FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Chicken Little dead?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Is Chicken Little dead?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:13:02 pm

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/08/images_claim_to_show_apples_m...

So, with the release of purported pix of the new Motion 5 at the link above, a new piece of the puzzle has now fallen into place. And, there was even mention of a new version of Color as well.

So, will the Chicken Littles of our world finally cease to fear that the sky is falling?

Do the leaked pix of Motion 5 allay your fears???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: Is Chicken Little dead?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:36:59 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "So, will the Chicken Littles of our world finally cease to fear that the sky is falling?"

No, because everyone knows that Steve Jobs is evil and hates pro users. Even if new versions of Motion and Color are released, Steve Jobs will personally come to your house and uninstall them, then kill your pets and family. Next, he will urinate on your lawn and burn your house down, because that's just the kind of guy he is.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:46:35 pm

We know that all is this stuff is for Pros only because you'll have to spend a fortunate to run a private fiber line to your office to have the bandwidth to download all this stuff.

Next Chicken Little will complain how using gestures proves that FCPX Suite is just for the iPhone crowd. After all none of us Pros have ever gestured a client.

"I'm sorry sir, that's not what you think it is, I was just using the one finger gesture to iCloud to send you the master for approval."

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:00:16 pm

I think these are very encouraging signs. If NAB demo created some anxiety then this leak has happened for better. And i think there is a good chance that this leak was intentional.

At the cost of being called a 'chicken', I would say I am feeling very relieved today.

But as the you guys yourself have been saying, we will have to wait untill the FCP X is officially launched, to know its real worth.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:19:23 pm

Apple would get a lot more positive spin if they skipped presentations and just did rumor leaks.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:29:02 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple would get a lot more positive spin if they skipped presentations and just did rumor leaks."

Or they could just press the "make viral video" button in FCP X...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:58:57 pm

I had assumed that since FCP X was not mentioned at WWDC that they had killed the product or sold it to Roxio or something.

:)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:07:09 pm

Steve Jobs doesn't really talk about software at his presentation to the Cupertino City Council about the prospective design for the new Apple Campus. It must have meant he sold everything and Apple is going to become an architectural design firm. It makes sense given what they've done with Apple Store design too. They'll be designing stores for Microsoft from now on.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:24:46 pm

"Think of it as evolution in action"
(Obscure ?)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 8, 2011 at 11:41:50 pm

FCP-X is going to have the best EULA ever, based on this:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-30976_1-20068778-10348864.html?part=.com=feed&subj...Crave.com

I hope Dennis Hayesbert gets the gig.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:20:28 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Do the leaked pix of Motion 5 allay your fears???"

If this is really an image of Motion from a rumor site, it looks like a mashup of Shake and Motion.

However, this has nothing to do with FCP which is my main concern. We use Motion as a particle generator right now, not much else.

Once I have my questions answer on what FCP includes / doesn't include then we'll be able to move forward. In the meantime, discussions continue with other vendors.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 8, 2011 at 10:28:59 pm

[walter biscardi] "Once I have my questions answer on what FCP includes / doesn't include then we'll be able to move forward. In the meantime, discussions continue with other vendors."

Why? I'm genuinely curious. You'll find out in a couple of weeks, and you have a perfectly good FCP7 based facility that doesn't have to integrate with other systems (in direct contrast to my own business), so why not wait until you actually have a product to compare before speaking to AVID?

I'm keeping my options open (although I already hear enough from my peripheral suppliers to allay most of my fears), but it seems pointless to compare anything until we have SOMETHING to compare it with.

Like you, I make little use of Motion, as current results are better in AE (including far better particle plugins), but am pleased to see more peeks of pro features. And apps. Not that I had any real reason to doubt they were there somewhere. I'm glad, based on current info, I won't have to pay for them if I don't use 'em. But again - who knows. Maybe it's free with FCPX? Wouldn't surprise me entirely.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:20:22 pm

[Ben Holmes] "so why not wait until you actually have a product to compare before speaking to AVID?"

That's what I just said. Once I have my answers to all my questions, then we will be able to make a decision. FCP X will be installed onto my personal iMac at home to see what it does and does not have.

As for a "perfectly good FCP 7" system. Yes, you mean the inefficient FCP 7 that we spend days converting over H.264 footage over so we can start editing? For my most recent documentary it took 3 days for a 12 core machine to convert all the GoPro footage over before I could start to edit. For an earlier documentary, over 2 weeks of time wasted during the course of the edit.

So yes, FCP is perfectly stable, but it's incredibly inefficient for working with many of today's digital formats.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:43:07 pm

Walter,

Clustering in Compressor is easy and Frikkin awesome! So much fun seeing all those cores on spare machine pegged at 100%
Just install MenuMeters, kick back and breeze through all those transcodes. Best thing in ages.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:59:32 pm

Compressor can be buggy with clusters and it takes a while to get all the processors ready and compressing. I've been comparing it to Adobe Media Encoder and Media Encoder smokes it every time. It's 64-bit, multi-processor away without having to set up a cluster, starts immediately and closes files very quickly. When I used Sorenson it started faster than Compressor too (but randomly crashed when compressing more than 1 file at a time).

Compressor with clusters is nice, but it's old and inefficient compared to pretty much everything else on the market. FCP7 is getting the same way, hence the "inefficient" statement Walter makes. FCP7 is pretty far behind everyone else at this point, so FCPX has a lot of catching up to do.

Apple really should have put on a better show and stayed around to answer questions. It would have stopped a lot of the Chicken Little stuff.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2011 at 4:02:31 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Apple really should have put on a better show and stayed around to answer questions. It would have stopped a lot of the Chicken Little stuff."

That's been my position all along. It seems to me that their decision to take over the SuperMeet was simply designed primarily as a way to trump Avid.

The sneak preview had very little to do with informing customers about the Apple product(s), instead it was a way to create pent up desire to keep customers in check and to help preserve the status quo through NAB and beyond.

Though most of us now hate Apple for doing things that way, it seems to have worked.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:03:59 pm

I was excited to see Motion screen grabs. I think Motion is a nice program that I've been able to create some real cool stuff with.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:16:08 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I was excited to see Motion screen grabs. I think Motion is a nice program that I've been able to create some real cool stuff with."

For those who don't know (if you've been locked-up in a cave for instance), Stephen is one of those very talented motion graphic designers who can create real cool stuff with any app. However, he's one of the few people who have mastered Motion, and he's created a great training DVD that's part of the Cow's Master Series. I'll bet anything there will be a Motion 5 Training DVD in his future soon.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:24:32 pm

David,
Thanks for the kind words...it made my day.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Jun 10, 2011 at 10:32:12 am

shame people not using Motion
they are missing out, much more efficient software than AE in my opinion

some things arent as good, a lot of things are better

also many people are unaware of how it works