FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finished my first FCP X project and want to give kudos to the image stabilization.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn Bockoven
Finished my first FCP X project and want to give kudos to the image stabilization.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:37:20 am

We had some really crappy handheld b-roll due to a run-and-gun style project. The stabilization rescued the project, and it was freaking fast! Took it from embarrassing to beautiful. X was not perfect, but it was fast. This was a project that I could not have rescued or turned around in the allotted time using FCP 7.

Edited on a new iMac 3.4GHz I7.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Finished my first FCP X project and want to give kudos to the image stabilization.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:59:56 am

What camera were you using as well as format shot in and project settings?
That info could be meaningful to some.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Finished my first FCP X project and want to give kudos to the image stabilization.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:38:21 am

Great for cameramen with Parkinson.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:37:01 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Great for cameramen with Parkinson."

Pretty bad taste, here.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:52:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Rafael Amador] "Great for cameramen with Parkinson."
Pretty bad taste, here."

Well, FCPX stabilization will help to produce more 'in camera" crap. Next generation of cameramen will be worst.
Apple is pushing people to the ignorance and laziness.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:19:45 am

[Rafael Amador] "Apple is pushing people to the ignorance and laziness."

The Parkinson's joke is not funny, Rafael.

As far as a stabilization plug in, it is meant to be useful. Are color grading tools causing laziness because the lighting and white balance weren't perfect?

I work with a decent stable of talented DPs, not one of them is lazy, or perfect.

I am sorry you are mad at Apple, but making light of Parkinsons because of a plugin is assinine.

Sorry bud. It goes for all of you that hit the like button as well. Ridiculous.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:27:10 am

"The Parkinson's joke is not funny, Rafael. "

Oh come on, Jeremy! It WAS funny!

My father died from Parkinson's and I STILL thought it was funny. Did you happen to see
"Curb your Enthusiasm" last night with Michael J Fox? They did a whole show about how
MJ Fox was "milking" his Parkinsons to his own benefit. It had more painful Parkinson's humor
than you can imagine. Rafael's comment was TAME by comparison.

Lighten up!

Mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:12:43 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "Oh come on, Jeremy! It WAS funny!"

Call me old fashioned, but picking on the sick and/or weak does not tickle my funny bone.

I didn't really find it funny, and besides I don't see how it makes people lazy. Does AE's rotobrush tool makes us lazy? No, it makes my job a bit easier, and it's a slick tool when it works. I understand Apple is vilified at this moment and perhaps rightfully so, but Smoothcam has been in the suite for a while now. It is just a tool.

I am all for humor, and perhaps the title of this forum should be renamed to "lighten up".

I did not watch curb, as I can't stand that guy. Surprised?

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:49:54 pm

While the joke didn't offend me, it wasn't funny at all to me. What's funny about a camera operator with Parkinson's? Enlighten me.

Meanwhile a colleague who produced some of the most interesting projects I've worked on kept his sense of humor while doctors drilled holes in his head to help him control his Parkinson's:

http://mediastorm.com/publication/it-aint-television-its-brain-surgery

Ray kept his wicked sense of humor to the end. RIP friend.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:47:11 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "My father died from Parkinson's and I STILL thought it was funny. Did you happen to see
"Curb your Enthusiasm" last night with Michael J Fox? They did a whole show about how
MJ Fox was "milking" his Parkinsons to his own benefit. It had more painful Parkinson's humor
than you can imagine. Rafael's comment was TAME by comparison."

Hi Mark,
No intention to be funny, just graphic (it might be my professional tic).
No malice or disrespect for people suffering. It can happen to me also.
rafael

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:10:42 am

i think you are funny...not politically correct but neither am i and i know what you mean. it's so easy to offend people here because they are all so serious! maybe they could all lobby to have porky pigs stuttering stopped because it makes fun of people with speech impede-ped- pedi problems....hahaha

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:54:42 pm

The shaky b-roll was due to a few factors:
Was VERY dusty. Didn't wan't to use the Sony-F350's, so we used our cheaper and smaller JVC GY-HM100U.
Homeland Security issues.
We were not allowed to move closer.
We were not allowed tripods.
The producer interfered with many of the shots due to security concerns.
Shot in nine locations in under 4.5 hours.

Camera:
HQ Mode, 1920 x 1080 (35 Mbps)
1080/30p
Full auto due to time limitations

Edit:
Video was not optimized
Video/audio analyzed on import
27 shots were stabilized
Finished video was 7:00

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
on Sep 12, 2011 at 1:44:13 pm

I'm curious,

If the footage was shaky what was your cameras shutter speed at to make the stabilisation so effective.

Regards

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:45:53 pm

[shawn Bockoven] "The shaky b-roll was due to a few factors:
Was VERY dusty. Didn't wan't to use the Sony-F350's, so we used our cheaper and smaller JVC GY-HM100U."

LOL!!
Sorry.
The JVC GY-HM100U is a 3-CCD camera.
Non rolling-shutter.
rafael

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:01:28 pm

Rafael,

Not sure where you are going with this??? We didn't need to fix the shutter.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:53:48 pm

[shawn Bockoven] "Not sure where you are going with this??? We didn't need to fix the shutter."

He might be saying CCD is much easier to fix in this type of situation, and have it come out OK. Which it is.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:00:04 pm

Got it!

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:02:11 pm

Guess I could try my iPhone? ;-)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:11:57 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "He might be saying CCD is much easier to fix in this type of situation, and have it come out OK. Which it is."
Rolling Shutter doesn't happens in CCDs. Rolling shutter is a CMOS issue
No RS in the time of the betacams or in the DV times. We have started to care about RS with the arrival of the EX-1, REDs and the HDSLRS. All CMOS cameras.
The JVC is a CCD camera, so is impossible that introduces Rolling Shutter.

CCDs "freeze" the picture while the captor is being read, so every line in a picture belong to the same moment in time.
CMOS do not "freeze" the picture before reading the captor.
Each line in the picture belong to a different moment in time.
From the moment you read the first line to the moment you read the last line of a frame have happens a period of time enough to show this difference in fast moving pictures.
rafael

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:34:57 am

Not sure why this simple post turned South, but I would still like to credit a few awesome programmers. If every shoot was perfect, life would be boring. My crew is anything but lazy--they are amazing and adaptable. My clients are diverse and wonderful. The $300.00 version of FCPX saved our project. We will remember to use all the manual settings when employing our Cinealta and Panasonic 370's. ;-) After more than a simple exploration, I am starting to like this little ship ... she's exciting!

Return to posts index

David Scott
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:17:37 pm

Shawn,

Good to know that FCPX came through for you. The problem with thread is just that's it's in the Let's Bash FCPX forum where positive comments about the app aren't allowed (apparently).

David

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:36:13 pm

Hi Jeremy,
The only ridiculous thing here is a bunch of professionals praising FCPX for being able to fix Rolling Shutter on a camera that can't produce Rolling Shutter.

Sorry if my reference to the Parkinson did bothered you.
I could have said instead: From now on, people with daltonism can be colorists thanks to FCPX.
Probably you would have feel offended in behalf of the daltonics.
Anyway, at my 54 I don't care if what I say may sound politically correct or not.
I don't have to please nobody with my opinions.
There is not much merit in criticizing or censuring my posts; you know that I can't answer you properly; my English is not up to the task of getting in debates . But you can't offend me. We have spent few years around FCP, and I really respect and appreciate you. However I'm sorry for seeing you taking things that personal. Few times I saw you so disturbed (I wish I could use adjectives with the skills you do).

I'll keep doing what I've done so far in the COW: Trying to help people to take the best options and decisions. But no about FCPX; no point in trying to open people eyes when they don't want to see things (I guess you feel the same).
Rafael
BTW, I'm sure that my friends with Parkinson (I've just spent a couple of days helping one of them on how to shoot video on his Canon-550D) wouldn't feel insulted with my post.
They seem to keep better humor than FCPX video editors :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:55:08 pm

[Rafael Amador] "The only ridiculous thing here is a bunch of professionals praising FCPX for being able to fix Rolling Shutter on a camera that can't produce Rolling Shutter."

Hmm. I think this is where we might have diverged. I think he was talking about image stabilization (like SmoothCam) not rolling shutter.

[Rafael Amador] "my English is not up to the task of getting in debates "

Perhaps your comment sounds much more beautiful in Spanish (or Laotian), as many things do. For that, I apologize. Thank you also for the comments. I could also say man of the same things about you. The release FCPX has been polarizing, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:00:28 pm

I was a little confused about the way this topic went. I am pretty sure that I mentioned image stabilization, not rolling shutter. Maybe b-roll means something different to Rafael?

We are using FCS7 and FCPX here at the station. One editor jumped in both feet a few months ago--X is really starting to work for him on our short projects. He states that the speed is a welcome advantage. Not sure I would want to tackle a music video or full length TV show with this version of X. We are giving X a year to mature a little before we make a decision that we do not need make at this moment.

What's our next medical topic?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:15:54 pm

[shawn Bockoven] "What's our next medical topic?"

A few things-

Why diamond dust for chinchillas?

Or this:

Return to posts index

shawn Bockoven
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:23:27 pm

That testy video just hurts.

An example of a project we are editing on FCPX. Keep in mind that our audience is K-8. We turn these around in two days. Shot with the 370.

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:13:47 am

yes yes yes...you sound more like me everyday...screw those soft headed dummies who can't lighten up!
finally another intelligent person on this forum!

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:17:28 am

and don't apologize...just be yourself because what you say comes form the heart and then out of the mouth.....some of these guys here speak from their ass! i'm also older and should be able to say what i want without being dumped on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]