FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting the FCP X database?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bransford
exporting the FCP X database?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:45:40 pm

I'm assuming that with all the new keywording, tagging, and metadata capabilities, the new Final Cut will be built upon some sort of database system. If this is indeed the case, do you think there will be any way to export a database file out of Final Cut so it could be used by some other application other than Final Cut?

I work in higher education, so here's the use case I'm thinking: a documentary filmmaker gives a hard drive to the university archives, and the drive contains everything related to a documentary project: the Final Cut Pro project file, the render files, and all the media files [not just the footage included in the final film but all the raw footage]. The archives will likely want to preserve the media files with all their associated metadata in a database application (or a content management system like Drupal) other than Final Cut.

I know it's all speculation until the new Final Cut ships, but does anyone have a suspicion about whether the metadata stored within a new Final Cut project will be able to be exported for use by another application? Thanks for any help folks can provide.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: exporting the FCP X database?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:59:17 pm

I'd guess it's pretty likely... after all FCP 7 can export a batch list containing just the active columns.seems to me then, you could change those headings, or match them in a database project and have them automatically fill the fields there (each clip being a record). But then, I've been wrong about some prognostications.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: exporting the FCP X database?
on Jun 11, 2011 at 3:21:06 pm

Technically its entirely possible for Apple to allow access to FCP X's Core Data document(s), if that is indeed how the app is modeled ... but who knows whether they will, or how easy they might make it that access if they do allow it, its entirely up to Apple and anyone who knows definitively is unable to say right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]