FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edits from iPhone to iMovie to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Lim
Edits from iPhone to iMovie to FCPX
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:39:34 am

Okay first read this:
http://www.yourmacnetwork.com/imovie-ios-backing-up-and-moving-your-project...

Okay now just imagine this concept:
shooting on ur iphone outside
make a base edit
Send to iPad
Refine edit while otw home
Open the project file with iMovie '11, save it
Open the project file in FCPX and do ur finishing there.

Interesting huh?

Just imagine if the iphone or ipad being able to read mts files! U can the edit on the go!!!

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
Re: Edits from iPhone to iMovie to FCPX
on Sep 25, 2011 at 5:38:21 am

If oyur just capturing with your iphone's camear quality anyway, why bother with fcpx. imovie on an iPad works pretty well and fast already.

The way FCPX's UI looks, I think its one of the many apple programs that will make its way into an iPad Pro. Its just coded too efficiently and follows a lot of Apple's UI design philisophy on visual metaphors that its almost sure made for touch.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:25:25 am

i agree with you..but you can leave out a few steps....just shoot on the iPhone, send it to fcpx and finish.....it's what i've been preaching for awhile now but be prepared to get all kinds of hate mail from so called "real" editors who will call you crazy and unprofessional. i've given up trying to convince people that a big change is coming in the way we work....i feel like noah after i built the arc and no one wanted to get in until it started raining! wait until fcpx comes out for the iPad...then the naysayers will really have something to cry about....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:51:25 pm

[kim krause] "just shoot on the iPhone, send it to fcpx and finish"

You have described next year's location scout and maybe the expansion of ENG. The iPhone goes where the news crew can't.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:56:17 pm

I don't think that's Kim's mantra. I think he sees the iPhone's camera as a viable alternative to DSLRs/P2/EX cameras.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 5:53:53 pm

[Gary Huff] "I think he sees the iPhone's camera as a viable alternative to DSLRs/P2/EX cameras."

That statement itself is very revealing. Just a very few years ago you'd be thought crazy if you implied a DSLR could be used in high end broadcast of feature work.

Just a very few short years before that, it might have been the same for P2 and EX cameras as well.

In some respects ENG was the point of entry because it's where the "compromise" was first acceptable. For DSLR it was the photo journalist picking up a few short clips for a news outlets' online edition.

For P2/EX it was lower budgets and increased mobility as an alternative to the shoulder mount cameras.

Just yesterday I watched a movie with Don Cheadle and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and other actors you might recognize... called Manic. It was shot in 2001 on Sony PD-150.

Of course one would says such cameras haven't replaced those more appropriate to higher budget projects but they do move from novelty to practical use in some circumstances for various reasons.

Thresholds get crossed and sometimes they sneak up on us.

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:47:04 pm

technically if you have a controlled situation then u can get some ALMOST good footage with the iPhone. Remember that there are apps like AlmostDSLR that helps to lock focus and all.

I could imagine that with technology ever changing, the iPhone being used in broadcast is quite a possibility in the future. Scary. Just imagine instead of using a proper camera, you have news reporters using iPhones for on site coverage.

"Hey Mr. Reporter. I need you to head on down to Site X to cover the Political Event right this instant"

"... But there aren't any cameramen or soundmen free now"

"Just make it happen."

*whips out an iPhone4 and drags an intern for a second cam. Goes on site, shoots it and heads back while scripting on the go as well as making a base edit. Brings back the footage, passes script to be vetted, hands the crap to the editor and does his VO recording.

*Editor suffers in silence and makes the edit. Part of his pride and soul just died while editing with iPhone Footages.

Remember that GoPro footage are being used in broadcast right now. I've weedled a few iPhone footage into some programs and behind-the-scenes footages on DVD before.

Ewan

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 25, 2011 at 11:50:50 pm

Then I suggest you start becoming an evangelist for selling all that expensive camera gear and using iPhone 4s and above as the "A" camera for all future projects.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:02:20 am

are you mad? an iPhone will never replace a real camera, in the same way that a synthesizer would never replace a real orchestra...but for some tasks i'm sure no one will notice! when was the last time a news cre went out in the field with a film camera and a sound man and a director and a lighting person and gaffer and a script person and a ....so on so on you get the idea! the right tool for the job is a good philosophy but why take the whole toolbox when all you need is a screwdriver!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:51:32 pm

The kicker is, if the footage is compelling, it doesn't matter if it was shot on an oatmeal box with a pinhole in it. This is the decade of the self shot newscast.

You see it everywhere in the news - in the requests for viewer footage and stills, and in the shots of neighbor's houses burning down, shot with a phone, when there couldn't be a news crew there. If there's footage, it will air, no matter how poor in quality.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:35:33 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "This is the decade of the self shot newscast. "

And the send to CNN iReport in FCPX is an acknowledgement of that.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:22:43 pm

Wanna see a cool app for iPhone/iPad? Check out ColabraCam! Put it on up to our devices, link em together, multicam edit live! Refine edit with ReelDirector, Splice, or iMovie.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:15:04 am

GoPro has a very good quality already, rumored iPhone 4S/5 is said to have the camera as one of its major selling point. I can imagine placing 30/60p at 1080p in there because the A5 dual core proc + its GPU and iOS grand central dispatch can already handle 1080p edit. That will be a nice tool for journalists indeed. And with the amzing libraryof apps to enhace that video quality...the future is here.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:30:24 am

That would be cool. 1080i on an iPhone that doesn't lose so much of its color info in its h264 mov file would be a dream. Match that with an ability to natively ajdust iso and focus.. That would be an expensive phone.

@gary:
Nothing could fully replace a Real camera, be it an A cam or B cam. Unless one would wanna get that stock home docu look.

Ewan

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:23:23 am

[Ewan Lim]Nothing could fully replace a Real camera, be it an A cam or B cam. Unless one would wanna get that stock home docu look.

Why not?

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:00:39 am

One thing is the inability to control lighting situations unleed you whip out the app, almost dslr where you can lock focus and exposure. Either way, iPhone 4 doesn't handle low lighting situations well... Maybe in future iPhone models.

Also well... You probably can use it on most days where you have ideal situations. Like short films or scripted shoots.

Ewan

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:38:25 am

Another app you might look at for great control over shooting video on the iPhone is called Filmic Pro! It's new an on sale right now. Quite the incredible little tool to have.

I've actually snuck a tiny bit if B-Roll into expensive production pieces from my iPhone 4 in the past year and it's never been picked out. In fact it sometimes gives that unique "real" look to to certain situations! You know...the stuff where you want it to look pedestrian or whatever, but still need quality that will fit in with the rest of your material. Now, I'm not using it for 95% of my pro work, but it's kinda cool.

I did start a separate YouTube channel to put video from my iPhone up there and keep it away from my regular work so as to not confuse folks. It's:

Http://www.YouTube.com/tonysvideo4fun

The earlier stuff on there was all shot on iPhone and edited right on the phone using a combo of ReelDirector, iMovie, and Splice. All have thier strengths and can do cool stuff like VO and titling...all differently from one another. There's now apps like Red Giant's "Movie Looks" that's basically Magic Bullet Looks on the iPad/iPhone and it's only 2.99 instead of $299 on the computer. Also CinemaFXV is mostly better than Movie Looks! You can stack effects and adjust accordingly. You'd be surprised at what's out there. Even a Tilt Shift app for video and one called Movie Drops that's full of HD backgrounds, that look great, and you can pick em up for $2.99 or less most of the time. Of course there's also ColabraCam that I spoke about earlier where you can run up to 4 iPhones through an iPad, LIVE, multicam production with notes from the director (using the connected iPad) to each individual iPhone! You can tell cam b to go to a medium shot right through the system. I just recently bought that one bu haven't used it much yet.

Oh, and if you've gi an iPad....I would suggest that you shoot with iPhone, and edit on your iPad. Use one of the photo transfer apps that works with video and when you buy it on one device, you can install it, for free, on your other device(s). I'm using an app called Photo Transfer App.

Now, this is all not a replacement for real equipment, proper planning, and talent. But as video production evolves, we may sometimes need different tools. This is just another set of them. And there's more and more guerilla style video out there all the time! The stuff I've done on my iPhone/iPad combo is in no way polished and awesome. That's why the YouTube channel is called tonysvideo4fun. I'm just experimenting with the tools for now. And it is fun. But you can't discount the possibilities. Like I've heard before..."THE BEST CAMERA IS THE THE ONE YOU HAVE WITH YOU". Stop by my YT channel and check em out. Particularly the Dominican Republic video and the (NSFW) Pigmans BBQ Coleslaw Wrestling video. There's also one about big waves on our beaches.

Sorry about any typ-o's...that is one distinct disadvantage of using an iPad! ;-)

Tony Brittan
Owner - Island Shore Productions
Posted from my iPad

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:23:51 pm

[Tony Brittan]Now, this is all not a replacement for real equipment,

Why is it not?

[Kim Krause][I]t's what i've been preaching for awhile now but be prepared to get all kinds of hate mail from so called "real" editors who will call you crazy and unprofessional.

[Craig Seeman]You have described next year's location scout and maybe the expansion of ENG. The iPhone goes where the news crew can't.

How come now the responses don't jive with these original statements? I thought this was the YouTube generation, where kids are shooting on their phones and people are enjoying the videos that they put together in iMovie/FCPX and uploading to the web. Craig Seeman already mentioned a business that was using iMovie to do their videos, so why now all of a sudden the resistance to using the iPhone/iTouch/iPad as the "A" cam?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:02:00 pm

I agree with a lot of this discussion, and I disagree with a lot. A small camera with a crappy lens and a tiny sensor will never replace a pro camera with good glass and a huge sensor, except in some of the situations described above - ENG (maybe), location scouting (absolutely), music video (angles you couldn't get a big rig into), and b-roll in productions in which the footage is heavily effected, and you wouldn't notice the lack of quality.

Why didn't the VHS camera get adopted over the 3/4 inch, beta-SP, and one-inch formats? Resolution. Why won't phone footage and iPad footage replace A cameras? Quality.

But...in the News business, all bets are off. The worst quality footage in the world will make it to air if it's the ONLY footage!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:16:02 pm

Nah, I just think all of you are scared that some kid with an iPhone 5 and FCPX on his MacBook Air is going to come along and kick all of your HPX/EX/Red camera-carrying butts.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:09:21 pm

Yeah, because the advent of youtube has so increased the quality of movie making. Those suckers making $100 million movies are losing their shirts and everybody that posts to youtube is rolling in dough.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:20:48 pm

Not everyone is making money from YouTube, but some are

One of my 14 year old cousins recently pointed me at some of the shows they watch on YouTube, they aren't sophisticated, there certainly isn't Hollywood production values but they are getting millions of views and this makes money.

I have a YouTube Channel as a hobby, I re-edit some of the material we sell on DVD and upload it, I've had 2 million views this year and the Google Ad money paid for our family holiday.

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:31:27 pm

Great, Steve! So are you shooting on an iPhone 4 yet as your primary camera?

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:32:05 pm

Those are the lucky ones. The fact is, if you look at the statistics of the average YouTube post, it is below 100 views. And the simple fact is that 99.9% of what is posted to youtube is unwatchable crap. If anything, IMHO, the vast proliferation of "homemade" video has made it tougher on independents with little money to get their work recognized.
In a lot of ways, I think the discipline of film making has gone out the window with all these user-friendly computer apps that can add surface gloss to the work of even the most dimwitted "auteur."
Right now, you have more chance of making money off of youtube with a minute-long video of your cat doing something cute, than planning and executing a well thought-out scenario.
Thus endth the rant.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:36:51 pm

Every one says, "small camera's COULD do the the job". My question is, if they can then why don't they? I see more iPhones/Go Pro/Cell cams out in the world than there ever has been, yet I'm not seeing them used for much more than POV and quick, incidental broll. Sure there are the odd production pieces shot with this type of device, but a large part of their draw is the simple fact they were shot using this format. Perhaps it's because even the best of them are limited in what kind of shot you can make with them... typically. Sure, you could put your iPhone on a tripod, but then you're carrying more stuff, and if you're going to carry that much more stuff, why not just get the right tool for the right job?

Also.... I have a firm belief that most people just aren't that interested in SHOOTING video. They'd rather "be the camera". I'm talking about those not "in the business" I'm talking the vast consumer hoards that Apple seems to be targeting with FCPX. Face it, shooting a camera of any kind removes you somewhat from your environment. No matter how small, or convenient most humans opt to experience their lives in that moment, not record it for some later time.

All the tools in the world will not create more QUALITY production people. Only time spent practicing will do that. Say what you will about what FCPX/iPad/iPhones may do, at the end of it, those with experience will reach for the right tool for the right job. Those without will try this stuff and learn that in many instances, it is NOT the right tool.

Funny, seems like every 10 years or so, some company thinks they have THE product that will finally interest the majority of consumers to finally pick up a video camera and start making feature films. When will they ever learn it's NOT about the tools, it's about the way humans are wired. We're not designed to experience our world looking through a lens. This is a wholly unnatural obsession we have for this stuff and I think most in this business loose sight of that over time. Not everyone is as interested in this as we are and FCPX will not change that. Just because we've raised an entire new generation with the access to good cheap production equipment doesn't mean an appreciably larger percentage will choose this as a livelihood.

While I know that's not the implication of the original post, I see some suggestion of that in the digression that follows. For those who do practice this as a livelihood, and need the flexibility to do the most with the least gear, do you really see having all of the minutia required to support and use iPhone/iPad/Air/Desktop in any regular on-going basis? Yes, we are a gadget oriented set of geeks, but at the end of it, most will end up gravitating to the least gear which gives us the greatest capabilities. While it is true FCPX/iPad/Air will continue to add capabilities, so will more traditional equipment such as laptops and desktops. What will you end up with at the end? The least that does the most.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:43:35 pm

Marvin -

I think you hit the nail right on the head! If indeed these tools can do the job, someone will use them. If I had a nickle for every person who thought you just bought editing software, and then you were and editor, I'd be rich. Every one of these tools should have a warning on the side saying "Talent Not Included!".

That said, I personally use software which set me back over 2000 dollars (3DS Max), and software that cost me 39 dollars (CrazyTalk Pro). If it does the job, doesn't cause too many workflow problems, and is a reliable part of a stable of tools that make you money, I say go for it.

The viewer can't tell what something was shot, composited, or edited, on. It's all about talent and storytelling abilities. That said, it's also really easy to get hung up on the "if I only had..." syndrome. It can put you in a holding pattern forever, waiting for the grail to show up. Get the tools you can afford, and apply talent.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:05:57 pm

Well that's the deal isn't it? All these people touting professional uses for consumer gadgets don't go out and practice what they preach.

"Oh, I use an iPhone here and there when there's not other option for the footage I want to use."

There is no reason why you can't shot an entire project using an iPhone and editing it on iMovie on the iPad...except for the fact that it won't look or sound that great. But I thought "just good enough" was the mantra here? YouTube taught us that, hasn't it? It just has to be "good enough", "content is what matters" yadda yadda yadda. So why don't people shoot with the iPhone as their "A" cam? Sure it doesn't have highlights, lots of jello, not much in the way of manual controls, but so what? Isn't it good enough? Why aren't more people who make their money from editing/shooting/ect. editing projects on iMovie on the iPad? Sure it can't do that much, but can't it get you to "good enough"?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:30:55 pm

[Gary Huff] "There is no reason why you can't shot an entire project using an iPhone and editing it on iMovie on the iPad...except for the fact that it won't look or sound that great. But I thought "just good enough" was the mantra here?"

No, practicality and budget are involved. In many ENG situations an iPhone will get you video you simply can't get otherwise. iPad may allow editing in locations where a laptop may be impractical. There are many highly "professional" situations where portability trumps big iron.

Sometimes it's a mater of budget and someone is just making do. They may even capitalize on apparent "weaknesses" as part of the "look" if they are creative.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:33:29 pm

So, Craig, why can you not just go to using the iPhone as the "A" camera. Isn't it good enough?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 9:02:31 pm

[Gary Huff] "So, Craig, why can you not just go to using the iPhone as the "A" camera. Isn't it good enough?"

It may be for someone on a limited budget or deliberately wants that look. There were good movies shot on PD-150 for example. In other cases cameras play a role in the look of parts of a movie. The Sony EX cameras in District 9 is one example. I can imagine someone doing a movie about the "Arab Spring" shot mostly with a smartphone to deliberately get the YouTube video look of the videos that were actually posted.

It becomes another tool in the tool chest. Sometimes ruled by creative intent, sometimes budget. In those situations it may well be an "A camera." It won't be for most other things though.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 9:16:03 pm

Craig, you're still not answering my question. The whole idea is that the industry is evolving now and it's about the single individual with the Mac or iPad, FCPX, and a decent way to capture video/audio. It's about the YouTube generation, isn't it? Content is king?

All that you need is available to start churning out videos like that now. My question is: why aren't you? Or are those touting that as the future wrong on this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:18:38 pm

[Gary Huff] "All that you need is available to start churning out videos like that now. My question is: why aren't you? Or are those touting that as the future wrong on this?"

It's not either/or. It's more ways to create and distribute. Certainly the internet is increasing distribution options.

You can even look at how distribution was once solely in theaters and then, over time, more movies went straight to DVD without much if any theatrical run and now some avenues are straight to internet distribution. It's not simply "YouTube" but sites such as Funny Or Die (Will Ferrell, et al)
http://www.funnyordie.com/
or Blip.TV
http://blip.tv/
in which people are doing episodic shows on lower budgets then even typical lower budget syndicated shows.

They don't post their equipment lists but if you watch you might guess some of these are being shot with some fairly low end cameras and being edited on a laptop in somebody's bedroom. Maybe one can't quite tell if they're being done that way. Maybe that's the point.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:33:10 pm

[Craig Seeman]It's not either/or. It's more ways to create and distribute. Certainly the internet is increasing distribution options.

I have said nothing at all about distribution. I have talked about YouTube and "good enough." Why are you not convincing your clients to just shoot on an iPhone and edit on iMovie. And that one project you're having to take over because iMovie can't cut it? (pun intended) Maybe they should just have come up with a simpler idea instead of having to hire you. Isn't content king? Why do complicated videos even need to exist in our YouTube age?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:03:42 pm

[Gary Huff] "I have said nothing at all about distribution. I have talked about YouTube and "good enough.""

YouTube is a distribution channel. Are you thinking it's something else?

[Gary Huff] "Why are you not convincing your clients to just shoot on an iPhone and edit on iMovie."

If they'll pay my rates and the iPhone will give me the look I want, I'd have no problem with that. I'd shoot on Pixelvision if it's appropriate as well. I have no reason to convince them to shoot on iPhone but I'd have no problem if it's appropriate. There certainly are enough stories of corporate clients (former clients?) shooting on Flip cameras and editing on iMovie.

I'd have no reason to edit on iMovie . . . but I do know that an editor or three have snuck in there to use a specific cheesy iMovie filter for a client because. . . . it was easier.

[Gary Huff] "Maybe they should just have come up with a simpler idea instead of having to hire you."

Lots of people have seen that happen already. So I guess good enough is what the client is willing to accept and pay for (but not at my rates) in some cases.

[Gary Huff] "Why do complicated videos even need to exist in our YouTube age?"

The goal is storytelling (marketing, etc), not complexity. You do what you think is best to tell the story given the budget at hand.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:18:40 pm

[Craig Seeman]YouTube is a distribution channel. Are you thinking it's something else?

I felt that "YouTube generation" comments were more about the look of the video then how people see it. There's a certain "quality" about what the typical fare on YouTube is. That's what the reference was about.

If they'll pay my rates and the iPhone will give me the look I want, I'd have no problem with that. I'd shoot on Pixelvision if it's appropriate as well. I have no reason to convince them to shoot on iPhone but I'd have no problem if it's appropriate. There certainly are enough stories of corporate clients (former clients?) shooting on Flip cameras and editing on iMovie.

I'm not talking about you shooting on an iPhone and editing in iMovie. I'm talking about you convincing your clients to save their money hiring you and just to shoot on their phones and edit in iMovie themselves. After it, it'll be good enough, right? Content is king!

So I guess good enough is what the client is willing to accept and pay for (but not at my rates) in some cases.

That's my point. They shouldn't be willing to pay for that. Since "good enough" is all we need now, they should just go out and shoot that interview themselves on their iPhone, then just trim it up a bit and add some pizazz in iMovie. What's the benefit otherwise?

You do what you think is best to tell the story given the budget at hand.

Yep, it's all about the content. Doesn't need to be any budget, you can easily tell that story with the phone you have in your pocket and the free software that came on your laptop. No need to hire the Craig Seemans of the world when you, as a potential client, can easily get to "good enough" on your own, right?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:31:11 am

[Gary Huff] "There's a certain "quality" about what the typical fare on YouTube is."

I've seen a range of quality on YouTube some of it is quite good. We're not talking about home movies. YouTube is by no means limited to that. Video done by businesses who do marketing or those focusing on episodic entertainment are quite good. They certainly may be shot on lower end cameras (very low end).

[Gary Huff] "I'm talking about you convincing your clients to save their money hiring you and just to shoot on their phones and edit in iMovie themselves. After it, it'll be good enough, right? Content is king!"

Many businesses are doing this. They don't need my convincing.

[Gary Huff] "That's my point. They shouldn't be willing to pay for that. Since "good enough" is all we need now, they should just go out and shoot that interview themselves on their iPhone, then just trim it up a bit and add some pizazz in iMovie."

And businesses are doing that. If the only thing I offer is better gear at a higher price, they will continue to do that. Yes content is king and a good sales person shows the client how you can improve their content. That isn't limited to or specific to a gear list.

[Gary Huff] "Yep, it's all about the content. Doesn't need to be any budget, you can easily tell that story with the phone you have in your pocket and the free software that came on your laptop."

Yes, clients who feel they can do it themselves and they believe meets their needs are going to do it themselves. Businesses are doing that and given the economy this may become more common. My job is to show them I can tell a better story so that they get better results. That's not about iPhones vs Alexas. They just have to feel you can do a better job after you've shown them what you've done in the past and how you'd approach reaching their goals. "My toys are better than your toys" is not a sales pitch nor is it a business model.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:38:30 pm

[Craig Seeman]My job is to show them I can tell a better story so that they get better results.

But isn't that "better" just a nebulous term? Are the results you give them going to be demonstratively better than if they just did it themselves with consumer gadget tools?

The writing's on the wall, Craig. FCPX has shown the way. For a one time charge of $200, someone who wants good video can do it all themselves and they don't need to pay people to do the job they can do now. And if they simply don't have the time, then just toss $50 towards someone who'll do it for them quick and easy. What is the benefit otherwise?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:31:48 pm

[Gary Huff] "But isn't that "better" just a nebulous term? Are the results you give them going to be demonstratively better than if they just did it themselves with consumer gadget tools?"

Better is as convincing as you can make it as a sales person.

[Gary Huff] "someone who wants good video can do it all themselves and they don't need to pay people to do the job they can do now."

They've been able to do that for years already. Tools will continue to drop in price and they'll even be more people with decent skills as a result.

That also means overhead drops as well and people adjust their business models.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:53:14 pm

[Craig Seeman] - "Tools will continue to drop in price and they'll even be more people with decent skills as a result. "

Tell me one other industry where that is the case? Writing? Photography? Design? In all my years, I've not seen a significant rise in people with decent skills in any of these disciplines. Tools don't create skills. Practice, perseverance and hard work create skills.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:21:11 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Tools don't create skills. Practice, perseverance and hard work create skills."

And wider availability of tools allows that.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 7:35:42 pm

[Craig Seeman] - "And wider availability of tools allows that."

But don't inherently foster it. You assume that because FCPX has more features than iMovie that more people will now be drawn to creating videos. For most new users, the difference is marginal. Most experienced users have grown beyond both. Who is left that will be "allowed"?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:59:42 pm

[Craig Seeman] - "There are many highly "professional" situations where portability trumps big iron."

The definition of "many", for those NOT in ENG, is "few". That's the problem. Granted, it's become an affordable solution when you need a crash POV, or something quick and covert. But honestly, if you're doing EFP, how often is that? As a freelancer, you can probably adapt it as a specialty, but as a facility or station, it becomes cliche VERY quickly on air. Cheap enough to use occasionally, as a novelty, but detrimental when over used.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:04:05 pm

Can you imagine what that would do to the price of the videographer/stringer, who shoots for a living? Suddenly anyone who has a phone is a stringer (which is actually the case for local news in any market - if you've got video, the station wants it!), and the value of having the news footage shot in a quality manner is trumped by the fact that there are thousands of stringers, virtually everywhere, who are willing to give away the footage, just for that 10 seconds of fame (if that). And given the disposability of the news product, that's just where it's going...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:23:53 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Suddenly anyone who has a phone is a stringer"

FCPX share to CNN iReport.

If Apple released an API so local news outlets could add their servers to the Share function . . .

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:30:26 pm

Joe, take it a step farther...

Now you have all of these folks with iPhones stringing news. Their primary concern is NOT any objective reporting of what is happening, it is finding the one clip that will "get them air". That trend amongst professionals over the last 10 years or so has given us the current level of infotainment that has all but replaced news. Now, we an even larger erosion of journalistic ethics, we're not going to be able to believe much of anything we see. Most who have used video for any length of time realize just what a powerful medium it can be. Depending on who, how, what is shot, you can tell a story that can be interpreted with a wide variety of slants. While I think "eyewitness" video certainly has a place in a story, replacing a trained journalist just seems like a bad idea. Sadly, we've become a society that prefers sensationalism over truth. Perhaps this trend will swing the pendulum to such an extreme that we will once again crave REAL honest objective reporting from professionals. I'm afraid we might not have reached that apex yet.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]