FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Wait For X To Evolve?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Mullins
Why Wait For X To Evolve?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:26:20 am

When FCPX was released and the critical reviews began I decided to take my time, use the software over a few months and make my own firsthand judgement on it. I worked through all of Larry Jordan's training material and set up several projects in my spare time that would help me learn X. Having done this, although I'm no expert, I feel legitimately prepared to make a decision concerning my future. But to do so requires understanding what that decision actually entails. For me it comes down to this - FCPX is not up to the standards of other available NLE's, so do I:-

1. Continue using FCP7 for work, whilst waiting for X to update and evolve into a genuinely pro application, or
2. Switch to another application.

Apple have put me in an interesting position - really I have no choice but to switch applications, even if I chose to adopt X right now! X is a new application itself and requires an investment in time to learn it just as Media Composer or Premiere Pro would. So why chose X over MC or PP? FCP7 is now end of life and whilst it does what I need it to today, in 2 or 3 years I imagine that will no longer be the case. So why continue to use it at all? Of course I will use 7 until I am comfortable enough to sit with a client using another application (or for legacy projects), but as 7 is now dying there is no choice but to move on.

So now it comes down to what I think the future of X is. Both Media Composer and Premiere Pro are more advanced NLE's right now today without having to develop further (although they will), so to me either one of them is a more practical choice. With X, all I can do is guess. And even when Apple make announcements such as multicam coming in 2012, this still for me doesn't address the fundamental issues. For me X's main downfall (aside form the well documented ones) is working with audio on the timeline. I don't mean a lack of exporting options, I mean just moving audio clips around and manipulating them on the timeline. And this a fundamental design choice within X that I don't think will ever change (they are unlikely to return to track based editing). So if I am waiting for X to evolve into something I will enjoy using as a professional tool every day at work, what exactly I am waiting for it to do?

As you will have gathered I have chosen to move on from FCP. I am using Premiere Pro at work (alongside FCP7 for the time being) whilst learning Media Composer in my spare time. I will continue to monitor the progress of X and if a couple of years down the line it's become the revolutionary application Apple says it is, then I can always pick it up then. And from that point of view it's a very interesting position for Apple to have voluntarily put it's customers in. They have forced change upon us, whilst offering an inferior product to the rest of the market, so why choose to stay with them? Really I should thank Apple; they have given me cause to widen my skillset in learning Media Composer, something I have been meaning to do for the last 2 years, and introduced me to the serious advances made by Premiere Pro, of which I was not aware.

I'm sure there will be other rationales and other opinions and perhaps I am failing to see something in my decision making process but to me I just can't see the reason to stay with Apple for the next couple of years.

Ben.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Re: Why Wait For X To Evolve?
on Oct 3, 2011 at 7:11:25 am

Hi Ben,

Out of curiosity, as I do respect your decision, but why do you think the audio capabilities are less than FCP7 or the other NLE's?

I ask because I particularly think the audio is one of the biggest improvements.

Cheers
Carsten

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:59:21 am

Hi Carsten,

In regards to the way audio works on the X timeline, although I do like how clips move out of the way when you drag other clips into them, I find that once I have several layers of audio down, the timeline becomes very messy and it is not as easy to see where clips are and what they are. In FCP7 for example, I can group all my SFX onto 4 designated tracks and therefore know at a glance where they are (I guess Roles will help with organisation, but not as well in my opinion).

In addition I find it awkward that primary audio is embedded into the video clips when other audio is not, and if I wish to disconnect primary audio I cannot reconnect it afterwards. I also find adding audio transitions rather annoying. But I do like having the fader handles on each clip. I suppose I just prefer track based editing when it comes to the audio side of things.

Perhaps I'm being to premature in switching from FCP and the title of this thread 'why wait for X to evolve?' is a genuine question. If people can see things I cannot, or have a different reasoning, I would love to hear what those are. How come you like the audio in X so much?

Ben.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:24:55 am

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your explanations.

I guess the reason why I like audio so much is mainly because it is no longer bound to frames. For example it's so much better to be able to edit on sample level when editing speech. Also I find the waveform (I think it's actually more a volume histogram) very intuitive. Love the fact too that the graph adjusts in realtime. Very fast when adjusting transitions as you can actually see when the levels match. Like that you now have all those Soundtrack/Logic plugins right there including the dedicated UI's for them. No more sliders. Hurrah! I do not have any problem that sync audio is actually married to the video. Most of the time it's easy enough to expand the audio without disconnecting to create overlaps. I do actually like the fact that it is now really clear what is sync sound and what is extra. Love compounding audio as you can easily sub mix different types that way. Or you compound all to set master level or master limiter/compression. Because everything can be broken apart again it's also very flexible when the edit has to be revised.

Yes I can see why the trackless world can get confusing when you have multiple audio clips close together. But it is no deal breaker for me.

Is it premature to dismiss FCPx? Everybody has to decide that for themselves. There are different requirements which may influence that decision.
If you use FCP to master for broadcast I think you can't use it now. Either stay with FCP7 or if you want something new now get Premiere or Avid.
If you edit in house like me, but go to post places to master, I think you can use FCPx right now. In fact getting rid of all the broadcast equipment is really liberating. Less gear. Less things that can get obsolete because some bus standard changes or some box is not supported anymore. Less noise and heat in the room. Cheaper overall as you do not need the biggest machines anymore. etc. etc.
I did the same with FCP7 for mastering: Create my final QT master and put it on a hard drive, take it to the studio and let them load it into whatever they use to play it to tape. Really the only problem I see right now, is if you need to provide separate clips plus handles on a timeline to sound post who are using e.g. Protools (you can export stems via roles but no OMF/AAF and Automatic Duck is too expensive and just changed camps anyway. But because they could do it, others will fill the gab) For colour correction you can actually just export a self contained quicktime to eg. Color. Same workflow as in the old days of grading tape to tape. Not ideal but unless somebody writes the X-XML to XML converter, it's the way to go.

I think a big part of my strategy is actually CatDV. Having an independent footage catalogue makes you really immune against dead ends because some software is pulled. CatDV is already supporting FCPx's XML and gives you the possibility to do simple conversions. Haven't tried all the in and outs, but main thing is really that all my footage descriptions don't die with FCP7, or someday with FCPx or FCPxxl or .. :-)

I do like the slim line approach of FCPx. Less is more for my needs. Having Motion is key here too because if you need the SFX you can get it there, but you do not clutter your editing software with it. I had a serious look at the 2 alternatives and I think Avid is still the same as 15 years ago and Premiere's UI is shocking to my eyes :-) and doesn't offer anything better in terms of editing a story. Same goes for Avid by the way. I do not need all the schnick schnack functions and displays. The older I get the more I cherish the strength of the story and not the packaging.

my 2 cents :-)
Cheers

Carsten

Return to posts index

Benjamin Mullins
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:02:49 pm

Some very good points. I think the volume graph adjusting in real time is a nice addition, and I think compounding the audio into single clips will help to solve the messiness of the timeline once many audio clips are added.

Mostly I agree with you on the 'less gear' point. As a freelancer I've never owned, for example, a digibeta deck and have never had the need. I was either brought in to a facility that did, or would simply take a Quicktime to one that did when a broadcast format was required. Equipment like that costs far too much for me to justify the expense. But the ability for my software to be compatible with high end hardware is important, even something as simple as broadcast monitoring. I know promises have been made by Apple, and I would be amazed if the monitoring situation isn't sorted out by early next year, but what I'm thinking is - why put trust in Apple and hope that issues will be addressed when Adobe & Avid can already do these things right now?

Up until this whole X debate began I hadn't used Premiere Pro in about 5 years. I read that big things had been done with it and thought I'd have a look. I dropped some 720p footage onto the timeline, added some colour correction and was able to play it back in real time without needing to render. I was very impressed by that. Obviously it needs to be rendered before or during export but that feature in itself is almost enough to switch (providing the basics are right as well). It kind of annoyed me that Apple touted X as having background rendering when it really doesn't. It renders automatically, but requires user inactivity which essentially is the same as just hitting alt+R in FCP7.

Ben.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:10:45 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "Up until this whole X debate began I hadn't used Premiere Pro in about 5 years. I read that big things had been done with it and thought I'd have a look. I dropped some 720p footage onto the timeline, added some colour correction and was able to play it back in real time without needing to render. I was very impressed by that. Obviously it needs to be rendered before or during export but that feature in itself is almost enough to switch (providing the basics are right as well). It kind of annoyed me that Apple touted X as having background rendering when it really doesn't. It renders automatically, but requires user inactivity which essentially is the same as just hitting alt+R in FCP7."

Yes but FCPX plays clips with CC and FX in realtime without rendering as well in much the same way as PPro. You don't have to wait for clips to render before you play them - and the playback quality of clips is almost as good as the rendered files in most cases, even with heavy CC applied.

Just threw this together

This is 5 layers of video, unrendered, all with colour correction applied including 3 different codecs 1080 XDCam HD 422, XDCam EX and 720 mp4 from a GoPro.

Using an 8 core 2008 Mac Pro with 8GB Ram and Ati Radeon 4870

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:42:08 pm

This is 5 layers of video, unrendered, all with colour correction applied including 3 different codecs 1080 XDCam HD 422, XDCam EX and 720 mp4 from a GoPro.

Using an 8 core 2008 Mac Pro with 8GB Ram and Ati Radeon 4870

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:23:42 pm

[Benjamin Mullins] "I find that once I have several layers of audio down, the timeline becomes very messy and it is not as easy to see where clips are and what they are. In FCP7 for example, I can group all my SFX onto 4 designated tracks and therefore know at a glance where they are (I guess Roles will help with organisation, but not as well in my opinion)."

I prefer FCPX's way of handling audio organizing (although it does need a bit more work).
I've always felt having several layers of audio tracks to be awkward. Scrolling up and down, growing and shrinking tracks to see things, having video and associated audio with many tracks in between has always felt cumbersome.

I think a key comment is your "know at a glance." My question is the "knowing" vs using. With Roles I can see all of whatever tagged purposed and even turn off at will. I think a lot of people are wedded to the "psychology" of tracks as a function. I don't need to see things in rows as long as I can interact with the components as need be.

[Benjamin Mullins] " if I wish to disconnect primary audio I cannot reconnect it afterwards."

I agree with this. For me it's the use of dual mono. I need to disconnect in order to have both available. It should be available in Expand instead as well in Precision editor.

[Benjamin Mullins] "I also find adding audio transitions rather annoying. But I do like having the fader handles on each clip. I suppose I just prefer track based editing when it comes to the audio side of things."

I'm not sure you're noting the same issues I am. For me an Audio crossfade should work the same way as a video dissolve. I can Expand a clip an add a video only dissolve. I can't drop the same Dissolve effect on the audio though. I must detach to do that. To me this is inconsistent UI.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:09:43 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "Is it premature to dismiss FCPx"
I don't like FCPX because I can't do my work with it, but I do not dismiss FCPX (that's the reason why I keep coming to this forum).
I think that a different model for making movies is possible.
The problem of FCPXs model at the present is that:
- Is not comprehensible because is not yet developed (pre-beta version or so).
- Negates other valid models.
- Is aimed for hardware that do not exists yet and for interfaces not yet developed (tactil, voice, brain-chip..)
- Has born tainted by marketing consideration.

[Steve Connor] "Yes but FCPX plays clips with CC and FX in realtime without rendering as well in much the same way as PPro. You don't have to wait for clips to render before you play them - and the playback quality of clips is almost as good as the rendered files in most cases, even with heavy CC applied."
FCP should be doing that if in Cupertino they wouldn't have gone nuts.
Doing things that things that where technically impossible or has being negated to FCP doesn't make of FCPX an option.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 3, 2011 at 7:31:20 pm

[Rafael Amador] "- Is not comprehensible because is not yet developed (pre-beta version or so)."
I don't disagree. There's still a lot missing and some things like Roles could use another round of improvements.

[Rafael Amador] "- Negates other valid models."
It's just another choice. Avid and Premiere have tracks. FCPX does not. I prefer trackless. I've been waiting for something like this for nearly 20 years. At this point it's like arguing over a favorite food.

[Rafael Amador] "- Is aimed for hardware that do not exists yet and for interfaces not yet developed (tactil, voice, brain-chip..)"
I think there's both hardware and software coming but it's true, there are features in FCPX that point to things that don't seem to exist yet. I'll certainly be very happy when they come into existence.

[Rafael Amador] " Has born tainted by marketing consideration. "
Sometimes I think the mismanaged marketing did more to damage the credibility of the product than any missing feature or radical GUI change. It's as if Apple brought back Gil Amelio to head the marketing management team.

[Rafael Amador] "Doing things that things that where technically impossible or has being negated to FCP doesn't make of FCPX an option."

It will once it reaches a mature state sometime next year in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:01:51 pm

"Sometimes I think the mismanaged marketing did more to damage the credibility of the product than any missing feature or radical GUI change."

Absolutely true, especially if your include releasing an alpha product as a marketing decision. There would still be useability issues, it would still not work for everyone, but it would not be facing the kind of scorn in certain markets that it now generates.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:30:44 pm

"Why wait for X to evolve?"

Because Premiere Pro while being a great application, can't do what FCP7 can do for me at the moment. I also had a moment of joy when first trying out Premiere, it's very fast, but then I looked further. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

FCPX is already more useful when exporting video files with multiple audio tracks, which is something I rely on. But there were other things with Premiere bothering me as well. I think we will still purchase some Production bundles. Not for Premiere but for Photoshop and After Effects.

So basically we have 2 ways to go to in the future, either Adobe fixes the shortcomings of Premiere in CS6 and we can upgrade for less money than before or X has evolved by then. I think the future looks bright either way.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:49:13 pm

What specifically do you see as the drawbacks to PPro?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:04:10 pm

-It can't export multiple audio tracks in either Quicktime or MXF only 2 ch. or 6 ch.

-it renders while it sometimes shouldn't render, just copy, for example when exporting to the same codec as the elements in the timeline which have only simple cuts, this lessens the quality of the material.

-Its render quality isn't very good in my humble opinion. It could have been the codec I was using, but 3 rounds of IMX encoding caused very apparent degradation (while the same test with FCPX gave me excellent results, and this was with using rendering, sending it to a compressor preset, not just copying the material to a new container) and I had the image turn blue after another pass (I was told that could be due to the graphics card in my Mac, but it happened on 2 different machines, both with different graphics cards, so it's probably a bug). With ProRes PPro did a bit better, but still less than X.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:04:58 pm

Curious about the list too. Perhaps I can help?
BTW, do be sure to send each improvement to us here at Adobe in the form of a feature request:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:06:41 pm

PPro cannot export multiple channels of embedded audio into Quicktime. But neither can Avid, unless you go through a few workarounds. That's something that FCP does well. And more and more deliverables require multiple channels of embedded audio.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:13:12 pm

Thanks Shane. Thanks Geert. Regarding audio limitations, please file a feature request for audio export: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

About image quality on export, I'd need to know what your settings are.
On rendering when it should not, I assume you are talking about export here, as well?

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Oct 3, 2011 at 9:24:40 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Thanks Shane. Thanks Geert. Regarding audio limitations, please file a feature request for audio export: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

About image quality on export, I'd need to know what your settings are.
On rendering when it should not, I assume you are talking about export here, as well?"

I did certainly file a feature request. However I also mentioned the weird render behaviour at the Premiere forum on the Cow and then it was very silent from the Adobe camp.

And you're right, I meant rendering on export. My settings were very simple. I had a Quicktime file with IMX50 codec. I made a new sequence with settings based on that file by dropping it on the icon which creates a new sequence based on the file. And then I exported that same segment again from PPro, trying several things. First I'd assume that match sequence would automatically select the same output as input format, not sure what it did make of it, because it's a while ago, and my trial is over, but it didn't do as expected. I then selected Quicktime and the IMX50 codec and ticked maximum render quality at the bottom (and I didn't use the preview files). I did this for a couple of generations and then my initial enthousiasm was gone, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:02:21 pm

Thanks for filing that feature request.

I'm sorry you didn't get your answers on the Cow's Premiere Pro forum regarding your image quality issue. I'm not sure what happened as we have many experts and even a few Adobe staff members hanging around there. I recommend a re-post if you wish to get it solved. When I see it, I'll be sure to draw some experts to your answer.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kristin Leys
on Oct 4, 2011 at 3:02:07 am

And this thread has perfectly illustrated why I'll never trust Apple with my business again.

Someone from Adobe has chimed in.

When I have questions about Adobe or Avid products, I get to talk to people who can help me. People from the company making the products. And people who will influence the direction of future versions.

Apple is a blank wall. A sprinkling of the foulest PR spin. And nothing, absolutely nothing else.

So no, I wouldn't wait for FCPx to 'evolve', since the people responsible refuse to explain where they've started from, let alone where they want to go.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:56:20 am

@Kristin Perfectly illustrates the difference between pretending to care about users and actually doing something to help them, eh ?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Oct 4, 2011 at 5:04:29 am

Sounds like hedidn't have max render quality checked on export of if he had effects on the clips, that "Render at maximum bit depth" wasn't turned on... Or he had "Use Previews" turned on.
David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Annefelt
on Oct 4, 2011 at 5:35:12 am

[David Cherniack] "Sounds like hedidn't have max render quality checked on export of if he had effects on the clips, that "Render at maximum bit depth" wasn't turned on... Or he had "Use Previews" turned on.
David
AllinOneFilms.com"

Ah! The 'Render at maximum bit depth' check box.
I've always checked that in Media Encoder but never had a clue what it does.
Nor why it should be turned off by default. Anyone care to educate me?
(I mean, it sounds cool - like Turbo Quality™ or something. Probably could charge extra for it.)

regards
.-daniel

Daniel Annefelt
Producer, Creative & Design
MTV Networks North

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:31:43 am

[David Cherniack] "Sounds like hedidn't have max render quality checked on export of if he had effects on the clips, that "Render at maximum bit depth" wasn't turned on... Or he had "Use Previews" turned on. "

If you had carefully read my post, you'd seen that I mentioned that I had those checked!

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:34:19 am

[Kevin Monahan] "I'm sorry you didn't get your answers on the Cow's Premiere Pro forum regarding your image quality issue. I'm not sure what happened as we have many experts and even a few Adobe staff members hanging around there. I recommend a re-post if you wish to get it solved. When I see it, I'll be sure to draw some experts to your answer."

I will surely do that if we get the bundles in, then I can continue testing this, as I am very fond of the titling tools in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:33:28 pm

"...you don't have to do anything, It just works......"

an Apple Quote

-_-

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 5, 2011 at 8:29:34 am

I feel like we're going in circles. It's Groundhog day again. Every day I wake up thinking there will be new posts, and it's the same old thing.

I've gone through the stages of grief with FCX. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. My problem is that once I get to acceptance, I start editing a project and go through the entire cycle all over again.

Apple did a stupid thing. Several stupid things. However, their new product is fairly amazing. In my opinion, it gets us closer to performing the "final cut" within the single app than the legacy version. FCP7 had dodgy audio effects, weak scopes and color tools. Between the powerful audio effects, the scopes and the ability to create our own looks in motion, this fairly rocks.

I'm convinced that they want this new product to be a product for pros. Does the casual user really need red support? XML export? High-end logic effects? Sub-frame audio editing? Multi-track export? Professional broadcast monitor support?

I'm also convinced that calling this Final Cut 10 is completely false advertising. This isn't iMovie, but it's also not FCP. This is version 1 of a brand new software that will hopefully not take 10 years to get us back to where we were with FCP7. It WILL take time to evolve. It will probably take lots of time.

After 3 months, we got back the ability to export multiple tracks, and some bug fixes, but no movement on the litany of things the pros want and need to do their jobs. I like roles, but I was hoping for so much more. Even with the bug fixes, I'm still getting crashes.

Honestly, I could be very happy working between FCP7 and FCX except for one thing. If my edit starts stalling in X, I have no way of finishing in 7 or vice versa. I never had that worry with the FCP upgrades, because they always added features, never taking them away.

I'm still using X. I love the speed of the basic editing. I really enjoy the skimmer, and even the filmstrip view. I like the keywords, and the ease of filtering the clips with the search box. I love the timeline index. I never want to go back to converting everything to prores before I edit it.

I still believe they could have added this all to FCP7 without the giant paradigm shift, and they would have left the other NLEs in the dust. As it is, I'm trying to imagine how to explain to other editors in my shop why it's worth the headache of learning a new paradigm, if the application can't do many of the things we need it to do without many awkward workarounds and added efforts.

Apple said they will add multicam in early 2012, along with professional broadcast monitoring. At this rate, I figure it will be 2016 before I see things get close to where they were before June 21.

Meanwhile, I'm still using FCX as well as FCP7. I purchased Creative Suite 5.5 while it's half price, but haven't started learning it in earnest. I expect that shortly after the price goes back up, a new version will come out, and by the time I spend the money to upgrade I'll be close to the price of the new product.

Try X. If you like it, use it. If you don't, keep using 7, or bite the bullet, curse Apple and start learning PP or Avid. I don't expect Apple will ever go back and give us FCP8. They will lose lots of customers, who will spend lots of money switching over their systems. They will also continue to improve their new little monster, and probably gain alot of new customers as well.

In my opinion, Apple demonstrated contempt and disrespect with their brash dismissal of tracks and their unwillingness to speak about what they did, forcing us to worry about what to do to keep our futures safe. However, there are many things about X that delight me, and bring the fun back to my editing process. There are at least as many things that frustrate me and make me take more time to do things that were simple and straightforward in 7.

To put it bluntly: She may be a bitch, but man is she ever hot.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]