FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio "roles"?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lemur Hayop
Audio "roles"?
on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:55:47 pm

Does anybody know if audio export in roles is clean or dirty? Apparently there are "roles" in FCPX that can export audio. I know nothing about these roles, but if it can export clean audio then this might be an alternative to OMF. What I mean by clean is no volume, pan, effects, etc., just as if the audio were exported in OMF.

Automatic Duck threw a wrench into the debate my killing off its apps. It's been a month or so since they were gobbled up by Adobe and closed their website so it seems there's little hope that OMF export will be available in FCPX by anybody.

I haven't bought or tried FCPX yet because I'm looking at all NLE options and will buy a new laptop accordingly, Mac or PC. I'm about to embark on a documentary project and would like to start with a new NLE. My current NLE is FCP6 and I prefer not to start it in that app.

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Audio "roles"?
on Oct 16, 2011 at 11:23:51 pm

Roles is not an OMF replacement. It assigns you audio a role: dialog, sfx, music, etc. Allows you to export audio stems, but not clean and separate audio clips like OMF

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lemur Hayop
on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:14:04 am

Thanks. It seems FCPX is getting worse by the day. What's next, Adobe gobbles up Boris?

http://www.k9sound.com

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:49:09 am

Out of curiosity, what IS an "audio stem"?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:50:10 am

OK...let me explain it like this.

A network requires that I deliver the show with the following audio configuration:

Ch 1 & 2 - Stereo Mix
Ch 3 & 4 - Music and Effects only
Ch 5 - Dialog only
CH 6 - SFX only
CH 7 & 8 - Stereo Music.
CH 9-14 Dolby 5.1

Each of those is an "audio stem." It is the audio on separate tracks. Stereo mix for air...DOlby for air. But the other options for when the video is remixed for international distribution, or for cutting promos.

Shane

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:43:08 am

Couldn't you use the FCP X Placement tool to put your audio on those "tracks"? Assign the appropriate Role to the audio and then export the Roles?

I'm guessing that doesn't produce the same result?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:14:57 pm

There are no "tracks" in FCX. Apple has done away with them. And it is impossible to keep things on imaginary tracks as it is because of the magnetic timeline...it moves audio up and down, out of the way, when you rearrange clips. Before ROLES the only output option was stereo mix.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:09:58 pm

[Kevin Patrick] "Couldn't you use the FCP X Placement tool to put your audio on those "tracks"? Assign the appropriate Role to the audio and then export the Roles?

I'm guessing that doesn't produce the same result?"

Think of it this way. A stem is a self contained file of everything in that role (or track), an OMF is like an XML of the sequence with attached media, all edits remain in place.

The thing about OMF is that it exports the media on a clip by clip basis so it comes in to the DAW looking just like your timeline, and all clips are separate. This capability is not present in a direct export from FCPX quite yet, although there are new utilities that seem to be coming very soon (maybe today) that will allow you to export an X timeline to FCP7 which will get you OMF export.

If you don't want that and you want to use Roles, you would have to assign a role (or subrole) to each clip in the layer stack so that they don't get mixed down (or combined). It sounds harder than it is.

Typically, after an audio DAW session, the audio mixer sends back stems and a mix. So you will get a Surround/stereo mix, and then stems which would be tracks of dialogue, musics, effects and whatever else all on separate channels/files so that you can export what you need. In this case, if you get stems back from a DAW, Roles become super fall down easy for export and allow you to make all kinds of files on one or two export passes. I know they are weird and they are certainly different, but in my little opinion, they are very cool and useful.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Oct 17, 2011 at 5:04:03 pm

[Lemur Hayop] "Automatic Duck threw a wrench into the debate my killing off its apps. It's been a month or so since they were gobbled up by Adobe and closed their website so it seems there's little hope that OMF export will be available in FCPX by anybody."

Reportedly, they are just building a new website and Automatic Duck is still a separate company from Adobe. Certainly smells fishy though. Why couldn't they work out their business dealings and website changes prior to announcing Wes' move to Adobe? Why suspend all business if you are still in that business? Very strange.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:41:28 am

The critical difference is OMF sends individual files PLUS handles. A role based stem is a mix of clips and offers no handles, effectively making it useless to sound post. OMFs also export the file name which is helpful to rematch a polywav to a mono mixdown.

Apples best hope is that DAW makers adopt this new XML format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]