FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render files - a mess!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Render files - a mess!
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:49:52 pm

I was one of those who jumped forward and purchased FCPX form the beginning, but quickly found out that it couldn't supply my needs - so I gave it to my wife, an artist who wants to begin working with video.
Since she quickly began working with several layers, and transfer modes, she experienced FCPX loosing performance, and I advised her to enable background rendering.

Yes this made her editing life easier - but after a few weeks her Mac ran totally out of space. So, as every nice husband does, I tried to examine the problem. The result: two short projects were swallowing almost 50Gb of space - just for the Render files! And I was amazed with the large number of Render files receding in her Projects folder.

From the scope of the projects she was working on it seems crazy that the Render files should take up that much space. My guess is that FCPX does not delete the unneeded Render files. This could turn out to be a real problem for the non-professional editor, or anybody who doesn't take a critical look at disc space consumption regularly.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Render files - a mess!
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:07:05 pm

Morten,

When hard drives were $1000 per gigabyte it paid to examine the problem and to deal with clearing space from the drives. However, now that hard drives can be acquired for $80 for 2 terabytes, or 4-cents per gigabyte, it makes little sense to spend time think about 50Gb of storage space. Your time has got to be worth more than $2.00 of storage you are concerned about. Right?

FCP X works with ProRes natively, and ProRes is approximately 75Gb per hour, so you're going to have to learn to deal with it. So, buy that wonderful woman a big new hard drive and get back to work.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:15:10 pm

You are exactly proving my point here. Prores should ONLY be 75Gb/hour - so there is no logic in render files for two short 4-5 minute projects taking up 50Gb, unless FCPX is creating a mess - which I bet you is the problem here!

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, File Server w. X-Raid
.... and FCPX in the garbage bin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:22:21 pm

No, it doesn't auto delete render files for you. I'm not sure of any NLE that does.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24:35 pm

FCP does (in some cases). If you change a filter setting or so on a clip, it will override the old render file.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:30:04 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "FCP does (in some cases). If you change a filter setting or so on a clip, it will override the old render file.
"

No, it leaves it there and makes a new one. This is really easy to track and watch while you do it.

If you're wife is experimenting and constantly changing settings and such, the background render is always going to render, therefore adding up new render files.

An external disk will be better as it will add more space and speed as well, plus as David says, it's pretty cheap these days.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:35:51 pm

I thought it wasn't possible to change the render file location for FCPX - doesn't it just force itself upon your startup disc?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:39:42 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "I thought it wasn't possible to change the render file location for FCPX - doesn't it just force itself upon your startup disc?"

There's two places for render files, with your Event and with your Project.

You can put your Events/Projects on any OSX Extended disk.

Yes, it defaults to your startup disk, but so does FCP Legacy. You have to move it over to another disk by using the Finder or FCPX to move the Events/Projects.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Poll
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:30:24 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "No, it leaves it there and makes a new one. This is really easy to track and watch while you do it."

Actually, FCP 7 will delete and clean-up unused render files, but it only appears to do so when you close a project. This is pretty easy to verify, just drop a clip onto a timeline and add a colour correction. Render it out. Add another effect, render it out. Add a third effect and render it out. In your render cache you'll find the 3 render files, but once you close the project, render files 1 and 2 will disappear, leaving only the most current one remaining.

This actually caused me some trouble in the past, as I would sometimes "borrow" timelines from one show to make another (it was a simple interview show, with a common format of interviewee/movie clip/interviewee/movie clip/etc. I would replace the clips and interviews, but keep the opening and closing as it was common to all shows. I was always a bit annoyed to find that when I went back to the original project, all my colour-corrected clips were now unrendered, because FCP had done a "render clean-up" in the new project, but in so doing wiped out the render files from the old one. The way to work around this was to copy the *contents* of the timeline, and not the actual timeline itself. I was a bit mystified at first, because although I had copied the sequence from one project to another, I had saved the new project with a different name which I thought would be sufficient to "break/isolate" the link, but no go... FCP would trace back to the original workspace and delete the render files there.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:45:41 am

I've never seen this before, but that's OK.

It still leaves behind old and unused render files as does fcpx. It is mostly the users duty to trash them.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24:35 pm

It's not just the finished product that's transcoded/rendered as ProRes, it's everything in the project.

That being said, I'm not disagreeing with you about FCP X in general.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:26:44 pm

I wasn't counting in the transcoded media - just the render files!

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:49:12 pm

Simply select your project, go to File->Delete Project Render Files. Then choose if you want to delete all render files or just unused renderfiles.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:51:56 pm

Is there a render manager similar to FCP 7 -- where you can - from within FCPX - just delete selected - or all render files and if so where is it hiding?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:55:28 pm

File>Delete Project Render Files is your friend. Similar to Render Manager in previous versions.

NT

Return to posts index

Edeevardian Ear
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:41:59 pm

Hi there.

Perhaps I've missed the answer to this one, seems to be a few different responses on this subject BUT....I have a ton of render files for FCP on my MAC. It's taking up almost a terabyte of space ( sure not alot of space these days, but I need to clear it) . IF I delete all these render files, will I have to re-render the videos (which were originally rendered) in the Sequences, for each project?

I am editing a few documentary projects, so my concern is having to re-render everything ( two projects which are 1 hour and 40 mins each of edited material ready to export into an .mov ) , I only need to clear up space on my MAC. No Im not working off a hard drive, ive lost material that way. I am working off my computer.

Thanks so much!

desperate in render file land help!

-edee

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:59:11 pm

In the project library, select a project then choose File> delete project render files. It will give you a choice to delete ALL Render files or delete unused render files. If you choose to delete unused render files, it will clear up some space and leave the renders that are used in the sequence so you won't have to re-render.

More important is the statement "no, I'm not working off a hard drive, I've lost material that way". Of course you mean "not working from an external Hard drive, and of course it is also a hard drive which is inside your computer that you are working from. Regardless of using an internal or external hard drive, it's still a hard drive. It will fail and you will lose material yet again. My point is that you need to get a backup system in place. You must have at LEAST two copies of the original material, on separate drives. I'd recommend another drive dedicated to Time Machine as well. Working from an external drive is not only standard practice, but is also recommended by many as opposed to working from the system drive that your OS and Apps are installed on. It's a lot to ask of a crappy spinning disk hard drive... Run my OS, run my NLE, play my media, create thumbnails and wave forms, play my media, render my effects etc. etc. etc. and do it all at once really fast! An external RAID array is a good thing.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:56:04 pm

Simple housekeeping required.

Go to Project library window, select your project then File Menu, "delete project render files"

Everything in the project is NOT transcoded to ProRes, it only transcodes if you select "optimized media" and even then it only transcodes some footage. For example it leaves XDCam material native until you place any effects on the clips.

"My Name is Steve and I'm an FCPX user"

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:34:37 am

Um, technically speaking it does NOT leave XDCAM footage native. You are working with re-wrapped files which are a second set created when you bring them in. Wish that it did, it would half your data footprint. It is true to say that it leaves your re-wrapped XDCAM files native... until you apply effects.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:01:13 pm

This thread approaches my problem but not quite so I hope the group won't mind if I take it one step further...

I was editing on a video drive (not the boot drive) and ran out of disk space. I've moved the project and the event to a new drive but the project still insists on rendering to the previous (full) drive and I can find NOTHING that tells me how to force it to render to the new drive. Anyone?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:37:58 pm

[Don Smith] "Anyone?"

Eject the full drive.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:46:16 pm

RE: "Eject the full drive."

We're thinking alike. I did just that right after posting my question and when I did, the projects opened quickly and saved just fine and it allowed me to see the problem; there was missing media in three of the seven or eight projects that needed re-linking.

Apparently the media on the full drive was directing the Save functions to the full drive. That's my guess based on my observation.

When attempting to re-link to from the old Event to like-media in the new Event, the new media was a corrupted copy. How, I can't explain. It was a hassle but once I either re-linked to good media on the new drive or moved the Project to inactive status, I could remount the full drive and edit away on the new drive.

I did notice that a Project with a lot of missing media was not listed by Event X because it somehow got nested inside another project, yet FCPX still recognized it as its own Project. Once I de-nested the Project then Event X could properly see it and put it away and it no longer appeared in FCPX to mess things up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm here to verify that you are right.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 7:38:32 pm

[Don Smith] "Apparently the media on the full drive was directing the Save functions to the full drive. That's my guess based on my observation."

You have to move the Events/Projects out of the Final Cut Events/Projects folder on the full drive (with FCPX closed/quit). Otherwise, FCPX is trying to use two of the exact same projects/events and it can get confused.

[Don Smith] "I did notice that a Project with a lot of missing media was not listed by Event X because it somehow got nested inside another project, yet FCPX still recognized it as its own Project. Once I de-nested the Project then Event X could properly see it and put it away and it no longer appeared in FCPX to mess things up."

Any folder structure that is in your Project Library should mirror what's on your hard drive. Was that not the case?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:03:29 pm

That was indeed the case (the folder structure in the Projects mirrored the hard drive structure). I'm just saying Event X didn't 'see' the nested project and I was perplexed for a while why it didn't show up in Event X but was clearly there.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 20, 2012 at 8:23:31 pm

[Don Smith] "That was indeed the case (the folder structure in the Projects mirrored the hard drive structure). I'm just saying Event X didn't 'see' the nested project and I was perplexed for a while why it didn't show up in Event X but was clearly there."

I see.

I think Event Manager X only looks for the root directory on external drives, and the "movies" folder on internal drives.

This is part of the reason it doesn't work with SAN Locations as well.

I would send feedback to Intelligent Assistance and tell them what you found.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]