FORUMS: list search recent posts

.0 vs .0.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Giberti
.0 vs .0.1
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:42:57 pm

Seeing as though my/our real world experience is only with the updated X, I'm wondering how much of what I'm experiencing (or not experiencing, like no crashes yet) is attributable to the .0.1 update. Curious to hear from users who started with the original and how much improvement they've noticed with .0.1.

It seems like such a little number.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: .0 vs .0.1
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:38:35 pm

Stability seems to have improved a lot with .1, but I'm not sure how to really quantify it except that it happens less, if at all. .0 I was getting many more crashes than now. With .1, I haven't had many crashes, but weird things still happen, like the clip will go black in the viewer for no reason. Refreshing the canvas will fix it, as will an FCPX restart. Seems to be some sort of display issue. If we switch to FCPX full time someday, i will probably get a faster GPU.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:39:32 pm

Somebody, (maybe Steve Martin or Larry Jordan) wrote something I came across on why the version numbers are so different in X.

It's related to an internal Apple initiative to keep versioning consistent across all of their software platforms.

IIRC, 10.01 is now kinda equal to 10.1 in the old numbering.

So internally they weren't trying to signal "extremely minor update" with the designation.

For what it's worth.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:32:22 pm

They even change the way they number the updates!

Kidding, I read the same thing, I think from LJ.

Given what I've been reading for months and then my limited experience so far, It seems like a real .1 update.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:36:58 pm

I get about 2-3 crashes per day with the new version.

The crashes, I've noticed, occur when I import JPEG photos from, say, Photoshop, and then I re-save the photo in Photoshop after importing it into FCP X. Strange. Also, I've had a few crashes when sending a project to Compressor for outputing a selection of the project.

The nice thing about crashes is that I've never lost any work (just about 10 seconds for re-launch), because Final Cut constantly saves your changes.

-------------------
Documentary Camera in Los Angeles
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:39:35 pm

[Helmut Kobler] "The nice thing about crashes is that I've never lost any work (just about 10 seconds for re-launch), because Final Cut constantly saves your changes."

So FCP X has redefined "Crashing" too.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 18, 2011 at 1:27:52 am

Not sure if it's "redefined" what a software crash means...

but it's certainly changed the category of what a software crash represents in my brain from "often catastrophic" to "momentarily annoying."

And I can certainly live with that!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Neil McClure
on Oct 18, 2011 at 10:22:43 pm

Well I have got a big issue with zooming in on the timeline, particularly if I use the keyboard. I have projects with unattached audio and a music track. On a timeline zoom in the tracks go crazy piling up on each other. It does not put them out of sync, It's just a visual thing. I've found if I use the mouse and the slider It's mostly works as expected. Very annoying. Not Impressed with this upgrade.

FCPx I Motion 5 I Adobe CS5 I XDCAM EX1 I http://www.mcmm.com.au

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:33:36 pm

My big issue with zooming in and out of the timeline is that it often feels very slow and laggy. Not sure if that's because I've been cutting with native 5D footage (vs ProRes) or what, but fot all of X's vaunted speed, zooming in and out of the timeline disappoints a bit.

-------------------

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:41:54 am

Hey Neil, I just tried a quick recreate of your issue, separate audio, music as well as some title tracks and a second storyline. Using the traditional Command+/Command-, my timeline grows and shrinks instantly, no glitches with the display either. On an i7 8 gigs Ram

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:44:55 am

[Helmut Kobler] "My big issue with zooming in and out of the timeline is that it often feels very slow and laggy. Not sure if that's because I've been cutting with native 5D footage (vs ProRes) or what, but fot all of X's vaunted speed, zooming in and out of the timeline disappoints a bit."

Hey Helmut, re my post to Neil - I'm editing with Pro Res and it's super fast.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:57:14 am

Thanks Jim. I'm moving on to another project right now that will use Prores, so I'll cross my fingers!

-------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]