FORUMS: list search recent posts

splashtop and iPad with fcpx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kim krause
splashtop and iPad with fcpx
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:00:10 pm

i just had to see for myself if this really worked and i have to admit that i would never even attempt to do any editing on it....i'm sure i have just had a huge glimpse of the future...the very thought of being able to run final cut on your mac from an iPad or even run final cut on an iPad is so futuristic that it seems the logical think to do....open your mind and let the future pour in...some very cool stuff is on the way!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: splashtop and iPad with fcpx
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:57:36 pm

[kim krause] "....open your mind and let the future pour in..."

I'm afraid if I do that, stuff I don't want will also come pouring in. No thanks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:18:37 am

with that attitude we would all still be driving gas sucking v8 hunks of metal....just women the door a little, there's nothing to be afraid of....the challenge might do you good!

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:19:27 pm

[kim krause] ".just women the door a little"

Freudian slip? Tell us how you really feel about editing on an iPad.

[kim krause] "we would all still be driving gas sucking v8 hunks of metal..."

Ever tried to pull a boat trailer with an electric car?

One size does not fit all.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:40:23 pm

it was a spelling error...supposed to be "open" never noticed it till after i posted. and my gas sucking reference was to make people think that we can't all keep doing the same thing all the time.....i know americans love their cars and anytime a manufacturer tries to introduce something smaller and more efficient to the market they all go nuts, but the reality is we can't afford to keep using old methods to get things done. just as the car industry has to evolve so does our industry. technology drives innovation and we all have to get on board. would you still want to be cutting a feature on a flatbed? and why do people insist on driving those huge hunks of metal with just 1 person inside them just to get to work...and during rush hour the maximum speed is around 15 miles per hour...i can go faster in a golf cart.....we have to get past this old way of thinking and embrace change....no matter how much it hurts at first!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:15:03 pm

[kim krause] "just women the door a little, there's nothing to be afraid of....the challenge might do you good!"

If you're alluding to editing anything other than crappy-quality handicam vlog video using FCX on an iPad, get real, pal. Even that would be a stretch.

You post reminds me of Pollyana, duckies and bunnies.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:39:43 am

and your replies remind me of a crusty old man so set in his ways he can't even be open minded to the concept of working differently...i feel so sorry for you to be so close minded...i guess thats why you hate fcp x then....you are just unwilling to accept change! typical of the old farts who are becoming dinosaurs of the post world......

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:51:20 am

Ouch, Kim. Take it easy.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:30:51 pm

no way..that old fart insulted me...all i am trying to say is open your mind to new ways of working and he has the nerve to call me pollyana......okay i am always optimistic and look great in a dress.....but his attitude is whats wrong with all the so called established people in the industry who feel threatened by new things. i've had to evolve after 30 years of color correcting film on a telecine to using the latest tools i have available to work my craft. even tho color is no longer supported by apple i don't bitch about it...i move on to the next thing that will make me able to do my job! and if anyone invented a grading suite on an iPad i would be in there like a shot......evolve or die!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:42:59 pm

Interesting. "that old fart" and "insulted me" in the same sentence. Paradox? Irony? Or...

bigpine

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:47:31 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Paradox? Irony? Or"

Defense mechanism

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:56:16 pm

Possibly, Jeremy. But that really wasn't the phrase with which I would have replaced my ellipsis.

bigpine

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:48:47 pm

i don't get your drift...he is an old fart...he told me so himself...i'm not criticizing him, just applying my perspective......anyone who can't appreciate new ideas is an old fart.....it can be a term of endearment, something you might call your grandfather...like henry fonda and katherine hepburn in on golden pod when she called him an old poop.....they couldn't say fart in those days because it was thought to be vulgar!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45:45 pm

[kim krause] "okay i am always optimistic and look great in a dress"

Fair enough

How about both of you take it easy?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:59:57 pm

[kim krause] "his attitude is whats wrong with all the so called established people in the industry who feel threatened by new things."

Oh, baloney. Grow some thick skin, willya? Or just plain grow up, perhaps? This whole discussion reminds me of people's rants from 1995 or so, angrily demanding to know why is it so difficult to edit HD video on a desktop, and why can't we have it right now?

The technology eventually caught up to the imagination.

You want to imagine doing your next show for the Discovery Channel on an iPad? Fine.

I hope your iPad lets you see the fine details in the HD video.... oops! I kinda missed that gloved finger in the extreme upper left holding down the archival photo that just wouldn't uncurl. Darned improvised shots in the field!

I hope your iPad screen gives you the necessary contrast range and color quality to grade your next indy flick.... oops! How come this sequence looks a little yellow? Oh, that's the stuff I graded at the donut shop with those great big tinted windows. Darned tinting!

Why isn't all the footage perfect when I go to cut? Why aren't all lights the same? Isn't there a script or a plugin for that?

Imagination is fine. Imagination is healthy. The technology will eventually catch up with the imagination. In the meantime, I have a 30-second spot to cut, tag four different ways and put in the server by the end of the day. The clock is ticking. Time to suspend the blue-sky thinking and time to get busy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:59:30 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You want to imagine doing your next show for the Discovery Channel on an iPad? Fine. "

iPad has its uses. I can see building an offline sellects reel on it, if I could ever get a useful edlxml off of it. But nothing much more than that. Too small a screen, with my hands too much in the way. The novelty of working that way with any other kind of editorial would wear off very fast. In fact, I have to say--having had an iPad since the beginning--the novelty DOES wear off. I wouldn't be surprised if the surge in pads drops off in the next few years as they find there place.

Right now, the best thing the iPad does is make for a good controller. It has good virtual mixers that work well with FCP 7, Logic and Protools. Also, I've got several interesting controllers for Omnisphere. It is also good for carrying around portfolio work, and to review sellects on the go. If they could get FCP X to work on an iPad AND export edls/xmls, It would be worth $300 to carry it around on an iPad as a video notation/sellects-creation tool.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:59:05 pm

[Chris Harlan] " It would be worth $300 to carry it around on an iPad as a video notation/sellects-creation tool."

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I wonder if I wouldn't rather have my NLE-lite on something like a MBook Air.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:03:34 am

[kim krause] "the so called established people in the industry who feel threatened by new things"

Get over yourself. A little late to the party.

Find some original material

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:46:37 pm

You're right, the hipster is going to look really cool editing on his iPad at the coffee shop. The old fart will simply pick up his coffee and go home because he finished his edit hours ago.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:51:57 pm

love it...i can just see the old man walking up the road with his cane in one hand and starbucks in the other...of course there is always the chance that the hipster has already finished and uploaded and the old timer might still be digitizing or rendering then trying to figure out how to upload to youtube...so he decided to take a coffee break.....hipster was able to do coffee and edit in one place! hmmmm makes ya think!

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:01:15 pm

This conversation reminds me of the story of the Old bull and the Young bull standing at the top of the hill. Looking at the heard of cows below the Young bull says "hey Pops, lets run down and screw one of them cows." to which the Old bull replies "No, lets walk down and screw them all."

I'm sure that Kim does look great in her dress and that David is truly an old fart, so let's hear it for both of them.

This from an older fart, who thinks an Ipad's screen and keypad way too small for cutting video that is going to be looked at on 42" plasmas. Plus I think Starbucks has the most overrated coffee in the world and I'd rather work in a Dunkin' Donuts than drink their overpriced swill.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 14, 2011 at 7:57:51 pm

Herb,

You might find it interesting that the word "coffee" never even appeared in the original Starbucks business plan.

Starbucks has never been - even from the very beginning - about coffee.

IIRC the first line of the original Starbucks business plan started with something like "It will be a place that is not work, not home, but a neutral meeting place..." or something to that effect.

It was about a piece of real estate that a more mobile population could use as a meeting place to socialize with, transact business with, and generally have a place to go out of the house in an era where mobility was on the rise and "the office" was something that whole classes of business people like realtors, construction workers, and yes, creatives didn't have access to while during the business day.

This, I think, is a precise parallel to the astonishingly persistent confusion about FCP's business plan.

Many, many people keep trying to shoehorn it's capabilities into what editing USED to be. Just as a coffee shop used to be about the standard food service industry model. With that, the original concept was to move dining from home to a commercial space. In a "restaurant" the kitchen was bigger, the choices more varied, and the infa-structure necessary to prepare and serve food, designed to be superior to that people could expect at home.

It wasn't until the Starbucks people understood that the entire GAME had changed, and that what people needed wasn't a coffee shop with a big kitchen and wait staff - but rather a neutral territory in which to temporarily sit and study/work/meet that the new business paradigm started to evolve.

If Apple is correct in the long range - what people won't need so much in the future - is a "hardware suite" centric model of content creation - essentially the old "on-line" television station model. But rather mobile, agile tools that do a selected subset of the functions of the big suite - in a smaller, simpler, more agile form factor - precisely the relationship of a Starbucks to a old style coffee shop.

If you had tried to to argue that Starbucks was destined to fail simply because it was not Dennys - you would have totally missed the point of why it prevailed.

They succeeded (wildly I might add) precisely because they understood that the larger game (human mobility) was changing - not because they concentrated on making a "better" restaurant.

Worth thinking about anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:21:09 pm

Didn't know that about Starbucks, I had always thought they were simply a Seattle coffee shop that turned malignant. Lewis Black once said he knew the end of the world had come when he saw a Starbucks opening across the street from another Starbucks.

A friend of mine, a "renowned" producer to quote a recent article I just saw, often conducted his morning meetings in fancy midtown hotel lobbies, even though he had a perfectly nice office of his own; somehow it lent a special air to the event. We used to joke that the perfect NY office would be an RV that he could have customized and driven to wherever his clients office was so that all they had to do was take the elevator down and, presto, let the meeting begin. Even with the cost of a driver thrown into the mix, as an option to the cost of keeping a NY office, this was more than just an idle concept.

I'm all for mobilized, decentralized workflows. I've been working that way for most of the last 25 years. I use Ichat to remotely collaborate with editors a continent away. My favorite VO guy is someone I've worked with for almost 15 years and I've never met him in the flesh, the same with one of my favorite composers. I was pushing the edge with using personal computers for video editing back when Steve Jobs was getting ready to release the first 128K B&W Mac.

However there are certain functional limits to the projects I now work on, and the body I inhabit. I need large screens, and many of them. I prefer keyboards as an input tool. I prefer not to work with headphones. I need fast raids to handle mutli-cam editing. None of this is going to change for me as long as A) I need to deliver for broadcast B) I don't reverse time and start getting younger. Until either I start getting "smaller, simpler, more agile" or people's home TV's do, then editing on an iBook or Ipad is irrelevant to me.

And your right, it is worth thinking about.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:07:50 pm

thank you for saying so eloquently what i have been trying to communicate. i can't believe all the reaction to this silly post since i put it out there. it all started with me playing around with splash top for iPad and seeing that in the not too far future it just might be possible to replace all your old technology with something a bit more streamlined and compact...or at least use it as an interface for a real edit suite somewhere on the cloud...remote access to clips that are stored somewhere else...i can't believe how negative some of the responses have been..mostly from older established people who i believe feel threatened by the idea of too much change....i myself have had to adapt like crazy to survive...i haven't touched a piece of film for almost 5 years and i haven't worked in a telecine suite for just as long....i could see the changes coming and tried to be a step ahead of the curve and not complain when film was being passed over for digital formats. i got out there and embraced the change because i could see how nice it would be to not have to be tied to a post house and handle film all day. it took a long time to get to where i am today and i still hate that worry of where the next job will come from but i have totally accepted that change is good if you are open to the idea.....no i'm gonna head on down to the local coffee shop and do a bit of work on a series that i am grading for discovery channel.....

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:38:46 pm

actually herb, i'm not much into drag...i would make a really ugly female...i was just making a joke about me being called a polly anna...she wore a little dress i believe and i thought the idea of me wearing one was quite funny......actually i did go to a dress up party once where the theme was retro disco or something and someone suggested getting punked out in eyeliner and makeup.....i scared myself because i looked like a really hard ass version of my sister! eeeekkkkk!!

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:31:49 pm

[kim krause] "hipster was able to do coffee and edit in one place! hmmmm makes ya think!"

How would the hipster handle color grading on an iPad ?

He wouldn't use a workstation, a control surface, real time waveform/vector scopes or a broadcast monitor because those are old school tools reserved for the dinosaurs.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:13:28 am

[Gary Hazen] "How would the hipster handle color grading on an iPad ?"

Bleach Bypass filter on everything. All the time. No exceptions.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:00:50 am

i wasn't talking initially about grading on the iPad...just using it as a remote control for the software...thats what splash top does. but one thing led to another on this discussion and i realized that in the not too distant future i could be sitting at home in front of my 80" ultra hd display using an iPad to grade clips that are stored on the cloud..the iPad would be a remote link to the master software that resides on a server so you would just have to log on. the video for the job would also not have to be at the office but stored somewhere else making the idea of a truly desktop and office free environment a reality. somehow it turned into a insult hurling match because i think certain "older" people are threatened by this new way to work. i was just following a train of thought and must have opened some wounds because i couldn't believe the reaction i got from this thread.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:28:47 am

I was just making a cheep joke. I get the iPad thing. I use it as a controller for the likes of FCS, Logic, and Omnisphere. I don't quite share your total cloud vision--a bit Utopian from what I see day to day--but that doesn't mean I can't envision editing proxy files on the go. I'd kinda like that. As to the food fight you guys are all having, I don't really want to be part of it. Mom dressed me in clean clothes today and made me promise to stay that way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:03:18 pm

[kim krause] "....you are just unwilling to accept change! typical of the old farts who are becoming dinosaurs of the post world......"

My edit session was put on a 15-minute hiatus, giving me a little time to do some arithmetic.

I believe I read that you've been in the business for some 30 years. Assuming you got your dream job right out of university, that would result in an age of... what, 51 years? And you're calling ME an old fart?

There's a certain perspective that comes from having done this for a while. You see how people like to push the edge of the envelope when a new technology is made available. It's natural.

However, some technologies don't last too long; anyone remember running After Effects 3.1 on Mac OS 8.x using extremely-pricey Blue Ice boards to accelerate rendering? Anyone remember how long that so-called breakthrough lasted before it was eclipsed? Perhaps 18 months? When all is said and done, was that capital investment worth saving 2 hours on an overnight render, which was typical in Days Of Yore?

After a while, people can develop a wait-and-see attitude. They watch what actually shakes out. They let other people run up blind alleys. They let someone else bleed on the bleeding edge. If that's where you like to be, fine.

But as the Blue Ice board example illustrates, not every piece of new technology is all that great. You can wear yourself out pursuing every little new thing that comes along. And right now, FCX on an iPad is a little new thing whose future success is etched more in Jell-o than in stone.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:19:43 am

with that attitude we would all still be driving gas sucking v8 hunks of metal....just open the door a little, there's nothing to be afraid of....the challenge might do you good!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:16:03 pm

LogMeIn is the same thing, but no audio.

Works on Macs, too. It's sweet.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:40:17 pm

I'm thinking a bit of respect for some of the folks that created an industry that allows you to participate might be in order. If you think Apple, Sony or any other gear manufacturer created this business, you're wrong. It was a BUNCH of folks working at MANY levels for a VERY long time that created the opportunity for you to "try something new". Might be wise to listen a bit more than talking when someone who's done this for a very long time speaks.

Food for thought.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:55:14 pm

respect my ass...respect is something you earn...i guess my 35 years in the industry doesn't count for shit then.....sorry if i seem so rude but i can't stand the bleeding politically correct twits who are so afraid to really say whats on their minds.......what i say is my opinion and i am glad to see that some people agree with me...not everyone will and thats fine...i am merely trying to get people to not stagnate and be open to new ideas and ways of working.....the starbucks post is exactly what i have been talking about...in a few years we won't need any big old computers in some overpriced post house...the writing is on the wall...in the same way the audio industry had to change, we will have to adapt. some one right now is recording a new hit album on an iPad using just garage band and the next big film might just be shot on an iPhone and finished on an iPad...it's entirely possible and if you can't see the potential then you will be in for a very rude awakening.....most television stations are struggling because of the internet. ad agencies will be the next to feel the pinch because demand for their services are dropping. and its the ad agencies that have paid the big bucks at the post houses in the past. a lot of film makers and directors who were considered "commercial guys" are now shooting doccies and features.....it's all about how we can adapt to the change...

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:01:34 pm

"i've had to evolve after 30 years..."

That was from a previous post. now I see you are up to 35 years of experience. That's a lot of growth in the course of one day.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:18:31 pm

i started in the tape room when i was 19...i am now 55 so i guess technically that would be 35 years, 7 months 3 days and 6 hours ago! who gives a crap about the actual dates...i'm not so anal to keep track of all that but if you must know, i first started off in the tape room of a production house in toronto in 1976. within 1 year i was working in the telecine department and from then on i have just grown with whatever technology was introduced. we had one of the first ccd scanners and i had one of the early davincis as well. i can still remember that trip to florida meeting up with the guys there. i could see then where the industry was heading. i was one of the very first colorists in south africa to use apple color in my own place and have worked in over 4 countries in my career and am still very much active doing my own thing for some really great clients...guess what i'm really trying to say is i think i have earned the right to say whatever i feel like and could give a flying crap about what people think. all i really want people to realize is that the industry is once again changing and we all have to evolve and stop bitching about how things used to be and how we refuse to use such and such piece of software because it isn't the same as it was...grow up or shut up!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:08:55 pm

[kim krause] "...i guess my 35 years in the industry doesn't count for shit then.....sorry if i seem so rude but i can't stand the bleeding politically correct twits who are so afraid to really say whats on their minds......."

Okay, here's what's on my mind: apparently you haven't learned in somewhere between 30-35 stinkin' years in the business that not every new technology to come down the pike will be the best technology. In fact, it's a rare occurrence.

So what rock were you hiding under when FCX came out, honey? What makes you think that you got it right this time? What, do you have a crystal ball or something? Psychic powers? Clairvoyance?

Or is it your decades-long MO to have a knee-jerk reaction by saying that anyone who doesn't immediately embrace the newest thing is automatically a Luddite?

Boy, talk about being set in your ways............

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:23:02 pm

thanks for calling me honey......it's not everyday that i get such sweet terms of endearment thrown at me. i'll just call you sweetie back...i hope you don't mind some 55 year old guy calling you sweetie, as for me i prefer a slightly younger man....and why are talking about this anyway.....i can't believe all the rage on this post about some silly comment i made about adapting to new ways of working and being open minded to change......what a bunch of grumpy old farts.....

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:33:25 pm

thanks for calling me honey......it's not everyday that i get such sweet terms of endearment thrown at me. i'll just call you sweetie back...i hope you don't mind some 55 year old guy calling you sweetie, as for me i prefer a slightly younger man....and why are talking about this anyway.....i can't believe all the rage on this post about some silly comment i made about adapting to new ways of working and being open minded to change......what a bunch of grumpy old farts.....
oh and actually i do have psychic powers but i only use them for the good of mankind...in fact around 10 years a go i was telling a client about a new way of working where you could just hook up your laptop to a firewire enabled camera and start editing video...he told me i was full of crap and went out and spent a ton of money on an avid system with a beta sp machine...1 year later and he told me he wished he had listened to me....another client of mine was starting up his own business a few years back and asked me if i he should go avid or FCP. i told him that i thought avid was a bad idea and he went out and bought a mac with FCP. 2 years later he bought 3 more systems and now 5 years later he is one of the busiest tv producers in the country employing around 50 people..during my last few years as a telecine colorist i can remember having a conversation that the film part of the industry might be in for a shake up and that it would be foolish to invest in more telecine equipment.the manager at the time thought i was crazy and went ahead and order a brand new spirit with all the bells and whistles and a davinci renaissance to go with it...a few years down the lone and they are all but bankrupt....so yeah, you might call me slightly psychic.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:41:39 am

Wow.

Sorry, thought I was talking to a petulant youngster. Looks like you've turned out to be one of us "grumpy old farts".

Imagine that...

Pot, meet kettle.

Apparently your point is a bit lost in the subterfuge. You're saying you're actually USING this crapware for anything beyond your home videos? (or even that?)

Oh yeah... it's GOING to be great if only we had vision. And the API's will be out before the summer is over and they'll be a rush of third party vendors to restore functionality, and all the bugs will be fixed quickly, and the check really IS in the mail, right?

Since you're lighting into someone who started off by simply disagreeing with you, why don't you take a minute and make a point, rather than continuing the "old fart grumpiness"?

Just saying.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:18:03 am

i had no idea so many people feel so threatened by my ramblings....judging by the reactions this thread has received there must be a lot of insecure people out there who are either afraid of change or are so close minded they can't imagine a time in the future where we would all be working differently. my original post was about how amazing it is using splash top to remotely control their main machine and its software. i logically thought that this is going to open up the possibility of new ways of working, and i still believe that in the not too distant future i will be sitting in my lounge with my iPod 6 controlling my color application (davinci 10.5 perhaps?) from a server (cloud!) which holds all the clips being streamed to my ultra hd calibrated 80 inch panel. i really can see this coming and so i concluded that when this happens we will no longer need big tower machines and fancy edit suites and a paradigm shift will once again occur in our industry. instead i got dragged across the floor by people telling me to get my head out the clouds (funny there is that cloud thingy again) and get back to reality. so i am sorry i ever tried to make people look at alternative ways of working and to all those "old farts" out there who don't like change (the same ones that aren't even willing to give fcpx a chance and instead cross grade to avid because it feels closer to the old way of working) i just have to say good luck...the new young guns are on your coat tails and are gonna leave you in the dust so you better be ready!

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:03:52 am

Dear Kim,

I've read the thread roughly.

I do understand and agree that things are changing constantly and all of us have to be open minded.

What I didn't understand was the way you typed in your replies.
All lower case, no breaks, wrong ellipses. Looks like an old fashioned Morse Code which is hard to read by normal humans.

As an editor you understand that within a story there are scenes, cuts, effects etc. With communication it's the same.
If you write a story that way you communicate, the story won't be a success.

On the other hand you can even go a step further with your way of writing and disregard spaces between words like it was done in ancient Hebrew. This will help to make people in a future world to make studies about what was meant with this text.

No offense, just a thought.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:15:15 pm

thanks for the pointers but i just type as i'm thinking and often don't take a moment to reread what I've typed....it's not an english essay for shit sakes.....besides all my friends write in sms shorthand now and i can barely read their messages on the phone so at least i use real words `( most of the time`).....ramblings of a mad man i guess....but i do like stirring the pot to the point of boiling...sometimes just to get people thinking even if its thinking about what an ass i can be..who cares as long as their minds are functioning!

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:38:31 pm

Funny thing about youngsters and coattails...

Let's talk about one specific example of how an "old fart" embraces the "new way of thinking". I've been watching DSLR video for a couple of years now. Fantastic stuff it is, but what a pain to shoot with that form factor. Have said for a number of years that it's simply an impractical media for any real work. By that, I mean work at the volume and speed that is necessary to sustain an income. A couple of weeks ago, we finally acquired a Sony F3. Correct form factor for the job and the same technology that makes DSLR video an advantage (large single sensor). Did I dismiss the practicality of this "new technology" (DSLR video)? Yes, for our business. Did I completely ignore it? No, we migrated to it once the "youngsters" showed enough interest that the equipment vendors developed a feasible product.

Much the same with this whole FCPX. I have downloaded it, used it briefly and determined that it is not practical for our workflow. Does it have promise? Sure. But we're not going to spend our valuable time "embracing" this new product, or for that matter "imagining" what it might be. If you have time for that, great, go for it. But understand that a great many folks here are making a living at this. When you you hear someone say, "I don't have time to imagine how great it could be", you need to understand that comment is NOT directed to you.

Re-reading all your post, it would seem that you perceive every comment as directed at you. Trust me, it's not. It's about whether/when/if this software will ever become a viable product. At this point, I see just as much "promise" in several other NLE packages, ALL with the ability to sustain a business. FCPX? Not so much.

So....

Aside from what "might be", what is your opinion of what "is" currently? More to the point, why should we spend any more than a quick day of play with this software now? Today, at this point? What do I gain by having an in depth knowledge of what the novice/prosumer/casual user has on their computer?

Is THIS your point;

"Current working Professionals should devote a significant portion of their focus to an in depth study of the implications and usage of FCPX in order to understand where the youngsters are heading with this."

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:36:34 pm

first of all i never said to anyone "abandon you old ways" all i'm implying is that very soon there will be viable new ways to work and we all have to open to the idea that it will involve a change in mindset. FCPX is one the things that is challenging us to think about what we do. using an iPad as a tool is another. remember when the first version of final cut was in its infancy. no one wanted to abandon avid right away but over time it proved itself to be a viable option. i'm absolutely certain that within the next 2 generations of iPad we will be doing what we used to do on our macbook pros just 2 years ago. if you look at how tech evolves, anyone can see that the new way of working won't be from an edit suite with a huge tower and a bunch of hard drives cloud storage is the new hard disk and iPads will be the new interface, replacing mouse and keyboard and maybe evn one of your main monitors. remember that my original rant here was how cool it is being able to control an external machine from an iPad using splash top...how it devolved into all this bitchiness blows me away. i must have hit a raw nerve with some very insecure individuals who feel their livelihood is under attack. well guess what? it probably will be very soon so just be open minded enough to accept the change and embrace the new technology thats coming. forget about your old way of working and get ready to discard that old edit suite.....there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current version of final cut studio but too many people feel that apple is letting them down and are looking for something that is the same as what they already have.....this makes no sense to me...why leave something that works for something exactly the same. FCPX may not be ready for the big boys yet but i really believe its time to start thinking of new ways to work and not just looking for a replacement for something that doesn't really do anything different than what is already available. the technology that allows iMovie on an iPad to work didn't even exist a few years ago and now it does what a state of the art laptop did just 6 years ago......why am i the only one who can see this....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:50:02 pm

[kim krause] "why am i the only one who can see this...."

I don't think you are, but this is the debate forum, after all.

I am all for working differently and changing. I went out on a limb and wrote an article about what I actually like about FCPX: http://library.creativecow.net/garchow_jeremy/FCPX-Ask/1

I also provided a goofy example of a program that is editing in the cloud, today. I don't think you are that far off in your thinking about the cloud, Kim. Bandwidth is the only limitation and that will be a giant hurdle to leap, but it's already happening.

What I have a problem with is everyone (not just you) taking it personal. It's tiring and unnecessary. It has nothing to do with political correctness or censure of speech. You can say what you want, I believe in that. Personally, I don't think that making fun of the sick and diseased (from the other thread) is a very intelligent discourse, but maybe that is just me. In my thinking, age has nothing to do with this, comfort level maybe, but not age.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:41:05 pm

It's a shame that what could have been a short, albeit pithy, dialogue has turned into such a large waste of back and forth. Everyone has a point here, and it all boils down to whether you're in the thick of the broadcast industry, or in the trenches in the film industry. Different tools will be adopted, cast aside, improved, assets sold off, and so on. It's all about money and numbers, not art or coolness (that's for the marketing department), from the standpoint of the manufacturers and distributors.

Back in the late 80's I was writer/AP, then producer and co-host, of a television show called PCTV Live! (a live weekly show on Thursdays). We got the best and brightest of the software/hardware industry people and products, and I had my hands on tons of the cutting edge products. If I had a list of the ones which would have moved things forward, it would not have been anywhere near the list of those which succeeded. At the time, the Mac platform had about 13 or 14 percent of the PC market - we followed the numbers weekly, and that was the high-point of Mac dominance. There was the Amiga, the NeXt, OS2, CorelDraw, the Xerox paperless workflow, and dozens, if not hundreds of other cool technologies, which dominated, then poof! What I'm getting at is that the iPad, while a cool tool (maybe) on first blush, is only as good as it's apps. Add to that the fact that every new model orphans the last, and you get a sense that the iPad is like the stapler - sell it for relatively cheap, and reap the profits on the consumables (the apps). Do they get the job done? Who cares? How many apps did we sell?

I'm not throwing stones at it - I'm just being a realist. My day to day graphics work is on the Adobe CS Master Collection, and 3DS Max. I have an Android tablet, a Blackberry, and I'm constantly staying up on the OS and encoding issues, because my clients demand their productions play back on their iPad, iTouch, Blackberry, and whatever disposable comes along next week. Today's cutting edge is next month's museum piece, in case you haven't noticed it. I have to stay up on what's new and cool - I don't have to use it as a production tool. My laptop (ThinkPad W510 with the CS5 Master Collection) is as small as I need to get, thank you (at this point in time). To me, anything below (form factor) a laptop is part of the distribution chain.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:45:51 pm

I could see perhaps some VPN scenario to edit off of a workstation (by proxy) as a sort of "do-able" kind of iPad solution, but frankly it's not these devices that are the holdup. It's the level of connectivity that will make it feasible and as of now, I don't see any "fiber to your door" happening, nor do I anytime soon. Despite device capability, this is essential.

At the end of it, I would say this...

"just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Can I see the potential? Sure. But it's going to be a long while before it's practical and I'd have to wonder exactly what advantage you would gain from all the extra set-up, expense and hardware?

As to what you can and can't do with the iPad...

My wife has one. While it's cool, and has some function, I don't see a bunch of people who WORK abandoning their laptops for this device. It's not that you couldn't do the work on a "pad" device, it's just that it's faster, more practical and easier to do on the form factor of a laptop. What I'm talking about is the majority of actual work that is done. Word documents, spreadsheets, ect. Sure, it's great to have it as a reader, but creating these documents on a "pad" gadget is harder. Yes, you can add a bluetooth keyboard, but by the time you do that, you're just as better off having at least a netbook.

The "pad" devices have their place, but they are far from "revolutionary". Take it from someone who has used Palm's for YEARS. Now onto iPhones, which perhaps are the best device, but are great.

Do you really do THAT much work that would require such a high degree of mobility? I can see the advantage in some limited circumstances, but as SOP I see the form factor as workflow inhibited. Seems most other working professionals that I've read on this forum seem to agree. The majority seem to express this in an impersonal manner. As has been pointed out in a previous post... this is a debate forum.

That being said, what "youngster" practices are you advocating? A blind rush to new technology for the simple sake of change? I think most would prefer to see those with the time/money explore the bleeding edge before adaptation. That's nothing new. Just because folks don't have an interest in it at the moment doesn't mean they never will. People change, even "old farts".

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:50:24 pm

"Now onto iPhones, which perhaps are the best device, but are great. "

Sorry... should read, "Now onto iPhones, which perhaps AREN'T the best device, but are great. "

Saving my rubles for proof-reader for my forum post.

:-)

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:03:07 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "I think most would prefer to see those with the time/money explore the bleeding edge before adaptation. That's nothing new. Just because folks don't have an interest in it at the moment doesn't mean they never will. People change, even "old farts"."

Correct. I'll bide my time, wait until a comparatively bulletproof workflow is established, and THEN I'll get the new stuff and learn it. Nothing is completely bulletproof, so that's a judgement call. But even so, I will have avoided most of the pain and needless expense. I can get busy at someone else's expense.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Sep 15, 2011 at 5:08:57 pm

After spending too much non-productive time reading the thread above, for me it simply comes down to this; Old Fart or Yousgster-it doesn't matter. What matters is making a living off of our business. I would say that I fall into the old fart category, chronologically but not technically. I've been making a living off of this industry for going on 40 years now and can still keep up with the "Kids" easily. What matters most to me is this: can the tools I have available right now enable me to make a decent living? That's it. Simple. Can I still make a living off of Studio 3 and FCP 7 along with many other applications? Absolutely. Can I make a living using FCPX? Definitely not. It doesn't (yet) have the functionality I require for the projects I do. Will it in the future? Possibly. Hopefully. It's just that Apple has left a bad taste in my mouth over how they are handling the whole FCPX thing. But that's a discussion for a different day. In the meantime I'll be sticking with one of the reliable old "A's" - Apple, Avid and Adobe until things shake out a bit. This will help strengthen all three in the long run, I feel. I have no problem learning and trying new methods to achieve what I need. It's just that I also have to be able to pay the bills at the same time. I always keep a keen eye on the industry and adapt my workflow as the technology evolves, but the fact of the matter is, I won't be a trend setter anytime soon. But I also don't need to worry about being called a dinosaur either. Like most of us in the business we keep our eyes open to what works and what doesn't and modify out workflow on a regular basis to keep up with trends. I tend to be cautious in jumping on anything new and shiny until I can see just how it fits into what I require for my production work. If it works and I need it, I will adapt. If not, I will pass it by. It's not so much a matter of blaze ahead or be left behind. It's a matter of what works for you in a given situation. Right now, FCPX doesn't work for me. Simple. Oh, and I do have an iPad that I use as a remote control surface for some hardware boxes I use. It's great for that and I use it all the time. But editing on an iPad? Nope, not yet. That's not saying "never" however, just not today, thank you.
Tom

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 15, 2011 at 9:50:36 pm

Has the Cow system taken to deleting paragraph breaks? This thread is hard work.

B

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:16:44 pm

FWIW

I just don't really see the appeal in being able to work on an ipad in a coffee shop, or on a train, or anywhere in the "real world". Coffee shops are loud, the ipad screen is glary, my fat fingers will obscure far too much of my work space, I can't imagine a comfortable position in which to work on an iPad for more than 20 mins at a time, and many other complaints besides.

As someone said earlier "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Also, most frighteningly, once clients get wind of the fact that you can work wherever you are, they will be demanding constant changes at all times of day and night regardless of whether you are in bed, on a train, or cooking dinner.

Don't try to tell me this won't happen because as much as you might tell them to keep changes to within certain timeframes, if they know you can do the job whenever and wherever, you'll start to find that they aren't watching the screeners you gave them on time, and they won't be compiling all their comments into one email. Instead they'll be watching your screeners whenever they damn please and giving you comments in "oh just one more thing" bits and pieces like bloody Columbo.

I'm a relative newbie in this game (5years broadcast experience) and I'm finding that on more and more jobs I'm being asked to work on an iMac, with headphones in an office with other editors, or even a busy production office and it's a nightmare. Ok, you will argue that these are the wrong jobs to be taking but how much worse would it be to be handed an ipad and told to piss off and find your own workspace?

Just sayin..

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:21:23 pm

Also the original poster sounds like a complete troll.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:32:05 pm

Sorry, "just one more thing"

The more I think about it, it feels like the people who really, actually benefit most from this sort of tech advancement (miniaturisation, affordability, portability etc..) are the people who hold the purse strings on productions and not the people actually working on them.

I obviously understand the advantage of being able to work in the field in a pinch but what starts out as a neat little get out or occasional life-saver for us freelancers, will very quickly become the standard as prod companies see how they can save money, office space, and have their freelancers on a total leash if they just pass out a few ipads and logins for their cloud storage.

Anyone who edits on a day-to-day basis and is excited about this prospect is mental IMO.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:41:10 pm

Leaving aside the idiocy of trying to edit on an Ipad, I don't see why you fear editing away from the office so much. Over the years I've edited at home for most of the time, it's terrific. You can't beat the commute.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:23:21 pm

[Christopher Travis] "Also, most frighteningly, once clients get wind of the fact that you can work wherever you are, they will be demanding constant changes at all times of day and night regardless of whether you are in bed, on a train, or cooking dinner. "

I don't know about you, but agencies demand what they demand, they could give a crap about my sleep schedule. I can either stay at the office late, which I do frequently, or go home, and work remotely without having to transfer/shlep all my media. At least, I will have the opportunity to cook dinner and not be at the office. I can't tell you how much LogMeIn has allowed me to go home when I would have had to stay at the office otherwise. I am happier for it.

[Christopher Travis] "Ok, you will argue that these are the wrong jobs to be taking but how much worse would it be to be handed an ipad and told to piss off and find your own workspace?"

At least you would have the option.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:43:42 pm

So you're already having a nightmare with clients? Don't you think it'll be worse when they know you can edit by voice control on your iPad 6 while driving your kids to school?

Managing client expectations and herding them to give comments in a timely fashion is like pushing water uphill I know, but I'd rather try for the sake of my personal life, than roll over and yield to being a 24hr editor-on-a-rope for the rest of my working life.

Maybe I'm overstating this point but I do believe that it's worth fighting to retain ones personal life in the face of constantly increasing client demands.

I think this applies to both freelance editors-for-hire who will be asked to work in increasingly uncomfortable and unconducive conditions AND one-man-band video producers who will find clients taking more liberties with their spare time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:25:51 pm

[Christopher Travis] "So you're already having a nightmare with clients? Don't you think it'll be worse when they know you can edit by voice control on your iPad 6 while driving your kids to school?"

I don't think you understand. In today's on demand environment, everything is a push button away, even if it isn't. Some clients do not care about my well being, so I need to look out for my well being. If making things easier and more accessible is the way to do this, then I am more for it.

As I have mentioned three times now, I am already doing a version of this through LogMeIn, on my iPad. Guess what? Sometimes it's even on my iPhone.

Now, it's not full blown editing, but I have edited graphics, reexported, triggered a compression and upload. I also check on renders/exports/processes from anywhere. No more watching paint dry at the office. I am telling you, if you will listen, I am happier for it. If I could edit, I would. Certainly it would not be practical all the time, but sometimes I would and save myself the trip to the office. I don't think that makes me, as you say, mad.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:13:22 pm

Jeremy Garchow - "Certainly it would not be practical all the time, but sometimes I would and save myself the trip to the office."

I don't think anyone is arguing that this doesn't have promise, I think the point is raising to level of expectation of your client to believe that these technologies are reliable and practical enough to depend on is not a good idea. Sure, we can all remote in to our office machine from time to time and yes it is convenient. To take it from there to depending on that type of connection for deadline work, in a fluid environment, is something I don't think even you would want to do.

As professionals, we should migrate to proven, reliable gear and processes. Cloud based Starbucks edits are only for discrete convenience and curious exploration. Not ready for the client world just yet.

That and dealing with the abusive nature of some of our clients. Sadly, it's not going to make much difference where you are, or what gear you use, for those who are inclined to such.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2011 at 9:55:39 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "To take it from there to depending on that type of connection for deadline work, in a fluid environment, is something I don't think even you would want to do. "

It really depends. Most of the time, our clients do not care where it comes from, just as long as it shows up. They could care less about the OS, NLE, version, etc, and we work with decent size agencies, some you have probably heard of. They want it done, and done now. It is rare that a client comes in to the office anymore to edit all day.

If remote editing works, why wouldn't I use it? If it is more convenient for me, why not? It still requires a decent and fast infrastructure in the office with fibre SAN and the like, but if I need to make a few adjustments to something and resend a screener, why wouldn't I do it from where ever I happen to be if not at the office?

I (of course) am not talking about finishing or fine tuning, I am simply talking about last minute changes and requests. You know, the stuff that keeps you at the office for hours unnecessarily.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:51:02 pm

We are not so far apart in our worlds. Of course we all want to do whatever it takes to keep our clients happy, but...

I'd rather keep them happy in the long run than confuse them about what it is we do.

When you say this, "I (of course) am not talking about finishing or fine tuning, I am simply talking about last minute changes and requests." SOME clients can't make the distinction you are talking about. It's a subtle difference. Personally, I prefer to leave their office, head down to the coffee shop, make the changes, check my email and maybe make a few calls, then come back later and say, "Well, it took some doing, but we were able to stretch it out and get that change made. Whew! That was a tough one". Much as Houdini would routinely take a break after an escape, and before re-appearing, to "build drama" while the audience imagined him struggling to free himself.

I think the point the original poster made was that this trend of anywhere, anytime editing is going to be a challenge to manage with our clients relationships.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, nor do I dismiss the "portability" of our work, I just think it needs to be used judiciously and with an understanding that sometimes it suits us best NOT to do this type of work "in the cloud". I think we're all just trying to make sense of when those times are. Frankly, we've got some time to figure it out. As I think everyone agrees... we're not there yet.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:58:27 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Personally, I prefer to leave their office, head down to the coffee shop, make the changes, check my email and maybe make a few calls, then come back later and say, "Well, it took some doing, but we were able to stretch it out and get that change made. Whew! That was a tough one"."

I undersand about building "contingencies" and perception, but when this is unnecessary, it is unnecessary and my convenience is paramount. Wy would I make my job harder to pull the wool over my clients eyes?

[Marvin Holdman] "I just think it needs to be used judiciously and with an understanding that sometimes it suits us best NOT to do this type of work "in the cloud". I think we're all just trying to make sense of when those times are. Frankly, we've got some time to figure it out. As I think everyone agrees... we're not there yet."

But what if the "cloud" is a local SAN or something? I mean, if we can tap into our SAN remotely with all proxies and full res on the SAN controlling a real live computer with a remote interface, then it starts to become very real as the infrastructure isn't reliant on a third party server, you are simply controlling the software on a fast, local machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]