FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just opened FCPX for the first time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brassert
Just opened FCPX for the first time
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:36:26 pm

I decided to download the trial of 10.0.1 this week. Now I understand why everyone is so bummed. Talk about reinventing the wheel. I really would have been happy with a 64bit, multiprocessor aware version of 7, with a few tweaks here and there, like a moving timeline and things like that. I know I am late in this assessment but I really don't see how this application can ever really be usable in a professional post environment without evolving it back to where 7 is now. I haven't seen a mistake this bad since New Coke. ( although some say that was calculated.)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: Just opened FCPX for the first time
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:50:16 pm

It's a reprehensible piece of software for anyone who wants the freedom and creativity of a multi-track based NLE

Never have I felt so encumbered with illogical non-sense like the redonkulous autoscrubber, dumbed down mag timeline, a missing viewer, and having to fill gaps in and a malformed position tool. Que banjos

It blows. It is really the end for Apple in any enterprise niche.

Randy should be fired. Apple should apologize for the absolute disingenuous rollout and deceptions at NAB. They should be chastised for ANY attempt in the future to market ANY of their branding using pros.

The hard ware is probably next. They are just lucky their products can perform even in the laptop level today to meet professional needs. But now the price doesn't justify their deceptions and discontent they have shown the professional user base they were happy enough to spooge off branding their products for years...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52:12 pm

It's like day 1 all over again

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:31:28 pm

Just scrolling the first page and seeing the pejoratives thrown at the unhappy, and made to eat dirt, users as if they are just inventing those very tired insults today proves this...

My tired ol rants will live on as long as this deformed reject of a software breathes and people still throne it with a kings party hat as the revolution to...whatever they think it revolutionized...twatter-verse maybe

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:48:01 pm

Look down DOuble post sorry

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:56:41 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "The hard ware is probably next. They are just lucky their products can perform even in the laptop level today to meet professional needs. But now the price doesn't justify their deceptions and discontent they have shown the professional user base they were happy enough to spooge off branding their products for years..."

Couldn't Agree more...After Lions release its CLEAR where Apple is heading, NO more Desktops, Imacs or laptops, Just, iTV, ipad,iPhone, and iFridge.....

[Jamie Franklin] "Randy should be fired" /agree

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:53:33 am

[Greg Burke] "Couldn't Agree more...After Lions release its CLEAR where Apple is heading, NO more Desktops, Imacs or laptops, Just, iTV, ipad,iPhone, and iFridge....."

This rhetoric is exaggerated but not entirely off-base. However, it ignores the larger context. The entire industry is moving away from traditional desktop environments. They won't disappear overnight, but the direction is clear. Look at what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 -- it boots by default into a radically simplified "touch-first" interface, that only runs app store apps, with the traditional desktop relegated to legacy status. Consider that tablets could easily be over 30% of PC units within two years. Personal computing is changing, fast, in a way it hasn't in 20 years. Everyone is going to have to respond, including NLE vendors. Apple is simply moving first; they understand this shift better than anyone because one of their own products, the iPad, was the catalyst.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:57:43 pm

[Jamie Franklin] Que banjos

LOL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:59:44 pm

Welcome to the learning curve, dude.

Tough it out or dive out. We've all had to face the same decision.

This is not the old FCP in any way shape or form.

Some have come to see the potential. Some can't see any potential at all.

Nobody will know who's right until the dust clears in a few years.

Ain't change wonderful!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:03:02 pm

I was just going to suggest reading the last couple of pages of posts. It'll be like riding a time machine into the future!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:24:25 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I was just going to suggest reading the last couple of pages of posts. It'll be like riding a time machine into the future!
"

Well, the other option is for us to become One Infinite Loop.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:46:08 pm

Allow me to summarize.

Anyone who likes the program also likes Kool-aid a lot

Anyone who doesn't like the program eats gruel from wooden bowls.

The rest is just a bunch of boring technical stuff.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:50:50 pm

[Jim Giberti] "Allow me to summarize.

Anyone who likes the program also likes Kool-aid a lot

Anyone who doesn't like the program eats gruel from wooden bowls.

The rest is just a bunch of boring technical stuff"

Nicely Said...But I enjoy My bowl of Gruel....

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:57:27 pm

A bit too flawed in my estimation because of the use of two "old school" references trying to describe two things neither one of which is essentially "old school."

Perhaps...

Anyone who likes the program also likes Sushi a lot.

Anyone who doesn't like the program likes Steak a lot.

Both are rational choices. Both will keep them from hunger.

But they approach the issue of "feeding" people from very different perspectives.

Yes, it's lame, but I think closer to accurate than the original.

YMMV.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:02:55 pm

Sorry Bill, I forgot to mention the people who over-think things.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:11:50 pm

Yeah, you're correct.

I stopped writing my magazine column years ago, and sometimes it's almost like I'm compelled to type even when I don't have a real reason to.

Personal flaw I'll readily admit to.

But also, it's a personal habit that when I see an endless steam of thinking in one direction, like lots of people, I try to see if there's another view worth articulating.

Contrarianism?

Probably.

And not meant to be personal at all.

Peace.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:25:03 pm

I'm with ya Bill.
As a creative director and head writer I've spent a career either critiquing or defending ideas.

But I wasn't going in any one direction. To the contrary, I was taking the middle road.

Besides, using your metaphorical standards, meat and fish have been around a bit longer than flavored drink mixes.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:13:17 pm

[Bill Davis] "Anyone who likes the program also likes Sushi a lot.

Anyone who doesn't like the program likes Steak a lot.
"

LOL. Well, you got me there. Of course, I'm very fond of tempura and teriyaki, so that moves me at least a little more to the middle.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:41:57 pm

There's a Star Trek parody in here somewhere...

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:49:36 pm

[Bill Davis] "This is not the old FCP in any way shape or form."

Then why call it FCP? o right the Marketing department wanted the consumer to feel Pro.

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:07:04 pm

I could start a list...

Because you want to signal an existing base that something they love IS changing...

Because you don't want to double- answer questions about what will happen to an old thing AND a new thing simultaneously...

Because you already own lots and lots of perfectly defensible IP under the old brand...

Because you don't have to change the engineering teams' business cards... (yes haters, this one's a joke.)

Because while you will damage a lot of "good will" in a particular segment of the market - the counterbalancing good will the brand brings to the new product is perceived as solving more problems for the overall enterprise than it creates....

I can go on and on, but it's all pure speculation.

Heck, maybe it's because mighty Apple is just like the rest of us, searched a hundred alternate names and discovered that ALL of those names were already grabbed up by domain squatters...
(yes, that too was a joke.)

The truth is that we're OUTSIDE. So we will likely never get an INSIDE view unless someone on the team writes a book - and then we'll only get their view.

Such is modern life.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:37:47 pm

[Bill Davis] "The truth is that we're OUTSIDE. So we will likely never get an INSIDE view unless someone on the team writes a book - and then we'll only get their view. "

I would kill to read that book.

I would quietly kill a cat to read that book - humanly - but, for the pages, I think.. I would kill that cat.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:43:11 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Bill Davis] "The truth is that we're OUTSIDE. So we will likely never get an INSIDE view unless someone on the team writes a book - and then we'll only get their view. "

I would kill to read that book.

I would quietly kill a cat to read that book - humanly - but, for the pages, I think.. I would kill that cat.
"

NO CATS WERE HARMED IN THE PROCESS OF THIS DRAMATIC EXHALTATION

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:58:21 pm

Writing in support of the ASPCA disclaimer....

I spent 10 years making hundreds of corporate video for PetSmart - and learned that animals are often actually quite superior to many people in subtle and not so subtle ways. It's that talking thing that constantly lets them be woefully underrated, IMO.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:22:40 am

I feel I should say - the cat contained in that sentence is ok - she is purring - and she is ok.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:37:52 am

Aindreas -

You make it worth turning on the computer in the morning.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:06:27 am

to you sir.

lo cry! we beat cupertino doors, and pray get a functional application.

two functional providers left standing, with one near insolvent, is el bad painting.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:06:22 am

What if the engineers or programmers who were working on FCPX were brought in to believe that they were working on iMovie Pro?

Then at the last minute, marketing bursts in and says, "Hey hey hey!!! We're gonna change the name to Final Cut Pro X!!"

With the words poisoning the air, the engineers, one by one, starts to question, "what? Why?". Now knowing they have been bamboozled, they quickly start on coding features needed such as exporting xml and omf.

What the engineers didn't know is that Apple has recently aqcuired a marijuana farm and marketing has been hording.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Michael Brassert
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:57:36 am

You have to wonder how much damage has been done to the Apple brand. I know we are not as many as iphone users but FCP was in some ways a flagship app that showcased apple technology. It is important to their brand. Perhaps this is all good. I never liked companies that got too big and too arrogant. I am sure there is someone out there lurking right now developing the killer editing application that we will all be using in a few years. I bet it won't be one of the three A's.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:10:49 am

[Michael Brassert]You have to wonder how much damage has been done to the Apple brand.

I would say: not much. Apple is far above now a consumer gadget company, and boy do we love those gadgets. A very small (REALLY small) segment of Apple's customer base is miffed at them for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:46:10 am

[Gary Huff] "
I would say: not much. Apple is far above now a consumer gadget company, and boy do we love those gadgets. A very small (REALLY small) segment of Apple's customer base is miffed at them for FCPX."

There is a lot of irony to be had though.

10 minutes watching 5 longterm iphone users fumble over their touchpad keyboards to spell a somewhat complicated pizza restaurant to place an order while my trusty tactile "luddite" blackberry was able to do the same task and place the order in 5 seconds.

Or watching the buffering on moms ipad constantly, or the blank flash video.

Further, watching the bars highlight for that wifi signal on the ipad while my laptop has already loaded the page, all ads and the video advertisement has finished playing while the ipad user gets up and walks around trying to improve that 3g signal...and I already have another 5 tabs loaded and writing this...

Every iphone user I talk to live breaking up and having to constantly repeat themselves on my clear as polished glass blackberry that does fine on the same carrier...

and the irony continues...

Give me a tactile keyboard and a clear signal over a fancier gadget. Give me a i7 laptop with a decent sized screen to see what I'm doing over a 1ghz low ram, touchy screen that has a ridiculously small screen for anything but hi-def angry birds...

The gadgets will win. The frustrations will mount. And I'll be on craigslist buying those luddite 15", i7 macbook pros for the next 5-10 years

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:12:24 am

[Michael Brassert] "FCP was in some ways a flagship app that showcased apple technology."

I have to disagree. Fcp7 is and was old. It couldn't harness the power of their own computing hardware. Color was the newest tech in the suite, and it was purchased.

FCPX is showcasing apples tech, for better or worse, but it's a ground up Apple, Inc. product.

[Michael Brassert] "I am sure there is someone out there lurking right now developing the killer editing application that we will all be using in a few years. I bet it won't be one of the three A's."

Really curious about Lightworks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:19:41 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Fcp7 is and was old. It couldn't harness the power of their own computing hardware. Color was the newest tech in the suite, and it was purchased. FCPX is showcasing apples tech, for better or worse, but it's a ground up Apple, Inc. product."

I think from a technology perspective, FCPX and Motion are very impressive indeed. They make great use of the hardware, and they really showcase what developers can build on core Mac OS X APIs.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:27:37 am

[Walter Soyka] "and they really showcase what developers can build on core Mac OS X APIs."

Uh oh. Hear come the spears. ;-)

Return to posts index

Michael Brassert
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:06:58 am

The market will work all this out.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:13:48 am

Its a new app. Not an upgrade.
The more you study, the more you will cool off.
If you dont want to learn, premiere is great for you!
Fcpx has great potential for a 1.0 version.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:35:59 am

What exactly is Kool-aid?

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:07:33 pm

Oh yeah!

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:20:44 pm

Good, in order to drink the cool-aid we must wham our macs first!

I'm starting to like the idea of having it now...Very good!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 29, 2011 at 4:52:27 pm

[Christian Schumacher] "Good, in order to drink the cool-aid we must wham our macs first!

I'm starting to like the idea of having it now...Very good!

"

And by whamming our Macs, we make room for newer, faster, smaller macs. Repeat: 1 infinite loop

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:15:16 pm

Notice, the Kool-Aid is still consumed.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 29, 2011 at 5:26:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Notice, the Kool-Aid is still consumed.

"

Indeed.

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 30, 2011 at 10:34:36 pm

FCPX has been working very well here at our TV station. And yes, we are making money with it. Thought I would start a personal project using FCP7 the other day ... after about 1/2 an hour, I moved the media over to my other partition and stated over in FCPX. It was a breath of fresh air.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:23:27 pm

[shawn Bockoven] "FCPX has been working very well here at our TV station. And yes, we are making money with it. Thought I would start a personal project using FCP7 the other day ... after about 1/2 an hour, I moved the media over to my other partition and stated over in FCPX. It was a breath of fresh air."

Well, good for you. I can see FCP X being useful in a PEG environment. Are you a full PEG station there at METV? Or exclusively educational? I'm guessing METV stands for Merced Educational TV. Also, how are you making money with FCP X? It looks like your station is subsidized. Do you rent your edit bays out or something? Or do you do local commercial work?

Having worked in a PEG station myself once upon a time, I can say without any doubt that FCP X is a valid--and potentially very useful--choice for that environment. I'd love to hear more about how you are working it in, and how some of the local high-schoolers/college students are making use of it.

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 30, 2011 at 11:41:08 pm

We have a production department that in not funded by public money. Our growth has not been funded by public money. The production staff have done some incredible things over the last ten years. We have produced video for clients all over California and a few other states. Our clients include commercial, private, government and education. We do rent our equipment, but staff must go with to avoid insurance issues. Mostly rent out or crew and grip truck.

We manage all of the local PEG channels and are affiliated with PBS. This facility is operated very much like a commercial station. Three studios, a new HD production truck, grip truck, audio booth and multiple edit suites. METV is ... unique!

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:31:59 pm

I can send you a few links to some national videos we are working on. s bockoven @ mcoe dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]