FORUMS: list search recent posts

What we want from Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Hale
What we want from Apple
on Oct 18, 2011 at 8:43:11 pm

I had a hardrive crash today. Of course I have it backed but I am still wresteling to get the media back into my project. I hate the fact that I can not reconect medai! I am starting this thred becasue today is the day I oficialy leave FCPX. Here is my question.

What features do you demand are put back into FCP before you will use it again?

Luke Hale
Producer/Editor BYU-I and Department of Energy
opticalsmarts.com (Just for fun)

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
Re: What we want from Apple
on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:42:43 pm

Reconnect by using the import function. I right click on the event, choose Import and select the media.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:59:19 pm

there was an interesting thread down there where adherents said what they thought was going to happen to multiclip - some of the booster solutions were odd to read.

If FCPX can't start thinking independently and clearly as a non linear editor, if it cannot begin to problem solve its own, created problems, if it's completely backed into the total weirdo corner with magnetic timelines, media that cannot reconnect because it's on an event basis, haywire autosave, a colour corrector built out of a square, a single monolithic bin to represent all assets...

if FCPX is, in fact, an awful lot like what it looks like - a curly red haired Ubillos step child stamping its foot saying "I'm SMMart!!!" - well then its dead.
dead as dead ever was.

and god knows its dying. This place may yet be its very last echo chamber. There are no mythical part time snowboarders getting on board in droves, there is no industry pickup, no london shop will touch it, automatic duck just fled, and our roundtrip to FCP is now, weirdly, via a random stallion colour corrector. or CatDV.

marsh. sinking.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:12:42 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "and god knows its dying. This place may yet be its very last echo chamber. There are no mythical part time snowboarders getting on board in droves, there is no industry pickup, no london shop will touch it, automatic duck just fled, and our roundtrip to FCP is now, weirdly, via a random stallion colour corrector. or CatDV.
"

Has learning Avid put you in another dark mood Aindreas?

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:26:48 pm

avoiding it, avoiding it, avoiding it.

those I know with avid at their fingertips are *lording* it over the rest of us now I can tell you.

Lording.

January - new years and all. Full new kit bought at that point... and then i will bite that 30 day hell trial marathon bullet.

premiere's basically fine tho. ish. familiar but a wee tad rough mind you.

My thoughts turn mostly to adobe's ability to execute PR6 and find themselves a native prores style delivery codec.
I think they really need to do that? the native timeline's grand, but they need a functional prores delivery codec of some sort.

Me and the many hordes are basically banking on a major PR6 at this point.

I more or less think FCPX is aperture, with all the implications that follow.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:28:54 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I more or less think FCPX is aperture, with all the implications that follow."

Bingo.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:29:09 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I more or less think FCPX is aperture, with all the implications that follow."

and they are?

(just curious as I see similarities but not sure what you mean specifically?)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:17:35 am

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-records-q4-2011-earnings-of-6-6b-...

In the linked chart of Apple revenues, FCP X is a small percentage of the 5% slice marked as other. Once upon a time Apple equipment sales were driven by Pro Apps. Now, they are probably no more than a minor annoyance to produce. The change in the financial status of Apple over the last decade is, or is nearly, unprecedented. We ain't even a small pothole, let alone a speed bump.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:22:15 pm

And apple exploited that less-than speed bump just a smidgeon and turned their backs quite drastically. Not saying anything about their decision, they are doing just fine, just a small irking feeling that I must have spent 30,000$ off the top of my head the last decade on products that now have minimal support at best and am now looking to replace with other brands from a "brand" that was only taken seriously enough to position themselves into a gadget store...We're not asking for Henry VIII's head, he asked for ours...ouch

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:54:52 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "And apple exploited that less-than speed bump just a smidgeon and turned their backs quite drastically. Not saying anything about their decision, they are doing just fine, just a small irking feeling that I must have spent 30,000$ off the top of my head the last decade on products that now have minimal support at best and am now looking to replace with other brands from a "brand" that was only taken seriously enough to position themselves into a gadget store...We're not asking for Henry VIII's head, he asked for ours...ouch
"

I agree. I think the iPhone was such a powerful game-changer inside the company, that it is just not the same company anymore. One of the divisions found "the ring to rule them all," and there is simply no going back. I think most of the folks who believe that FCP X is just in its infancy and will grow into something full-bodied will ultimately be disappointed. To my mind, the design of FCP X is based primarily on the needs of Apple's hardware buildout, secondarily on desire for continuity and symmetry within their app ecosystem, and only thirdly as an NLE. Some folks see big things for FCP X; I think its destiny is as the video version of Pages.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:10:05 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I think its destiny is as the video version of Pages."

Just an interesting observation looking at the App Store today under Top Grossing in order:
1 Lion
2 iPhoto
3 Pages
4 Final Cut Pro
5 Aperture
6 Keynote
7 Numbers
8 iMovie
9 AudioCAD LT
10 Adobe Photoshop Elements

So apparently FCPX does not gross as much as Pages.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:45:53 pm

For me, the comparison with Aperture goes thusly:
There was really nothing like Aperture when it was released. Aperture was modern digital photo management done right. Unfortunately, development was slow, and cool technologies like facial recognition came to iPhoto well before they made it to Aperture. Apple opted not to introduce a companion image-editing companion app. The result? Adobe's Lightroom (offering similar functionality with a more traditional media management model) caught up to Aperture in no time, then quickly surpassed it in some regards.

It's not that I can't see all the potential in FCPX; it's that all I see today is potential, and I have no idea when, if, or to what extent that potential will be realized. I see a lot of potential in competing apps, too, but without the immediate downside that FCPX is currently showing.

It could be that FCPX is part of a developing ecosystem, or it could end up being the video version of Aperture: a cool and quirky in-between application with loads of untapped potential. We'll all know more as it matures.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:05:55 am

is the aperture remark related to it not being photoshop?

it isnt meant to be, its like lightroom

• the RAW dabyer quality is fantastic
  • its retouch tools are sufficient for most purposes
  • its metadata paste stamp tools are one of the best things I have seen in software for a while
  • its printing has everything you would plus colorsync, something sorely missing in windows PCs
  • its social media integration is unparalleled
  • its windows configuration is fantastic
  • the metadata in/out is very good

I suppose you are talking about the sluggishness which happens if your graphics card isnt bleeding edge brilliant, that I agree is a bit annoying
that the first few version had bugs is true, version 3 is much better and responsive

have you actually used version 3? have you seen the obscenely cheap pricetag

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:28:49 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "but they need a functional prores delivery codec of some sort."

Aindreas, I agree that PPro needs good a cross platform delivery codec, but are you aware that if you've got FCP, X, or Motion on your Mac you can render to any version of Prores?

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:45:29 pm

Hey Aindreas buy me a pint and I'll get you up to speed on Avid in an hour after work in soho.

BTW has this been posted? Love it..

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Oct 19, 2011 at 11:52:32 am

- TRACKS
- Legacy project support
- Multicam
- Robust legacy XML/EDL/OMF/AAF support
- the return of Color, Soundtrack Pro, and DVD Studio Pro
- Native RED editing with metadata
- Autosave vault
- Ability to reconnect media manually

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 19, 2011 at 11:55:23 am

Here's a list I've been keeping. I have also been feeding it back to Apple. I realize some of it might be trivial. I'm sure some of it is simply my lack of knowledge of FCP X and I might be able to already do what's on this list.

Event Library:
EL: Re-link files
EL: Event and Project Library Manager, pick and choose what opens and what doesn't.
EL: Remove disks from the Event and Project Library that I don't (ever) need.
EL: Rename a clip, option to rename all instances of a clip.
EL: A column to show Keywords, as opposed to the twirl down.
EL: A column for A/V In Use.
EL: A column for Finder file name.
EL: A column for Finder location. (especially it's it's offline)
EL: Remove an item without Move To Trash. (Trash makes me nervous)
EL: A way to get back to the list of clips where I left off. (sometimes it jumps to 1st clip)
EL: A way to browse media not imported.

Editing:
Edit: View an audio waveform in the viewer. (or a bigger view when scrubbing in filmstrip)
Edit: Keyframe time remapping.
Edit: Keyframe color correction.
Edit: Normalize audio.
Edit: Close Timelines.
Edit: Timeline Inspector, see what event the clip came from.

Color Correction:
CC: Ability to move either the Angle or Amount by scrolling or entering numbers. (more precision)
CC: Rename each color correction, as opposed to Correction 1, 2, 3
CC: A levels style adjustment for RGB.
CC: White, Gray and Black Eyedroppers.

Settings:
Settings: Frame export. It always seems to default to PNG.
Settings: Default Scope, it always seems to be histogram.

Workspace:
Windows: Either, move the Scopes to second window/display, or make the scopes smaller.
Windows: Allow the Events window to be adjustable, on Second Display, it's full screen.
Windows: Save user defined workspaces.

Keywords:
KW: Create, edit and manage collections of keywords by Project, or Event. (like and editor)
KW: A way to save and reload them after trashing preferences.

Miscellaneous:
Misc: External monitoring.
Misc: Background Render, Alert for done. (even outside FCP X)
Misc: Have Command+Tab take me to the Mission Control Space, not bring the open dialog box to the current space. (bug?)
Misc: Larger area (or movable pane) for viewing Project names.
Misc: A better user manual, with chapters.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:48:04 pm

The difference between your response and Owen Wexler's show the dichotomy of thought. Owen took the long way around to say "nothing will bring him back."

On the other hand you gave a detailed list of improvements specific to the paradigm Apple is using.

Actually the thing that, to me, is there indicator of what's going on is the manual (or lack thereof). While Compressor and Motion have real PDF manuals, FCPX does not. I suspect Apple hasn't made a manual for FCPX because it's going to go through such major revisions so quickly as to make the ROI on making a manual at this point, not a viable use of resources of whatever department does such things. Assuming a 12 to 16 week series of significant updates (3 to 4 months), the changes, the proofing, the indexing only to have the process start all over again almost immediately (if it even gets completed on that cycle) would be daunting.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:44:41 pm

Craig,

Your response prompted me to go back and read Luke's question. I'm afraid I didn't pay enough attention to his question. Since he asked what would I like to have put back before I'll use it again. I missed the "before I'll use it again" part.

I didn't realize that Apple had published Motion and Compressor manuals. I hadn't bothered to look. That is odd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]