FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Burch
Multiclip in FCPX?
on May 27, 2011 at 8:57:12 pm

First of all let me say that I am completely stoked about the new FCP interface. I watched the long version of the presentation online and it seems like every change Apple has made has been due to careful thought about how to improve their aging software. That is why I will be devastated if the new version has done away with multiclip editing. To me, that would be an absolute deal-breaker, as over 90% of what I do heavily involves multiclip. I am hopeful that it will still be integrated somehow (that was just a preview of NEW features, after all), but something about new way clips are displayed worried me. Mutliclip would be useless without a real-time preview of all angles involved, and that would require something akin to the preview window that seems to have been done away with.

Does anybody have any info or thoughts on this? I REALLY want to use this new software, but if there is no multiclip I can't justify the purchase for the one or two projects I might do a year that won't need it.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Multiclip in FCPX?
on May 27, 2011 at 9:27:21 pm

Nobody knows. We'll just have to wait and see. It may be gone; it may be there is some different form. There are a lot of sliding panels, and HUDs, and popups in this app as you saw.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 29, 2011 at 4:32:57 pm

yeah - multiclip is an editing incarnation of a two camera IV, or live music shoot. I don't think apple are going to do away with FCPs ability to deal with those two scenarios, because that would be insane on the - sticking celery in my ears and running around backwards level -
but as tom says there tho, I think they're pretty intensely keen for us to wave farewell to the source viewer, so its more a question of how they go about implementing multiclip in the new GUI paradigm. The one thing that occurs randomly is that they took the entire effects and motion panel out of the source viewer before they blew it up and attached it as a timeline clip attached pop up hud thing. I didn't actually think that was massively elegant but there you go - also auditioning is a fairly complex thing happening as a pop up of sorts too.. it may well be that multiclip follows some variation of this new behaviour?

still - no matter what way you cut it - i've got to be able to see 2,3,4,5+ sets of synced source material and the playout at the same time for multiclip to work. The source viewer was rather handy there. I can only think, given that logic, that we get a hud source viewer in everything but name for the occasion.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on May 31, 2011 at 1:50:49 pm

I wouldn't be supprised if it has it's own Window or Tool Pane for Multiclip. Also with them using Grand Central I am hoping for full resolution viewing like we see in Multi viewers.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 31, 2011 at 2:35:39 pm

I think based on what we DID see at the first demo, the comkponents are in there to enable multiclip, but it may look and work different from what you're used to. OTOH, I think it could probably be better, if it leverages some of the tools we've already seens and know are in there: the automaric audio alignment, for example, isn't just applicable to a single track with wild sound, but obviously could be used to synch multiple tracks as well, if time codes don't match up.
Look, there is nothing to do but wait, itm is pointless to crank yourself up prematurely when there is nothing you can do about it anyhow. It will either be awesome, or it won't. Either you'll stay with the older FCP until it's non-viable, or you will change platform, if X doesn't work for you. Fact is, the day X is released "for realz", what's working for you *today* will not disappear in a puff of smoke on that day. Life will continue. Work will continue. No need for an artificial sense of needing to rush to judgement on day 1.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 31, 2011 at 2:46:36 pm

Mark's right on the money. Unless you have $300 disposable income that you don't mind falling out of your pocket, I wouldn't suggest you buy FCPX on day one. First, it's going to be a beta release as we all know, and second, there's going to be a lot of information coming down the road after its release that will give you a better handle on whether or not this is going to work for you. I don't think FCP7 is set to self-destruct on the release of FCPX, and 7 will probably continue to work into the next OS.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:59:16 am

Video is my work. It is also my hobby (sad, I know) so I'll spend the money to play with it at home.

Mind you, I also shelled out for the Mac OS X Public Beta and OS X 10.0.

I prefer the term "dedicated Mac user". "Fanboy" sounds demeaning.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 3, 2011 at 3:53:51 pm

The thing is, I would actually like to upgrade to X asap if it supports multiclip editing, because the features I have seen will save me a ton of time. It's not that I'm saying "I can't go on without upgrading"; I know that the current version of FCP works just fine. I would just hate to have to miss out on all the innovations Apple has included in the new version due to their decision to remove the viewer window.

That being said, I'm am more than willing to learn a new workflow for multiclip editing, assuming it works just as well. I just don't see how that is possible if the new workflow doesn't include simultaneous realtime viewing of all angles. My main reason for this post was merely to see what people's opinions were; I know that nobody knows for certain yet.

Return to posts index

Lloyd Claycomb
on Jun 22, 2011 at 4:21:13 am

Total disappointment. No multiclip in Final Cut Pro X. Are you serious? Most everything I do is multiclip.

UNREAL, Apple!

Return to posts index

michel pinto
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:55:55 am

Don't worry ...they'll probably add multiclip in their upgrades....by the time were done with their upgrades we'll have paid the usual grand!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]