FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noob workflow questions - can I pick your brains please?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark W
Noob workflow questions - can I pick your brains please?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:02:38 am

Hi,

I'm editing a two camera shoot which will have about 3.5 hours of final edited footage so I need an efficient workflow in place before I start, so I'd like to pick your expert brains please.

Using two cameras I have a close up and wide shot of the same footage (a guy talking to camera - very simple). The lapel mic audio is mono and recorded on the wide shot reel. The close up reel has the shot gun mic recording background audio - just for reference.

The presenter claps before each take - so I can sync up the two different camera angles. The camera operator generally hits start/stop at the same time on both cameras but obviously both reels are not synchronized perfectly.

Basically I want to show the wide shot most of the time, then occasionally cut to the close up for variety, back out to the wide etc.

With the above in mind, I have the following questions please:

1) Whats the best way to sync up the wide and close shots? At the moment I have the wide on top of the close so the wide is the default shot showing. I'm trying to figure out a way to see the presenter clap his hands together on both reels so I can line them up?

2) Whats the easiest way to cut between the close and wide shots? I have the wide on top of the close so that's dominant. The audio I want is on the wide. Use the razor blade? When I tested the razor blade I noticed it's cutting out the audio track on the wide shot which I don't want to happen - so if I use the razor I need to unlink the clips.

3) The lapel mic audio on the wide shot is currently mono only - how do change it to stereo?

Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Noob workflow questions - can I pick your brains please?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:23:58 am

[Mark W] "1) Whats the best way to sync up the wide and close shots? At the moment I have the wide on top of the close so the wide is the default shot showing. I'm trying to figure out a way to see the presenter clap his hands together on both reels so I can line them up?

You could change opacity to 50% on the top clip, I take sync cues from the audio waveform though

2) Whats the easiest way to cut between the close and wide shots? I have the wide on top of the close so that's dominant. The audio I want is on the wide. Use the razor blade? When I tested the razor blade I noticed it's cutting out the audio track on the wide shot which I don't want to happen - so if I use the razor I need to unlink the clips.

You could use the razor blade, or you can position the playhead on the cut point and press "command B" to cut the track.I would have the wide on the bottom and the close on the top, although as you say you could "Detach Audio" if you wanted to keep the wide on top

3) The lapel mic audio on the wide shot is currently mono only - how do change it to stereo?
"

Select the clip and in the audio tab of the inspector there is a channel configuration setting

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]