FORUMS: list search recent posts

answer to post below: Switching to PC...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Badalassi
answer to post below: Switching to PC...
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:55:21 pm

What would you buy for the next couple of years, if you liked FCPX but you'd have to go PC for your video editing?

Hi Walter
Well, if I had to go for pc (windows) I'd buy:

a)Ligtworks - http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=... for editing;

b) DaVinci Resolve for windows (early 2012) or Adobe Iridas (we don't know at this moment how they'll call the application and when they'll release it - http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201109/090811AdobeA... color grading.

Anyway, I'd do (and I'll do) the same for mac osX

Best,
Marco Badalassi

Return to posts index

Marco Badalassi
Re: answer to post below: Switching to PC...
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:06:00 pm

Sorry,

the link to adobe announcement is http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201109/090811AdobeA...

Best,
Marco Badalassi

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:48:47 pm

BTW I think you're posting to this thread for the same technical reason I am. There's apparently no way to reply to the thread below.

I need to run some Windows software which has lousy Mac versions. So all the signs point to switching to Windows.

Bootcamp. All Intel Macs run Windows. Parallels to move files back and forth.

I also need to run Windows and I have Windows 7 running on my MacPro. If you need both, doing this better than buying a Windows PC and leaving Mac things you like behind. You can do things like edit in FCPX and Encode in Microsoft Expressions Encoder for example. If I encode on the Mac I examine my files in Windows BitRate Viewer.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:21:13 pm

From the situation you describe Vegas I think would serve you just fine. On the lower priced end perhaps even Avid Studio would work for you.

bigpine

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:29:57 pm

Try Adobe, Vegas, (& Lightworks) out. It depends on your needs. I found that 64 bit Vegas didn't have the speed or stability that Premiere has.

I'm extremely doubtful that running Vegas under Parallels will be the same as running it on a native Win7 box. But if you go for Premiere that's not an issue.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:50:56 pm

[David Cherniack] "I'm extremely doubtful that running Vegas under Parallels will be the same as running it on a native Win7 box. "

Again Bootcamp, not Parallels, would be a way to go if you want to avoid the expense of buying another computer.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:05:54 pm

One other thing to keep in mind....

If you have any inventory of FCP projects, XML imports to PPro are feasible, PROVIDED you have access to the FCP codecs on whatever system you might choose. If re-visiting FCP projects is a priority, PPro and Mac are your best bet.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:41:23 pm

[Craig Seeman] "[David Cherniack] "I'm extremely doubtful that running Vegas under Parallels will be the same as running it on a native Win7 box. "

Again Bootcamp, not Parallels, would be a way to go if you want to avoid the expense of buying another computer."

Regardless of the NLE you choose, running Windows on a Mac removes several of the advantages of Windows, including much heavier-duty graphics cards that enable dramatically greater speed.

I'm generally a fan of Windows on Mac, having written about it in the very earliest days when it possible -- check the COW library -- and opening a forum to support it. It's a very quiet forum for the past year or two since Windows on a Mac now works quite well, extra support not really required.

But in this case, I'd call Mac on Windows a solution of last resort, strictly to be used for budgetary reasons. It's great for running an application or two, reading files, etc., but not intended by anyone to do any heavy lifting. No point in switching platforms if you're not going to take advantage of the hardware that can provide the payoff for the switch.

I'm just sayin'.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:23:37 am

[Craig Seeman] "Again Bootcamp, not Parallels, would be a way to go if you want to avoid the expense of buying another computer"

Agreed. Parallels or Fusion are emulators and suck your performance out of the CPU. Bootcamp turns your Mac into a PC. It's great.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Sep 24, 2011 at 8:03:22 pm

If you've been enjoying FCPX, then you'll probably like Sony Vegas a lot. Use the Pro trial, but also check out their other "low-end" flavors -- the platinum and studio versions of movie factory are pretty amazing.

Pros for Vegas for me were: 1) Use any codec, any file. If windows could play it, vegas would edit it. 2) Scalable playback for hardware, ran well on older laptops and new desktop. 3) Nice (but not intuitive titler). 4) Good built-effects, and nice plugin options as well. 5) Great audio handling and tools built in.
6) Great export options - no separate encoding app required.

Cons: Too mouse and timeline driven for me. Not crazy about the event envelope metaphor. Didn't like dragging on active areas to build fades etc. Old version with "single-viewer" was too limited. Encouraged making edit decisions on the timeline...chop suey style. Drag a bunch of clips onto timeline and edit there, rather than making decisions in source window.

Avid was great on the PC as well, and maybe the new version of Premiere Pro. Premiere Elements was a buggy dog, I don't know if it's been re-tooled to use the new PP engine.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]