FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do FCPX book release dates imply anything?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Do FCPX book release dates imply anything?
on Sep 18, 2011 at 5:56:57 pm

As you might guess I like being detective and prognosticator provocateur.
Given that notoriety of the authors, the release dates intrigue me. Online training got out the door very quickly with RippleTraining(Steve Martin/Mark Spencer) and Larry Jordan, the official Apple books are later. Of course paper publishing takes longer but "shelf life" of books, tend to hope for some longevity. The above had foreknowledge of FCPX yet these dates are many months after the late June release.

My own guess is the dates start in October because they were stalled by knowledge of a preceding software update not yet released. Note that includes both the "official" books and the Brenneis/Wohl book.

I can't help but believe they are expecting noteworthy changes in FCPX before then.

Also interesting in that Richard Harrington, who has not been a fan FCPX is targeted for Nov. Granted a professional trainer might certainly release material for a product he might not embrace if the market is big enough . . . but that would imply a profitable market. I don't think the sales on these niche markets make anyone rich and if it's a "failing" product , that could even be a disincentive.

Interesting that the "official Advanced" FCPX book isn't scheduled until the end of the year, which I infer means yet another update will happen between the one about to be released and the end of the year.

I also wonder why Rick Young's book is so far into the future except maybe in anticipation of yet another software upgrade in spring.

I might infer from the dates that they'll be a late September or early October update (and I think we expect that one) but also an update in December and possibly another in March. Yes just crazy speculation on my part but I can't help but believe that Apple talked to these authors and their publishers about proximate significant feature (not just bug fix) update schedules.

Of course some might say some of these dates are based on speculation by the publishers in the hopes that they have viable books and a desire not to release a book that becomes irrelevant in the market very quickly due to unanticipated updates.

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X [Paperback]
Diana Weynand (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Final-Cut/dp/0321774671
Release date: Oct 10, 2011

Apple Pro Training Series: Motion 5 [Paperback]
Mark Spencer (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Motion-5/dp/032177468X
Release date: Oct 24, 2011

From Still to Motion: Editing DSLR Video with Final Cut Pro X [Paperback]
Richard Harrington (Author), Robbie Carman (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Still-Motion-Editing-Video-Final/dp/0321811259
Release date: Nov 5, 2011

Final Cut Pro X: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual Quickstart Guides) [Paperback]
Lisa Brenneis (Author), Michael Wohl (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Cut-Pro-QuickStart-Quickstart/dp/0321774663
Release date: Nov 7, 2011

Final Cut Pro X: Making the Transition [Paperback]
Larry Jordan (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Cut-Pro-Making-Transition/dp/0321811267
Release date: Dec 1, 2011

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X Advanced Editing [Paperback]
Michael Wohl (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Advanced-Editing/dp/0321810228
Release date: Dec 25, 2011

The Focal Easy Guide to Final Cut Pro X [Paperback]
Rick Young (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Easy-Guide-Final-Cut/dp/0240523830
Release date: March 8, 2012

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Do FCPX book release dates imply anything?
on Sep 18, 2011 at 6:41:42 pm

I think you're reading too much into it.

The Weynand book is locked and with the printers. The Weynand book will release sooner. That's the Amazon ship date.

The advanced FCP books are always later because they are dependent on the content of the first book. Some effort is made to reduce redundancy.

Young's book is late because he doesn't write for Peachpit but for Focal and doesn't get an advance release of the software. Focal is slow.

I am surprised Lisa book is so far behind, and also this seems to be the first time she has a co-author.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 8:47:52 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "I think you're reading too much into it.

The Weynand book is locked and with the printers. The Weynand book will release sooner. That's the Amazon ship date."

Final Cut Studio was released in July 23 2009 and the official Peachpit book for FCP7 was released on Aug 11, 2009, just a three weeks later. Yet these books are being released nearly four months after FCPX, arguably a simpler program, was released.

The Peachpit release date is September 30th. so it's only 10 days earlier than Amazon. Assuming Apple keeps to "summer" that date would be just after the next update (assuming it happens within 12 days). The other Peachpit vs Amazon release dates follow a similar time frame.

The FCPX Advanced book is Dec 15th for example. FCP7 Advanced was released Dec 23, 2009 which was 5 months past the released whereas FCPX Advanced is 6 months past the release.

So Peachpit FCPX is 3 months later and FCPX Advanced is 1 month later that previous equivalent version on a program which has much fewer features.

Also the shelf life of FCPX are likely to be shorter given that typical time span between major FCS updates was around 2 years. FCPX updates periods are likely to be shorter and more piecemeal. If anything one would want to rush FCPX books out because they may be dates in under six months.

And you mention the Brenneis book being late as well.
Rick Young's equivalent FCP7 book was December 2009. His FCPX books is a four month longer span from the release of the program.

All the FCPX books show a common pattern. The Advanced book being the shortest but the other are as much as several months later.

So what's slowing down the entire publishing cycle of FCPX books for everyone?
If not impending software update then something else has slowed the publishing of all books, some significantly.

As an addendum, although maybe not relevant, while Apple has PDFs of the new Motion and Compressor, they still don't have one for FCPX (although easy enough to create with the print command).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 18, 2011 at 10:09:56 pm

These are entirely new books on entirely new software. All previous books were rewrites.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 10:29:13 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "These are entirely new books on entirely new software. All previous books were rewrites."

But this didn't cause a major change in the release for the video tutorials. Although those authors did have an advance. look. Even Mark Spencer's Motion 5 book is much later than his Motion 4 book.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 18, 2011 at 10:42:46 pm

Video tutorials are easy in comparison to book production. I don't think you appreciate how many people are involved in book publication and how complex publishing is, though much of it is self-inflicted by the publishers, big companies driven by multiple layers of committees.

Steve and Mark produce their own stuff. They had beta releases of the software after the showing in Cupertino in February. Pre-release versions after NAB. Same with Larry Jordan. Same with the other Peachpit authors. For book publication that's not much lead time. In fact it's quite remarkable that Diana got her book out on a wholly new piece of software so quickly.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:02:51 pm

This would be a serious problems especially for Peachpit if their "official" Apple FCP series were dated as soon as they were released, if a major FCPX update does happen. As it is, the shelf life is going to be shorter since I don't think anyone expects a near two year wait for a single major FCPX update that used to happen with the FCS/FCP releasees.

BTW I spent about six years doing the marketing videos for DoubleDay/Anchor in the '90s although these weren't tech books. I am aware of the book publishing process generally.

Return to posts index

Ian Bailey
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:12:49 am

I've been keeping an eye on the Weynand book release date thinking it might be delayed, but in the UK it's supposedly available from tomorrow:
http://amzn.to/r7Mrzp

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:48:19 pm

Interesting. Amazon US still says Oct 10
Peachpit has Sep 30 for both print and eBook.
Another interesting thing to note is that both Amazon sites have it listed as 600 pages but Peachpit has 544.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:57:12 pm

I think it's going to come in at under 500 unless that includes legal, filler, glossary, and index.

The Amazon number is still the pre-release number. Amazon puts up what the publisher puts out and it's very slow.

I had an FCE5 book on Amazon for a long time in pre-release. Guess that's not going to happen.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:41:33 am

[Craig Seeman] "I can't help but believe they are expecting noteworthy changes in FCPX before then.
"

As weeks become months and summer becomes fall, ever the optimist, you read book leaves as if they were tea leaves, and look to October. You have a tenacious faith. Hey, I hope you are right.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:58:37 am

The clock does tick for me too.
Great potential has its limits. This could be Apple's Steve Dalkowski moment (you have to be a really dedicated baseball fan and historian to know that name).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:33:16 am

OK, so I googled him, but I don't get the analogy, though it does sound like there's a good one in there somewhere.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:02:25 pm

Better potential than any professional based on anecdotal speed reports. Never got out of the minor leagues due to poor control. So wild that hitters felt he was dangerous to face. Some feel this is FCPX. Phenomenal potential, poor control. Will control be improved enough to become a major league/professional star or will it remain a minor league legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dalkowski

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:28:59 pm

good analogy: faster than the pros but not ready for prime time.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:40:05 pm

FCPX 10.0.1 is beginning to address the control issue. The Roles feature is a good step. Being able to add dissolves to Connected Clips is another.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:50:59 pm

agreed. if updates come fast as this, all the third parties give it their best kiss, the quick different drummer will beat its way pro. apple dismissed their all star vet for an i-aged rookie still green and wet.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:46:38 am

I never said it was bad for all users.

The book is being written for photographers. A group I have frequently worked with to help learn video.

As an Aperture user and knowledgable person in the Apple ecosystem, I think the app is good for very many folks.

Am I happy with how folks were misled about features and updates.. nope.
Do I wish a 64-bit version of FCP 8 came out. yep.
Do I think its a good app for some folks. absolutely
Can I use it in my 10-person production company for 98% of our projects and workflows. Not yet.

I have always been vocal about what I love and what I hate. And there is a thin line between.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]