FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX-The Choice for a New Generation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Portnoy
FCPX-The Choice for a New Generation?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:27:07 am

My 11.5 year old daughter is expressing interest in learning how to edit video. While I have FCP 7 and PPro CS5.5, I was wondering what the community thought of having her be the FCPX guinea pig. She is a clean slate with zero hours logged learning any other workflow or paradigm. Aside from the $299, my concern is that she learns FCPX and then has to revert to FCP7/PPro. Without any income dependent deliverables due, curious what others opinions might be.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: FCPX-The Choice for a New Generation?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:37:51 am

Sounds like the perfect guinea pig. She arrives with no preconceived notions of what the inert face should be or do. I'd be curious to see how she does. Please keep us posted.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Ewan Lim
on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:31:22 am

Please document her progress! Would make a slightly good docu.

Ewan
Avid, FCS3, Premiere Pro, After Effects

Return to posts index

Jonathan White
on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:47:06 am

My 10 year old has been watching me edit on and off over the years... recently I've taken to making mini films with him and his friends... we can shoot in half an hour and edit in an hour with FCP X ready for upload to youtube (most of the films involve fighting and have re-enthused me for my work :-) ).... I left the boys at the edit suite while I went to make some lunch and when I came back they were cutting away... adding and moving sound fx mostly but it really is very intuitive for them... they love it...
For the most part I do too...
Johnny

Seanchas Productions, Galway, Ireland

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:15:59 am

Considering plenty of adults zone out as soon as you start talking about scratch disks and easy setups, I suspect the next generation will favour FCPX.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:36:41 pm

Funny, I've never ONCE discussed scratch disks and easy setups while cutting on Avid.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:44:04 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Funny, I've never ONCE discussed scratch disks and easy setups while cutting on Avid."

That's because you were too busy trying to explain why nobody wants to be trained in Avid any more.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:03:28 pm

[Ian Bailey] "That's because you were too busy trying to explain why nobody wants to be trained in Avid any more."

That's a bit of a silly statement. Personally, I'm quite enjoying my journey back to MC. The improvements are terrific. I'm really looking forward to the release of v6. I believe it is coming in December. I wonder if we will have those FCP X "in a few weeks" APIs and "summer updates" by then.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:19:09 pm

Try offering MC training and you'll see it's a true statement.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:35:33 pm

[Ian Bailey] "Try offering MC training and you'll see it's a true statement.
"

Certainly not a true statement here in Hollywood, Pal.

Return to posts index

illya laney
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:40:39 am

It's funny when people talk negatively about Avid when pretty much every one of their favorite shows and movies were edited with Media Composer. If we're going to talk about training...I'd argue that classroom training for Avid declined because of online tutorials and Avid offering free Media Composer trials. It's much cheaper to go that route than pay $700 for a weekend class.

twitter.com/illyalaney

nextLAB Mobile
SpeedGrade DI
Resolve
da Vinci 8:8:8 Renaissance
Color

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:10:43 pm

is that cause the edit assistant and technicians set up for you

moving media from avid is easy when done correctly to begin with, if done wrong can be slow to fix without a consolidate

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25:10 pm

My experience is give a ten-year-old just about any piece of software and they'll be using it inside of a hour.

It's about as meaningful a test as giving a hungry rabbit a carrot to see if he'll eat it.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:30:32 pm

That's only half the test. After they've had enough carrots you give them grass and carrots and see which they eat.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:47:54 pm

I don't think it makes an iota of difference what they "learn on." Lots of FCP and Avid editors (my superiors and myself included) learned editing on Premiere (before it became 'premiere pro') and it didn't change the fact that we learned FCP/Avid when transitioning into the television/film market.

So... FCPX is the new Premiere, maybe. I think it's great no matter what entry-level tool they use. It doesn't necessarily change what they end up using if they decide to do editing for a living.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:20:00 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "After they've had enough carrots you give them grass and carrots and see which they eat."

Let your rabbits smoke the grass they'll certainly eat more carrots.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:23:55 pm

What about iMovie? I guess I'm in the "what does it matter as long as she enjoys it" camp.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:27:48 pm

I'd say your daughter is a little young for FCPX. I've given it a thorough work out in the last few months and I'd say Apple's target market is 12 year year olds.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:24:08 pm

You're hilarious, Liam.

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14GB memory - OSX10.6.4 FCP7

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:48:26 pm

How old are sixth graders? 11? I've taught legacy FCP to sixth graders in Texas. I guess she could start with that and work her way up to X.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:50:23 am

Well, she's 11.5. By the time she enters university or college, or Art college, there will be so many changes in our industry it won't matter what she learned on.

The difference between someone who can edit, and someone who knows some software is the editor knows how to tell a story. What ever software you give her, make sure she learns how to tell a story. That will make the most difference in her years to come.

Oh, and don't be disappointed if at 11.75, she changes her mind and wants to be a director or something in fashion! :))

DBK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]