http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

Final Cut Studio 3 Editor
Chicago

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Final Cut X update and free trial
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:23:34 pm

Macworld article on the subject.
http://www.macworld.com/article/162394/2011/09/apple_fine_cut_final_cut_pro...

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:33:16 pm

If it has XML support can I import the XML from FCP 7?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:36:00 pm

And so it begins.

"Coming in early 2012

Multicam Editing
Broadcast-Quality Video Monitoring"

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:41:29 pm

Only a Compressor update shows for me in the App Store.

Tonight's Createsphere Entertainment Technology Expo in NYC will have an NLE roundup of Media Composer, Premiere Pro, FCPX. I wonder if they'll mention a bit about the new features.
http://createasphere.com/En/entertainment-technology-expo-nyc-schedule.html
See SuperSummit II The state of the NLE -6:30PM

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:44:31 pm

Update details on Apple's site.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:47:59 pm

Very interesting

One-step Transitions on Connected Clips
Add a transition to a connected clip or between multiple connected clips without manually creating a secondary storyline.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:58:16 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Very interesting

One-step Transitions on Connected Clips
Add a transition to a connected clip or between multiple connected clips without manually creating a secondary storyline."

Indeed. Hopefully more arbitrary restrictions like this one go away soon.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:49:12 pm

I think what excites me most is this:

"New Theme: Tribute

Access the new Tribute theme, with four animated titles and a matching transition."

Rock and roll! Now we're talking ;-)

Some other pretty good news as well, I ahve to admit ...

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:56:51 pm

Assuming they work as advertised Media Stems Export and XML support fill some big holes as does Xsan support and custom timecode.

I wonder how different the FCP 10 launch would have gone if these features were present and things like Share to YouTube and iMovie project importing were added in a later update?

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Jonathan White
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:04:27 pm

Downloading 1.44 gig update now :-)

Seanchas Productions, Galway, Ireland

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:14:12 pm

How did you go about downloading it? Doesn't show up under Mac Store Updates nor the Software update.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan White
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:15:45 pm

Popped up in app store updates about 10 minutes ago for me... I was watching it like a hawk... strange thing this excitement over software updates :-)

Return to posts index

Jonathan White
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:20:11 pm

Currently I'm actually more excited about stability and bug fixes as I won't need xml for a few months... transitions on connected clips will save some time too :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:27:53 pm

[Jonathan White] "transitions on connected clips will save some time too"

This would be major considering the thread on the need to improve Secondary Storylines. Transition between connected clips, depending on how it works, would go a long way towards getting a track like behavior back without having to go through extra steps to create Secondary Storylines in many cases.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:49:54 pm

I've been a skeptic about this software since it's release but I don't think there is a way to view this that is not positive. The change in attitude (which I never thought would happen) alone is very refreshing. Nothing would make me happier than to proven completely wrong and to have a solid, useable NLE again come winter 2012.

bigpine

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:38:02 pm

Much of the trend in on-line discussion globally seems to be to weigh in as quickly and as vocally as possible, to blindly support, or condem first, then see how the facts fit into our positions later.

Something of which I'm every bit as guilty as the next voice and the reason I decided to just be quiet for a some weeks awhile back.

What appears to be the case here is that while WE were all speculating, there was a team at Apple who didn't take their eye off the overall ballgame.

They released the program when they felt they needed to. Let the market "shake it around" and try to wrap brains around the substantial and deep changes - then went right back to work on a list of targeted improvements that reflected the needs of the market they'd identified as most important to the software's continuing growth and success.

This release should quiet the ill-considered but tempting "iMovie Pro" meme, since I cant see support for audio stems and XML integration as part of any rational design to deliver into that kind of "emerging pro" market.

Seems to me the FCP-X team is simply approaching the video content creation process by leveraging what computers do best - manipulate raw digital data as efficiently and as flexibly as possible.

They "pruned the trees" ruthlessly in the initial offering - heck, they even tore up and re-planted some very old Oaks. I know that's upsetting. But sometimes trees get old and they need to come down. Now they're training the new growth into a new vision.

I'm looking forward to see what the landscapers have in mind when the garden reaches maturity.

Interesting times.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:14:57 pm

[Bill Davis] " Re: Final Cut X update and free trial
by Bill Davis on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:38:02 pm
They released the program when they felt they needed to. Let the market "shake it around" and try to wrap brains around the substantial and deep changes

Please Bill, let me know who I send my invoice to at Apple...

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:21:48 pm

Yeah - good news for all.

Especially those pioneers who have actually been using this software for commercial pro projects despite its flaws.

What I am hoping for when I get to download this update is greater stability. I can't count the number of spinning ball crashes I've had.

This forum will definitely benefit from the update - something real to talk about.

Return to posts index

Gerrit Van Dyke
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:31:27 pm

This is good news. It sounds like we're still an update away from being able to switch over (broadcast monitoring) but it looks like they're on the right track.

How about EDL and OMF export?

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:46:47 pm

Finally, some encouraging news....

"Sony is updating their XDCAM EX plug-in to support native import directly into Final Cut Pro X."

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:54:18 pm

I see a "Roles" export feature which apparently does stuff with appropriately tagged audio (eg. Dialogue).

I do see Export and, yes, Import XML and I also see Add and Remove SAN.

A warning pops up that says Events and Projects need to be updated. That previously would only happen with major FCP version updates.

BTW Motion update now supports Dual Monitors.

You can now add a transition to a Connected Clip and it Automatically becomes a Secondary Storyline. A big YEA for that one.

This finally looks like a viable 1.0 app. It may not be ready to compete with the other "A's" but it certainly looks good enough to handle small projects and know you can get into and out of it into the rest of the world for additional post work.

There would be a lot less panic with this. At least more people would be willing to say "let's see where this goes" instead of just jumping ship. It's certainly a viable AVCHD project editor now. Apple's site says Sony will have direct XDCAM EX import plugin for it. They also mention Multicam (we know) is coming along with Broadcast monitoring.

There's still a long way to go but it seems like Apple is listening. If only this were the 1.0 we saw.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:41:34 pm

For those keeping score at home, I don't think Apple delivered everything they promised, intimated, or whispered they would deliver this summer. Though, they have 1 more day.

Had Apple delivered this for the launch, I think there would still be a big stink. This release is not going to change many minds for the simple fact that basic functionality is still missing. We still have a diamond in the rough.

If Apple is allegedly listening, let's see if the next Mac Pro replacement still has 4 PCIe slots.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:55:08 pm

[Jeff Bernstein] "For those keeping score at home, I don't think Apple delivered everything they promised, intimated, or whispered they would deliver this summer."

Facts. Point to such promises from Apple.

[Jeff Bernstein] "Had Apple delivered this for the launch, I think there would still be a big stink."

Yes but a lot of people might have accepted it as a 1.0 app and have had a "let's see where this goes" approach.

[Jeff Bernstein] "This release is not going to change many minds for the simple fact that basic functionality is still missing."

Apple states Multicam and Broadcast monitoring in early 2012.

Actually I think they've covered most of the big issues such as XML In/Out and the ability to spit out audio with its "Roles" feature.

Heck you can even add transition to connected clips now.

There's lots of things that still need to be done but this would have been the 1.0 app that would have caused a lot less panic and a lot more pause to investigate. It's now a viable FAST AVCHD project editor that can spit out files for Audio and Color Grading post workflow.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:05:25 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Actually I think they've covered most of the big issues such as XML In/Out and the ability to spit out audio with its "Roles" feature."

Sadly, I don't think the Roles thing (although it sounds like a cute idea and great for rough and ready split track mixes) really addresses the issue of higher-end audio post where you really still need OMF/AAF to be able to even start to do a proper job.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:20:10 pm

Hold that thought Simon.

Make it your own.

Particularly since you're so excited by it that while the software isn't out yet and nobody's even USED the function, you're ready to let us all know that it's going to fail for many.

Nice warning.

Let me play along and add one of my own...

Everybody watch out for the door latches on the flying cars of the future!

Killers, I imagine.

(teasing mode off)

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:48:32 pm

Bill, you are one crazy dude. It is pretty clear what Roles does--which is useful for me, btw--but why exactly do you need to jump down Simon's throat when he is stating something that is pretty obvious? He wasn't prognosticating, and he wasn't doomsaying in anyway. He was talking about an issue, and yet you decided to turn your phasers to "belittle." What's with that?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:17:47 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Actually I think they've covered most of the big issues such as XML In/Out and the ability to spit out audio with its "Roles" feature."

Actually, if you're really keeping score honestly, XML In/Out is not "covered" at this point.

My tests show that all existing XML files on my Mac system are grayed out on the 10.1 import screen, so we have no actual idea what the implementation of XML actually does do at this point, nor do we have any idea what it will do in the future.

So, please don't make the same mistake as Apple by making it sound as if concerns about XML I/O have been addressed in FCP x 10.1.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:36:47 pm

David,

Then would it be equally smart to avoid presuming that the coders working on FCP-X might not have actually addressed and solved such issues?

The software has only been out for minutes for heaven's sake.

And here we are making "pronouncements" based on unproven imaginings.

This is not how wisdom propagates - elevating gossip over fact.

We don't know if XML implementations in the FCP-X revs will be wonderful or terrible.

So anything said by either side is speculative hot air. Period.

My personal hot air about XML in FCP-X is that it will work great for some users, and fall short of the needs of others. Just like every single other thing about the software I've seen to date.

Big revelation, huh?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:34:13 pm

[Bill Davis] "The software has only been out for minutes for heaven's sake.

And here we are making "pronouncements" based on unproven imaginings.

This is not how wisdom propagates - elevating gossip over fact.

We don't know if XML implementations in the FCP-X revs will be wonderful or terrible.

So anything said by either side is speculative hot air. Period."

Bill,

"Gossip?" "Speculative hot air?"

How does reporting the results of my own testing of both XML in and out relate to either of those?

For the record, I am a journalist by trade in film, television, and print, and I write reviews and test both hardware and software for professional industry publications, not gossip columns and tabloids.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:09:54 pm

Just because there is an XML-import/export option doesn't mean there is an XML-translator (=import any kind of XML and make sense of the tagging system of that particular XML). To try to import an XML that isn't encoded in a way the program in question can relate to (directly and tag for tag) will result in gibberish at best. Someone (or something) needs to actually translate the tags of the source-XML into strings that the destination program can handle. Trying to import an Digital Rapids Stream 1.5 XML into FCPS didn't work that well either. Anyone that tried, should try something different to do with their time.

At the same time, would be nice if apple in their next effort made (at least a half assed) effort at giving us FCP7 XML translational capabilities to FCPX. As for now, the XML in/out features is just goodness waiting to happen. It merely means there are ways of getting stuff in and out of the X into/from other software, if anyone cared to teach the other end to speak/translate the markups.

Erik Lundberg

Technical Director, Media Technology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:16:57 pm

[Erik Lundberg] "Just because there is an XML-import/export option doesn't mean there is an XML-translator (=import any kind of XML and make sense of the tagging system of that particular XML). To try to import an XML that isn't encoded in a way the program in question can relate to (directly and tag for tag) will result in gibberish at best."

Erik,

Try to export an XML from FCP 10.1 and try to import that... You can't, cuz XML Export from 10.1 is also DOA.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:22:29 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Try to export an XML from FCP 10.1 and try to import that... You can't, cuz XML Export from 10.1 is also DOA."

Oh, oh.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:30:24 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Try to export an XML from FCP 10.1 and try to import that... You can't, cuz XML Export from 10.1 is also DOA."

David,

Just to clarify, are you saying that if you make a new project in FCPX 10.0.1 then export that project as XML, you can't import it back in?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:37:09 pm

[David Lawrence] "Just to clarify, are you saying that if you make a new project in FCPX 10.0.1 then export that project as XML, you can't import it back in?"

Actually, I created a very simple new project in FCP 10.1 and it will not export an XML from that project. So, testing the Import XML on a 10.1 created XML file is not possible.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:41:19 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Actually, I created a very simple new project in FCP 10.1 and it will not export an XML from that project. So, testing the Import XML on a 10.1 created XML file is not possible."

Sounds like a pref trash at the very least.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:51:43 pm

My answers are a bit slow here (still in moderation mode, might be for a while still). It does work at my end. I have no idea what David is trying, or why it isn't working. If you would like me to walk you through, I'd happily do that.

I did export an XML-file from FCPX 10.1. Imported it back in. Everything came through nicely. Apart from the settings on published parameters on my Motion templates. They were reset to the default values (=not included in the export). This is an issue, yes, but shouldn't be too damn icky for the apples to toss a fix together on that. Feels more like (again) something overlooked.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:12:03 pm

Ok. Admittedly, some of the published parameters came through. In my text templates (lower thirds, subtitles) text were exported/imported. Rigs, drop boxes, colour settings, build in/out-settings did not. Which surely is a bummer if your work heavily relies on Motion Templates and riggings of those.

So far we are at our facility still in wait and see-modus. And we will surely not make any decisions just yet. More likely late 2011/early 2012. And FCPX is as we see it not yet the thing we need. Yet. I would very much like it to get there though. There are some fun rides.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:34:56 pm

Just did. Worked for me.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:30:33 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] ""Coming in early 2012"

Where did you see "early"... it says 2012... that's anytime until December

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:33:01 pm

[Mitch Ives] "
Where did you see "early"... it says 2012... that's anytime until December"

It says Early 2012 pretty big at the bottom of this page:

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:38:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "It says Early 2012 pretty big at the bottom of this page:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/software-update.html"

That is good news...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:51:26 pm

[Mitch Ives] "That is good news..."

Given what we've seen with the June 21 release (last week of the promised June delivery) and this 20 September update (promised as "this summer") I would expect Early 2012 to mean the last week of April ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:15:19 pm

Back on my paper route (before they decided that somehow kids on bikes were unacceptable and gave those jobs to middle aged folks in cars) I had a customer who had called the newspaper and annoyed someone enough to vocalize the target standard delivery time for morning news papers as 6am.

In truth, our papers arrived at our particular drop station around 5:20 and my route was large enough that those at the end of the route were lucky to get their papers by 6:15 many mornings.

Still, that customer would position himself at his back door at 6:00 SHARP every single morning - and if his paper was was even 1 minute late he'd glare at me as if I'd vomited on his breakfast.

I learned a lot from Mr. E. First, I learned anxiety. Some mornings I'd alter my route and ride to his house first, keeping him happy, but inconveniencing both me (much farther to ride with full paper bags!) and the other customers who were delayed in order for me to satisfy his inflexible needs.

As I grew up a bit, that experience taught me that trying to satisfy the needs of every individual is a losers game.

And that getting things right for the largest group is often a superior strategy over getting it perfect for a minority.

You want to parse Apple's whispering for dates and make that your religion, feel free.

Maybe I can find out if Mr. E is still alive and you two can form a club?

Just sayin...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:13:19 pm

I think we need to keep our perspective. This is a very minor update, not some major, "let me fix all the missing stuff" kind of update. The 2012 update sounds a bit more promising... of course depending upon when it comes out, FCP X could be almost a year old by then... which would make those two additions a lot less impressive. I know... I know... I'm supposed to give them 10 years to flesh in this revolutionary, "change the paradigm" flying car.

And no, I don't think Apple had a grand plan all along, as has been suggested in a earlier email. I think they released a beta (or alpha) version and got their as@ handed to them, so they jumped in and did damage control. That's what this limited XML and Xsan support is in this update.

Hopefully by next June, we'll get more than just Multicam and professional desktop monitoring. Since they seem to be reacting to our criticisms and pressure, it's up to us to keep the pressure on and make it happen. Tim's right... this forum is serving a vital purpose.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:17:40 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Where did you see "early"... it says 2012... that's anytime until December"

I copied and pasted from the website:

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:36:32 pm

[Brent Hannigan] "A promising sign."

The best part of this is:

Townhill admits, however, that several promised features have yet to be implemented, above all multicam editing and broadcast video monitoring. He elaborates that Apple is "fully committed" to adding the options in a 2012 update.

That's the first time broadcast monitoring has been mentioned. I just hope it won't be only through a Thunderbolt device...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:10:28 pm

From the MacWorld Article -

“The professional [editor] is critical to Apple, and it’s a customer we don’t want to lose,” said Richard Townhill, Apple’s director of pro video product marketing, in a conversation with Macworld.

About time someone from Apple actually stepped up and made this statement, though at this point it probably means "it's a customer we're working on getting back".

Does anyone have any history on Mr. Townhill? I'm not familiar with him.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:39:24 pm

Just did an export of a timeline in XML.

Then reimported.

Worked perfectly.

Lance

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:50:34 pm

[Lance Moody] "Just did an export of a timeline in XML.

Then reimported.

Worked perfectly."

Pretty odd since neither worked here and still don't.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:02:07 pm

Yeah, It took no time at all.

I also tried applying optical flow to several clips (previously a reliable crasher) and that seemed to work.
I am still working on the first project I have tried on X, a largish documentary short film. I've been working on the project sporadically over the past month.
There are truly things that I don't or didn't like about X but this morning (prior to the update), I felt like I was really getting into the rhythm of it. This update comes at a perfect time for me.

Lance

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:33:35 pm

XML Export and Import of a current FCPX project worked for me.

Roles are sweet. This is exactly how I would imagine it worked. Now they need to extrapolate this out to the effects of the timeline.

It seems as well, that Events are working on my NTFS formatted metaSAN controlled SAN. That's pretty huge.

Multitrack QT Exports work well.

Call me a geek or whatever, but this is looking good. I need video out! Earlier than 2012! :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
It's working now!
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:14:12 pm

[Lance Moody] "Just did an export of a timeline in XML.

Then reimported.

Worked perfectly."

Okay, after a reboot, both XML In and Out are now working. That's why I wrote "appears" to be DOA in my original post.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Erik Lundberg
Re: It's working now!
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:59:12 pm

Out of curiosity, now that it does work for you, do the things not coming through the XML roundtrip for me work for you (any of you)? IE published parameters settings on custom Motion Templates? I have yet to try the built-in templates (still a bit afraid of them), so I don't know if it's just the home made ones.

Erik Lundberg

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:13:00 pm

and you call yourself a journalist..you didn't even try and see if there was a solution...your tainted experience suggested to others that the xml didn't work, yet it was your own inability to simply bother and reboot to condemn this update...shame on you for being so one sided! your prejudiced view of this software is what is contributing to its tough birth! give it a rest already and next time be sure to get all the information before presenting your facts...as any good journalist would do!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:30:52 pm

[kim krause] "and you call yourself a journalist." Rest of the "shame on you rant" cut.

Whoa there, Kim. This is a forum, not a news outlet. We discuss things and try to work them out. I'm not exactly sure why you are so hostile in your last post, but really it is no big deal. In fact, it is not even a little deal. My $.02, anyway.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:49:22 pm

[Chris Harlan] "We discuss things and try to work them out. I'm not exactly sure why you are so hostile in your last post, but really it is no big deal. In fact, it is not even a little deal. My $.02, anyway."

And, apparently in her zeal to attack, Ms. Krause didn't bother to read the subject header of my original post in which I wrote: "10.1 XML Import Test - Appears to be DOA," nor did she notice that in my conclusion I wrote: "I'd love to know if someone else gets a different result."

Ms. Krause's hostility toward me and others who don't share her beliefs is very sad. This is after all only software.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58:21 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Ms. Krause's hostility"

I do believe that Kim is a fella, even though he made some reference once upon a time to how he looked in a dress.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:36:09 pm

q[Chris Harlan] "I do believe that Kim is a fella, even though he made some reference once upon a time to how he looked in a dress."

Gosh, are you certain Chris? Given his/her highly emotional response and the motherly attachment to the FCP X software he/she exhibits, I was sure Kim had to be a female.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:48:21 pm

so now you're a sexist pig as well as a bad journalist....you can insult me all you want...i was just pointing out your lack of ability as a journalist...don't have to get all hot and bothered...and your condescending attitude towards females makes me glad that i'm not one! what is with you that you can't even take a knock. are you so soft skinned that i hurt your tiny feelings.....i've never met a bigger bunch of sissies in my life as on these forums...everyone pretends to be so polite and so politically correct but i just see a bunch of sad ass hypocritical know it alls. lighten up already. i never mean to insult anyone. i'm just blunt because i don't have time for all the b.s. my comments are just my observations and if i observe that someone if full of crap i'll say so...doesnt mean i'm right but i should be able to say what i think? no? guess i better just shut up and let you guys all jerk each other off...or am i not allowed to say that either! really?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:55:43 pm

[kim krause] "your condescending attitude towards females makes me glad that i'm not one!"

Sounds like you're a bit conflicted Kim. Did that name get you teased a lot in school?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:04:07 pm

This can't be the real DRW, can it?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:12:48 am

I think perhaps you should consider reading the COW's Policies and Code of Conduct.

It may not be my place to say, but I think some of your comments are in violation of the COW's policy.

Are you actually a contributing editor and forum host for the COW?

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:48:46 am

Just to be clear, I am referring to David Roth Weiss's comments that were directed to Kim Krause.

Return to posts index

Gerald Baria
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:33:35 am

Wow. You guys are ridiculous. Thats a pretty lapse in judgement though sir. Your an institution, authority in this forum, what you say matters. So being quick to judge without exploring all options first really takes a toll on your bias image against FCPX. Just sayin.

Quobetah
New=Better

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:19:49 am

Yeah, when I saw the dead on arrival thread which was up in moments after the software was released, I did think it was pretty ridiculous and showed great, not to mention silly, bias.

Lance

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:00:57 am

thanks lance..thats all i wanted to hear.....i still don't like the guy's attitude and now i won't respect his opinion either!

Return to posts index

Reed Black
on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:18:08 pm

Thanks Kim! Finally! I said this about him, directly to him, when FCPX was first released. I was criticized for saying "although FCPX had its flaws its still an AWESOME program." And he immediately attacked me for it. Not a fan of this guy at all and he comes across smug in type as he does in his photo. DRW learn how to conduct yourself professionally here, seriously. Because you come across as a total A--HOLE! Not just in this thread but others where I've seen you post. Rant over. Done.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:55:33 am

[Reed Black] " I said this about him, directly to him, when FCPX was first released. I was criticized for saying "although FCPX had its flaws its still an AWESOME program." And he immediately attacked me for it."

Deception by omission.
You have left out why you were being criticized, and are making it sound like David swooped down from the clouds and randomly picked you out for no apparent reason. This is not accurate at all.
The way I remember this, David pointed out that you were calling X "an AWESOME program", and going on and on about how great it was, without ever having used it, but I don't recall the part where he attacked you. Which by the way I would say is a proper thing to do since your post could influence those on the fence into making a purchase, only to find out it was not as "AWESOME" as you claimed. To call someone out for for giving what amounts to a glowing review of something they haven't actually used ( by your own admission) isn't really "an attack".
However saying you were 'attacked' when you weren't, actually is an attack. How ironic.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 24, 2011 at 9:57:11 am

hey reed...glad some one else can see my side. i can't stand the arrogance of some of these people. they are so shit scared of change and losing jobs to the new generation of up and comings! an open mind is all that i am asking.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:37:44 pm

[kim krause] " i can't stand the arrogance of some of these people. they are so shit scared of change and losing jobs to the new generation of up and comings! an open mind is all that i am asking."

Do you have any idea how malformed and simple minded this argument sounds? Nobody here is scared of change. You can't be in this industry without embracing change. It's a constant because it's the nature of the tech the industry is built upon.

Instead of whinging about the lack of open minds (and demonstrating exactly the opposite) you may try reflecting on the old adage: "Build a better mousetrap...and the world will beat a path to your door." Not exactly what's going on, is it? So I guess resistance to change is really not what this is all about.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:30:38 pm

[kim krause] "i can't stand the arrogance of some of these people. they are so shit scared of change and losing jobs to the new generation of up and comings"

Not sure who you are referring to. You and Reed can have all the 15 dollar an hour Cragslist gigs, and low pay grinders that come down the pike, as most of us are not 'worried' that you, or FCP X glee club will take these from us. As for real jobs, I would say the odds of finding that crashed UARS satellite in your backyard this morning are a lot better than they are of real editors loosing any jobs to you two guys. If anyone on this forum sounds "arrogant" or "shit scared", not to mention ill-mannered and ill-informed, it would be you and Reed. Plus your profanity laced, off topic, chest thumping posts on here make you both sound like the last two guys on earth any client would want to be sitting in a room with for hours, or doing business with. You should keep in mind this is a forum for professionals, and not 4chan, and try to act accordingly in the future and exercise some decorum.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 24, 2011 at 7:37:36 pm

actually i have a lot of clients and they all love me...i've been doing this since you were in diapers so i think i have earned my right to my opinion and know not everyone will agree. but that's the point, it's my opinion and over the years my ideas have all born fruit in reality. you want profanity? go stick your head up your posterior....see i didn't even have to swear to prove my point!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:12:20 am

An official reminder to please address the topic, and avoid comments about other people posting. There's plenty to get worked up about without getting personal.

As my parents used to say, "I don't care who started it. Cut it out."

(For the record, my sister always started it.)

Tim
COW

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 25, 2011 at 1:48:30 am

[kim krause] "actually i have a lot of clients and they all love me...i've been doing this since you were in diapers so i think i have earned my right to my opinion and know not everyone will agree. but that's the point, it's my opinion and over the years my ideas have all born fruit in reality. you want profanity? go stick your head up your posterior....see i didn't even have to swear to prove my point!"

LOL. That would make you about 80 years old, and most likely nothing but hyperbole. But it would explain the whole get off my lawn mentality.
FYI, if you want to waste bandwidth bragging about your 'clients' that love you so much, you might want to at least use proper punctuation, capitalization and grammar if you expect anyone over the age of ten to take you seriously.
BTW, there's an app for that.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:23:02 pm

[Reed Black]
"Thanks Kim! Finally! I said this about him, directly to him, when FCPX was first released. I was criticized for saying "although FCPX had its flaws its still an AWESOME program." And he immediately attacked me for it."

Actually, Reed, he wasn't doing that at all. He was responding to the part of your post where you stated you hadn't even used FCP-X:

[Reed Black]
"…I gotta say, having read through the manual and watched videos on what IT CAN DO (haven't bought it yet) its AWESOME!......This is coming from someone who's been editing professionally since 1996. I started on a movieola, move to a flatbed KEM, then to AVID, then to FCP.....This new version has left some things out (which I understand will be back) but for now its NOT ready for primetime but when it is BOY... its going to dominate the industry like never before."

And he replied:

[David Roth Weiss]
"Reed,

You're brand new to this site, and by your own admission you neither
bought or tested FCP X, yet you're suddenly qualified to influence
readers by characterizing this new product as "AWESOME!"?

Wading in on this or any other subject on which you have zero
experience is not a good way to establish yourself here, nor does it
do service to anyone.

With all the experience you claim, it would behoove you to reserve
issuing advice to others on FCP X and anything else until you have
gained at least some firsthand experience with the product."

To claim that he was taking you to task for calling FCP-X "Awesome" is disingenuous. He was merely pointing out that your opinion of its awesomeness and industry-dominating future was an opinion without the foundation of any first hand knowledge. In other words, pretty much worth ziltch.

You then go on to advise Mr. Weiss:

[Reed Black] " DRW learn how to conduct yourself professionally here, seriously. Because you come across as a total A--HOLE! Not just in this thread but others where I've seen you post"

If any derogatory epithets are going to be slung around here you're doing a good job of getting more than few running through my head. However, this list is best served by restraint, advice I have to take myself in this thread, and if you stop to think about it, advice which David was giving you in his post.

While David may not share your opinion of the glowing future of X, he stands in the company of the great majority of high end users, some of whom are even fanboys. People who've been around for a while see through puff and pretense, not to mention wishful thinking. So if you're going to take him or anyone else to task for not sharing your point of view do it honestly. And have more rationale than "I read through the manual and watched videos."

BTW if you really started editing on a Moviola in 1996, it doesn't serve your professional credentials to tout it. Just say'in.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25:09 am

A minor faux pas on Mr. Weiss's part. Given the rich and intelligent input he has provided, I have MUCH more faith in his "credibility" than the nasty few in this thread.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:27:04 am

Not so minor, actually.

Mr Weiss self-described as a "journalist" in this very forum. So he's positioning himself as a writer who should be judged by journalistic standards.

Heck, I spent 10 years as a contributing editor at a national circulation video magazine and I don't presume to apply that professional title to myself.

And sorry, but going public with assertions that a critical new feature fails to work, then admitting that you didn't even take the most rudimentary steps to confirm that before posting it is not confidence building.

In his defense, he was quick to correct the public record as soon as he realized that his experiences weren't backed up by others public experiences - but that's precisely the kind of thing that working in professional publishing teaches you to be wary of. I know my editors always challenged me to be sure that anything I wrote purporting to be fact as opposed to personal opinion had to have a solid factual basis before the work was published.

In the blog era, vetting for accuracy is largely a thing of the past.

Think it, post it - is the rule of the day as if these were private conversations between friends rather than public forum posts read by a world wide audience.

No wonder so much of what passes by on the web proves to be ill conceived....

Got to go now, II have to mail some money to the Ethopians so that they can send me my lottery winnings...

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:39:20 am

Good thing we can always count on your self-righteousness to keep us all in line Bill, eh?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:34:50 am

Saying this to a LOT of people all at once -- yes, this is a full-contact forum, but please abide by the cardinal rule of addressing the issue, not the character or intent of the poster.

The feature is working. Good. Now please help us return the forum to its working order.

Blessings,

Tim
COW

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:58:46 am

thank you bill....that's all i was trying to say...as a "journalist" and "respected" expert on this forum it is mr weiss's responsibility to provide information that is correct and unbiassed. he has shown a distaste for fcpx since its release. i was just trying to point that out to him, but when he implies that women are whining and emotional, i have to take offense. if i was a woman i would walk right over and slap him in the face...and his last comment to me about being teased because of my name just shows to me what a sexist, bully of a person he can be. i ruffled his feathers and called him out on what i considered bad judgement in his posting of the heading that xml doesn't work in fcpx. he got all stuffy about it so i slapped his wrist...just a tap mind you....hey a "real" man should be able to take a few knocks i figure! thank you to everyone else who obviously agreed with me because i see by most of the responses that i was in the right by challenging him..imagine me, a sissy dress wearing old fag, challenging that mean old man!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:29:16 pm

[Bill Davis] "going public with assertions that a critical new feature fails to work, then admitting that you didn't even take the most rudimentary steps to confirm that before posting it is not confidence building."

Gosh Bill, I wish the XML I/O had worked the first time I installed it instead of the third time, but that's just one of the hazards of taking risks and being a leader who's the first to try new things.

The fact is, my custom settings in FCP 7 are set to 99 levels of undo. I make mistakes all day long, and I have no problem admitting to them. However, my mistake in this case had nothing to do with failing to take the rudimentary steps to confirm what I wrote before posting. Sadly, that's just you trying to elevate yourself by climbing on my back. Someday, if you're lucky, you'll discover that only works for those who surround themselves with small people.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:18:43 am

Wow David. If you tell'em you're not drinking their Koolaid they do seem to turn into a bunch of c***s, no matter what their sex. Props to you for maintaining your beleagered integrity. It's not easy when silly fanaticism runs rampant.

To those critical of DRW's objectivity: grow up. It's software not a religion. The man is as neutral about FCX as anyone here.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:13:13 am

actually dearest david i never got teased in school..there were 3 other guys named kim in my school...one of them a football player, and the other one a great guitar player. did you get teased for your name? what a stupid question....is that the best you got? i was glad to see that other people agreed with me on challenging your post of the xml functions in FCPX. if you're gonna be a journalist just give fair and accurate reporting. imagine a car reviewer doing a story on some new model and he craps all over it because he couldn't turn off the wipers. you are a respected member of this forum...i won't doubt that, but you have to be fair in what you say. a lot of people look to you for advice. also a lot of what happens with fcpx being supported rests on apple's plans for the future. as i've mentioned many times, if you don't like it don't buy it, but making negative comments on a product we all know is far from finished in no way helps anyone. i look forward to the day when fcpx is a stable well running and mature bit of software.....remember the first version of mac osx...what a piece of garbage but we all lived with it and it has become a world class operating system. maybe fcpx will never regain its former glory, but lets at least give it a chance. can we kiss and make up now?

Return to posts index

Mark Malboeuf
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:16:20 pm

All Rightee Then! This thread is officially off the rails. The problem I'm having with the update is:

* I wasn't automatically notified that there was one.
* When I go to Software Update, the FCPX/Motion/Compressor updates don't appear.
* When I go to the App Store, updates for Motion and Compressor show, but FCPX appears as if I never bought it (the button still has the price listed), even though I did.
* When I try to update Motion and Compressor, it fails.

How were the rest of you notified/able to update? Via normal means?

Thanks,

Mark Malboeuf
Screentracks, Inc.

Return to posts index

nick hartcher
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:51:17 pm

is there anywhere to download the updates without the app store?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:21:39 am

The fix to install update for me was to delete the original then buy again (free of course).
However I started my first class teaching FCPX tonight and found my Events and Projects not working at local college due to older FPCX version.
No biggie just rebuild it during class time.

I did also notice that to use XML export you need to select the project from list.
Dumb was trying to export from timeline...and I call myself a teacher :P

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:57:42 pm

If you are not here to insult, please leave. ;-)

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:48:10 pm

hahaha...i get that a lot, but i enjoy the heated discussions! and also stirring the pot a bit!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:57:01 pm

This sounds like it might be an App Store database glitch. I've seen it happen with the iTunes Store on several occasions. I would email support, and they will most likely fix it for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]