FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Final Cut Pro X has ruined us all

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Why Final Cut Pro X has ruined us all
on May 21, 2011 at 10:04:24 pm

Well, I hoped the rapture would fix this, but I guess it's not. For a while now, I've been naively trying to keep a positive spin on Final Cut Pro X, but the reality is we're all doomed, and here's why.

First, and really foremost, the new Final Cut has been rewritten in some new fancy computer code, supposedly in some kind of 64 bit thingee. 64 bits? 64? That number is twice as big as the bits I've been using. I don't trust 64 bits and I never will. Avid's newest offering isn't 64 bits, and it's AVID for Chrissakes! They INVENTED television!

Second, this new program is horribly inexpensive. I mean, just anybody can buy this application now, which confuses me because I like telling people Final Cut costs over a thousand dollars and then watching them glaze over. For $400, I feel really unprofessional. I like my tools nice and expensive - just look at my 24 karat gold garden hoe, for example. I'm a pro gardener now, see!

Third, look at those colors in their fancy-pants interface. It's all smug and purple and dark grey. It looks just like iMovie - and it makes me throw up in my mouth. I hate colors! I hate iMovie! I've never used iMovie!

Fourth, I watched that crappy keynote in Las Vegas. Awful. Apple couldn't even hold the camera right! Plus, I know for a fact they showed us every single feature to expect in the new Final Cut Pro X, because i talked to a guy who is friends with the cousin of a guy that has a friend that works for Apple and that's what he was told. There will be no other features besides what we saw. Steve Jobs has #$#%'ed us.

5th, everybody uses Adobe premiere now. And by everybody, I mean nobody, but that's not the point. Adobe Premiere can do everything Final Cut X can do, before we even know what it can do, so stop telling me anything new about Final Cut Pro X.

And 6th, Steve Jobs hates everything. He hates editing. He hates movies. He hates your dog. Most importantly, Steve Jobs hates Pro users. Think that's not the case? Pop Quiz- what's the names of the CEO's of AVID and ADOBE - buzzzzz - game over. You lose. You have no idea who they are, and if you did, you probably can't spell their names anyways. Here's what they DO know though - they love flash and premiere doesn't work well with ProRes.

7th, I used to be able to have a life outside of editing. It was called rendering. Remember that? You could go to lunch, come back, and still be rendering. Want a dissolve with that? You got it - see you tomorrow. Now, this stupid new final cut seems to just do all the rendering on it's own, like some kind of machine or something. I did not ask for this. I needed that extra time to post stupid things on the Creative Cow boards. Now that time is gone. GONE!

And lastly, Color. They didn't show color at the supermeet, so it's obviously been discontinued. In fact, the day X is released, a team of gestapo/apple agents are going to break into your home and delete color. Then, color will be taken back to the apple compound and waterboarded until it admits it's a really ugly interface and clunky as heck. Then, it will be paraded around campus in a crown made of thorns. For the rest of our lives all our shots will be bright orange, because as the demo proved, that's the only color FCPX can correct to.

So rather than wait for the CutPocolypse to occur next month, we're going out of business. Clearly, Apple has left us all behind.

Premiere, anyone?

John Davidson
PRO Gardener

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Why Final Cut Pro X has ruined us all
on May 21, 2011 at 10:48:02 pm

It's about time you came to your senses John.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 22, 2011 at 12:21:40 am

I like my editing nice and destructive, thank you very much!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on May 22, 2011 at 3:15:04 am

I made my wife get out of bed just so I could read this to her LOL. Well done . . .

Return to posts index

David Monroe
on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:42:53 pm

What!? Somebody told me Final Cut had been rendered castratto but I've been too busy editing to verify. At least now I can mourn the loss of Final Cut instead of agonizing over the cancellation of the Steve Jobs Doll. With your May posting and one repsonse so far it looks like the debate, like the election, is already over.

Return to posts index

Wayan Palmieri
on May 22, 2011 at 4:38:59 am

Hi John the Gardner,

i had to reply to your post, i was without words on your negative attitude towards a great product and possibly some advances for everyone in the field of editing.

1. Yes, 64 bit, if you have not noticed all computing it advancing towards 64 bit, a more high end computing with faster processing which people like me need with all our apps and plugins we use. As far as Avid goes, they are a bit like Bill Gates with Steve Jobs, a few steps behind.

2. Cost of programs going down is a must to reach the mass market, this is a great sales strategy by Apple, get their product in more hands!!!

3. Yes, the interface is different, but would you prefer it to the Avid interface that seems to be the same since 1999? advances in technology also gives way advances in looks and styles, Apple has always been ahead of everyone in that sense, they create the market, not follow it:)

4. this one sounds like a fish story from the cousin of my sisters brothers mothers son, or something like that.

5. I have used Premiere, nothing against Adobe as they make great products, but i dont know very many post houses using premiere, do you Gardner?

6. Hmm, i see you are a Steve hater, negative energy dude:( Buzz kill.... As far as Flash goes, that is a thing of the past, HTML 5 will take over and run smoother and faster than Flash ever has..

7. i cant believe you say you like rendering time, come on... Work faster, get home sooner, See the light of day possibly, you know how many times i worked 36 hours straight cause of render waiting times, this will split the time in half or more and get the post time to move faster, we all love to actually live life and not just work, extra time for the Garden:):):)

8. Good riddance with Apple Color, real color programs like Davinci and also Scratch are just around the corner with great integration with Final Cut, need i say more?

So John, next time you want to rip something, please be better informed and not try to slam lies and BS to the editorial world....

and one last thing, do you work for Adobe? Seems so...

Wayan Palmieri
PRO EDITOR

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on May 22, 2011 at 5:38:22 am

Dude, it was joke!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Wayan Palmieri
on May 22, 2011 at 5:55:36 am

If it was a joke, i guess i am blind, but sounded like another Apple Neigh Sayer. There are loads of people putting down Apple and its products and i assume i was not the only person to not get the "Joke", if it was..

Anyways, cant wait for Final Cut Pro X to get out, someday.....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2011 at 6:29:36 am

[Wayan Palmieri] "If it was a joke, i guess i am blind,"

Don't worry. You won't need sight to edit with FCPX It will gather your client lists and send it to a prince in Nigeria or request that you send emergency funds to clients who had their wallets and passports stolen in a country they would have no reason to visit. Once spread it will target Avid and Premiere system, making those programs unable to start.

Judgement day is here. Today all the good editors were lifted to the promised place and all that we are left with is those who tell jokes and those who do not understand them. It is all written in the book of (Steve) Job(s).

"The Book tells the story of an extremely pious man named Jobs, who was very prosperous . . . Constantly fearing that his customers may have sinned and "cursed them in their hearts", he habitually offered burnt motherboards as a pardon for their sins. All of Job's software are destroyed. The house of FCP collapses killing all of Job's Final Cut Suite."

Return to posts index

Wayan Palmieri
on May 22, 2011 at 6:42:14 am

I see the Light!!!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 22, 2011 at 7:14:38 am

[Wayan Palmieri] "If it was a joke, i guess i am blind"

Not your best opening Wayan, but I assure you, it can only get better from here. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on May 22, 2011 at 12:52:12 pm

[Wayan Palmieri] "sounded like another Apple Neigh Sayer."

Get that dastardly "Neigh" sayer off of my land, this is a pasture not a paddock!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 22, 2011 at 1:29:43 pm

It was pretty clear to me that it was a joke as well!

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Eric Gersh
on May 27, 2011 at 4:40:03 am

"If it was a joke, i guess i am blind, but sounded like another Apple Neigh Sayer"

Woah, hope you don't edit comedy. It was hammer to the head satire mocking the people who've been posting whiney posts bashing FCP X based on the preview of a couple major features and the new interface.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 22, 2011 at 9:40:17 am

Wayne, I'm the biggest mac shill you'll ever meet. I was mocking all the x bashers.

Bloody amazing that you responded point by point. I feel a little bad that you wasted your time doing that, but it does make it all much funnier now :).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2011 at 1:39:59 pm

Although Wayan has given us a response we can all cut and paste to all the FCPX "May 21st ers" (doomsday sayers). Now we can go back to booking our clients on our Mayan calendar. At least that'll give use more than a year to use FCPX.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 22, 2011 at 1:51:31 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Now we can go back to booking our clients on our Mayan calendar. At least that'll give use more than a year to use FCPX."

Actually Craig, the world is ending on December 21st 2012 according to those pesky old Mayans. Since my birthday is in fact on December 21st, I'm seriously a bit torn. I mean, am I supposed to be planning a big final birthday bash early in the day, or do I simply assume the whole day is shot?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2011 at 5:02:45 pm

I've heard that the exact end time on December 21, 2012 is 11:11AM GMT (Universal Time) so plan your birthday accordingly.

Also please do make sure all your productions are paid in full by that date although do take into account that some banks may close early.

Please understand that any bugs still existing in FCPX as of that point, may not be fixed.
For those who will be continuing to use FCP7 you must consider that any rendering occurring at that point, may not be completed.

FCPX should present a much better end time experience.

David, explain to your Birthday Party guests that you will want to open your presents by 11:11AM GMT because ending without knowing may be extremely frustrating. Do make sure you request the Mayan calendar for 2013 forward on your gift registry, They should be back from the printer by then. Have a happy birthday.

Return to posts index

Untah Neighter
on Jun 19, 2011 at 2:06:31 pm

Hi Wayan the Palmieri,

Your point number 6 is a mother of all nonsenses. First learn the differences between Flash and HTML5, and then start s*****g about Flash going down in apocalyptic fashion. You are clearly out of your mind. Our company is a multimillion corporation, making 98% of its revenue doing animations and all kind of multimedia content using Flash and Papervision3 and to break your bubble, you really believe all those auto industry companies we serve will jump to HTML5 for no good reason? You will never ever be able to make such a polished and complex animations with HTML5. For God sakes HTML5 uses Flash to play complex sound sequences because it can not do it on its own, at least not properly. You are talking about Flash going down and in next couple of years I and so many others will still laugh at your stupid comment. Do some research prior you come out with comments like that.

Oh BTW, initial post was a joke. You're still not sure about that?

Return to posts index

Wayan Palmieri
on Jun 19, 2011 at 3:16:53 pm

yeah, i figured it was a joke since the 2nd reply....

too bad for your company, flash is so old fashioned...good luck...

Return to posts index

Roman Walker
on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:59:09 pm

Wayan, you should go ahead and add "TROLL" as the current job on your linkedin. Maybe also tweet about how you publicly tore down someone's "smug" post on the internetz; Apple just might thank you for so loyally defending them!

Take a joke man, because you come across as a total a**hole, which is not good for a self-proclaimed "PRO EDITOR".

Grow up and have some tact.

Return to posts index

Timothy Sorel
on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:10:40 pm

Very funny post John but seriously....

I have given FCPX a chance and I must say this should be called FCP?. The programmers are not at all sure who they are going after. The program is too complex for the 5th grader and too simple for the pro editor. The color correction for instance almost gives you what you need...but not quite. Can they fix it? Sure. A frame viewer and the ability to break the waveform monitor out as a separate window would be a start. More finite control of the color limit effect is also needed.

My biggest issue with FCP? is the magnetic timeline. Audio clips cannot live independently on the time line... please correct me if I am wrong but I have not found a way to place a music or narration clip in the timeline without connecting it to a video clip or slug. This clearly shows me that Apple is not in tune with how a pro editor thinks and works.

The magnetics are a neato concept but surely we need to have the ability to move a series of clips to a specific point in a timeline and not have them move unless we choose to.

Apple is adding XML and SAN support and hopefully the ability to speak to third part video cards like AJA and BM. These are major issues; however, external interaction always comes as an after thought. I do indeed think the timeline is a critical issue that needs to be addressed. I would truly appreciate Apple if they created the ability for the user to use a more traditional timeline.

I would appreciate any and all feedback to my thoughts. Like you, I am trying to find the best methodologies for making a living.

Return to posts index

Robert Ansley
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:11:56 pm

Timothy,
Of course you can place music separately, or any audio such as interviews for that matter. Simply place the playhead where you want the slug on the video line and dit or Option-W. Then place the audio below that gap. A vast majority of the complaints about what FCPX can't do are wrong, it's just done differently. I'm a long time FCP user from the very beginning. I approached X considering it to be a completely different product from XYZ company. I took training starting at the beginning, and didn't try to do anything I hadn't been taught. Before long I was saying "Wow" or "That's cool!" It's really amazing and because I am an independent editor and don't need a server version it meets my needs. I took a FCP7 project that took 2 hours to complete and finished it in 35 minutes in X. It's not perfect by any stretch but it really is much more than iMovie Pro.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on May 22, 2011 at 12:03:08 pm

I too would like to respond to your so-called points one by one, Mr so called fancy pants pro gardener (if indeed, that is what you are, which I doubt actually).

First - 64 bits is horrible. It's not even a round number. PPro will be 70 bits soon, in fact it has been since before I was born. And it already has everything iMovie does anyway.

Second - I'm appalled Apple expects me to pay for software, I was assured in this version I would be PAID by Apple for my loyalty, thereby ensuring (is thereby a word? It is now) Adobe would be forced to charge less than $1000 for my upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6 and Avid would have to charge less than $9000 for a PCI card in a big breakout box.

Thirdly - I love iMovie, and I'm convinced it's the future of pet based edit solutions.

Fourthly - Of course Apple didn't show us everything in the so-called keynote. Randy (Ha!) Ubilos should have lifted the curtain and revealed the Render Elves.

Fifthly - Even my mum doesn't use PPro. The only people using PPro are those lunatics who bought RED cameras. They love it. Shows what you know.

Sixth - Steve Jobs LOVES pro users. He told me when he tucked me in last night. Using Apple products gives me a sense of entitlement and smug superiority don't ya know - not because they are well designed, well priced (HA!) and reliable. AVID's are good because they run on Windows, so you get to clench your buttocks every time a client gives you content on a USB stick, and wonder if it will include a 'present' like NetIntruder235. Or you can run it on Macs, and get support from... err.... *whistles*. Adobe software runs best on Macs. Which proves how much Steve loves PPro's as well. Err..

Seventhly - I have NEVER had a life. Any so-called Pro editor could have told you that. All I had were hollow, awful moments where I stared awkwardly at the screen whilst the minutes ticked by. I will miss them like a dockside hooker misses crabs.

And Lastly - Color is not dead. It's resting. When it's back, it will be called Monochrome, because that's cooler. It will not allow anything other than black and white, just like the good old days, when AVID's interface was designed.

I think the Reverend Mooney's god, and I'm going to give him all my money. Thank you.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on May 22, 2011 at 7:11:46 pm

What are you talking about, people! The main thing about FCPX is the fate of Bruce The Wonder Yak. Is he still there? Anybody knows?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 22, 2011 at 7:27:19 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "Bruce The Wonder Yak. Is he still there?"

I had heard he'd been replaced with Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 23, 2011 at 12:42:06 am

[Craig Seeman] "Marvin the Paranoid Android."

True. I knew it, and I tried to tell you, but I could tell you probably weren't interested. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and all they want me to do is background rendering. Talk about job satisfaction...

Marvin

PS, that door is going to deliver an FCPX tutorial, I can sense its growing smugness... God, I'm so depressed....

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on May 23, 2011 at 1:03:31 am

Just a note on the rendering thing.
We have a Playstation 3 for testing Blu-ray creation.
It is also used for playing games like Colin Mcrae DIRT 3 as we have a wheel setup and a racing chair. This gets plenty of use while rendering - especially while rendering in Color (we haven't told our clients that we can keep editing in FCP while Color is doing its thing).
With the advent of FCPX the whole Playstation gaming is going to have to wait for a Color project but maybe that will be a thing of the past when Color X (64 bit) is released.
We pre-ordered "Dirt 3" which is due next Monday; its probably not too late to cancel.
So yup; FCPX is going to ruin everything here; it will probably bring down the Playstation network, again!

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 23, 2011 at 8:18:42 pm

Dear Mr. Holmes,

On behalf of the International Foundation for Simile Appreciation, I'm honored to inform you that your post containing....

"I will miss them like a dockside hooker misses crabs."

Has achieved honorable mention in our on-going competition.

Well done sir!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on May 23, 2011 at 8:17:59 am

LOL

Return to posts index

Brian Wells
on May 24, 2011 at 6:54:56 pm

So, going back to the OP on a complete (and yes, completely whimsical) tangent:
Wouldn't "the gestapo/Apple" be better referred to as the "GestApple"?

Return to posts index

Eric Gersh
on May 27, 2011 at 4:41:24 am

Hysterical. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Linda Robertson
on May 30, 2011 at 3:39:56 pm

I got the joke. What I want to know is when is the release date?

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
Release Date: Why Final Cut Pro X has ruined us all:
on May 30, 2011 at 5:59:48 pm

[Linda Robertson] "I got the joke. What I want to know is when is the release date?"

According to new sources deep within Apple, here is the answer we all have been waiting for: Matt: 24:36

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
Re: Release Date: Why Final Cut Pro X has ruined us all:
on May 31, 2011 at 12:44:10 am

Who is Matt? Is he under an NDA?

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:13:55 am

Matt is under a strict NDA. However, with permission from the very highest level he was given permission to issue memo 24:36, which addresses the release date head on.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:19:17 am

But to learn about our plight one must read the Book of Job(s).

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:34:19 am

Amen Brother!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 12:28:04 am

Wayan: You win the crown of Apple Fan Boy! (G). Go get a beer and chill my man...it's all just about tools...I personally don't get this riled up about my table saw... nor my lawn mower...deep breath... repeat after me..."it's just software...it's just software"...

off the the races...

Alf

Return to posts index

Wayan Palmieri
on Jun 8, 2011 at 2:45:58 am

Well, what can i say, i took one bite of the forbidden fruit and got hooked, now i have the monkey on my back.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:49:48 am

Don't worry, we love ya Wayan. We've all been in the righteous mode at some point in our lives. Just remember this thread the next time you are going to attack someone like me, for simply being critical of Apple. You, I and everyone else are Apple's *customers*. We deserve more than being treated as if our investment in Apple's products are just something that we should accept with blind faith.

Best of luck.

Alf

Return to posts index

Gretchen Baenre
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:38:55 am

Bravo! Not only have you broadcast your absolute age, but more so your complete irrelevance! Baby Boomer to the last!

Return to posts index

Roman Walker
on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:01:04 pm

I don't like your first name.

Return to posts index

Chris Schulte
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:58:27 pm

Just wanted to share with you a video tutorial we made showing how we where actually able to get FCPX to run very smoothly and do exactly what we wanted it to do.

Check it out and let me know what you think...

http://exitleftdesign.com/archives/297

Return to posts index

Eric Kinney
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:07:49 pm

I'm so on board with the automatic rendering! it is literally a huge waste of time and workspace!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]