FORUMS: list search recent posts

App Store purchases for businesses??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
App Store purchases for businesses??
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:45:11 pm

Another unknown to deal with...

Has anyone ever bought (from the App Store) multiple copies of the same program for multiple installs?

We'll probably purchase a dozen or so copies of FCP-X, but I don't want them tied to an editor's personal App Store account like it's their phone. What happens if they leave?

I'm thinking I'll probably have to set up new App Store accounts for each system - hopefully they don't have to match the iTunes account, and I'm also hoping I can use the same e-mail and credit card info for all accounts & systems, but that still seems like a pain in the behind.

Also - license agreement says the same thing as FCP7 about installs - multiple copies can be installed (tower & laptop), but only one concurrent use (Sorry, no 5 users for price of one!) - so I'd expect the same type of thing, where it checks your network for duplicate serials at startup.

Currently, we can pretty easily shuffle serial numbers around for floating laptops, but it seems like that might become problematic under the App Store licensing system.

And I'm REALLY not looking forward to having to download it for each and every install. I usually make disc images from the DVDs once, and then install everything from a FW drive, which is SO much faster and more convenient than discs or downloads...

Good times!

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: App Store purchases for businesses??
on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:25:27 pm

Never bought anything from Apple App Store so please forgive the newbie question: can't you buy multiple instances of an app on an administrative corporate email address for a single download? I know I've done that with Sony Creative and Amazon but of course not Apple.

Even if you can't buy it / them all at once, can you re-use the same email address on a subsequent purchase of the same app?

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:50:17 pm

Obviously you don't want to use a person's personal account. The App Store account uses the iTunes account. It's a single account with a single Apple ID and password. You can use the same password but each account has to use a separate email address because the Apple ID has to be an email address.

Not sure on what the wording on the FCPX download will be, but it's not controlled by the application but my machine authorization like iTunes. Currently you can authorize five machines for your software.

A hack for accessing the Lion install.dmg has already been posted. It's in the Package Contents. There's probably a similar installer inside the FCPX package, but this is all a guess.

As you say it's not going to be pretty for large seat installations.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:02:42 am

We have over a hundred seats of FCP, and I can tell you that this will be a
MAJOR PAIN IN THE PATOOTIE!!!

I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this situation. I know that there are educational institutions
with much larger installs than ours.

So.... I'd love to hear about Apple's plan to handle multi-users.

Mark

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:53:16 am

Yeah - the optimist in me thinks, "they have to have thought of this, and they must have a plan, right?"... but then the pessimist takes over and, well, you can imagine where that leads...

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:11:20 am

I don't think the serial number will be a issue. When we upgraded the university to fcp 7 we had one serial number for each department. And that serial number activated x number of seats depending on how many units that department had. My only concern will be app store and download but I'm guessing that apple isn't dumb and theyll offer a disc version.

I might be wrong.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:58:29 am

App Store apps don't have serial numbers. They're activated by the Apple ID and password.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:59:14 am

This is a real good point that's been brought up. I would give a call to the local Apple store and discuss this issue with their small business coordinator. I would assume that if Apple is going to push the whole purchasing process towards the App store they have something in the works behind the curtain. It might be discussed at the WWDC. For example, us developers get a certain ability to purchase Macs and software through a special process. Maybe they are getting something together on the software front, like for developers.

They wouldn't be going public with this process just yet, but they will release it when they ship the product. So getting together to do some NDA (non disclosure agreement) discussions with Apple SMB (small medium business) people would be a good timing situation. You might influence their decision making process now. At release, forget it.

Alf

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:12:34 pm

I would think it's very naive to think Apple have not considered this possibility. After all, the sensible pricing of FCP X removes the need for people to try to work-around the current licensing with the likes of little snitch etc. Apple are betting more people will pick up multiple copies.

In addition, they already have volume pricing for FCS. I'm guessing there will not be discounting for X along the same lines, given the lower cost, but it will be there.

Calm down everyone.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:10:51 pm

I agree that it would be naive of Apple to do that. I actually would be amazed if they didn't work it all out. As mentioned elsewhere, I'm simply waiting it out until the dust clears,before making any future decisions. Speculation is rife. Jobs has his own way of dealing with upgrades, which is very different than other companies. It's worked so far very well for them. I have a lot invested in FCP, even if I don't use it much anymore. When I need it, it's there. Is it worth upgrading... we'll see.

Alf

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34:35 am

Maybe multiple installs will be handled via Apple's iCloud way of syncing devices. Designate one Mac as server. Download once and then distribute on local network.

Return to posts index

Anthony Dias
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:34:58 pm

Maybe Apple will adopt a BitTorrent style distribution system built in to the installer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]