FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to conform 60fps to 24fps without Cinema Tools?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Silvia
How to conform 60fps to 24fps without Cinema Tools?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:39:32 am

Hey all,

I am thinking about buying FCP X soon and was wondering about my slow motion workflow. With FCP 7 I would just use Cinema Tools to conform the 60fps clips to 24fps for smooth slow motion. As far as I know, FCP X does not come with Cinema Tools. So how is this done in FCP X?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to conform 60fps to 24fps without Cinema Tools?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:27:50 am

There's a conform speed command in FCPX. It does seem to involve a very fast render though. Download the free trial and give it a whirl and you may have some more detailed questions about how FCPX handles slow motion.

Return to posts index

Walter Hop
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:20:57 pm

Just dropping the footage into the timeline will play it at original speed, but using Command+R you can open the retime bar and drag the edge of the clip to slow it down to a desired percentage. I guess you would want to slow it to 24 / 60 = 40% speed.

I am not sure if there is an option to guarantee that 1 original frame is matched to 1 frame in the output, which is what I would want ideally. I guess you sort of have to hope that you're slowing it down to the right amount.

I've had a lot of problems with slo-mo videos and inaccurate retiming in FCPX. Sometimes retiming seems to go jittery on clips for no reason at all. The 10.0.1 update does include a fix for retiming, but I don't know if it fixes my issue. If there is jitter in the resulting output, a stop-gap measure might be to use the "optical flow" algorithm for rate conforming.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:34:13 pm

Walter there is a function called Conform which should be frame to frame. What you're suggesting would result in an optical flow analysis frame creation. That's not the goal.

Return to posts index

Walter Hop
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:12:57 pm

Sorry Craig, I wasn't aware of that term. I've found the option now, I think it's exactly what I was looking for, so thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:01:55 pm

Craig,

What's the difference between conforming and retiming?

When I take a 60 fps clip and drop it into a 24 fps timeline and choose conform, it appears to simply retime the clip to 40%. If I open up the Retime Editor, that's what it shows, 40%.

How is that different from dropping the same 60 fps clip into a 60 fps timeline and retiming it to 40%?

I'm assuming there should be a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]