a subscription fee.

It just makes me feel that Adobe is working towards innovations that will require a minimum of change to workflow habits. Whereas FCPX (which admittedly has great potential also) wants me to relearn everything to take advantage of their innovations.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 21, 2011 at 9:40:38 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I worked and played with the early versions of Story, and, at the time, gave up on it temporarily because it wouldn't import Word documents in column form, which is how I write my scripts (most of my clients - industrials - work in Word as well)."

Hey Joe,

I am not a script writer (so proclaim my ignorance!) but I know we've done a substantial amount of work on multi-columns and the import formatting. When you're ready, I hope you'll give it another peek.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
@Dennis Re: Is FCPX really all that innovative?
on Oct 22, 2011 at 3:58:44 am

Dennis -

I will most certainly give Story another try. As I said, my test of Story was very early on, and it wouldn't be giving it a fair shake to not try it again.

I'm so used to writing scripts in Word, that it would be a tough transition (sound familiar in this forum?), but I'm always open to new tools which will enhance my workflow. The toughest part will be getting clients who can barely use their email, or get their heads around Dropbox, to understand a collaborative workflow which isn't on paper.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: @Dennis Re: Is FCPX really all that innovative?
on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:46:16 am

Thanks Joe.

I think one of the key ideas about Story is that it's not necessarily about writing the script in Story. The value is in the rich metadata the story you write represents...

What I mean is that you should continue to write in Word and then import it into Story and have all of that data move directly to the clips and the actual production. While we strive to make the creation of scripts easier and more powerful in Story, I think our primary goal is connecting the script to the media in a new and powerful way.

2 cents, maybe 3...
Dennis

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
Re: @Dennis Re: Is FCPX really all that innovative?
on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:16:06 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "I think one of the key ideas about Story is that it's not necessarily about writing the script in Story. The value is in the rich metadata the story you write represents...

What I mean is that you should continue to write in Word and then import it into Story and have all of that data move directly to the clips and the actual production. While we strive to make the creation of scripts easier and more powerful in Story, I think our primary goal is connecting the script to the media in a new and powerful way."

That is what I find so interesting, its ability to to connect with Premiere and On Location. Also its online collaboration capabilities.

As an experiment, I have started a script project in it that I will be shooting in Utah this spring. I am writing it in Story and have added two of my collaborators through share. We plan to use Story all the way from preproduction through post.

I am kind of exited to see how Story performs for the total film-making process. This will determine whether I will pony up the cash for the subscription fees after April.

Maybe Cow will soon start a Story forum (I hope). It would be fun to post the results of my working with the app.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:33:57 am

I think there's a lot innovation in FCP X....definitely more than in Premiere, and I like Premiere.

Some people don't like the magnetic timeline, but some do, and there's no denying it's an out-of-the-box feature, not something every developer would arrive at. I like auditioning clips. I love the easy way you can mark clips and add them to keyword collections. Love smart collections. Love the skimmer.

None of that is in FCP 7, Premiere or Avid. It all represents a very original solution to editing, not accepting the standard approach that's been common for years (tracks, conventional bins, subclips, etc.).

So yes, I would say FCP X is pretty damn innovative. That doesn't mean it's "better" for everyone (although I do think it's better for raw, creative editing....when the interface doesn't get laggy, that is), but it is indeed full of out-of-the-box solutions to editing problems....

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]