FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro & Apple Motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Giberti
Premiere Pro & Apple Motion
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:21:13 am

So I still don't feel any immediate pressure to move from FCP7 and Motion as our core tools but certainly by the first of the year it's time to commit.

I don't hate the X, I just really like the way I work now and I'm too busy to be academic for the foreseeable future.

I'm impressed with the little time I've spent looking at PrP and given the way they've communicated with the FCP community and responded so far, I'm betting that the new PrP in CS6 will be a lot like many of us hoped FCP8 would be.

I'm just wondering how closely (if at all)a future Premiere might be able to integrate with Motion5.

Like FCP, I've invested a lot of time into that paradigm and would love to continue to design with it and use the new features rather than tackle AE.

I produce with MOTU DP, FCP, Motion, Ps and Ai - I don't have the time or room in my head to master something as complex as AE.

Obviously I can render Motion projects as movies (do it a lot with FCP7) and use them if I move to PrP, but as a $50 pickup I'm wondering if Adobe sees any value in this.

Dennis?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Premiere Pro & Apple Motion
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:01:10 am

[Jim Giberti] "I'm just wondering how closely (if at all)a future Premiere might be able to integrate with Motion5."

I haven't tried with Motion 5, but I have actually imported a Motion project into Premiere Pro. You might experiment and see what happens.

[Jim Giberti] "Like FCP, I've invested a lot of time into that paradigm and would love to continue to design with it and use the new features rather than tackle AE."

I understand why you might think that, but let me encourage you to tackle it. The surface of AE isn't that difficult, but the fun is when your brain 'clicks' and gets it. Then you usually can't stop. From a business point of view, AE is a major player and it can be another nice item on your list of tools for prospective clients.

It's not that hard - it's a matter of perspective. Most of the non-audio types here would look at Digital Performer and walk away, but it's natural for you because you understand the concepts. Same idea with AE (or Motion for that matter).

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Sep 16, 2011 at 6:54:18 am

Thanks Dennis, now I'm really intrigued...I mean that you imported a Motion project. I love what AE can do and it's the tool that my team has always used for compositing and motion graphics. As creative director I interact daily with Dreamweaver, Ps, Ai and pretty much everything Adobe, but as a hands on tool, AE is my black hole. Maybe it's destiny that I add it to to the mix.

I mentioned it before, but the very first non linear piece we produced was with Premiere 2.0 in '92. Then I invested in Media 100 seats and then FCP. There would be a certain poetic justice to come full circle back to Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:50:17 pm

Honestly, once you spend a few hours with AE you'll wonder why you ever bothered with motion. It's similar to switching over to Avid, you can't half-ass your learning and workflow, you really have to all in "the avid way" -- it's similar if you want to use PrP. They've worked really hard to make the AE integration tight - you might as well benefit from it. Trying to have one foot in the FCP door and the other in Adobe is only give you leg cramps :p

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:19:35 am

Hi Jim,

You should also post this question in the Premiere Pro forum, as over there you can get advice from other FCP editors who now use PPro and have experience with both Motion and AE...

As for complexity in learning AE, I haven't done much complex stuff like motion tracking, color grading, and chroma keying, but I can say that as far as the basic interface goes, using Premiere Pro will give you a good head start on figuring out AE- since many things in PPro are descended from it. The transform controls, for example, are the same in both programs except in PPro there's no 2.5d mode.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:04:35 pm

First off, you can no longer import Motion projects into AE and have them show up. I'm not sure what changed, but it was either Motion 4, or CS 5, or a combination of the two and that particular workflow is no more.

Secondly, you're unlikely to get any connectivity between Motion and AE at all. Motion users are a VERY small percentage of FCP users. While Adobe has a great business incentive to provide FCP support (in service of luring customers), that incentive just isn't there to provide support for Motion. You can obviously export from Motion and import into Premiere, but that's likely all you'll ever get.

After Effects can be scary if you're used to Motion because like a lot of Adobe products, it's been built upon for over 10 years and there is a lot it can do. If your Motion projects are standard 3D and not in the need of replicators and particle emitters, you can probably pick up AE fairly quickly. It's always good to have a working knowledge of AE in my opinion.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:39:53 pm

Thanks Andy, I was asking specifically about Motion/Premiere integration and wondering if Adobe saw any value/possibility of Motion 5 publishing to PrP.

Ironically AE is no further behind than FCPX in the ability to import Motion projects.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Sep 17, 2011 at 12:24:59 am

[Jim Giberti] "Thanks Andy, I was asking specifically about Motion/Premiere integration and wondering if Adobe saw any value/possibility of Motion 5 publishing to PrP."

Sorry, I had AE on the brain. I initially just wanted to correct the info that had been passed to you about importing Motion projects into AE. After that, I was commenting on the likelihood of Adobe providing ANY kind of compatibility with Motion being slim. I mentioned AE, but the same thinking holds for Premiere as well. AE is Adobe's compositing solution and it has a much larger user base than Motion anyway. There's really no incentive to provide any compatibility for a competing product like that.

FCP is a special exception because they are aggressively trying to seize a beachhead in post-production and enticing editors and production companies away from FCP by offering compatibility is a good way to do it. Especially since FCPX left legacy projects in serious doubt. Adobe must've thought it was their birthday.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]