<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Nice Animated Tribute to Steve Jobs
on Oct 6, 2011 at 9:37:15 pm

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
Re: Nice Animated Tribute to Steve Jobs
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:15:18 am

Very nice tribute, indeed. Thanks for posting it, Craig.

I was thinking about Steve Jobs today, and one thing that crossed my mind is that had he been born, say, ten years earlier or later, we probably would never have heard of him, nor have many of the toys that we enjoy. Kind of like "It's a Wonderful Life", but with Steve Jobs in the part played by Jimmy Stewart.

Fifty-six is simply too young to die. It's very sad.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Oct 7, 2011 at 12:52:36 pm

[Jim Glickert] "I was thinking about Steve Jobs today, and one thing that crossed my mind is that had he been born, say, ten years earlier or later, we probably would never have heard of him, nor have many of the toys that we enjoy."

I invented nothing new.

I simply assembled the discoveries of other men behind whom were centuries of work. Had I worked fifty or ten or even five years before, I would have failed.

So it is with every new thing. Progress happens when all the factors that make for it are ready, and then it is inevitable.

To teach that a comparatively few men are responsible for the greatest forward steps of mankind is the worst sort of nonsense.

-Henry Ford

Everything is a Remix Part 3

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:41:31 pm

I've generally been carefull to describe Apple/Jobs as an aggregator. They then synthesis new products from that. Very much a dialectic of sorts.

Apple surveyed the MP3 field, smartphone field, netbook field, observed how they were used, synthesized that into new products. Personally I feel that's what they've done with FCPX. For them, when the "consult" it does not mean simply "what to you want" but to examine what people are doing, how they do it and that results in their direction on how to do it a new/better way.

I think this is Jobs' genius. This is the spirit I hoped he imbued in Apple. This is what I hope continues in Apple's collecting consciousness.

I'm honestly not sure people understand this which is why they don't get how and why Apple develops products whether it's iPods or FCPX.

I also think Jobs was inherently a "populist." Unfortunately people confuse that with "consumer" or maybe "mass" consumption.

I think the biggest shift from early Jobs to post NeXT Jobs was how to achieve "populist" technology. I think his original approach was "trickle down" in that expensive products would start "on high" and eventually grow in acceptance. After NeXT technological success but market failure, he shifted. He/Apple targeted the broadest markets and allowed "trickle up" instead. Individuals may not like Apple's approach but it comes with the "spirit" that lives within Jobs/Apple. I also suspect that Jobs' Buddhism had a significant impact on his approach to life and to business as well. I think it may explain, in part, Apple's "behavior" as a company.

I think Jobs himself attempted to be an "aggregator" and used a "collective consciousness" approach to business. I that's part of the "magic" that makes some some of us attracted to Apple products and I also think that's part of why people have such a strong ineffable connection to Jobs, Apple, their products.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:30:02 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple surveyed the MP3 field, smartphone field, netbook field, observed how they were used, synthesized that into new products. Personally I feel that's what they've done with FCPX. For them, when the "consult" it does not mean simply "what to you want" but to examine what people are doing, how they do it and that results in their direction on how to do it a new/better way."

[Craig Seeman] "I'm honestly not sure people understand this which is why they don't get how and why Apple develops products whether it's iPods or FCPX."

I agree with your analysis, Craig. The problem is that iPods and FCP serve very different markets. It remains to be seen if the development strategies that enabled Apple to dominate the consumer technology market will also work in enterprise-class business markets.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:03:53 pm

[David Lawrence] "The problem is that iPods and FCP serve very different markets. It remains to be seen if the development strategies that enabled Apple to dominate the consumer technology market will also work in enterprise-class business markets."

But I don't think Apple perceives "markets" that way. For them it's not a right or wrong or this market or that but a business methodology. They may well argue that the mass appeal of iPhones and iPads have resulted in their creep into the enterprise market. Of course seeing that potential and demand has resulted in changes so that they can be securely used in that environment.

I suspect Apple envisions the same methodology. Wide acceptance of FCPX (not what some would consider "pros" here) and, between third party support and changes made by Apple (as per above security issues) it will grow into the "professional" market.

Of course this doesn't guarantee it will work. Apple has certainly had its failures . . . which they almost always recover from by taking yet another approach.

This is why I mention their "trickle up" approach. They will not "target" the "pro" market so much as aim for the broadest and grow into it as direction indicates. That direction does mean they will make changes just as the iDevices creep into enterprise.

It's very organic. Of course an organism may grow slowly and it may not even grow in the ways some of use want it to.

I do suspect this is part of Jobs' takeaway from NeXT's failure. I do think Jobs' change in approach which includes both a philosophical and maybe religious level has something to do with Apple going being a tech giant but a company that is neck and neck with Exxon in market cap..

Apple is not going to change their DNA, their spirit, their fundamental business philosophy especially since it's guided them well and even allowed them to both weather and learn from their occasional failures.

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:08:33 pm

Really great but wasn't Mr. Jobs a Buddhist? That makes the ending a bit inappropriate.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39:37 pm

[Bill Hall] "wasn't Mr. Jobs a Buddhist?"

Yes. I don't think most people know this. I also think it impacted how he ran Apple. See the other posts in this thread relating to that and how I think it had to do with changes in Apple during his "second round" post NeXT. His 1991 wedding to Laurene Powell was a Buddhist ceremony from what I understand so I don't doubt his religion was very much apart of his approach to life and business.

I have a hunch is authorized biography will explain a lot.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 7, 2011 at 9:27:42 pm

Apple and Buddhism?
Can anybody explain the relation.
I live in a Buddhist country and, believe me, I don't see much the relation.
About the end of the clip, if he was a Buddhist, probably he would had just smiled.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:45:53 am

[Rafael Amador] "Apple and Buddhism?
Can anybody explain the relation.
I live in a Buddhist country and, believe me, I don't see much the relation."

There are many variants of Buddhism just like any other belief system. Generally people who "convert" tend to believe in ways not quite the same as those born into a belief system.

Basically Jobs' method of management and decision making seem different and it's infused into the company and may well be why such a thing as Apple University exists.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 8, 2011 at 5:34:03 pm

Buddha proposal is about reaching enlightenment by getting over our terrene desires. Is a Godless religion; a non-imposition philosophy, prone to pity, that considers every little thing in nature being a part of a whole.

Apple Computers was a company dedicated to cover basic human needs (tools: computers and productive software).
Yes; we could say that his philosophy was ZEN inspired (patience, "on-the-job-seek of perfection, humility and utility), and his discourse was about openness and commitment.

Apple's line is more about pushing desires (beauty, exclusivity, distinction) and creating needs. Fashion is the hook now. His discourse is messianic, exclusionist and has abandoned the Zen inspiration breaking one of the pillars: linage and ancestors. Apple has renegade of them.
Their current account has suddenly enlightened them, so now they are ready to share a bit of that "light" with everybody. But only at the Apps Store.

[Craig Seeman] "Basically Jobs' method of management and decision making seem different and it's infused into the company and may well be why such a thing as Apple University exists."
An sleeping program undusted in just 24 hours (780.000.000 results in Google).
Great. If students fallows Jobs example, they will quite short after starting.
Steve Jobs is a great asset and have to keep producing
Probably they'll be able to put his management techniques in papers, but they will leave the best of that guy out of the book..
rafael
PS: Lets don't mistake Steve Jobs with Apple.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:07:23 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Apple's line is more about pushing desires (beauty, exclusivity, distinction) and creating needs. Fashion is the hook now"

beauty - But I'd contend Apple's Beauty is "anti ornate" It is ultra minimal.
exclusivity - I'd contend to simply so as to be inclusive.
distinction - in a world in which ornate and complexity are pervasive, being simple in design and use might appear "distinctive." But this is not distinctive in an "elite" sense.

[Rafael Amador] "Probably they'll be able to put his management techniques in papers, but they will leave the best of that guy out of the book.."

Let's hope not. Alas any such thing can be altered beyond the original creative attempt.

[Rafael Amador] "PS: Lets don't mistake Steve Jobs with Apple."

But what makes Apple "different" is what Jobs imbued. It seems so much of it reflected his outlook. In fact I think Jobs himself went through great personal change between his first and second participation at Apple. I think his personal change was very much why Apple part two was in many ways a different company.

I think his staffing and management techniques changed radically and I think that is tied to changes in his personal belief system. I also think his "business" goals changed and this impacted how "products" were developed and designed.

That so many of us can actually "grieve" for "a CEO" is, in itself, an unusual cultural phenomenon. That, for many, goes beyond someone who headed a company that made "shinny trinkets that we coveted."

I'd ask, maybe half rhetorically" What made this man, his relationship to the company and our relationship to both, so emotionally important?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:41:12 pm

Craig my friend, I see madness from a different position.
I live in a place where people is spending one month salary just to have an iPhone. Most can't afford an internet connexion.

[Craig Seeman] "I'd ask, maybe half rhetorically" What made this man, his relationship to the company and our relationship to both, so emotionally important?"
Nothing about computers or management.
Just that he looked like the kind of guy that he would listen to you if you would have the opportunity to talk with him.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 8, 2011 at 7:14:22 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I live in a place where people is spending one month salary just to have an iPhone. Most can't afford an internet connexion."

This is something that must change but that involves another form of change.
Nicholas Negroponte, who started One Laptop per Child is/was a noble attempt at that. His goal was to mass produce a laptop bringing costs down to $100. That governments would buy and distribute so the cost would not be born by the individual. That a massive per to per network would develop to help connectivity. That the laptop would not rely on outside delivery of electricity (it would be either hand cranked or solar charged).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child

Interestingly even here Apple offered to help (although I don't think noted in the above wiki).
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/13/apple_hires_one_laptop_per_ch...

Apple has hired Ivan Krstic, the developer of the security architecture for the One Laptop Per Child project's XO system

Maybe a stretch extrapolation but it may well point to the kind of people Jobs hired.

Nicholas Negroponte, who leads the OLPC effort, told his TED audience in 2006 that Steve Jobs had supported his early efforts building toward what would become OLPC with free Apple computer hardware back in the early 80s. However, when Jobs offered the OLPC project free use of Mac OS X software and engineering help, it rejected Apple's technology in favor of Linux, a decision supposedly based on the group's dedication to free and open source software.

Which maybe speaks to Jobs as a person. While one might think such motives are mercenary, it's interesting that Jobs, who killed the Mac clones, was in the case, willing to offer OSX.

This too has some interesting bits.
http://www.edibleapple.com/2009/12/07/steve-jobs-helped-consult-nicholas-ne...
Apple’s business model of selling expensive and premium priced computers is an accepted par of the tech discourse, which makes it all the more surprising that Steve Jobs informally advised and provided feedback to Nicholas Negroponte, the founder of the OLPC initiative. OLPC, in case you’re unaware, stands for “One Laptop Per Child”, and is a non-profit organization geared towards manufacturing insanely cheap laptops for use in developing countries.

[Rafael Amador] "Nothing about computers or management.
Just that he looked like the kind of guy that he would listen to you if you would have the opportunity to talk with him. "

I think it runs much deeper than that. That might make him likable but the attachment runs much deeper I think.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 9, 2011 at 2:02:02 am

[Craig Seeman] "[Rafael Amador] "Nothing about computers or management.
Just that he looked like the kind of guy that he would listen to you if you would have the opportunity to talk with him. "

I think it runs much deeper than that. That might make him likable but the attachment runs much deeper I think."

That at first sight; a plain guy without vanity.
Then the feeling that he was really committed with people. Apple was just a mean of giving his best in this life.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 9, 2011 at 2:07:44 am

The fact that he never disputed his portrayal in "Pirates" and then had Noah on stage said to me that he is that guy. Look at the way he deals with adobe, music labels, and facebook. Listen to emplyees talk about making sure they have conversation readying case they get caught in an elevator. He's intense, driven, and completely unforgiving. I think he's a driven perfectionist. Perhaps something internally told him he didn't have much time to vet it all done. I fall a little more into the Ayn Rand camp of what is moral and good and Jobs is simply a modern day Dagny Taggart. And Apples design ethic os definitely Roark. Minimalist, simple, and the beauty is derived by how the form follows function. I think whatever religion he had was completely separate from his business persona. T

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]