FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple on pace to sell record 4.5M Macs this quarter

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Apple on pace to sell record 4.5M Macs this quarter
on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:56:58 pm

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/12/apple_on_pace_to_sell_record_...

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said on Monday the latest data from NPD suggests Apple will sell between 4.4 million and 4.6 million Macs in the September quarter.

Mac sales were also strengthened by a tailwind from newly refreshed MacBook Air and Mac mini models.

Further, the analyst has estimated that the MacBook Air will represent between 10 percent and 20 percent of total Mac units in the September quarter.

A month ago, the NPD sales figures first revealed that Mac sales were up 26 percent year over year in the month of July.

As for the iPod lineup, Munster said the latest NPD data shows Apple is on track to sell between 7.2 million and 7.7 million units in the September quarter.

No mention of iPhone or iPad sales.

It seems that despite what I suspect is a decline in computer sales, Apple is setting company records selling Macs. It would seem small and portable leads the way though. No indication of iMac and certainly not MacPro sales.

One can only speculate if dropping FCP7/introduction of FCPX is negatively impacting iMac and MacPro sales.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Apple on pace to sell record 4.5M Macs this quarter
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:44:21 pm

I would say that not knowing what the future holds with Apple in regards to their traditional computing platform is what's holding back Mac Pro sales more than anything.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:57:01 pm

I'm hearing a few different rumors about the MacPros. One is a possible update in November with new CPUs from Intel. Another would be next spring. There had been a rumor that there may be a new design within a year or two similar to what I've been thinking. In any case I would not get a MacPro until after the next update.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:48:09 am

Strange old stuff.

PCs update every day. Macs update...maybe autumn, maybe spring...and it's all the same stuff inside.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:19:03 pm

Apple aims for tighter integration. They certainly do periodic speed bumps but they also do major feature updates whether case design or connectivity. Thunderbolt is major and involves the motherboards on all systems. PCs generally are NOT rolling that out. Only Sony on Vaio laptop and with a different connector, so far. Apple rolled out Thunderbolt integration faster than any other computer maker. They rolled it out faster than any computer has done with USB3 if you want to make that comparison as well.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:43:11 pm

The Mac Pro's rev cycle mirrors that of Intel's Xeon chip rev cycles. It's really just that simple. Sandy Bridge Xeons (the only new Xeon CPU rev since the Westmere Xeons presently in the Mac Pro came out) are only due to ship in November.

Unless Apple abandons the Xeon line for whatever becomes of the Mac Pro, they are joined at the hip to Intel's release schedule for Xeon revs.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:52:09 am

Wondering what a "Xeon" actually is...just marketing or a different range?

One section in Wikipedia says "The same processors are marketed for mid-range to high-end desktops systems as Core i5 and Core i7".

Hmmm.....

B

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56:45 am

[Bernard Newnham] "Wondering what a "Xeon" actually is...just marketing or a different range?"

Multi-socket support and ECC RAM support are key differences. They also tend to offer more cores than their contemporary desktop counterparts. Xeons are not just a branding stunt.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 14, 2011 at 5:18:10 pm

You also have to purchase a Xeon if you want to run a dual-CPU system for double the number of cores. If you purchase a multi-CPU motherboard and then a regular i7, it won't work.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:05:17 pm

So the product updates are based on a high end processor which itself has infrequent updates.

And all the MacPros currently available in the UK Mac store have ATI HD5770 graphics cards, now 2 years old. In the PC world they say - if you're going to upgrade one thing, make it your graphics card.

Another Apple marketing system I don't understand.

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]