FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixed audio tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Dills
Fixed audio tracks
on May 26, 2011 at 4:10:30 pm

From the meeting of the Boston FCPUG last night a highlight for me was:

"He heard (from an informed source) that there's still a way to create fixed audio tracks, so you can have set tracks for V.O, music, SFX, etc. Handy for those that have to output to something like ProTools for a final mix. "

The "He" being Phillip Hodgetts, who spoke to the group, and did say what he had to say could be an educated guess and was under a NDA.

Still interesting.

http://miketomei.blogspot.com/2011/05/boston-final-cut-pro-users-group.html

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Fixed audio tracks
on May 26, 2011 at 8:42:00 pm

I'm sure we all have images in our brains as to how this would be handled. There might be other ways besides fixed tracks during editing.

Another would involve metadata with source clips designated so that when exporting (or even a method to re-arrange) tracks would assign such that VO, music, SFX, SOT, get assigned to specific track groupings so that something like ProTools or other DAW would see them as discreet assigned tracks.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 29, 2011 at 10:18:25 pm

I'm guessing there will be an AAF OMF file option like Logic does it as well as a traditional OMF. The locked tracks are probably going to be an option, too.
If you have Logic, go into that and look around a bit. It's probably the best indicator as to what we can expect with FCPX as it's the most advanced 64bit application outside of OSX that we can look at as an example of Apple's thought process for new pro applications.

Last month we had a last minute mix that needed to be done and none of our OMF's would work correctly out of FCPX in my mixer's protools session. After about the 6th export, it occurred to me to try importing the FCP omf into Logic, and then exporting that as an AAF OMF. The referenced media was put into its own folder separate from the OMF file, kind of how FCP archived projects look in finder. The logic export worked perfectly and saved our collective butts.

While I don't think Logic has a 'lock tracks' function in an OMF, our mixer was more than happy to have the OMF file with referenced media separate. In fact, he preferred it that way to begin with. I bet we can expect that same option in FCPX.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on May 27, 2011 at 2:01:07 pm

They actualy label the pan-zoom effect the "Ken Burns" effect in FCP-X? Very tacky. Why don't they just come out and say "This is a toy".

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 27, 2011 at 2:09:49 pm

It's certainly not a toy to Ken Burns' award winning documentaries.

If they were to call it "motion control camera simulator" I don't think anyone outside of us old-timers would know what a "motion control" camera is.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 27, 2011 at 6:30:21 pm

You didn't get the memo. They also have the Eisenstein Montage button, and also the French New Wave jump cut button.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]