FORUMS: list search recent posts

#FCPX feature request

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
#FCPX feature request
on May 26, 2011 at 4:21:47 pm

Fix the G.D. ease in/ease out capability.

No, I don't want to go to Motion.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: #FCPX feature request
on May 26, 2011 at 5:39:25 pm

Yes...and fix all the other stuff too.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 26, 2011 at 11:56:35 pm

Without checking, it looks like paths have splines now like in AE. I'd put good money down that this is incorporated. And by good money, I mean somebody elses.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 27, 2011 at 7:09:59 pm

FCP has had splines in the canvas since v1. They have sucked ever since.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 27, 2011 at 2:41:51 am

Seriously? A FCPX feature request?

How about this one: "RELEASE THE SOFTWARE ALREADY"

There, that's my request.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Dane Cannon
on May 27, 2011 at 4:15:00 pm

lolz... srsly tho. i'm so sick every day of googling "fcp x news."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 27, 2011 at 7:13:00 pm

Quit googling. If you don't see it on the cow or macrumors, it's not news.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2011 at 7:15:36 pm

Jeff:

Return to posts index

David Burch
on May 27, 2011 at 8:54:14 pm

I will just be happy if they didn't nix multiclip editing. Without it, I won't be using FCPX (and I REALLY want to).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 27, 2011 at 11:45:57 pm

I'm unconcerned about multiclip as of now, because I can see how the new magnetic timeline concept, automatic audio line-up they talked about, and film strip views could actually make the easier to do. Likely it will look different, but I expect something like multiclip is in there, maybe in a little different form factor.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on May 28, 2011 at 1:40:48 am

Trying to edit a 2 hour, 3 camera shoot using the filmstrip and without a multi-view monitor would be an absolute nightmare. As it is now, it works a lot like a live switcher, which I like. I'm sure the new features can be used intelligently to make multiclip better, but without being able to see and switch multiple angles simultaneously and in real time it's a no-go. I would end up not using the new FCX enough to justify even the $300 price, which would be a REAL shame, because I like everything else about it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 28, 2011 at 2:01:05 am

Okay David, we get it. We heard you the sixth time. Just wait a few weeks and you'll actually know how it's going to work.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 28, 2011 at 2:47:43 am

Have you ever used any other NLE's muticlip functionality David? It sounds like you're just a bit hung up on FCP's current methodology is all. Relax a little, you may be pleasantly surprised by the future functionality.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 28, 2011 at 3:18:15 am

[Andy Mees] "Relax a little, you may be pleasantly surprised by the future functionality.
"

I agree with you Andy. David Burch and others who are in love with the way FCP works now might be surprised to discover that changes might bring a world of good things.

I think multiclip/multi-cam functionality, which was an afterthought in previous versions of FCP, actually needs improvement, and hopefully it will be improved in FCP X. Perhaps the new nesting concept, whatever the name was I've now forgotten, could be the gateway for that and for other vast improvements in other areas of functionality.

But, who knows? Certainly not me...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:00:57 pm

You misunderstand. I'm all for learning new workflows, but whatever the changes are multiclip simply will not function without simultaneous viewing of all angles. Perhaps you don't work with multiclip enough to appreciate this, but I can assure you that without this feature, however it's implemented, multiclip would be broken. I agree that the current implementation could use improvement, particularly in regards to working with different types of source media. I am looking forward to almost all of the changes I have seen in FCX so far, so don't get the idea that I'm "in love with the way FCP works right now".

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 28, 2011 at 12:27:40 pm

Yes, features that actually work properly would be nice. If it had a function that would
wipe all traces of Soundtrack Pro from my memory that would also be nice.

bigpine

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 28, 2011 at 2:34:56 pm

[TImothy Auld] "If it had a function that would
wipe all traces of Soundtrack Pro from my memory that would also be nice.
"

I'm interested in exactly why you say that Timothy? The one time I really committed to using it, I had continuous crashing that made STP impossible.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 28, 2011 at 3:04:29 pm

David,

I used it off and on just to process short clips here and there and aside from inexplicable
level issues between FCP and STP it worked ok for that. It was when I tried to use it to
actually mix a project (and not that long - 82 minutes) that things went seriously south.
It seems we had the same experience with crashes and stultifyingly slow performance.
A useless waste of hard drive space. How is it that Logic can work so well and STP so badly?

Tim

bigpine

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2011 at 12:27:26 am

[TImothy Auld] "It was when I tried to use it to
actually mix a project (and not that long - 82 minutes) that things went seriously south."

Bingo!!! That was my experience. Really pissed me off too, cuz I studied a tutorial completely for days and learned the entire app, only to find out I couldn't use it in the end.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 29, 2011 at 12:36:27 am

How's your experience with it been for shorter 30 minute projects? Any guesses/guidelines as to exactly how big a project / number of stems etc before it starts to fall apart?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2011 at 12:39:04 am

Hey Andy!

I broke my project into 10-minute chunks to no avail. Then tried 8-min chunks with no luck either. To make my deadline I had to finally give up and mix in FCP.

Believe me, I did everything I know from a technical standpoint, including a reinstall from the ground up and switching between three different sets of Matrox drivers. Finally just gave up.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 29, 2011 at 12:49:56 am

Bugger. Had been planning on using STP extensively in the near future. You note juggling Matrox drivers, could the I/O box/drivers have been part of the problem at all? They've had many issues along the way with the audio drivers on those units (CoreAudio related I think). Did you try without the MXO2 installed at all, and if so, was it any stabler? Thanks for your insight David.
Andy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2011 at 1:21:07 am

[Andy Mees] " Did you try without the MXO2 installed at all, and if so, was it any stabler?"

I also thought about that Andy and tested after uninstalling the Matrox drivers too. No luck there either.

I think you should at least give STP a try to see if you get the same crashing and kernel panics I was getting. I frankly don't think it's possible that you won't have the same issues, but I'd like to be proven wrong on this if at all possible.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 29, 2011 at 5:26:07 pm

Wow, Im surprised that everyones has had such a bad experience with STP. I do short form / commercials (30 sec to 5 min) on a Mac Pro I and I have NEVER had any of the variety of problems mentioned in this thread. I love its sophisticated tools and the wealth of SFX in the library. The loops are pretty great for creating soundtracks for projects. I guess either the time frame I work in or the platform I work on have insulated me from the nightmare you guys have experienced.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 29, 2011 at 5:43:27 pm

[Tom Daigon] " I guess either the time frame I work in or the platform I work on have insulated me from the nightmare you guys have experienced."

Short-form, or 30-second movies as I like to call 'em, undoubtedly helps Tom. And, to be fair, the project I was working on was one initiated by someone other than me, and it's possible that project was the source of some of the STP evil I encountered.

BTW, although very few FCS users use STP, I actually think it's got a lot of nice features. I particularly like the ease of use in auditioning elements in the STP library. There's no clicking and hitting play involved at all, just move the cursor, an item is selected and it plays. Way better and more efficient than the FCP browser.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on May 30, 2011 at 5:02:26 pm

I know this doesn't help you guys in terms of roundtripping to FCP, but in the course of my weekly work I have to edit the audio on a 30-40 sermon for a podcast. I tried to do it in STP, but it was so cumbersome, that I gave up, but then (because like every good Final Cut Editor, I also own the Adobe Production bundle) I discovered Adobe Audition. It is so intuitive and works a lot like a video editor. A great application!

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 3, 2011 at 8:55:55 am

[Tom Daigon] " I have NEVER had any of the variety of problems mentioned in this thread"

I entirely second that - I use STP pretty much everyday (for short form work from 30 seconds up to about 10 minutes) and it works perfectly. In fact, I also have ProTools, the industry standard for audio post (which I have used professionally for more than ten years), but I would always prefer to work in STP given the choice both for speed and functionality.

Compared to ProTools 9, it's insanely good value. The list of features that you have built in that in ProTools 9 would cost you many hundreds if not thousands of dollars extra in PT, are simply amazing: noise reduction; reconform (incredibly good and useful!), 5.1 mixing (yes, PT will charge you around $2K extra for the privilege!); a wealth of great sounding plug-ins (the basic PT will give you just one type of EQ and one type of compressor, all the rest you have to buy); a great library of sound effects and music loops. I would also say that PT is just a liable, if not more so, to instability. (ProTools has so far cost me thousands of dollars, whereas STP has cost me effectively none since I didn't actually choose to buy it!)

So I'm amazed to see this thread where people have queued up to chorus: "I tried it once and it doesn't work". If the same comment were to be made on the FCP forum it would justifiably be shot down in flames, but because it's about STP which non-one knows anything about it's apparently fine to say it.

Looks like you'll all get your wish, though. I have no doubt Apple will hear your comments and a really great product will go the way of Shake and be no more. What's the point in Apple developing it any further when no-one can be bothered to learn it properly?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:38:53 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "So I'm amazed to see this thread where people have queued up to chorus: "I tried it once and it doesn't work"."

So Simon, then let me ask you, what would you write here in the following instance?

If you were me, and you clearly knew your way under the hood of a Mac, and you rebuilt that Mac from the ground up, because STP made it crash constantly, even when all other apps run perfectly, and it kept crashing. Then, after four days of troubleshooting, without ever finding a solution, you finally had to revert to other less desirable software.

Please, let me know, what do you think I should have written? I'm all ears...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:06:17 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Please, let me know, what do you think I should have written?"

Look, David, I know you're fantastically knowledgeable when it comes to FCP and many other matters come to that (and I've benefitted from that knowledge frequently, as we all have), but that's why I am surprised at your position in this case!

I'd say that your particular problem could have been down to corrupt media or a corrupt project (which can cause serious difficulties in STP as it can in many other applications, as I'm sure you know, but which are usually fairly easy to resolve), but without knowing a lot more about the details I couldn't say for sure.

But if someone had written in the FCP forum that they were new to FCP and were having problems that led them to believe that the software itself was fundamentally defective (as you appear to be suggesting in the case of STP), I am sure you would have dealt with them appropriately!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:48:11 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "if someone had written in the FCP forum that they were new to FCP and were having problems that led them to believe that the software itself was fundamentally defective (as you appear to be suggesting in the case of STP), I am sure you would have dealt with them appropriately!"

You right about that Simon, but only because my years of experience with troubleshooting FCP have shown me that it is a) fundamentally rock solid, and b) that "pilot error" is the main source of most, but not all, issues that arise under it's hood.

STP unfortunately never made it out of the starting gate, and the crashing experience I encountered was verified by a number of trusted editors, some of whom actually do put up with it in spite of the crashes.

In any case, I don't like to write negative reviews, because I'd much rather write about products that I do like; it makes me much happier. And, I am a very good troubleshooter, so I can usually can find workarounds, which allows me to help others when they might encounter issues. However, if I do write about something that I've done my best to troubleshoot, and I just can't get it to work, I try to be as factual as I can about the problems I encounter, and I often write retractions if I find a fix or if the issues are fixed by the manufacturer.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:08:23 pm

I'll add to that chorus. I had to buy Logic because STP would crash nearly every time I tried saving my project. Granted, I was working with feature-length projects with at least 8 continuous tracks (up to 40 for some projects), but I still thought this problem was unacceptable, considering Logic handled the same amount of tracks and duration with ease. I now use it only for simple, single-track editing that I can round-trip from FCP. Anything more complicated I send to Logic.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on May 29, 2011 at 6:58:54 pm

Okay I feel better. I tried it once and it was completely unstable, unlike Logic which has been rock solid in my experience.

David A Fenton

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 30, 2011 at 1:51:17 am

I use both Logic and STP and both have been rock solid .

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]