FORUMS: list search recent posts

No mention of FCP X at the Apple WWDC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
No mention of FCP X at the Apple WWDC
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:04:36 pm

Just in case some of you weren't following the live coverage of the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, FCP X was not mentioned at all, and OS X Lion will be released on July 9th via download from the Apple App Store for $29.99.

That is all...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: No mention of FCP X at the Apple WWDC
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:07:06 pm

But see my above post and see how Lion download may indicate at least one big thing.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/1781

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:43:20 pm

If we're going to talk about things not mentioned just as people did regards the sneak peek, when talking about iCloud there was no mention of iDisk. I sometimes send my clients files through that and have them deliver by dropping into my public folder. Sure there are alternatives but it would be easier to manage through one cloud thing.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:56:59 pm

Shane Ross and I exchanged posts about iDisk on the FCP Forum. While no mention of iDisk was made specifically, it was mentioned that 5Gb of free storage was to be alloted to all iCloud users. That seems to imply that those of us who use iDisk for for sending and receiving video and audio files may have to buy additional storage space.

Personally, I'd certainly like to find out if those of us who've forked over $99 for MobileMe will be getting a refund, or if Apple will apply our $$$ to extra storage fees.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:03:57 pm

I read somewhere Apple wants $25 a year for i-clown, er, cloud.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:07:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I read somewhere Apple wants $25 a year for i-clown, er, cloud."

Mr. Jobs said it was free...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09:49 pm

$25 a year was for iMatch or whatever they called it for matching your ripped CDs.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:12:18 pm

[Craig Seeman] "$25 a year was for iMatch or whatever they called it for matching your ripped CDs."

What the heck, it's only iMoney... Steve Jobs owns most of mine already.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:48:38 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "What the heck, it's only iMoney... Steve Jobs owns most of mine already."

Used with their new online billing service called iOU

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:08:47 pm

Basically if the additional storage space is less than $99 a year that wouldn't be bad.

My own hunch is that things will be shifting over as accounts expire so it may be close to a year before everyone is moved.

I do think there's some irony that Apple's business model includes, in part, that optical disk is dead yet they do nothing to provide alternative delivery for the professional

My message to Apple/Jobs is that I'm fine if you think optical is dead but then provide the method for me to deliver master files online and a place for protected client screening and professional distribution. Again I know there's alternatives out there already but you're not true to your business model if you can't provide it for me under one roof err one cloud.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
UPDATE: New info from the MobileMe website
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09:58 pm

At the link below, Apple says that as of today, June 6th, those of us with MobileMe accounts will have our accounts extended to June 2012, without charge. They speak of transitioning to iCloud this fall, but still no direct mention of iDisk or what we may have stored thereon.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: UPDATE: New info from the MobileMe website
on Jun 6, 2011 at 9:52:07 pm

Things are disappearing fast.

iDisk description GONE.
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html

So Apple's FTP service for non geeks (clients) is going to be gone gone?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: UPDATE: New info from the MobileMe website
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:11:27 pm

They sent MobileMe users an email with the same data.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:58:19 pm

It's coming out tomorrow.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:11:51 pm

[John Davidson] "It's coming out tomorrow."

Should we believe a magic feather, the people at http://www.releasedates.co at the link below, or should I just wait patiently?

http://www.releasedates.co/product/apple-final-cut-pro-x-release-date

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:14:39 pm

Tomorrow's my birthday. It's all I want.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Gregory Butner
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:48:55 pm

My guess is that the admin that enters the data for releasedates.co just entered a random number in the date column.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:22:25 am

I've been holding off making any kind of judgement on the FCP X situation. Having been in software development for a major player in the industry though much of my career, the early PR statements were very troubling to me. I'm still hoping that Apple doesn't decide that FCP is a product they can no longer afford to support, which is what the marketing hype has led me, personally, to assume. If they really were going to go 'all out' for us, they would have taken a much different tack. But I will wait and hope I'm proven wrong.

I assumed that we would be hearing a lot more at the WWDC, since the developers that are in all the ancillary third party support would need to be briefed on how to make products and services for X. I'm hoping that Apple assumed that they have already made the 'major' announcement on this, and that they will cover the dev issues at the breakout sessions. There's a much smaller community of devs for FCP than the overall universe of Apple, iPod, iPad, etc. And there was only so much time to be given to the keynote. It's not worrying, just yet, but the amount of breakout sessions devoted to X will tell the true tale.

Anyone there that can let us know what the amount of hours devoted to FCP is out of the overall program in the coming days? Are they on the second day or the last day? That is important. The most critical groups will get the premium slots.

Alf

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 8, 2011 at 2:29:21 pm

Are we shocked by the fact that Apple did not mention FCP at the WWDC? Can we ever find an example of FCP or any other ProApp being mentioned at the WWDC other than maybe some sort of chart or graph?

When Apple is darn good and ready, they'll release it and then we find out how good / bad it really is. Of course the pricing strategy is brilliant. It means that they will be satisfying the needs of the majority of their users.

Say there's 250,000 Pro Users who all require Capture / Edit to Tape functions right now. That's a sizeable chunk of the 2,000,000+ registered users.

$299 price = maybe 5 to 10,000,000 registered users after the first year. I mean if you edit video you'd be nuts to not buy at least one copy to have in your toolbox "just to have it."

Now those 250,000 Pro Users are just a small minority and of course we know how Apple feels about the minority of users......

I'm still waiting to hear reaction from Walter Murch and the Coen Brothers since those are the two flagship pro editors Apple always trots out to remind us how professional Final Cut Pro is.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:47:02 pm

[walter biscardi] "I'm still waiting to hear reaction from Walter Murch and the Coen Brothers since those are the two flagship pro editors Apple always trots out to remind us how professional Final Cut Pro is."

For all we know they have beta copies and have been making feature suggestions. Murch is using a third monitor to test the new FCPX Index Card feature.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:02:33 am

Ok, Walter. You've been at this longer than I have. If you say that's the way they traditionally work, I'm fine with assuming all is well. I have no need to run to the newest version immediately, and if the Coen Bros. feel that it's the best thing they have used, then great! I'm onboard.

It's odd to me that they wouldn't be briefing 3rd party developers at the WWDC on how to program to this new app, given 64 bit changes, etc. and that they would like to have add-ons at launch of the real thing. Maybe they are just on a different path than the rest of Apple. I have no idea. I'm not going ballistic on this, just wondering what's up...

Alf

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 9, 2011 at 8:28:05 am

[Al Bergstein] "...briefing 3rd party developers at the WWDC on how to program to this new app..."
Hi
Surely what Apple is doing at WWDC is giving developers a thorough grounding in the new iOS5/10.7 APIs, so that they understand enough to take ANY individual app SDK and turn out functional bug-free code.
If you don't understand the big-picture basics then there's no chance of the specifics being done right. ;-)

Further to that it seems to me (=uneducated guess) that FCP X/Motion X/etc are at their fundamental level going to turn out to be GUI/toolsets which for the most part utilise the underlying OS's built in routines as the application 'engine' - hugely powerful and common across ALL GUI/apps, and built on a common OS CoreData metadata-database - so if you don't understand the OS you don't know nuttin'...
(This is a paradigm shift from the way that things have been done in the past.)

Which is why the forward development of FCS X has been inherently waiting for the new cool super-efficient/unbloated codebase of iOS to percolate upwards into Mac OS X. :-)

(fan)
Which maybe will leave Avid and Adobe and their legacy cobbling as yesterday's (neanderthal) men?
(/fan)
Hehe

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 9, 2011 at 6:40:22 pm

OS API's are certainly one thing, but I would imagine that for Boris and other add on app developers there are programmatic API's for FCP etc. I could be wrong, just extrapolating on other apps out in the world. And yes, likely the average user isn't going to be doing a lot of additional GUI scripting I would assume.

From some of the screen shots posted in the last few days it appears that they are rolling out a bit of info about X to the dev community that cares about it at WWDC.

As to 'bloat' in OS's, it seems inherent to me that as you add functionality and features, you add size. Most 64 bit OS's that I'm aware of were larger than their 32 bit counterparts. In total MBs on the disk I mean, not just the address space (G). The OS for a phone is always going to be more efficient than a full function computer, I would guess.

So was there more about X that's been brought out from the follow on days of WWDC? I've been heads down in a project, and unable to take much time to surf looking for stuff.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]