FORUMS: list search recent posts

The first signs of the death of final cut pro 7.... :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
The first signs of the death of final cut pro 7.... :(
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:12:44 pm

Hey everyone I was recently hired to do a series of commercials, I was excited discussing new ideas I had. then came the question "what are you cutting on..." I told them I used Final Cut Pro, (now keep in mind these are people who now little about the post production world in general) they replied " thats great we have final cut x on all our laptops..." I had to regretfully tell them that I was on final cut pro 7. They then asked me if I could cut on final cut x or adobe premiere cause thats what they have. I can cut on either, but it was so sad to actually see the first signs of decay of final cut pro being truly dead......it's so sad :(

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: The first signs of the death of final cut pro 7.... :(
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:44:04 pm

I fail to see how it's a sign of anything really. Certainly not the death of Final Cut Pro since Final Cut Pro X exists. And the first sign of death for Final Cut Pro 7 was the introduction of Final Cut Pro X a few months back.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:56:47 pm

The really scary thing is that I bet one or more of them will ask at the end of the project that you give them a copy of the FCP-X file that they can "tweek" it as necessary after delivery...

Which actually means that in 24 hours one of those "clients" will be showing your hard work to someone else and referring to it as: This video I just finished..."

TIME TO MENTALLY DEVELOP A NEW RULE: Only deliver watermarked file exports until the check clears, and then only monolithic file exports to your clients. Never, never EVER copy your projects for anyone.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:00:57 am

I don't agree. I speent the summer playing around with FCPX, doing some cutting on small projects and it was a pain in the ass, fits and starts and I mastered the program as well as can be expected in that time. Then we got a big job, I jumped right back into FCP7, and it was smooth and painless, the final product was great, and my clients wouldn't care if I cut it with a ginshu knife as long as it looks good. We're doing a big congressional campaign next and FCP7 is the way to go all the way.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:48:33 am

[Bill Davis] - "TIME TO MENTALLY DEVELOP A NEW RULE: Only deliver watermarked file exports until the check clears, and then only monolithic file exports to your clients. Never, never EVER copy your projects for anyone."

New rule? Since when? File this under "it's a good idea, when you can do it".

Start setting too many rules for your clients and they'll go elsewhere.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:01:02 pm

[Bill Davis] "TIME TO MENTALLY DEVELOP A NEW RULE: Only deliver watermarked file exports until the check clears, and then only monolithic file exports to your clients. Never, never EVER copy your projects for anyone."

I have always agreed with that, but things are changing. Clients are now asking for project files. It used to be once in a blue moon, but now it's common. The last state job we bid even had that listed as a requirement in the deliverables.

I see two motivators... in-house video departments that go outside when they have too much work or when they lack the skills for a particular job. Whatever the reason, it's becoming commonplace and I don't see it as a good thing either...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:42:15 am

Yes, it's definitely deathwatch time for our old friend FCS. One of the big challenges moving forward is trying to explain this whole situation to our clients (or employers). It becomes somewhat more difficult when so many in our business can't even agree on what just happened. I'm certain that your clients have FCPX on their system because someone told them it was newer and better. Quite obviously, whoever mentioned this too them either didn't have the understanding to explain the problems with it, or simple didn't believe there to be any.

Either way, you were put in a "regretful circumstance" by shenanigans. Circumstances many more of us are likely to be put in as time moves on. While it seems like this has been going on a while for us, people like the ones you describe (people who know little about the post production world in general) no nothing of it. Perhaps they saw the Conan barb when it was released, but that is probably the extent of there awareness that this program might not be just a simple upgrade.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Sep 25, 2011 at 5:40:38 am

Like it or NOT these "people who know little about the post production world in general" are your clients and are the sole purpose why your business exists. Customers are always right.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 25, 2011 at 5:58:46 am

[Marvin Holdman] "Yes, it's definitely deathwatch time for our old friend FCS. "

Don't forget that Creative COW has been around for a long time. We opened our doors before the first iPod shipped, and had been open for a full two years before the iTunes Music Store opened in 2003. At first, nothing but excitement.

2005: an awesome release, notably multicam, and the introduction of Soundtrack Pro.

2007: more good stuff. The introduction of the Final Cut Studio, which introduced Color, and ProRes for FCP.

But clouds were gathering. Just 3 months earlier, along with the introductions of iPhones and Apple TV in January 2007, Apple dropped "Computer" from their name. Hmmm....becoming a consumer company?

Then in 2008, Apple droppped out of NAB.

To say that this caused a furor here is an understatement. Google "Apple booth at NAB 2008," and Creative COW returns the TOP THREE results. Here, I'll save you the time.

People had already started bringing cookies and coffee urns to get ready for a deathwatch, but, they said, let's see what happens in 2009.

Oops. The weak release that year can be summarized as "Apple is more interested in selling devices than computers, and no longer interested in our market, and the lack of growth in FCP reflects their lack of focus."

Sound familiar?

Admittedly, it's hard for any releases to look as big as multicam+Soundtrack Pro in 2005 and ProRes+Color in 2007, and I'm obviously oversimplifying thousands of posts, but seriously, this was the talk of the COW in 2009. Too much time, too little progress, etc.

People were saying THEN that they'd had just about enough. They'd been holding off on upgrades to see if the next release was finally something to get excited about...

...and well, we can agree that there's been plenty of excitement here in 2011.

For some people, jumping ship was anything but hasty. Tying their future to something besides FCP had been becoming more palatable, if not inevitable, for YEARS.

So, the COW pre-dating iPods brings some perspectives. One is that no matter how much people complain, Apple always wins by doing things Apple's way. Ain't nobody gonna really leave FCP.

Another perspective is that, wow, this time it's different. People are actually leaving!

And a third: Apple has proven that they can piss off present customers to win future customers.

Deathwatch? Maybe not. Or maybe so, but, according to many at the COW, "the first signs of death" were years ago. And the long-term outcome for Apple will be success yet again, even if they've failed for you as an individual.

Caveat-orama: I speak only for myself, not the COW, etc. etc.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:43:39 am

it had to die to make room for something new....that's how life works...the old makes way for the new! i can remember when the first version of final cut came out and i was showing a friend of mine how armed with nothing more that a camcorder with a firewire output and the latest white ibook (at the time) a person could have a full blow edit suite....something unheard of just 2 years before...he went out and spent a small fortune on a beta sp machine and a complete avid suite...he eventually gave up trying to keep it current and quit the industry to grow flowers. another acquaintance bought into the whole final cut thing and years later is the owner of one of the largest independant production companies in the country. final cut enabled him to achieve success in the industry by thinking differently and taking a chance on new technology. now it's 10 years later and i have just seen fcpx on a macbook air....i would say we are about to see history repeat itself. it's just so obvious to me....the old guard will be caught with their pants down. a lot of my reasoning boils down to economics...budgets have been drastically cut in the last few years and we have to figure out how to work quicker and cheaper and still deliver a product. again i will predict that the edit suites of the past will be but a memory a few years form now.....it happened in the publishing world, it happened in the music industry and we are about to see it happen in our business. there will always be the big guns, but they will be fewer and farther between. i can remember a few years back when people were saying this digital cinema thing would never take off...film would be around forever! ooops...guess what, more than 30 % of the cinemas are now digital and it's growing monthly....just saying

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 25, 2011 at 11:46:01 am

Yes, this all makes coherent sense.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:09:56 pm

Paragraphs are good.

bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:39:58 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Paragraphs are good."

Kim's using the magnetic sentence.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:36:13 pm

Paragraphs are good when they're good.

I commonly have to strip and recreate them because paragraph codes are downright destructive when one is moving a script into, for example, a tab-delineated database for script analysis.

My son seldom uses them in his text posts to all his friends and yes, I'm trying to convince him of their value - but he and his friends parse them seamlessly.

Plus don't forget they're kinda senseless in the "twitterverse "(note that button at the bottom of the screen below!)

I agree, that here, in this forum, in it's primary format, traditional "write for the eye" text formatting helps readability.

But if I was gonna write this like a decent script - with better spoken word emphasis - clear pauses for breath - and compound sentences that sound like people speak - then punctuation becomes less important in achieving good results.

Bottom line - it might not be what you (or I) prefer. But that doesn't make it worthy of criticism.

Just sayin.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:58:41 pm

[Bill Davis] "Paragraphs are good when they're good."

That particular paragraphless post came from the COW's .mobi interface, a detail only visible in the site's admin tools.

We've gone to considerable lengths to make a seamless experience in both directions, with one side effect being an increase in posts that are, let's say, casually written and punctuated.

It likes we may need to test this a little more. Maybe it's one of those things I know you've seen before on other sites -- what LOOKS like two returns on the phone is being read as one return on the website.

Or maybe it's just that somebody is a, let's say, casual typist....if you can still call it typing if it's on a phone with just a PICTURE of a keyboard.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:48:46 pm

[kim krause] "i have just seen fcpx on a macbook air....i would say we are about to see history repeat itself."

I agree. I think many people in post can't fathom what's about to happen. FCPX is the leading edge of another round of major changes. FCPX will sell hardware. What a post facility is will change radically in the next two years. The economies of scale will be different for most of us.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:17:43 pm

[Craig Seeman] " I think many people in post can't fathom what's about to happen. "

More often, I think people are distressed because they CAN fathom what's coming. As I noted above, they have been thinking about their future for years, and find that FCPX isn't enough to get them there. They're not ONLY looking for steps back by turning to Premiere, Media Composer and Vegas. They're finding steps forward.

So I don't think it's fair to equate "FCPX doesn't meet my needs" with fear.

I know that's too reductive of your view, Craig, but I think that summarizes the views of some other folks pretty well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:39:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "So I don't think it's fair to equate "FCPX doesn't meet my needs" with fear.

I know that's too reductive of your view, Craig, but I think that summarizes the views of some other folks pretty well."

For many/most it's about where FCPX is now. It's not there at all for many professional needs. It's about where FCPX is headed and how Apple will impact the post industry that I find interesting. I do think Apple will be a "major player." There's no reason for anyone to wait if FCPX is limited at the moment. I think Apple will make a compelling case though in due course.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:50:28 pm

[Craig Seeman] "many people in post can't fathom what's about to happen... FCPX is the leading edge of another round of major changes."

that is magical thinking and the market will determine what FCPX is or is not. The answer appears to be different to certain people's mystical prognostications on this forum, warbling about a glorious future where you can edit alone up a tree using three finger swipes on a ten inch screen to invoke dissolves on the half hour corporate piece you're trying to edit.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:29:40 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "that is magical thinking and the market will determine what FCPX is or is not."

Major changes may or may not be successful but I do think they will happen. I think there will be some changes in hardware up ahead. I think FCPX is being designed to take advantage of that. That does not mean FCPX will be the only software to do that nor will Apple be the only company to do that. We'll just have to wait and see if I'm correct.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 25, 2011 at 11:00:13 pm

i think what remains of the apple proapps team took a punt with this software and I don't think the ball/puck travelled anywhere near as far as they might have hoped.
so say maybe this software isn't the future, but rather a troubled experiment. the development team seems to be crazily scrambling right now - I read somewhere that the development notes on the new XML run to about five pages boiled down. the spec itself is unstable according to what I'm reading insofar as I get it. Its not even reliably carrying DB levels? So say It's incomplete insofar as it is going to need significant revisions, which makes publishing it possibly a bad idea? Doesn't a published XML spec need to be steady?

You yourself acknowledged that the initial release was nearly alpha, which for a published Apple software product is incredibly surprising and... unnerving in its implications -
taken all together does this seem like a software platform in rude health? Does it feel like a software team in control, with the ability and the numbers to reliably execute going forward?

bottom line - do we think the remains of proapps is a reliably functional software vendor?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:44:44 am

Just to be clear, major changes are not limited to Apple. I suspect others will follow and may even execute better.

It certainly seems Apple rushed this out the door. Sometimes the effort to be "leading edge" can be on very shaky ground. Basically it may be a race for Apple to catchup to where they want to be vs the ability for the competitors to incorporate what they see. Actually this is Apple's pattern with several products. I think it'll be Apple's hardware that may do the cementing for the "shaky" flag planted by FCPX.

Basically it seems Apple is traveling down two paths. One is with hardware and started with Thunderbolt and may continue with the next MacPro (or what replaces it) and the other is software with FCPX. Apple has to make that symbiotic relationship worthwhile.

I think before the end of the year we may see the next Mac hardware release and one more FCPX release. It will tell us a lot.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:58:26 am

sure craig - i get that, I pretty much (ill informed), agree with your presumption that apple are going to alter the context of the mac pro, but lets not oversell that, the meme of modular thunderbolt enabled amazing computing is doing just fine.

my issue is with the state of the proapps software vendor that still survives within apple attempting to output and sustain this software platform.
do we think, given its diminished size, its performance in delivering this pre beta software for sale, and its financial insignificance to apple, that this is a believably stable software provider? does it look or act stable? does this feel like a stable scenario for us?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:09:12 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "do we think, given its diminished size, its performance in delivering this pre beta software for sale, and its financial insignificance to apple"

I thin Apple intends FCPX to sell hardware. The hardware will be the significant financial thing. The question is FCPX capable of selling hardware. Apple hasn't delivered a complete software package yet. This first update is interesting. It's usable but not the "leader" they hope it will be. It's a beacon down an unfinished road. It's hard to know what timeline is "viable" for Apple... and the market for that mater. It will take at least another update or three. We'll have to see about Hardware, Server, SAN integration. I do thin Apple is racing against a "market clock."

Maybe in some respects NeXT computer is the closest analogy. Innovative OS and Hardware... it failed... on the other hand it may well have had a lot to do with lessons Jobs learned and Apple's later success.

We need a more complete picture of a maturing FCPX, Apple's next round of hardware, how this NLE is supposed to work as an integrated/modular package.

Return to posts index

John Joyce
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:12:38 am

Call me naive if you like, but one reason for optimism in all this could be the absence so far of legal moves against Apple, especially in jurisdictions outside the United States. The EU could be an interesting one. You can have the tightest EULA in the universe, but it still has to comply with statute law.

Typically trade practices law prohibits not just deceptive but misleading conduct. It is difficult to imagine that major corporations and institutions who would incur significant costs in retooling post-FCP7 would not yet have engaged Sue, Grabbit and Runne to cast their yellowed eye over the representations made about FCPX both before its release and since.

Could it be that Apple is providing more comforting information to large, irritated and litigious clients than to the common herd?

In the kingdom of the blind, one theory may be as good as another.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:07:09 am

[Craig Seeman] "I do thin Apple is racing against a 'market clock.'"

I do too. The way I see it, Apple has until NAB to convince everyone that FCPX is a viable pro editing solution. After that, it will likely become very hard to win people back.

Media Composer 6 will be out by then, and will be very compelling because of the jump to 64 bit and expanded hardware support. And NAB will see the release of Premiere Pro CS6, which I think could be the final nail in the FCP coffin. CS5 still falls short of FCP7 in many key areas, but Adobe has been getting lots of good feedback and feature requests from the FCP refugees- many of which jumped over to it immediately without paying a cent, since they already had it as part of their Photoshop/After Effects bundle purchase.

As evidenced by the Iridas acquisition, Adobe is listening to them, and CS6 will no doubt clear away a lot of the roadblocks that are keeping many people from making the jump to Premiere.

If PPro CS6 is seen by a lot of people as a major upgrade compared to FCP7, Apple will have a hard time convincing people to wait for FCPX to mature- especially if the XML issue hasn't been sorted out yet...

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:05:39 am

finally someone who sees my point......thanks! looks like we're both hated equally by the majority of people!

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:50:37 pm

At this point, the main reason that FCPX might be a contender a year from now all comes down to it's tight integration with OS and hardware. I wonder though, if this integration is going to be maintained as more and more third party vendors throw in their apps to restore functionality. This seems to be the implication from Apple regarding restoring functionality, "Third Party Vendors will bring it".

The problem I have with this is that at the same time, Apple also seems to be saying that they are committed to upping the frequency of their upgrades (both incremental and major). Given the problematic nature that already exist with application/third party upgrade schemes, it doesn't seem to be setting up to be a smooth road. Perhaps Apple has the foresight to realize that any upgrade they might initiate will only be as successful as their third party vendors ability to keep up. Especially with functionality features like say, broadcast monitors. Unfortunately, the limited release of API's and the somewhat incomplete XML release has done little to predict anything but bumps on the road ahead.

I'm sure Craig is right when he mentions Apple's primary goal is to sell hardware. It would appear they might be trading greed for functionality in this case though.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:53:31 am

[Marvin Holdman]I'm sure Craig is right when he mentions Apple's primary goal is to sell hardware. It would appear they might be trading greed for functionality in this case though.

But what kind of hardware? I'm not convinced that you can say, with any certainty, that Apple will sell anything other than iOS devices within the next five to eight years, nor would I suspect that iOS would, at that moment in time, be able to fill the gap that pulling the traditional computing platform would cause.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:39:46 pm

So explain to me how the App store is a play to sell hardware.

Explain to me how iCloud is a play to sell hardware.

Explain how Thunderbolt is a play to sell hardware (after all, it's licensed from Intel and we know that other mfgs have already announced implementations - so it's NOT going to be an Apple hardware differentiator.)

"Apple software sells Apple hardware" made huge sense 10 years ago.

"A strong market perception of leadership in customer empowerment tools AND services will drive bottom line results" is something I think will be closer to the new paradigm.

You can make a customer feel "empowered" via a nice piece of hardware - an elegant piece of software - an integrated approach like iPods and iTMS - or a transparent "virtual storage" capability (iCloud) --- they are all just ways to make customers feel connected to your brand.

I bet you can also enhance that by giving people a tool that lets the "not classically trained" person who wants to create visual media do that at a level that matches their personal abilities in a package that is affordable, easy to download and once learned, has a constantly evolving feature set designed to do what most users want to do most of the time, even if it doesn't do everything all users need all the time.

If it evolves enough, it's going to eventually evolve to include all the features that pros want - because a pro is nothing more than an amateur that's kept learning and growing.

Period.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 27, 2011 at 9:11:44 pm

[Bill Davis] - "So explain to me how the App store is a play to sell hardware.

Explain to me how iCloud is a play to sell hardware.

Explain how Thunderbolt is a play to sell hardware (after all, it's licensed from Intel and we know that other mfgs have already announced implementations - so it's NOT going to be an Apple hardware differentiator.)"

At the risk of being obvious.... you can't access any of these items without hardware.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:36:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "Explain to me how iCloud is a play to sell hardware."

You buy hardware to run software. The cloud is "software."

I'm using that as an analogy, because iCloud isn't a product you buy. It's feature that you get when you buy an iDevice or a MacBook Air, kinda like Face Time or Expose -- only insanely sexier and more powerful. "It's iCloud, and it comes free with every Apple iWhatever." They'll find a way to fit Lion in there too, but hey - more software to sell hardware.

"The cloud" will move MacBook Airs and new iDevices in the same way that iTunes moved iPods, the App store sells iPhones, and FCP used to move Mac Pros.

Software sells hardware. The cloud is "software."

Now, you can say that any device can have access to the cloud through free apps like Dropbox, which actually works better than iDisk in almost every way -- true, but irrelevant. That's like saying any phone can make calls, so why buy an iPhone.

Actually, why buy an iPhone if you want to actually make calls? Hahahaha!

Kidding aside, you buy an iPhone to run SOFTWARE. You buy an iPhone to run apps. Apps aren't confusing! They're AWESOME!

To review: Apple will not be talking about the cloud as technology. They will sell it as Apple-branded integration of everything you own and do, and people will trample your granny to buy as many Apple devices that "run the cloud" as they can carry.

"Android? What the f does Google know about the cloud? Cheeky astards, always trying to steal Apple's ideas!"

People here keep saying the cloud is nonsense. I prefer to think of it as a way for Apple to manufacture money out of thin air.

Watch and learn. The cloud is a feature that's included FREE with Air/iPhone/iPod/iPad/iMac, i infinitum. The cloud will sell more Apple-branded hardware than any software they have ever released.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:53:23 am

Interesting.

But if iCloud is a play to "sell hardware" it's an odd model - because isn't access to its virtues pretty much identical whether you're accessing it from an $8000 desktop tower or a $229 iPod touch?

I thought the point of traditional "hardware driving software" was at least partially built around the concept that in order to run a powerful and professional app, you were forced to the top of the price pyramid to buy a professional class hardware box.

That noted, Tim, I agree with everything else in your post.

And I think my quibble is addressed by the reality that as long as "iCloud" makes people feel good about being an Apple brand consumer, it will do it's job.

Brand perception and loyalty being, as it is, the ultimate goal of modern commerce.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 29, 2011 at 7:26:07 am

[Bill Davis] "But if iCloud is a play to "sell hardware" it's an odd model - because isn't access to its virtues pretty much identical whether you're accessing it from an $8000 desktop tower or a $229 iPod touch?

Not if you're selling 100,000 $399 phones for every $8000 tower. :-)

I made that number up, but credible analysts have been poking around iPhone 5 sales of 110 million units in its first year, with approx 17 million in the first quarter....so maybe I'm not far off, either.

I thought the point of traditional "hardware driving software" was at least partially built around the concept that in order to run a powerful and professional app, you were forced to the top of the price pyramid to buy a professional class hardware box."

The pyramid model may work everywhere BUT the computer business.

The biggest computer company in the world is publicly considering spinning off its actual computer business to focus (focus?) on the cloud, and the second biggest computer company got there by dropping the word "computer" from their name.

I'm oversimplifying of course. The world will always need heavy processing power and local storage in one box, and Apple will be in that business until they're not. But that business has a ceiling. The iDevice+app business kinda doesn't.

Apple still believes in Macs, no doubt about it. Last quarter was the best quarter for Mac sales in Apple's history, up 22% YoY. Best-selling Mac? The MacBook Air, of course. The one that runs the cloud.

:-)

You and me, we may never spend as much on iDevices and apps for the rest of our lives to equal what we spent on Mac Pros. But we're old and rich. (Hahaha!) There are millions of people who've bought two or three iDevices who will never buy a Mac, or who buy multiple iDevices and a couple of MacBook Airs and an iMac who will never buy a Mac Pro.

It has always been a truism that you can make more money selling a lot of cheap things than a handful of expensive ones -- but hardly anyone has actually done it.

The big thing to keep in mind is that Apple isn't going to use Tim Cook and glorified PowerPoint to sell the cloud. They're going to use iPhone 5 and Peter Coyote. Game over.

Return to posts index

Jim Woo
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:14:04 pm

As you said " it had to die to make room for something new..."

Perhaps the new thing is Adobe, not Apple.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:58:23 pm

I guess the first stage of grief really is denial!

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:32:46 pm

I think it's anger then denial followed by bargaining, depression and then, finally, acceptance.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:55:21 pm

Hmmm, that sounds a lot like this forum for the last 3 months. Go figure!

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]